Balcony for Alaska Cruise?

koss78b2

So i done a few caribbean cruises so far, Thinking of a Alaska cruise. Would the alaska cruises be really the ones where a balcony cabin is the top thing to do? as in lots of scenery most of the time, vs just water?

Or would i be ok with interior and standing on top of the ship? to see everything. i won't find it cold as i am from canada. reason to save $ of course

So i done a few caribbean cruises so far, Thinking of a Alaska cruise. Would the alaska cruises be really the ones where a balcony cabin is the top thing to do? as in lots of scenery most of the time, vs just water?

Or would i be ok with interior and standing on top of the ship? to see everything. i won't find it cold as i am from canada. reason to save $ of course

We've done 2 Alaskan cruises. Both times we booked an oceanview room. Once we got upgraded to a verandah. Yes, having a verandah is nice, if you spend a lot of time in your room, it's nice to be able to "pop" out once in a while to see things.

But the best overall (360 degree) view is on the upper decks where you can see all around.

We wouldn't pay the extra for a verandah, but we will continue to get oceanview rooms (gotta have that natural light).

Thoughts....

• Glacier viewing days are best with balconies..... don't have to deal with chair hogs on the public decks. You do loose the 360 views by not going upstairs.
  • lot of water and islands.
  • I found the balconies a little windy... I went for a climate controlled oceanview on my followup trips. Depending on the ship... Deck 2 windows may be larger than deck one. Gophering upstairs occassionally when I wanted the 360 view.

Edited by xlxo

Spring for the AFT balcony!....it doesn't get dark until after 11pm...180 degree view all day.....we only went to the outer decks to see the glaciers calving....it was an amazing exp to sit there in my bathrobe seeing the amazing views..... ..

According to another thread, OP is considering a September cruise. It get dark much earlier than 11 pm in September.

This question comes up from time to time on the Alaska Board.

I have sailed Alaska many times.

Two key points:

You will see a lot when you are on the ship by going outside on the public decks so that you can much more of a panoramic view and see many more areas at once.

You will also see so much by doing shore excursions or other activities that take you away from the ports. There is so much to see.

If your budget allows, I would get a balcony but if the money was limited and you could either do a balcony or put the money towards plans in port for the reasons I have mentioned I would do the latter.

Keith

We did the balcony on our Alaskan cruise and wouldn't do it any other way. It rained so much of our cruise but from our balcony we were able to see everything without getting wet. Not having to fight crowds on deck to watch the scenery when we went on the glacier from our own balcony was amazing.

First, I appreciate your comment about be used to the cold. I'm from the northern US and that didn't prepare me for the damp cold of cruising Alaska. The wind in Glacier Bay cuts right through you. Get an aft balcony and go back inside when you get cold. In my experience, it's only kids that use the pool. Too cold.

I would never cruise in anything less than a balcony cabin...despite the weather, I like being able to access the outside directly from my room....no need to dress or put on makeup, or any of that preparation for public spaces! Of course, you have a limited view from the balcony, so I never suggest just parking yourself there, and never leaving! But...for a breath of fresh air, you can't beat it!

It really depends on your 'cabin personality'. Can you travel in an inside for a week?

We've had both a balcony cabin and an ocean view cabin for Alaska. Next time we'd probably book the OV again.

Balconies are fine, but not a must have. If you have a balcony and spend a lot of time on it you miss a large part of the scenery that is AK. To full appreciate the view you have to get out of the cabin so you have a 360 degree view.

We loved our verandah on our Alaska cruise as much as on all our Caribbean, European, Canada and Panama Canal cruises. We were lucky to have great weather and spent lots of time enjoying the magnificent views.

Verandah for us always has been a must have since sailing on a ship that had no verandahs. Never again. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I would highly recommend a balcony. We used it on our Alaskan cruise more than any other cruise weVe been on. When sailing the inner passage, your ship is very close to land for much of the trip. Sitting on our balcony and enjoying the view- all the little towns, beautiful scenery, etc- was an experience like no other.

I would highly recommend a balcony. We used it on our Alaskan cruise more than any other cruise weVe been on. When sailing the inner passage, your ship is very close to land for much of the trip. Sitting on our balcony and enjoying the view- all the little towns, beautiful scenery, etc- was an experience like no other.

We had an Oceanview stateroom on our first Alaska cruise, and then a balcony. If it's in the budget, it is always nice to have the view and fresh air that a balcony offers, no matter what the itinerary. And like 1travelinggal, we really enjoyed it while sailing the Inside Passage. I was out there very early in the morning in pjs- taking pictures, enjoying the scenery, and a hot chocolate. :)

I like privacy and solitude so for me, we are DEFINITELY grabbing a balcony or suite for our AK cruise when it happens.

also just on general principals I refuse to ever do an inside

If I absolutely couldn't afford a balcony I would do an inside cabin, but I loved having the balcony on our Alaskan cruise. It was amazing to wake up and see the glaciers and step outside to the absolute quiet, see the chunks of blue ice floating on the water as smooth as glass. We saw more whales from our balcony than we did on a whale watching excursion! It was really crowded on the upper deck and getting a minute at the railing to get a good picture was challenging.