MDR Breakfast .. Stinks .. Why All The Love On Here ?

F27TW

The clear emerging pattern is those who exclusively sail Royal like it just fine. Those that have sailed other lines realized that Royal just isn't as good in this area.

Wrong. My celebrity cruise the bacon everywhere was so salty it was inedible. Buffet and MDR. And the sausage was blood only. Sorry to all you Brits, I tried it once and just couldn't learn to like it.

The clear emerging pattern is those who exclusively sail Royal like it just fine. Those that have sailed other lines realized that Royal just isn't as good in this area.

That would be an 'assumption' and not a an emerging pattern.

Service was too long, staff was not particularly friendly, and I definitely don't want to sit with strangers in the morning.

Improve the service time, willingly accomodate groups of any size, and we might be interested. The herding of people to fill tables is not my idea of good service.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I just read yet another trip report that talked about how bad the MDR breakfast experience is. And in my own experience its been terrible too .. every time.

Long waits for barely mediocre food .. surly, disinterested servers .. food arriving cold .. small portions.. toast that was like cardboard from having been toasted hours before .. warm juice, etc etc ..

MDR breakfast pretty much stinks ... yet there are are still people on here that rave about the experience and tell people not to miss it.

Why?

I'm on your side, though you're exaggerating a bit (while breakfast typically isn't piping hot in the MDR, it isn't poor quality). I don't like waiting to be seated /don't like being seated with strangers at breakfast. People often claim the table service is superior to helping yourself, and they have trouble finding tables in the buffet -- complaints that, in my experience, have no basis in fact.

Plus, the selection is better in the buffet. Our favorite things: Eggs cooked to order, Miso soup, and fresh fruit we can pick ourselves.

However, to give the devil his due, the MDR does two things better than the buffet: Bread-based breakfasts (pancakes or French toast) and Eggs Benedict. Those things are enough to get us to visit the MDR perhaps twice during a week-long cruise.

Lunch and dinner are different.

However, to give the devil his due, the MDR does two things better than the buffet: Bread-based breakfasts (pancakes or French toast) and Eggs Benedict. Those things are enough to get us to visit the MDR perhaps twice during a week-long cruise.

On Allure this past November, Eggs Benedict wasn't offered on the breakfast menu in the MDR when I was there. I was disappointed. Is it only offered on certain days?

On Allure this past November, Eggs Benedict wasn't offered on the breakfast menu in the MDR when I was there. I was disappointed. Is it only offered on certain days?

In the last year, I've seen several ships stop listing Eggs Benedict on the breakfast menu (most recently Brilliance last week), however except for disembarkation day, they all served it upon request.

Edited by clarea

I just read yet another trip report that talked about how bad the MDR breakfast experience is. And in my own experience its been terrible too .. every time.

Long waits for barely mediocre food .. surly, disinterested servers .. food arriving cold .. small portions.. toast that was like cardboard from having been toasted hours before .. warm juice, etc etc ..

MDR breakfast pretty much stinks ... yet there are are still people on here that rave about the experience and tell people not to miss it.

Why?

My only experiences (2) with breakfast in the MDR has been mixed. When I tried to order from a menu, I experienced somewhat slow and mediocre food, but when I did do the mini buffet they had set up it wasn't too bad. It beat the WJ, especially on the last morning.

Fresh off the Grandeur, found the food serving sizes much smaller than our last cruise last April.

Don't get me wrong, we were never hungry, but... it was not the best in the MDR for breakfast, I normally just went with the omelette, the toast-forget it, you couldn't eat it. We actually just went to the Windjammer and had fruit and I got a bagel there, that was at least edible.

My biggest complaint is that the coffee is absolutely terrible! Every single cup tastes different? Always has been on all our cruises.

Agree about the coffee and sadly the MDR brew, to our taste, is not a cut above.

On a 9-10 day cruise we might have the MDR breakfast a couple of times. We have met the nicest people there and enjoy the social contact. We usually have a table for two in the evening.

Edited by Philly Steve

This is strange because every single breakfast we've ever had in the MDR on our cruises were always fantastic! Never really a complaint at all....food was always awesome, BUT....if you look at my cruise itinerary, there was that ONE ship where the breakfasts were horrid.....CARNIVAL. Never again.

Wrong. My celebrity cruise the bacon everywhere was so salty it was inedible. Buffet and MDR. And the sausage was blood only. Sorry to all you Brits, I tried it once and just couldn't learn to like it.

What you call blood sausage is known here as black pudding and is not the only 'sausage' available on Celebrity, they do 'American' sausage links and other English sausage too. The reason you know it as blood sausage is because that's exactly one of the ingredients, blood. That is not a proper pork sausage, nor are your sausage links proper sausage.

I love the MDR for breakfast. If you're Diamond, they always have a separate section set up and I have never had to wait to be seated or to be served.

I enjoy my half grapefruit and Eggs Benedict or french toast every morning. The coffee is pretty weak but still A LOT better than the coffee they serve on Princess.

Yes. The loyalists who wouldn't dare book another line because they are afraid 1 or 2 activities might differ sing the praises of Royal's food. Those that have sailed elsewhere already know Royal's food doesn't measure up. You said as much yourself.
It is tiresome to have you put words in people's mouths that they did not say. Actually what I said was
...RCI certainly is less than perfect in a number of areas including breakfasts, but I have no problem finding lines that have worse breakfasts than RCI.
I like croissants. Food is subjective, but IMO RCI's croissants are better (lighter, flakier) than Cunard's (maybe they have gotten better in the years since I've sailed them) or Oceania's (who I've sailed this month). However RCI's croissants still do not measure up to those in my favorite Paris cafe, so no, they are not perfect.

You said "Throw a dart and pick any other cruiseline and I guarantee their breakfast is better." and that "The clear emerging pattern is those who exclusively sail Royal like it just fine. Those that have sailed other lines realized that Royal just isn't as good in this area." Perhaps you have sailed more lines than I have (I've sailed 24 if I count correctly), but to imply that anyone who dares disagree with your blanket statements has no experience is just flat wrong.

On Brilliance 12/5 went to DR specifically for eggs benedict. The were not on menu but were able to order anyway. Reluctantly they gave us a table for 2, service was slow and eggs benedict were terrible. I ate very little they were so bad. Had just had the best eggs benedict ever on Royal Princess 2 weeks earlier. Won't go back to DR for breakfast again on royal Caribbean. Will stick with Winjammer.

Then I guess it is fortunate that it doesn't really matter whether you understand me or not.

Nothing like snide remarks from a buffet lover. I understand you. You don't care what any says and have a smart remark for them.

Most likely the type that is overweight, cuts in line and is very rude.

I gave my option of buffets and you have and you don't like my option so you come off as a smart ###.

I cannot see, going back to Royal Caribbean, if the food is that bad, so why go back. You pay for service, and that is what I expect. Oh, well I will have my first experience, and if it is bad. Will not be back. Good sit down service or I am not coming back on Royal Caribbean.

Sure hope that your first experience is not as bad as experienced by many on this thread. I don't come on CC often, but every so often it is fun to see what the complaint of the day is. While I have not had nearly as many cruises as most of those opining, I am always amazed that after visiting CC that on my next cruise I do not have the ship pretty much to myself. Funny though every RCI cruise I have ever been on (15) has been sold out. Just a bunch of folks, like me, who are OK with mediocre to poor food and service I guess.

I am willing to bet that you will have a great time on your first experience.