Aqua Class/Blu - A different perspective

Trep586

Nice honest review and agree that AQ is not for everyone

From our first AQ booking it was a dream come true..almost perfect...we use all the amenities and spa..love Canyon Ranch, and enjoy BLU.....

Hoping the amenities will be upgraded and some restored..

What better than great ships, being at sea, beautiful ports, fun experiences on board and a spa vacation !

Your comments, OP, are precisely why I don't go with AQ. I want to eat in the main dining room where there's more selection. I'm a picky eater and don't like attention drawn to that fact. I can see the wait staff in Blu making a big deal about that and I'd rather keep it on the down low.

Thanks for your honest opinions and experience.

This is a fair and balanced review. As the OP stated, many here on CC will scold him for not asking about items that may be available from the MDR. I don't like to ask for special items either, but have learned here that I can request certain starters if I'd like, so I often do.

I'm thinking that perhaps the MDR noticed that passengers assigned to Blu were choosing to use the MDR instead and contacted Blu to see what the problem was and whether it could be rectified. Ideally, Select dining passengers shouldn't have to compete with Blu passengers for those Select dining tables. I wish the OP had felt a bit less threatened/stalked and had given honest feedback about what wasn't working for him. Some good could have come of it. For example, if I'd mentioned that I really missed the escargot that the MDR served, I would then have been informed that I certainly could enjoy them in Blu. I would have learned something, and the Blu staff would have learned something, too. How hard is it to ammend the Blu menu so that ALL passengers, not just those who read posts on CC, know that they can order Caesar Salad, Onion Soup, Shrimp Cocktail or Escargot? Why haven't they put this in writing yet? Such a simple fix could help Blu please more diners.

I read your review, it was cute, and confirms my suspicions about AQ - we have not tried it, doubted the value. Not sure anyone else has mentioned - you MIGHT be eligible for increased CC points from being in AQ, even over concierge. Check it out - you seem to stlll be happy X cruisers so it would be nice to get to "elite" at some point, esp. for internet and laundry :). But I'm not sure about this - I think it sometimes depends on if / what you paid to upgrade (and also who answers the phone).

Again, thanks for the review - we're also cruisers that don't really want to ask for deviations/ extra service. But we're on vacation to enjoy not munch on spa food.

We were also on the December, 18th sailing, in aqua class here is our take:

We normally sail on Royal, and the last 5 cruises have been in suites. when researching for a Christmas cruise, we decided to try Celebrity Eclipse, as it looked like the best choice for length of cruise and ports, when we booked there were no suites available, but a great deal on the Aqua guarantee with the go best and $400 obc.

The first surprise was the small size of the cabin, but nicely laid out so not a major problem, we had dinner the first night in the Tuscan grill, very nice.

We had dinner the remainder of the cruise in Blu, I asked for and received a ceaser salad every night, the DW, had the shrimp cocktail several nights, just had to ask for them, the choices for entrees were few but we always found something we liked,

all of the staff in Blu were attentive and pleasant to deal with.

I agree with others that the normal pricing for an aqua cabin, versus the value received would not have me booking aqua class.

This was our first Celebrity cruise in 15 years (last sailed on the Zenith in September 2000) The Eclipse is a beautiful ship, all of the staff were friendly, the CD, and staff were very good, and we wouldn't hesitate to book on Celebrity again.

Ha!

I have been saying since we came off Connie earlier in the year that the food in Blu was . . Well, rubbish but as this upsets people, shall we say, leaves much to be desired.

Not for us. Never travel Aqua again as, for us, it is a waste of money.

I did go in for breakfast for a few days until ' raweggate' and for a spa, light eating restaurant, you should have seen what some folk put away. I went to the buffet and picked my own meal which I would finish. Small amount. No waste.

As for the MDR, do you know we never thought of it. Off we went to the buffet again! Looked at the carte, mmmm pigeon and that made up our minds. One of the people on the door was French and I most certainly told her what we thought of the food quality. When she asked where we had been:D My husband, as only the French can, was even more expressive.

As for the famous shower, watch out for your kneecaps.

Back in SV next time. Prefer.

Very similar experience for us.

First mainline cruise for us in 10 years a few weeks back on Silhouette, lovely ship, hump AQ cabin, loved Blu, attentive, yet not suffocating service. Booked another. Different than 10 years ago? Yes. But then, so isn't most everything else in the world over the past decade. Walked away with a great week of relaxation, and reaffirmed most of the doom and gloom is not warranted. Perhaps it just took some time away........

I enjoyed the review.

We have sailed twice in AQ, both times when the price and promotions made it a no brainer. While we really enjoyed the experience, we would not pay what Celebrity is asking now.

We really enjoyed Blu, while a couple we traveled with felt exactly as the OP. We did oft times request the escargot, shrimp cocktail, and french onion soup.

I find great value in the Persian Gardens access as I like to spend the 3:00-4:00 time period enjoying the heated tile loungers and the steam room.

The stateroom shower became enjoyable once I learned to adjust the height of the jets.

We all have expectations of our cruise experiences. For some of us, AQ at the right price is a real plus. With that said, our non-AQ cruises on Celebrity have been very enjoyable as well.

I feel the same about Aqua. If you are a cheapskate, don't let the wife try a suite. Once we did that, we never went back! And now with Luminae for dining, I can't imagine we ever will.

(Maybe once we retire and have more cruising time available we would pay less to cruise more, but not yet....)

I wonder if OP would like a suite. If you never ask the butler for anything, you would get no value there ;)

We are sailing on Silhouette for our first time on Celebrity and the cost for an Aqua was nearly the same as a Concierge class cabin. We hope for a great experience to measure versus Royal, where we are Diamond + and enjoyed many cruises and the perks along the ways.

Will see how we enjoy our week of R&R, as that is what vacation time is for. :)

We tried Blu on our first Celebrity cruise and had a similar experience to you. The food is just not our style, the room is very loud, and there is a constant turnover of tables all around.

The cabins are also not always in the best location, at least on the Reflection, as we were under the gym and could hear a constant pounding from early am to late at night from the treadmills. (This was an Aqua Guarantee room.)

Two subsequent trips in the MDR and we are much happy when on Celebrity. Also I found the room sticky and now pay very close attention to room selection and will not do GTY again. :)

It's nice that Celebrity will accommodate the Blu guests with items from the MDR menu but why pay a premium for a room in a bad location just to order food off of the MDR menu? The OP stated that they prefer the MDR over Blu so I don't think being able to order a few select items here and there would have sealed the deal for future Aqua sailings. If you don't like Blu there is no point of booking Aqua class.

What one person views as a room in a bad location, another person may enjoy. My DH and I love Aqua class - we love Blu as well as all of the cabins on deck 11 of the Millenium class ships (especially the aft ones). So we are ones that will pay a premium for a room we enjoy.

:( This all makes me very nervous! We booked a deck 11 Aqua aft cabin for Alaska '16 - because it was cheaper than a Concierge aft cabin. Having only dined in Aqua for dinner once before (as suite guests) we did not enjoy the meal but thought it may have been a poor night and thought we'd make a go of it as it is only 7 nights.

I know that we love aft cabins so that part will be great, loved Blu breakfast - so good there too but I KNOW that I'm going to have to ask for dinner in the MDR after reading this. :eek: I don't eat lamb shank, beef shank or duck breast. The older I get the less I enjoy meat (I know, I know - surprising that husband still keeps me around :o) - it feels too heavy and is hard to digest. I'd much rather go with a pasta, rice or vegetable dish - my tastes are pretty simple.

I am hopeful that they will be able to accommodate us in Select but I certainly would NOT want to be confronted publicly in the MDR over this choice. If I approach the Blu Maitre D and make the request - will this cause him to try to accommodate me in Blu by letting me make special requests - something that I would not want them to do and would make me uneasy!

I've never eaten dinner on a cruise in the buffet but it might be a good place for us to "hide out".

:( This all makes me very nervous! We booked a deck 11 Aqua aft cabin for Alaska '16 - because it was cheaper than a Concierge aft cabin. Having only dined in Aqua for dinner once before (as suite guests) we did not enjoy the meal but thought it may have been a poor night and thought we'd make a go of it as it is only 7 nights.

I know that we love aft cabins so that part will be great, loved Blu breakfast - so good there too but I KNOW that I'm going to have to ask for dinner in the MDR after reading this. :eek: I don't eat lamb shank, beef shank or duck breast. The older I get the less I enjoy meat (I know, I know - surprising that husband still keeps me around :o) - it feels too heavy and is hard to digest. I'd much rather go with a pasta, rice or vegetable dish - my tastes are pretty simple.

I am hopeful that they will be able to accommodate us in Select but I certainly would NOT want to be confronted publicly in the MDR over this choice. If I approach the Blu Maitre D and make the request - will this cause him to try to accommodate me in Blu by letting me make special requests - something that I would not want them to do and would make me uneasy!

I've never eaten dinner on a cruise in the buffet but it might be a good place for us to "hide out".

We are trying one of those deck 11 aft AQs on Connie this spring. Reviews of Blu have always been hot/cold -- but mostly because people complain the "spa cuisine" is too light! -- but you have the choice to eat in the MDR if you want, so if Blu doesn't appeal we will just move down there and figure we paid for the location. I'm sorry if the Blu maitre d' doesn't like it -- but it's my cruise and this is a legitimate option. [He can't expect to see everybody every night, because of the specialty restaurants.]

I've never eaten dinner on a cruise in the buffet but it might be a good place for us to "hide out". [/color][/size][/font]

We dined in Blu for the first time this past October. We didn't eat in Blu every night and were never approached by the wait staff over this choice.

I also don't eat lamb, beef or duck and never had an issue finding something I liked on the menu. There was always at least 1 vegetarian entrée and 1-2 dishes that had fish or chicken. This was in addition to the everyday menu that had grilled chicken and salmon. The meals in Blu are made to order so it's easy for them to accommodate you. For example, a lady at the table next to us would often order just the side items from a few of the entrees on the menu. This was her way of creating a vegetarian dish.

We were told by the maitre D at both Blu and the MDR that we could dine in Select Dining on any night and that it did not have to be arranged in advance.

We're in AQ for our upcoming 10 night February cruise on the Connie. It was only $300 more than CC, so it was a no brainer.

We were in AQ for our last Celebrity cruise, which was a very port-intensive Med on the Solstice, and I /loved/ it. The shower was wonderful, and there was nothing better than coming back to the ship after a long day of wandering ruins and walking for miles, and just relaxing on the heated stone loungers.

I very much enjoyed Blu, hubby was indifferent - however, the staff couldn't do enough for him. There was nothing on the dessert menu, ever, that appealed to him (he's a chocolate-chip cookie & vanilla ice cream kinda guy), and the first night our server was very unhappy that he wasn't ordering dessert. I explained that he wouldn't eat what was on offer, and they went and got him chocolate chip cookies & vanilla ice cream. And they were waiting for him every night afterwards. They also brought him a Caesar salad any time he wanted it.

The cruise in February is for our 30th wedding anniversary & my 50th birthday. I'm hoping that they'll be just as accommodating, because I would really love to have the chocolate bombe they serve in Luminae for dessert one night, if they'll get it for me. :)

The OP posts a very balanced review of AQ and why they don't like it. We've sailed in AQ now about 5 times and won't go back to a regular cabin for a couple of reasons, the first being Blu. I know it doesn't have everything, but we love always having a table for 2 and showing up whenever we want. Yes, we could go Select, but we'd be 12 inches away from the table beside ours, where in Blu you have a bit more privacy. The Blu breakfast is what seals the deal for us ... Last week we had one breakfast in the buffet and it was a cluster ... Eggs not cooked, huge lines, impossible to find a table. We also do like the Relaxation room (DH reads his way through cruises and this is a very peaceful place for reading) and the Persian Garden is a treat.

AQ isn't for everyone and some of us are fans while others are not. We are happy to have a choice and are willing to pay for that choice.

We're also happy that other cruisers can choose what they like.

Is t it wonderful that we can all have cruise experiences that meet our wants!

I've often suspected that the reason many people don't like Blu is simply because they are not adventurous enough. I'm not accusing the OP of this but I'm sure many people look at the dishes on the menu and say "oh, I won't like that" and refuse to try something out of the ordinary.

I have to admit that I too am like that a lot of the time. Many dishes in Blu include items which I have either never heard of or usually avoid like the plague (artichoke for instance). However on every single occasion I have ventured into uncharted territory I have found the food in Blu to be delicious.

My advice is if you can't find something you like then live dangerously and just go with the waiter's suggestion instead of choosing one of the boring every-day options (which admittedly are pretty bland). You will probably be pleasantly surprised.

i've often suspected that the reason many people don't like blu is simply because they are not adventurous enough. I'm not accusing the op of this but i'm sure many people look at the dishes on the menu and say "oh, i won't like that" and refuse to try something out of the ordinary.

I have to admit that i too am like that a lot of the time. Many dishes in blu include items which i have either never heard of or usually avoid like the plague (artichoke for instance). However on every single occasion i have ventured into uncharted territory i have found the food in blu to be delicious.

My advice is if you can't find something you like then live dangerously and just go with the waiter's suggestion instead of choosing one of the boring every-day options (which admittedly are pretty bland). You will probably be pleasantly surprised.

like!

I've often suspected that the reason many people don't like Blu is simply because they are not adventurous enough. I'm not accusing the OP of this but I'm sure many people look at the dishes on the menu and say "oh, I won't like that" and refuse to try something out of the ordinary.

I have to admit that I too am like that a lot of the time. Many dishes in Blu include items which I have either never heard of or usually avoid like the plague (artichoke for instance). However on every single occasion I have ventured into uncharted territory I have found the food in Blu to be delicious.

I went to college in the Bay Area, which is the artichoke capital of the world -- so artichokes are pretty cheap in season -- so my college served them twice a week. I had never seen one, so the first night I asked a Californian at my table how to eat it -- he said, "break off a leaf, dip it in the butter, put it between your teeth, and scrape off the slime." I have never eaten an artichoke, that night or any after. But now that I'm older and [what, maybe wiser?], I've been looking for an easy way to finally try it -- maybe Blu is the answer to my dreams!?

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We normally book Aqua Class. The reason is the service in Blu, not the food. They always seem to have escargot and creme brulee and the salmon. It is not about the Spa at all. I think I've gotten some great prices under 126Go. I booked 3 cruise in AC with Allin and 1 without. I just changed a A1 to a S1. I think I got a great deal. I'm happy with the price. I'm now looking to change a Jan 2017 cruise to a S1.

What one person views as a room in a bad location, another person may enjoy. My DH and I love Aqua class - we love Blu as well as all of the cabins on deck 11 of the Millenium class ships (especially the aft ones). So we are ones that will pay a premium for a room we enjoy.

Those Aft rooms on deck11 are the only rooms with value. Like I said earlier those command a price just for the location and large balcony. They would probably book at a premium price without the addition of Aqua incentives and Blu. The rooms under the pool deck and buffet aren't worth more than the lowest standard veranda price especially if you don't enjoy Blu. These seem to be the rooms that drop in price lower than the price of a C3.

OP Here!

I'd like to quote the great Ron Burgundy and say "Boy, that escalated quickly..."!

I also forgot to add a great quote from DW while aboard: "Blu seems more like a punishment than an upgrade..." :)

A couple of responses to various comments/posts:

GTY Rooms vs AC - I've been lobbying for GTY's for a few years now and I think DW is finally onboard. I'd even do inside....but....that's never happening. DW needs at least a window. The bottom line is the cruise experience, for us at least, happens outside the room. I sat on the Verandah and read my book probably a total of 30 mins this 9 night cruise. DW not at all. So I really don't care if there happens to be a lifeboat hanging there! BTW - I LIKED the "overhang". A few years back we were on the Silly, starboard side, on a western Caribbean. This meant our verandah faced the Sun nearly all day/every day. It was unbearably hot and we didn't (couldn't) use it.

"Secret Blu Menu" - I've read about this on other threads and this is our take. Suppose you walk into an Applebee's....wait...no...scratch that...you should NEVER walk into an Applebee's....Say you walk into a new restaurant called "Cerulean" back home. You walk in, they seat you, take your drink order, but they hand you no menus. They then come back and say "are you ready to order?" "But we have no menus!", you say. "Oh, not to worry sir. We have a "secret menu" here! It's a fun game! You try and guess what we serve and I tell you if you're hot or cold! It's a HOOT!" I suspect most folks would be frustrated at such a restaurant? Well we would. Further, I suspect if they really wanted you to order "off" menu items they would just go ahead and put them "on" the menu. I KNOW people get items from the MDR. In fact, on day 2 at Blu DW noticed the teens next table to ours all got French Onion Soup. Her FAVE! She looks at me and, as an addicted CC forum reader, I said...oh yea... I guess there is some "secret menu" you can get stuff off of. I narrowly avoided a fork in my eye...

MDR Items in Blu - Related to the above. I've read conflicting comments on this but have read that in some cases the Blu staff exasperatedly delivered MDR items to Blu guests. Again...we just ain't those people. And really, as some have stated already, why pay for AC if you're going to get MDR items. Blu isn't really that great of a room. We found it louder on the 2nd night than the MDR and while they tables ARE slightly further apart, they are still much closer than you'd ever find at a land restaurant or even at the specialties.

Specialties over Blu - Many posters hit the nail on the head. Book a standard Verandah (GTY even) and use the savings toward the 3 specialtiy "dine around" package. We actually had the package plus an extra QSine (see below) and loved it.

"Just Ask!" - Yep I get that...remember...that's how I "got" AC. I ASKED for it! :) My wife and I are introverts*. For those that misundertand that to be "shy"...that's not what it is. It means we have to "expend energy" to interact with others. Oddly we are both professionals with customer facing jobs that routinely require us to persoally interact with large numbers of people and do presentations to rooms full of strangers. No problem at all doing it...we're just tired after. On vacation, I don't wanna expend that energy and DW especially doesn't want to draw attention. In a sense we feel we are ideal cruise customers for the crew because we require nothing special. Just give us the usual good Celebrity service and we're fine. If we're not talking to you (or even each other!), nothing is wrong, we're just recharing. We always tip extra and are very sensitive to the fact that these folks from all over the world are away from their families (esp. on the holidays), not making that great of a wage, and probably appreciate not having to deal with the usual high maintenace passenger. Again, if they REALLY wanted to serve something not on the menu to us. They'd prolly just go ahead and put it on the menu.

*Note: We understand that cruise passengers run the gamut of personalities. But we found it super odd that at breakfast at Blu on the last night, several passengers were going around hugging the staff! We were SUPER appreciative of the staff (again we tipped several personally extra) but just can't imagine hugging them! Do they even like that? I know I wouldn't...but I digress...

"Stalking" - A strong word I know and no offense to Fernando. Imagine you go to an Elite event (1 more cruise for us!) one day. Then next day there's another event scheduled, you're sitting at the pool, reading your book, sipping your tasty beverage, looking at the sea, listening to the band....ahh....sorry....lost my train of thought there...going through withdrawal still! Anyway, suppose you're sitting there and one of the Captain's Club folks comes out and says "Why aren't you there! We did this for YOU! We want to know how much we appreciate you!". I have no doubt that they are just trying to cater to you, their valued passenger, and make you happy. But would you really be comfortable with that? Perhaps some would...we wouldn't.

Digression: One of the MANY reasons we will never set foot on a Carnival Cruise is because we don't want somebody pulling us out of our chair to do "the hustle". (To be fair, I haven't been on Carnival in 20 years but it happened to me back then and I didn't appreciate it..at all..not even a little bit...to be honest...I hated it...I mean REALLY hated it...and if I ever find that guy...) :)

As paying cruise customers we feel we should be fully in charge of our cruise experience and shouldn't have to explain our decisions. I don't mean that in the "jerky" way it probably sounds but we want to be quiet when we want, loud when we want (read: never), do what we want, when we want, how we want....and don't really want to have to explain it...to anybody. As far as communicating ultimately to Celebrity to make what some feel are perhaps necessary changes to Blu. We feel we don't have a dog in that hunt. We've decided that the AC upcharge just isn't worth it when we are always happy in the MDR and LOVE LOVE LOVE the specialties.

"Adventurous Eaters" - Actually we ARE! Absolute favorite restaurant on the PLANET right now? QSine! The definition of an eating adventure. We also run to the Indian food station on embarkation day (then generally try to avoid the buffet aka "The Octagon" the rest of the cruise...but that's another thread!). It wasn't so much being adventurous as it was the relative blandness and cuts/types of meats. DW is not a veggie, she eats poultry (but white meat only) but her dietary constraints are obviously our problem, not Celebrity's, it just seems like she could always find MDR items every night on our previous 6 cruises.

Digression -funny story. DW loves small plates/tapas style restaurants and we often order a mix of funky appetizers even in non-tapas joints. So last year when she finally talked "Mr. Cheapskate" into paying the (inflated IMO) specialty dining upcharge I suggested we try Qsine...she VEHEMENTLY disagreed. It just didn't sound good to her...I was floored.. So she chose Murano...but I went ahead and booked Qsine! Well you can imagine what happened. Murano was of course lovely....but she FLIPPED over Qsine....always nice to be able to say "told you so!" to the DW....and then avoid the inevitable eye forking...

Sorry for the long post...bad habit....happy sailing!

We are booked on our first Aqua class (and first celebrity cruise) in March. After reading all of these posts, I'm afraid it might have been a mistake, but I did get a great rate, very little more than a veranda. I'm going to go in with an open mind, but for our 2017 Europe cruise, I'm going to switch to a veranda and do the specialties if blu and Aqua class aren't right for us as well. Love your posts, you have a great sense of humor that translates well onto the page!