A Day in the Life of a Crew Member

partybarbie

I hope you are not implying that just because my friend had passenger status (which I am well aware of) that she did not have a challenging and difficult job, because she did.

A dining contract on princess is for 390 hours per month

(some are for 'only' 330).

This doesn't include training, crew drills, inspections, etc.

Singers hours? No so much.

The singers I know have a single cabin, with bath,

and with a port hole.

The waiters, juniors, etc. have a double inside cabin that

shares a bath with the next cabin.

I agree. On Cunard we met one the harpists. She dined at a table along side of us in the Princess Grill. I doubt a cabin steward would have such cushy accommodations.

the lass that took us on the ultimate tour said most crew cabins were like the passengers i know entertainers cabins were near the mooring area at the bow .

Our waitress on our last cruise didn't have a lot of other tables (we eat late) and we ended up talking to her a lot.

She said she had worked for two other cruise lines and that Princess treated their employees a lot better than the other two!

thats what i gathered from what some said when talking to them about other ships and how they are treated etc

All the entertainers have the cushiest jobs on the ships compared any of the working crew. They have much better hours, able to mingle with passengers and can pick up extra money volunteering for fill in jobs around the ship during their time off during the day + they can tour most ports/beaches that they wish to when not in rehearsals.

i know on golden that the crew can volunteer to help in the theatre etc for extra money was told that when i did the tour of the princess theatre on what those jobs were etc

i know on golden that the crew can volunteer to help in the theatre etc for extra money was told that when i did the tour of the princess theatre on what those jobs were etc

I've seen them volunteer for things like helping out in the internet cafe and photo shots leaving the ship. I don't know if they help out in the kids area or not but there must be other places where there are occasional opportunities.

I've seen them volunteer for things like helping out in the internet cafe and photo shots leaving the ship. I don't know if they help out in the kids area or not but there must be other places where there are occasional opportunities.

yes i reckon so too Golden some sung songs etc at a show at the end of the cruise had a rapper who was awesome one lass sung the bodyguard song and did a ripper job of it our cruise director got involved a lot in shows throughout the cruise as well as his helpers it was great

Hi All

There is nothing wrong with the video, its one view, hopefully folks will get to

see the new below decks tv show of the Regal that UK gets this summer, 6 hrs

of no doubt well edited material.

Now like many here I have friends that work below decks and they have

amazing stories to tell, like the Princess ship that did a TA crossing controlled

by a couple of engineers using lap tops after a computer glitch on the bridge.

yours Shogun

The post was entitled "A day in the life of a crew member". While the entertainers are generally very good at what they do, which just happens to be done on a ship, in this context I would have expected someone more directly involved in the operation of the ship, or perhaps the hospitality side of things, who doesn't normally get a lot of "face time" with the passengers.

I know that the crew members work the ships because they can make more money than at home. However, if anyone really believes the happy and smiling and "they treat me wonderful" propaganda in that video that BTW was created by Princess - I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

DON

That video, and others regarding the ships, can be found on Princess' website. It can be found on their front page, toward the bottom under "More information." I found it a couple weeks ago while looking for something else. It shows the infirmary and the laundry facilities.

Obviously it is Princess "PR" to recruit employees, but since my friend, who had worked on Princess ships for 14 years shared it on her Facebook page with me, I think it is somewhat factual.

It is factual...we know Nicole, the Cruise Staff gal who did a lot of the talking and what she says is exactly how she really feels about working for the cruise line.

And we have spoken with many other crew members who have worked on other lines and the large majority say that Princess treats them the best.

So, thank you for sharing this!! :)

I saw a young woman who cleaned the public bathrooms on our last Princess cruise crying. When I ask her what was wrong, she told me "tears of joy".

She and her husband (floor cleaner) had both been told today their contracts had been renewed and would be working on the same ship when they returned from their 3 month leave.

She's not the first person I've seen who was so happy to have contracts renewed.

LuLu

I saw a young woman who cleaned the public bathrooms on our last Princess cruise crying. When I ask her what was wrong, she told me "tears of joy".

She and her husband (floor cleaner) had both been told today their contracts had been renewed and would be working on the same ship when they returned from their 3 month leave.

She's not the first person I've seen who was so happy to have contracts renewed.

LuLu

So true, because for most crew it is the path to security.

A dining contract on princess is for 390 hours per month (some are for 'only' 330). This doesn't include training, crew drills, inspections, etc.

390 hours a month equals 13 hours a day. It might have been that number of hours some time in the past, but not now.:) All crew have to fill out a timesheet every day and they are not permitted to work more than 70 hours in a week. This includes everything involved in their job - working, training and drills. 13 hours a day equals 91 hours a week. This timesheet is a legal document and has to be signed by the crew member and his/her supervisor.

390 hours a month equals 13 hours a day. It might have been that number of hours some time in the past, but not now.:)

I recently saw a current waiter's contract.

I know it's crazy on cruise critic, but I checked before I posted.

Perhaps there are different rules in Australia.

I recently saw a current waiter's contract.

I know it's crazy on cruise critic, but I checked before I posted.

Perhaps there are different rules in Australia.

i think there is i remember hearing something a while ago on this subject , on the news ? or reading it in the paper i forget but thought i did hear something on it