Beds on Grandeur of the Seas are the worst.

JKrise

We sailed on GoS on October 24th sailing. We had an ocean view room on deck 2. I slept quite well on our mattress all week. Our room attendant told us that at one of our port stops that they switched out 700 mattress that week and were working there way down from top to bottom on all the staterooms. He said they worked on deck seven that week.

Also as far as the pillows go, my wife requested two extra pillows(she is used to sleeping with 3). The attendant offered like three different kinds to choose from.

Yes, we did mention it. The response was 'I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately we do not have any replacement or spare mattresses on board. Please feel free to include your issue in the post cruise survey you will receive via email. '

No mattresses to spare, I cannot believe that, NO HOTEL, or CRUISE SHIP would not have a few new mattress available for emergency replacement.

I have had a few that were uncomfortable and broken on the edges that you would feel that you were rolling off. The room steward did something and they were manageable. Also age crates were on some beds with out asking???????

I guess just another cut back in cost again.

Just off grandeur of the seas from a 10 day cruise.

The beds are absolutely the worst I have ever slept on. Talking to others on board they have the same opinion.

Mattresses sink in the middle, are lumpy, and the pillows are the thinnest and flattest I have experienced.

Be prepared for a horrible nights sleep.

Sorry didn't mean to giggle but was just recently on two Grandeur sailings and slept like a baby both cruises!........:)

Sorry didn't mean to giggle but was just recently on two Grandeur sailings and slept like a baby both cruises!........:)

Hope that's the case. We leave on Grandeur on Dec 9th. Due to all the recent bad bed reports, we are bringing our own topper just in case. DW really uses cruises to get rest. So far we have never had a bad bed experience, but don't want to have the first either.

Hope that's the case. We leave on Grandeur on Dec 9th. Due to all the recent bad bed reports, we are bringing our own topper just in case. DW really uses cruises to get rest. So far we have never had a bad bed experience, but don't want to have the first either.

Been on the Grandeur lots of times and will be on the Dec. 9th cruise too. I have never had any trouble with the beds. Let's hope I didn't speak too soon!!!!:rolleyes:

Have a great cruise....because if you do, I probably will too! :p;)

Gwen :)

I am on the Grandeur now, deck 3 outside. Beds are hard as a rock and pillows are thin. Blanket is too heavy, but I would freeze without it. Woke up in a sweat most nights. This is not like HAL Signature of Excellence or whatever it is called where people want to purchase the matress to take home.

I do not like the heavy comforter they put on the beds so I just ask my room steward when he comes in on the first day to please remove it and bring me a regular blanket. They are always happy to do that so ask your room steward about getting a blanket.

Edited by dixieva

I am on the Grandeur now, deck 3 outside. Beds are hard as a rock and pillows are thin. Blanket is too heavy, but I would freeze without it. Woke up in a sweat most nights. This is not like HAL Signature of Excellence or whatever it is called where people want to purchase the matress to take home.

Hard as a rock is exactly my requirement.Hopefully it will be that way when I am on the Dec.9 cruise.

Lenny

We sailed on GoS on October 24th sailing. We had an ocean view room on deck 2. I slept quite well on our mattress all week. Our room attendant told us that at one of our port stops that they switched out 700 mattress that week and were working there way down from top to bottom on all the staterooms. He said they worked on deck seven that week.

Also as far as the pillows go, my wife requested two extra pillows(she is used to sleeping with 3). The attendant offered like three different kinds to choose from.

I agree that Grandeur's beds are awful; lumpy, thin and my last one had a trough in the middle as if had recently been vacated by an elephant.

I have found that asking for extras of the too-heavy comforters for padding helps. I take my own blanket and pillow as well.

We are really particular about our pillows, so we just travel with our own. The mattress wasn't very good and as others have mentioned, they were so low to the floor that some luggage didn't fit underneath. We had to pull the sofa out from the wall in order to create space to store our larger bag.

Edited by mek

We are really particular about our pillows, so we just travel with our own. The mattress wasn't very good and as others have mentioned, they were so low to the floor that some luggage didn't fit underneath. We had to pull the sofa out from the wall in order to create space to store our larger bag.

Next time when the bag won't fit, try putting it under the beg opened.

That CAN make a world of difference and we'll do anything to keep those big bags out of the closet.

Back on topic, we cruised Grandeur last April and had a comfy bed in our Aft JS. In the end, sleeping on your own comfortable mattress eases the "pain" that comes with the end of a cruise. ;)

Tried that, it didn't work. :-( It really wasn't a big deal to pull the sofa out a little, just the first time I haven't been able to get all of my bags under the bed.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the Grandeur in April. We are worried about the bed. My boyfriend has bad arthritis in his neck. We are thinking about bringing an air mattress to put on top of the mattress. Is that allowed? Would you recommend that we do that?

We are going on the Grandeur in April. We are worried about the bed. My boyfriend has bad arthritis in his neck. We are thinking about bringing an air mattress to put on top of the mattress. Is that allowed? Would you recommend that we do that?

If you are referring to an inflatable air mattress, then it would be allowed.

Just received an email from corporate stating they would place bed blocks under our Grandeur bed to raise it higher off the floor, this will be helpful If they will actually do it! I am taking the email to share with the Housekeeping Supervisor If there is a problem. Now we can only hope for a decent mattress! I just feel like we shouldn't have to beg for comfort!

Just received an email from corporate stating they would place bed blocks under our Grandeur bed to raise it higher off the floor, this will be helpful If they will actually do it! I am taking the email to share with the Housekeeping Supervisor If there is a problem. Now we can only hope for a decent mattress! I just feel like we shouldn't have to beg for comfort!

I wish we would have known about this or about opening up the suitcase. When I pulled my hard sided Samsonite out from under the bed to pack it, it had a crack in the corner.

I don't understand why they don't use the straps to secure the beds together rather than just use "tighter sheeting" (what I was told by guest services they were requesting from the housekeeping supervisor on my deck when I went to see if anything could be done so I didn't wake up with half my body between the beds) to try and hold them together. If I have the same issue on my Brilliance cruise, I'm going to be very tempted to just have my attendant separate the beds. I hate the thought of sleeping in a twin bed for 11 nights, but if I have a similar experience to the Radiance this past summer, I might as well be in a twin bed.

I may not have liked much about Holland America, but they not only strap the beds together, they put something in the "divot" to even it out. MUCH more comfortable - especially for someone solo who prefers to "starfish it up".

For me, Disney wins this one hands-down with the QUEEN SIZE BED in the cabin! No need for straps or "tighter sheeting". Plus the beds are super comfy!