Southern caribbean ports

bubbadogmom

Hi, me again :)

Looking at a southern Caribbean 7 night on Summit.

I'm deciding between which 2 cruises we should take - I'm also reading on the port boards but looking for more input too.

They are both on Summit - out of San Juan.

Cruise #1 - Dec 3/16

St Croix USVI

Fort Du France

Roseau, Dominca

Bassattere, St Kitts

Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas (we've been here)

Cruise #2 - Nov 12/16

Bridgetown Barbados

Castries, St Lucia

St Johns, Antigua

Phillipsberg, St Maarten (we've been here)

Charlotte Amalie St Thomas (we've been here)

Edited by bubbadogmom

I'm deciding between which 2 cruises we should take - I'm also reading on the port boards but looking for more input too.

Cruise #1 - Dec 3/16

St Croix USVI

Fort Du France

Roseau, Dominca

Bassattere, St Kitts

Cruise #2 - Nov 12/16

Bridgetown Barbados

Castries, St Lucia

St Johns, Antigua

We did Cruise 2 on the Summit in March of this year. We loved it even if Barbados was the only new port for us.

I have been to all the ports on Cruise 1. I really loved Dominica. It is probably my favorite port in the Caribbean.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Maybe it you told us what types of things you like to do in port we might be able to tell you which one we think offers the best of what you like.

We've done most of these ports, some several times. I'd be inclined to go with #2, but would be happy with either.

What day of the week is Fort du France scheduled for? I ask because there is limited activity on Sunday. That would further influence my decision in favour of #2.

Hard choice...

choice 1

Dominica is beautiful....not typical Carib port...very natural.not sure of recent storm impact. We enjoy St Kitts.

St Croix held no appeal...disappointing, esp where ship docks.

never been to the other port yet..going in Jan.looks nice

choice 2..That's what I'd pick

all great ports..

Which dates work best for you for airfare, hotel etc?

Having been to all these ports I would say the two itineraries are a tossup for us. Dominica and Martinique are less commonly stopped at by cruises so itinerary #1 might have some attraction for that reason. Plus, Dominica is really environmentally unique (a gorgeous rain forested volcanic island) compared to many other islands. Martinique is actually a French department (like a US state) and not just a colonial possession so one gets a quite bit more flavor of France than on other islands. Itinerary #2 main attractions for us would be Barbados and St. Lucia. Either itinerary is really good so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

We've done all the listed ports and like them all. Martinique was our least favorite. If we had to only choose one of the itineraries it would be itinerary number 2. However we do a B2B Cruise. Good luck with your decision. Can't go wrong with either itinerary.

Edited by davekathy

Thanks so much everyone.

The airfare I can't get at yet - too early.

I can now get the hotel I wanted (Embassy Suites) on either date, so I'm open -

I don't know - I might just toss a coin now. Everyone seems to like them both!

Thanks so much everyone.

Can't go wrong with either itinerary. Embassy Suites is a good choice. There is a Publix Supermarket around the corner that has everything you forgot plus wine.

Thanks so much everyone.

I like the idea that was posted of B2B if you just stayed on the ship is the 2nd week close to the other itinerary? ;)

I like the idea that was posted of B2B if you just stayed on the ship is the 2nd week close to the other itinerary? ;)

I wish!! ;)

But no. A 7 day cruise is the max I can do unfortunately. Limited vacation time - plus, I love my mom but after 9 days - that's enough! lol

Although now I'm not sure if I can even do this cruise :(

My plan - which isn't looking good, was to fly down on the Thursday - stay 2 nights, (at the lovely Embassy Suites) then the cruise was Saturday to Saturday, and fly home right after.

BUT - I really REALLY don't want to have connecting flights/stops. Many of what I've seen make for crazy long days, like 12 -18 hours. That's just too long for my mom.

I have options for flights but it does not look good. WestJet was looking promising with a non-stop flight and a decent price, but they only fly on Saturdays, and I won't risk flying in the day of the cruise.

I can fly out of Detroit too, but I don't see any non stops.

Of course this is all a guessing game at this time because the cruise is November 2016 and flights aren't released that far yet, but I'm just looking at current flights now and Feb/March to see the flight patterns.

I'll just keep looking.....and cross my fingers that I find air that works.

I wish!! ;)

But no. A 7 day cruise is the max I can do unfortunately. Limited vacation time - plus, I love my mom but after 9 days - that's enough! lol

Although now I'm not sure if I can even do this cruise :(

My plan - which isn't looking good, was to fly down on the Thursday - stay 2 nights, (at the lovely Embassy Suites) then the cruise was Saturday to Saturday, and fly home right after.

BUT - I really REALLY don't want to have connecting flights/stops. Many of what I've seen make for crazy long days, like 12 -18 hours. That's just too long for my mom.

I have options for flights but it does not look good. WestJet was looking promising with a non-stop flight and a decent price, but they only fly on Saturdays, and I won't risk flying in the day of the cruise.

I can fly out of Detroit too, but I don't see any non stops.

Of course this is all a guessing game at this time because the cruise is November 2016 and flights aren't released that far yet, but I'm just looking at current flights now and Feb/March to see the flight patterns.

I'll just keep looking.....and cross my fingers that I find air that works.

What if you broke the flight home over 2 days, having an overnight layover somewhere on the way home? I've had to do this a couple times for trips and it doesn't work out too bad, the airline will only check your luggage to the overnight stop so you have everything with you and you can usually get a decent airport hotel with free shuttle fairly cheap.

What if you broke the flight home over 2 days, having an overnight layover somewhere on the way home? I've had to do this a couple times for trips and it doesn't work out too bad, the airline will only check your luggage to the overnight stop so you have everything with you and you can usually get a decent airport hotel with free shuttle fairly cheap.

I've done that a number of times. It makes a great vacation even greater think about it. In fact two days is not enough often.

Edited by A Sixth?

We would pick #2 The Jolly Beach club in Antigua has a beautiful beach with breathtaking colors of blue water and the Calabazza catamaran snorkel and swim with the turtles trip in Barbados is the best! Gina caters to the older folks and her crew couldn't be nicer-google Calabazza cruises in Barbados. The Antigua beach has the nicest "miniature" sea shells, we bring some home each time we go.... Happy choosing!

Cruise #1 - Dec 3/16

St Croix USVI

Fort Du France

Roseau, Dominca

Bassattere, St Kitts

Cruise #2 - Nov 12/16

Bridgetown Barbados

Castries, St Lucia

St Johns, Antigua

Do #2 but sail on Nov 26, 2016. Then you can sail with me!!!:D