Regal Princess

beshears

I am "thinking" of cruising on the Regal Princess.

We do like the sand/beach, but not snorkling, and like to tour areas.

If you have done the Regal within the past year, would you give me your pros/cons of this ship?

If you have done the Regal within the past year, would you give me your pros/cons of this ship?

You told us what you like to do off the ship. What do you like to do on the ship so people can talk to your specifics. Just about any ship will take you to sand and beaches.

Regal/Royal are the best ships that Princess has.

We cruised on the Regal twice in 13 months. We enjoyed it. Made a point to choose a room with extended balcony on both. We enjoy balcony life and find the average size teeny.

Food,entertainment and service just fine for us.

There are many threads/reviews on this class of ship - and your question about off-shore activities doesn't really pertain. Having said that we've been on the Regal twice in the last year and really enjoyed the amenities. We also enjoy the Grand class ships and suspect we'd like the "little girls" as well! We are Princess fans basically......so to get any real information I'd suggest you ask more succinct questions......happy sailing!

Just off the Regal, Nov 29-Dec13, and it was easily one of the best cruises we have completed on Princess. Great ship, activities, entertainment was fantastic. Already booked for 21 days next November. :D

I did the Canada / New England cruise tour Oct/ Nov on the Regal. I did not like the size of the ship. It was too big. The buffet has three different areas so it was impossible to do a walk around to see what you want first and then come back to get it. we couldn't find seats in the theatre on one night arriving 15 minutes early so arrive at least a half hour before show time. I would not sail on the Regal again.

The ship is beautiful and the service was good. The MDR menu's didn't interest me, too many dishes were cheap foods like turkey, meatloaf. Gone are the more interesting dishes like veal oscar.

You may love the Regal so take opinions with a grain of salt of course.

The buffet has three different areas so it was impossible to do a walk around to see what you want first and then come back to get it.

I'm confused. Why does having different areas make it impossible to look around and go back and get what you want?

I did the Canada / New England cruise tour Oct/ Nov on the Regal. I did not like the size of the ship. It was too big. The buffet has three different areas so it was impossible to do a walk around to see what you want first and then come back to get it. we couldn't find seats in the theatre on one night arriving 15 minutes early so arrive at least a half hour before show time. I would not sail on the Regal again.

The ship is beautiful and the service was good. The MDR menu's didn't interest me, too many dishes were cheap foods like turkey, meatloaf. Gone are the more interesting dishes like veal oscar.

The ship is large, one of the things we found great about it, very seldom found ourselves bumping into people; we found the buffet very good once we learned the layout; never had any trouble quickly observing the signs up indicating the "type of food" being served; never had trouble finding seating inside or outside; excellent advice about the theater, arrive AT LEAST 30 minutes early. Ate in the DR 1 time and found the food good but IMHO found the food in the buffet better quality and choices.

We were on the Regal for 2 weeks in Nov and Dec 2015. I know you have your opinion and that is what it is. Your opinion. Ours was totally different. This was our 3rd cruise on the Regal this year and we have booked another on Regal. We have even been on the Royal, too.

1. never found the ship too big. We cruise Allure and Oasis OTS. Now those are BIG.

2. Buffet on Regal and Royal are the best of any ship we have been on. However, we have only been on over 90 cruises. That include Celebrity S-Class, RCI Big Ships, HAL, etc.

3.Yes, don't try to go into the show (early one) 15 minutes before. Get there earlier and you will find a seat. Too many people walk in 5 minutes before a show and then complain they can't find a seat.

4. We just got off of Celebrity Eclipse and the food on that ship was really poor compare to REgal. Celebrity had Pork n Beans, Meatloaf, too. There was much more of a selection, quality and choice on REgal than Celebrity.

5. Specialty Restaurants - Princess hands down. Better food, quality and price. Princess is only $25/person. Celebrity is $45 - 50/person.

So, based on your opinion and ours, each posting must be read with some care.

Sorry you are missing out on such a GREAT SHIP - REGAL.

We love her and her sister - ROYAL.

Edited by Oxo

I'm confused. Why does having different areas make it impossible to look around and go back and get what you want?

Because of the size. The Horizon court is very big and there are 3 different areas for food and for seating. It seemed i was always on the far side of what I wanted. By the time I did the last area the food on my plate wasn't hot / warm anymore. That's just my opinion, you might love it. I did like the expanded food choices they had.

The H/C is very big on Regal and there are so many choices that it can be difficult. I would walk around to see what was available before I even picked up a plate. By the time I was through walking, I some times forgot what I saw or where I saw it.

Tough problem to have. It's the best buffet afloat.

Regal/Royal are the best ships that Princess has.
I could not disagree more. In my opinion the Royal/Regal are just fine as floating resorts. Without adequate interior or exterior sea views, they totally fail me as cruise SHIPS. There is not a single place, except for the extra cost Sanctuary, to get a forward view. They are the least favorite of the 11 Princess ships I have been on. I really did like the HC even if some of the items were put in strange (to me) locations. Edited by mreasier

Just off the Regal last week. The Horizon Court/Bistro reminded me, both in set up and presentation, of a college cafeteria. The only difference was that someone would bring me a beverage and clear my dirty dishes. Other than that - completely underwhelmed.

Oh my, THANK you everyone for ALL your responses. You have given me an idea of what this Regal ship (yes YOUR opinion) is like to navigate in some areas. It does sound like a large ship, but nice, and the Horizon court is one to really "think" about, before deciding/trying to remember what location the food that you want, is at. :)

OK, one of my question is (I believe one of you went to Alaska, but I'm not for sure. If you went to the Caribbean, and NOT to Cozumel (I really like Cozumel, but I have been there so many times, I would like a "change.:)), what other port/islands did you visit?

We have just got home from our Xmas cruise, here is why I would not hesitate to go on the ship again.

1) It is beautiful, and very stable (we had strong winds and rocking was minimal).

2) Piazza has bars and restaurants all around, making it a real hub of activity for joining in or just people watching.

3) International cafe, open 24 hours, coffees and pastries are wonderful.

4) This will change of course, but our cruise director Paul and his assistant Simone were wonderful and we actually wanted to watch the WAKE SHOW each morning. The VOICE show was really good, we have never seen that on TV, but very impressed by the talent of fellow passengers.

5) Retreat area and pool - comfortable and quiet.

6) Movies under the stars saw two really good movies, one in the afternoon and one at night

7) Food in the main dining rooms was very good.... excellent wine too.

8) Very few ship-wide announcements and no hard sell for drinks, photos etc etc which are getting out of control on other lines.

9) Horizon Court - loved the lay-out, the choice and the ability to sit outside at the back to eat

10) Really comfy bed in our cabin.

Edited by Vacation Nut

• 2 weeks later...
Just off the Regal last week. The Horizon Court/Bistro reminded me, both in set up and presentation, of a college cafeteria. The only difference was that someone would bring me a beverage and clear my dirty dishes. Other than that - completely underwhelmed.

If that disappointed you, don't ever sail on any other of the Princess ships. You'll really hate them.

Our first experience with REGAL was B2B, Nov 3 - 15, 2015. We liked the ship a lot. I would not say it's perfect, but it's a lovely ship and quite spacious.

Lots of deck space, great beds, much better buffet (HC) area, great staff and service (okay all the ships have that), nice DR's (didn't feel much like we were crowded in). I could go on.

It is a long walk from front to back, but don't mind the exercise. It was still relatively easy to get around. Not so excited over the Sanctuary on this ship - other than the view and quiet. Warm and hard to avoid sun compared to some other ships. Anything negative had a positive too.