Does RCL still care about Special Events?

They used to give free cakes but then you had those who SAID it was their birthday or someone in their party's birthday just to get the free cake and the attention. That's why they stopped.
Don't know about anyone else but to me this sounds more like an excuse than a reason.:rolleyes:

On the Vision, Capt. Marek Slaby announces the first names, when doing the noon time updates, for every one who's birthday is on that day. Then again, Capt Marek is not your ordinary Captain. Usually there are five to ten names announced each day.

Obviously the ship knows which pax are celebrating a birthday - from your profile records, I assume. Don't they (the ship's personnel) put up those door decorations (signs & ballons for birthdays and anniversaries) that I see throughout the hallways. Not sure if they have to be bought.

Edited by Tagsalong

It's on the cruiseline if they irritated themselves by bringing free stuff to people whose birthday it wasn't. They, after all, have our birthdate information right there in front of them. :)

Our TA asked about our upcoming cruise. We are taking it b/c of Dh's birthday, and we'll be enjoying a sea day ON his b'day. It's right there on our reservation, too, that we're celebrating his b'day.

I think I'll buy him a tiara. ;)

Then celebrate his birthday. I don't get the fuss adults wants strangers to make over things like birthdays. I can't imagine wearing something that screams "give me attention".

Notifying in advance makes no difference. We returned from the Grandeur for the Thanksgiving cruise. We celebrated our 50 th wedding anniversary. The ship did nothing. We stayed in the owners suite. Our cabin steward left the towel love birds the wrong day. Done with Royal Caribbean.

CONGRATULATIONS on your wedding anniversary!!

50 years WOW

How lucky you are.

Safe travels.

Then celebrate his birthday. I don't get the fuss adults wants strangers to make over things like birthdays. I can't imagine wearing something that screams "give me attention".

I don't get it either. I think it was Dave Barry who said there's an age when people should stop expecting others to make a big fuss over their birthday - that age is 12. And to choose another cruiseline because no one made a fuss over your anniversary? Seriously?

I don't get it either. I think it was Dave Barry who said there's an age when people should stop expecting others to make a big fuss over their birthday - that age is 12. And to choose another cruiseline because no one made a fuss over your anniversary? Seriously?

I agree with you. Being on the cruise is celebration enough for me. I don't care about birthdays and being with my husband on my anniversary is all I need. I don't need others to acknowledge.

I agree with you. Being on the cruise is celebration enough for me. I don't care about birthdays and being with my husband on my anniversary is all I need. I don't need others to acknowledge.

Agreed! I'm doing my Med/Venice cruise to celebrate my 45th birthday (the actual day is a week after debarkation, but I wanted Venice more than Ephesus, so I went with the cruise that's not over the day itself), but I'm not making a big deal about it. I might order champagne and strawberries or something for my cabin, but that's about it. Since it's not over the day itself, I'm definitely not expecting anything, but if it was over the day I wouldn't expect anything either. If something happens, bonus, but I'm not going to be crying because "Nobody did anything!" I'm going to be having the time of my life on my cruise and excursions!

The concept of not fussing over someone on their birthday after a certain age makes me sad. Everyone deserves to receive special attention every now and then. If we can't do that every day, we certainly should try to do so on special occasions. Has society reached the point where people aren't even supposed to enjoy their birthday anymore? And I can definitely see how celebrating a very special occasion like a 50th anniversary can be an important part of choosing a cruise. Rant over.

We use a TA exclusively. He always puts birthdays and anniversary in our booking when we celebrate them.

Have never missed one yet and sometimes the staff goes above and beyond to help us celebrate!

Nearly every evening meal in the MDR there are several events being celebrated with the staff singing - we chime in if seating nearby!

Edited by Scotty G

EVERYONE is celebrating something.

Yep, and when everyone is celebrating something, no one's special occasion is special anymore:

Yes, we're celebrating our daughter's birthday, which was in June -- it's now December.

We're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, which was last month.

We're celebrating because our son will be graduating in a few months.

We're both turning 50, and we split the difference between our birthdays.

When people start stretching dates like this, the cruise line can't keep up with something for everyone -- and, really, no one cares except your own family.

The concept of not fussing over someone on their birthday after a certain age makes me sad. Everyone deserves to receive special attention every now and then. If we can't do that every day, we certainly should try to do so on special occasions. Has society reached the point where people aren't even supposed to enjoy their birthday anymore? And I can definitely see how celebrating a very special occasion like a 50th anniversary can be an important part of choosing a cruise. Rant over.

Celebrating a birthday with friends and family -- of course!

Expecting a business to provide you with special attention and a free dessert because it's your birthday (especially if your birthday was really two months ago, but you prefer to sail in this season) ... or expecting complete strangers to become involved in your celebration ... no.

As you say, 'celebrating a very special occasion like a 50th anniversary can be an important part of choosing a cruise' -- well, I ask - why does the cruise line need to be part of the celebrating.....it should be the loved ones of the couple or the person celebrating something special.

I did not expect the cruise line to acknowledge in any way, when I sailed over my 60th birthday....my hubby did, by having us go on the cruise.

I don't expect the cruise line to acknowledge my 65th birthday when we schedule that one.....but my hubby will....and that really is all that matters.

Our very first cruise was on Freedom. We had noted in the online checkin that it was my birthday and that we were celebrating our retirement. We got two cakes, one said Happy Birthday, the other Happy Retirement. Both on the same night. The waiter thought it a bit funny. So did we.

Selected Royal Caribbean Grandeur because it was the exact time of our 50th. We sailed 5 years before on Cunard and the complementary gifts were amazing. Royal Caribbean is a disgrace. We sailed with our entire family (14) 7 cabins all jnior suites and we were owner suite. The concierge Francis helped make our celebration special. The cruise line dud nothing. No more Royal for me.

On my last cruise, I turned 50. When booking the cruise, the RCI agent asked if there was a special occasion and I told her. I did not expect anything special on board and I did not receive anything.......except an invitation to have my very own personal attendant at the jewelry store......lol

Hah! Just got off Freedom last week where we celebrated my step dad's birthday. When booking they asked if we were celebrating anything special....I told them about my step dad's BD ...3 days before the date, he got a birthday card in the stateroom...that's it. On the correct date, I had arranged for a special dessert and for them to sing happy birthday...I even called and confirmed that with dining the morning of, saying yes they would have the cake, candle & sing...you guessed it, NOTHING happened...they didn't acknowledge in anyway that it was his birthday! I was so disappointed. The waiters said they had never been told...so if you want this...make sure you check and double check and triple check since no one communicates.

Edited by sharpasice

Selected Royal Caribbean Grandeur because it was the exact time of our 50th. We sailed 5 years before on Cunard and the complementary gifts were amazing. Royal Caribbean is a disgrace. We sailed with our entire family (14) 7 cabins all jnior suites and we were owner suite. The concierge Francis helped make our celebration special. The cruise line dud nothing. No more Royal for me.

1. I cannot believe that you are comparing Cunard and Royal Caribbean.

2. Who do you think Francis IS? He IS Royal Caribbean. If Francis made your celebration special, then Royal Caribbean made your celebration special.

<smh>

In the past I thought there was some place in the reservation to indicate that you are celebrating some special event on the cruise, I can't seem to find the place to provide that information. Can someone help or doesn't RCL care if I'm celebrating a birthday, anniversary, etc?

Just off Allure Yesterday. We sailed the day after my son's college graduation. I called RCI and told them about the celebration.

On the day of our choice and restaurant of our choice, the waiters put a candle in Chris's choice of dessert and sang, "for he's a jolly good fellow'. They offered him a free drink and a 2nd dessert.

On the Morning show, we had a very nice announcement read by the announcer. They read it every half hour from midnight until noon. It was really nice.

We brought decorations and the room steward hung them up for us to surprise our son when he returned from dinner (you can buy decorations from RCI - but not for graduation). We gave the room steward an extra tip.

Expecting a business to provide you with special attention and a free dessert because it's your birthday (especially if your birthday was really two months ago, but you prefer to sail in this season) ... or expecting complete strangers to become involved in your celebration ... no.

Couldnt agree more!

Royal Caribbean is a BUSINESS. It is not your friend or your close family. Business. Earning money.

So you and Dave Berry want to strike a significant blow to an entire industry. After all, Sweet Sixteen parties just became a thing of the past, can't be celebrating or drawing attention to people who are turning 21 (very significant in many states) or having a "milestone" birthday like 30, 40, 50, 60...even 90 or 100...after all, millions reach the age of 100 every year.

Regular posters, especially those who defend RCI at every possible opportunity, are always going on and on about how amazing the crew is and how hard they work to make your cruise a glorious time. However, that same crew cannot find the expertise, time or energy to make a small gesture for a customer who is spending (in some cases) thousands of dollars with their employer when Joe Schmuck at Bobby Joe Jim Bob Bar and Grill can manage to pull it off for a customer they may never see again who is spending $20 that night.

SMH...

Side note:

For us it was easy to place an announcement on RCI:

On Oasis class ships, just fill out a designated card near Starbucks with your comments and it will be on next days show if you make it by time limit.

On other class ships I have seen box by customer service on the Promenade.

Enjoy

Yep. With up to 6000 people onboard it makes no sense for them to do something for every birthday, anniversary etc.

When I booked my last cruise they still asked if we were celebrating anything, which we are/were as we usually cruise on our anniversary. I see it reflected on my reservation as well. I've already booked Chops for that evening as I did last cruise and we will probably get some recognition/singing as we did last May.