Aqua Class/Blu - A different perspective

Trep586

To me, food is food. I can usually find something decent most anywhere. I've only sailed on Celebrity once and that was in aqua class. I liked it because of the seating and size of the room. I liked the table for two, the food was fine, and so it all worked well for me. My wife liked that part of it too and loved the tea (don't ask me why) and other doodads that were offered, so it worked out well for her too.

We are in an aqua class stateroom in a couple of weeks and we will see if all still holds true.

We couldn't beat the 123 price when we booked but we'd have to look closely at the good better best thing they have going on now.

This was such a laugh-out-loud review that I just had to let the OP how much I enjoyed reading it and wanted to add our experience.

To date we have taken 6 Celebrity cruises, 4 of which have been in Aqua Class. The first year we sailed Celebrity was in 2013 and there were 3 couples traveling together. Two of the couples were in AQ and 1 in a veranda balcony. To be able to eat together all of us chose Select Dining; the other equally important reason to choose Select was that one member was extremely picky about his food and wouldn’t like Blu at all. This worked out well for all of us because we almost always ate in the MDR and really enjoyed the food. However, three of us tried Blu one evening. The result was that one of us really enjoyed the food but the two others didn’t care for the food. We tried one more time on that cruise and ended up not liking what we ordered.

Here’s what we do like about Aqua Class:

Breakfast in Blu. We frequently will choose to eat breakfast here although the picky person is still really not happy with this choice.

the footstools are very welcome on the balcony

the shower is wonderful and really appreciate it very much

like the location just so long as we make sure to choose an A2 class cabin so that it’s quiet and not under the pool deck

also like the overhang because it gives us sun during part of the day and cool shade the rest of the day

Lessons learned:

If the price and benefits are in line, we will still choose Aqua Class. We have 4 more cruises booked in 2016 and 2017; they were booked with the All In benefits. The price was right and the benefits terrific. Our Fall 2017 TA is in a veranda because AQ wasn’t worth the extra money and no benefits.

We rarely eat in Blu for dinner. The only exception to that is if the daily menu appeals at all (and the MDR’s doesn’t) and we make a promise to send back any food that’s not satisfactory and order something else. We are obviously slow learners; it took us a while to figure that out.

Funny story: On our February 2015 cruise we were in AQ and doing what we normally do, avoid Blu. Early in the first leg of a B2B cruise, there was a message left on our phone. It was from someone in the Blu restaurant saying that they had “missed us” and wondering when we were coming for dinner. I just ignored it. Shortly thereafter I went to Blu for breakfast. As is normal, I gave the lady Matre ‘d my cabin number. She looked up and said “it’s great to have you join us; we’ve been wondering where you were. Just as I was being shown to a table, I told her “I’m sorry but we just don’t care for the food.” No more questions were asked. Fortunately, they didn’t stalk me; I can’t imagine how I’d feel if that had happened.

We did end up actually persuading our picky person to try it one night for dinner. We told the waiter up front that we were going to be sending anything back we didn’t like. She said she understood. We ended up having a relatively nice meal (only sent one appetizer back) and it was replaced satisfactorily. However, our first choice is always the MDR. I too enjoy good food and have been to many fine restaurants so I know what I do and don’t like. If the first taste of any dish says WOW you’ve got me. If not, why bother. The calories are all the same.

Truly appreciate the OP’s sense of humor and writing skill. Thanks for the laugh.

OP Here!

I'd like to quote the great Ron Burgundy and say "Boy, that escalated quickly..."!

I also forgot to add a great quote from DW while aboard: "Blu seems more like a punishment than an upgrade..." :)

A couple of responses to various comments/posts:

GTY Rooms vs AC - I've been lobbying for GTY's for a few years now and I think DW is finally onboard. I'd even do inside....but....that's never happening. DW needs at least a window. The bottom line is the cruise experience, for us at least, happens outside the room. I sat on the Verandah and read my book probably a total of 30 mins this 9 night cruise. DW not at all. So I really don't care if there happens to be a lifeboat hanging there! BTW - I LIKED the "overhang". A few years back we were on the Silly, starboard side, on a western Caribbean. This meant our verandah faced the Sun nearly all day/every day. It was unbearably hot and we didn't (couldn't) use it.

"Secret Blu Menu" - I've read about this on other threads and this is our take. Suppose you walk into an Applebee's....wait...no...scratch that...you should NEVER walk into an Applebee's....Say you walk into a new restaurant called "Cerulean" back home. You walk in, they seat you, take your drink order, but they hand you no menus. They then come back and say "are you ready to order?" "But we have no menus!", you say. "Oh, not to worry sir. We have a "secret menu" here! It's a fun game! You try and guess what we serve and I tell you if you're hot or cold! It's a HOOT!" I suspect most folks would be frustrated at such a restaurant? Well we would. Further, I suspect if they really wanted you to order "off" menu items they would just go ahead and put them "on" the menu. I KNOW people get items from the MDR. In fact, on day 2 at Blu DW noticed the teens next table to ours all got French Onion Soup. Her FAVE! She looks at me and, as an addicted CC forum reader, I said...oh yea... I guess there is some "secret menu" you can get stuff off of. I narrowly avoided a fork in my eye...

MDR Items in Blu - Related to the above. I've read conflicting comments on this but have read that in some cases the Blu staff exasperatedly delivered MDR items to Blu guests. Again...we just ain't those people. And really, as some have stated already, why pay for AC if you're going to get MDR items. Blu isn't really that great of a room. We found it louder on the 2nd night than the MDR and while they tables ARE slightly further apart, they are still much closer than you'd ever find at a land restaurant or even at the specialties.

Specialties over Blu - Many posters hit the nail on the head. Book a standard Verandah (GTY even) and use the savings toward the 3 specialtiy "dine around" package. We actually had the package plus an extra QSine (see below) and loved it.

"Just Ask!" - Yep I get that...remember...that's how I "got" AC. I ASKED for it! :) My wife and I are introverts*. For those that misundertand that to be "shy"...that's not what it is. It means we have to "expend energy" to interact with others. Oddly we are both professionals with customer facing jobs that routinely require us to persoally interact with large numbers of people and do presentations to rooms full of strangers. No problem at all doing it...we're just tired after. On vacation, I don't wanna expend that energy and DW especially doesn't want to draw attention. In a sense we feel we are ideal cruise customers for the crew because we require nothing special. Just give us the usual good Celebrity service and we're fine. If we're not talking to you (or even each other!), nothing is wrong, we're just recharing. We always tip extra and are very sensitive to the fact that these folks from all over the world are away from their families (esp. on the holidays), not making that great of a wage, and probably appreciate not having to deal with the usual high maintenace passenger. Again, if they REALLY wanted to serve something not on the menu to us. They'd prolly just go ahead and put it on the menu.

*Note: We understand that cruise passengers run the gamut of personalities. But we found it super odd that at breakfast at Blu on the last night, several passengers were going around hugging the staff! We were SUPER appreciative of the staff (again we tipped several personally extra) but just can't imagine hugging them! Do they even like that? I know I wouldn't...but I digress...

"Stalking" - A strong word I know and no offense to Fernando. Imagine you go to an Elite event (1 more cruise for us!) one day. Then next day there's another event scheduled, you're sitting at the pool, reading your book, sipping your tasty beverage, looking at the sea, listening to the band....ahh....sorry....lost my train of thought there...going through withdrawal still! Anyway, suppose you're sitting there and one of the Captain's Club folks comes out and says "Why aren't you there! We did this for YOU! We want to know how much we appreciate you!". I have no doubt that they are just trying to cater to you, their valued passenger, and make you happy. But would you really be comfortable with that? Perhaps some would...we wouldn't.

Digression: One of the MANY reasons we will never set foot on a Carnival Cruise is because we don't want somebody pulling us out of our chair to do "the hustle". (To be fair, I haven't been on Carnival in 20 years but it happened to me back then and I didn't appreciate it..at all..not even a little bit...to be honest...I hated it...I mean REALLY hated it...and if I ever find that guy...) :)

As paying cruise customers we feel we should be fully in charge of our cruise experience and shouldn't have to explain our decisions. I don't mean that in the "jerky" way it probably sounds but we want to be quiet when we want, loud when we want (read: never), do what we want, when we want, how we want....and don't really want to have to explain it...to anybody. As far as communicating ultimately to Celebrity to make what some feel are perhaps necessary changes to Blu. We feel we don't have a dog in that hunt. We've decided that the AC upcharge just isn't worth it when we are always happy in the MDR and LOVE LOVE LOVE the specialties.

"Adventurous Eaters" - Actually we ARE! Absolute favorite restaurant on the PLANET right now? QSine! The definition of an eating adventure. We also run to the Indian food station on embarkation day (then generally try to avoid the buffet aka "The Octagon" the rest of the cruise...but that's another thread!). It wasn't so much being adventurous as it was the relative blandness and cuts/types of meats. DW is not a veggie, she eats poultry (but white meat only) but her dietary constraints are obviously our problem, not Celebrity's, it just seems like she could always find MDR items every night on our previous 6 cruises.

Digression -funny story. DW loves small plates/tapas style restaurants and we often order a mix of funky appetizers even in non-tapas joints. So last year when she finally talked "Mr. Cheapskate" into paying the (inflated IMO) specialty dining upcharge I suggested we try Qsine...she VEHEMENTLY disagreed. It just didn't sound good to her...I was floored.. So she chose Murano...but I went ahead and booked Qsine! Well you can imagine what happened. Murano was of course lovely....but she FLIPPED over Qsine....always nice to be able to say "told you so!" to the DW....and then avoid the inevitable eye forking...

Sorry for the long post...bad habit....happy sailing!

Sorry for the long quote [i hate it when others do this, but my comment refers to all of it]: from this description, I would suggest you try Oceania. Their food is a cut above Celebrity, the ambience is quieter but very classy [you will certainly never be dragged out of your chair to do the hustle], and the staff is professional but not interactive [unlike Azamara, which is similar but known for their super-friendly staff]. Their older "R-ships" have been described as resembling British men's clubs [they have a great library among other nice features], while the newer "O-ships" are larger but still upscale [and of course no water slides ;)].

We are booked on our first Aqua class (and first celebrity cruise) in March. After reading all of these posts, I'm afraid it might have been a mistake, but I did get a great rate, very little more than a veranda. I'm going to go in with an open mind, but for our 2017 Europe cruise, I'm going to switch to a veranda and do the specialties if blu and Aqua class aren't right for us as well. Love your posts, you have a great sense of humor that translates well onto the page!

I can tell you from my experience - the spa shower (body jets for the win) and the heated stone loungers were absolutely glorious after a port-intensive cruise with lots and lots of walking every day. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed your review of Aqua Class as well as Blu. We only booked it one time when it was included in a group special for only $100 pp more than the concierge. We thought, why not??

Well we loved it for the following reasons:

Loved the little upgraded amenities in the stateroom: facial spray, lip moisturizer, canvas bag, flowers in the room, nicer towels, pillow menu (we used it without an issue), footstools on the balcony and those shower heads. We also loved the bottled water (heard that isn't happening anymore) and the expanded room service menu.

Priority boarding, tendering, dining times

Relaxation lounge: we spent hours up there, fabulous during sail away -- also loved the Persian Gardens (not so much for my DH)

Blu: we liked this most of all because it meant not having to skip formal night dining -- always smart casual but now with Elegant Chic, I am happy to report we can eat in the MDR and not bring formal clothing. Funny thing is, on our next two cruises, we are going with couples that love formal wear so we will be taking ours as well.

Now....for the absolute best part about AQ that I didn't see you mention, all of the rooms only hold 2 guests, so while kids are technically not excluded for being roomed on this deck -- we didn't see (or hear) any of them running down the hallways or any of the associated issues that go along with that. There was so screamers in Blu ... ever! The one time we had Blu, we went to the MDR with our friends and we were seated right next to a table with a screaming toddler and the family just thought it was so funny. I actually had to get up and leave ... way too stressful for me to put up with that for an entire dinner. I don't dislike children, but just don't trust that all parents are willing to watch their kids at the level that is sometimes necessary.

So, unless the pricing for AQ comes back down to earth, I doubt if I will be booking it any time soon but truly enjoyed the one time we had it. As for the tea, I agree....keep the bottled water and can that stuff. The afternoon snacks were decent (we had them bring shrimp instead) but there is included food all over the ship so not that big of a deal to us.

And, to be perfectly honest, we have actually had some of our best room stewards outside of CC and AQ -- two of the best being in an oceanview category.

Edited by Cruise Raider

It's nice that Celebrity will accommodate the Blu guests with items from the MDR menu but why pay a premium for a room in a bad location just to order food off of the MDR menu? The OP stated that they prefer the MDR over Blu so I don't think being able to order a few select items here and there would have sealed the deal for future Aqua sailings. If you don't like Blu there is no point of booking Aqua class.

Just out of interest, how many times have you sailed Aqua Class? :)

Just out of interest, how many times have you sailed Aqua Class? :)

Never. I don't have to sail in Aqua to know that I don't like a room at the top of the ship, Aft or under the gym, pool deck, or buffet. I book mid ship towards the lower decks because I like to be close to the water. I only booked CC this time because of the promotion of receiving all 3 perks.I'm on deck 8 which is higher than I would like but I couldn't pass up the price of a C2. I toyed with the idea of Aqua since it was only $50pp more because I was curious about Blu. I decided that I would be in my room more than in Blu so I felt it wasn't worth the risk. We are not interested in the spa or jetted shower so it just wasn't worth it. The fact that they continue to lower the price of Aqua also speaks volumes to me as well.

The fact that they continue to lower the price of Aqua also speaks volumes to me as well.

On our next cruise, an A2 (for which Captain's Club members can obtain an A1 cabin) is currently running at just $50 more than a 2C (the lowest of the regular balcony cabins which are actually smaller on the M class ships) :eek:. If they can sell the cabins that don't have all the additional perks and are smaller for more than the Aqua cabins, then something is definitely wrong. Tempted to try Aqua at the lower rate and use the extra for specialty dinners - NO WAY after reading the OP's review (btw, thanks for the humorous reply - it's surprising how a precision placed fork works wonders :cool:) :D. Wouldn't swap my aft balcony for anything other than the PH or FV, well maybe the CSs or RSs at a push :p.

Now if I was a bean counter, this an area that I'd definitely be looking closely at - after reading recent threads on CC, perhaps X are already doing so ;).

Just be careful about being sucked into an upgrade from an A2 to A1....especially on Solstice Class ships. When we book Aqua on these ships we are very specific regarding cabin location. Many of the higher priced A1s are actually in lousy locations directly under the pool areas. Other cabins might be under the gym/spa. And the midship cabins are directly under the huge pool-deck overhang which blocks out much of the sky view. So when we book Aqua we actually prefer the lower cost A2 cabins aft of the pool area (man of these cabins have cabin numbers beginning with "16" such as 1630. These particular cabins have an additional passenger deck above, giving some separation from the overhang and not having a public deck (with moving chairs) above our heads.

Hank

Who do you have to contact to switch to the main dining room instead of Blu for dinner? We will be on the Equinox Jan 22nd and are in aqua class for the first time. We will try Blu but I know that I am a very picky eater and just in case this isn't for us who do we contact to switch. Thanks.

Bren

Who do you have to contact to switch to the main dining room instead of Blu for dinner? We will be on the Equinox Jan 22nd and are in aqua class for the first time. We will try Blu but I know that I am a very picky eater and just in case this isn't for us who do we contact to switch. Thanks.

Bren

Just ask the maitre d' in Blu...there should be no problem.

Irrespective of the positive and perhaps more negative comments in this thread, Blu can be an excellent experience with very good food, and they can adjust meals to your liking (take vegetables from one dish and put them with your entree instead of what's on the menu...that sort of thing. It really has little to do with being a picky eater....or thinking that blu portions are smaller (they aren't)...or you're missing something wonderful in the MDR (often what you are served in the MDR doesn't exactly match what you expected when reading the menu). Fundamentally, it's a smaller restaurant with better service (most of the time).

Don't go into Blu looking for a negative....it's really a nice way to eat breakfast and dinner. If you discuss your "picky eating" desires to your waiter, you have a far better chance of having a good meal in Blu than in the MDR.

Enjoy your cruise.

I just booked an Aqua Class cruise on the Equinox - so is Blu really not worth visiting - are you guys kinda saying that the food is as good or better (as in more luscious?) in the MDR than in Blu?

Wondering should I have saved the money now.....

I just booked an Aqua Class cruise on the Equinox - so is Blu really not worth visiting - are you guys kinda saying that the food is as good or better (as in more luscious?) in the MDR than in Blu?

Why don't you try it?

We did that about 6 years ago and never went back.

It's not just the food - the dining room is much smaller and quieter and I think the service is better.

I know the OP said they don't like to request special things but a request that is put nicely can make a big difference in your enjoyment.

Make sure you heed Hlitner's post about room location. We, also, stick with the A2s, even though we can get that free upgrade to an A1. Use the sticky post about cabins to check out good locations. (We like forward on the even numbered side of the ship because it's under the beauty shop and store)

I find that people either love Blu or hate it. If you are Aqua for the first time, go with no expectations.

You can respect other opinions, but don't make up your mind until you've tried it yourself.

We are not in the 'love' Blu camp but certainly enjoy Blu breakfast over the MDR or buffet.

We found Blu to be too noisy and the tables too close for a romantic dinner. We find no such thing as a real table for two like in the MDR. My brother loves the Persian Gardens. On some ships it is better than others and I can take it or leave it.

The only thing that I would definitely pay attention to for Aqua is cabin locations. As stated many many times here, not all A1s are in prime locations. However, that has more to do with paying attention to location overall which is probably the most important thing to watch for when booking and less to do specifically with Aqua.

Decide what YOU like and enjoy YOUR cruise!

Why don't you try it?

We did that about 6 years ago and never went back.

It's not just the food - the dining room is much smaller and quieter and I think the service is better.

I know the OP said they don't like to request special things but a request that is put nicely can make a big difference in your enjoyment.

Make sure you heed Hlitner's post about room location. We, also, stick with the A2s, even though we can get that free upgrade to an A1. Use the sticky post about cabins to check out good locations. (We like forward on the even numbered side of the ship because it's under the beauty shop and store)

Makes sense - its booked up now anyway. I do like less luscious food, healthier options - might save me from myself - or my arteries - every little helps !

In an A2 here, 1641 on Deck 11, pretty much Aft, seems to be a decent location.

I find that people either love Blu or hate it. If you are Aqua for the first time, go with no expectations.

You can respect other opinions, but don't make up your mind until you've tried it yourself.

We are not in the 'love' Blu camp but certainly enjoy Blu breakfast over the MDR or buffet.

We found Blu to be too noisy and the tables too close for a romantic dinner. We find no such thing as a real table for two like in the MDR. My brother loves the Persian Gardens. On some ships it is better than others and I can take it or leave it.

The only thing that I would definitely pay attention to for Aqua is cabin locations. As stated many many times here, not all A1s are in prime locations. However, that has more to do with paying attention to location overall which is probably the most important thing to watch for when booking and less to do specifically with Aqua.

Decide what YOU like and enjoy YOUR cruise!

I would have thought a table for 2 in Blu would have been a bit better than in the MDR? Just as cramped up then? The MDR looks spectacular in pictures.

Yeah, as we are first times, may as well relax and time will tell - we will soon know what we like, and will also know if cruising is for us or not.....

Edited by AidenL

Just be careful about being sucked into an upgrade from an A2 to A1....especially on Solstice Class ships. When we book Aqua on these ships we are very specific regarding cabin location. Many of the higher priced A1s are actually in lousy locations directly under the pool areas. Other cabins might be under the gym/spa. And the midship cabins are directly under the huge pool-deck overhang which blocks out much of the sky view. So when we book Aqua we actually prefer the lower cost A2 cabins aft of the pool area (man of these cabins have cabin numbers beginning with "16" such as 1630. These particular cabins have an additional passenger deck above, giving some separation from the overhang and not having a public deck (with moving chairs) above our heads.

Hank

I noticed that as I was looking at the deck plans of the S class ships and the M class ship. I was surprised that they were priced as an A2. They those probably book fast. I would consider them if I was booking on an S class ship if the price was right. I have no love for the Aqua locations on an M class ship.

I'm a Blu/AC lover but definitely don't choose it every time we sail. For our May Infinity cruise we chose to dial all the way down to a 2C. AC was over $600 more pp, and we decided to use that $1200 for experiences along the way.

I do feel sorry for those who are saddled with a "picky eater" in their travel party. That picky eater is given all the decision-making power of where to dine, and there's a constant stream of dishes being sent back, which I can only imagine really affects the whole dining experience. I would personally jettison that person - well, detach myself from them so I could dine where and when I prefer. I'm just not willing to sacrifice my experience to possibly (but probably not) please someone else. I'm selfish when it comes right down to it.

The vast majority love Blu, and the Aqua experience, but a few don't. We are part of the ones who love Aqua including the "cleaner" cuisine of Blu, the Persian Gardens, the Relaxation room (on S class ships), the infused in-room teas (don't expect "iced tea" that you get on a Mississippi River cruise), shower massager, and all the other perks. Aqua is a Spa type of experience. Try Aqua yourself and see if you like it.

I'm a Blu/AC lover but definitely don't choose it every time we sail. For our May Infinity cruise we chose to dial all the way down to a 2C. AC was over $600 more pp, and we decided to use that $1200 for experiences along the way.

I do feel sorry for those who are saddled with a "picky eater" in their travel party. That picky eater is given all the decision-making power of where to dine, and there's a constant stream of dishes being sent back, which I can only imagine really affects the whole dining experience. I would personally jettison that person - well, detach myself from them so I could dine where and when I prefer. I'm just not willing to sacrifice my experience to possibly (but probably not) please someone else. I'm selfish when it comes right down to it.

Interesting solution, however if the person you would jettison is your spouse, that is probably not a solution.

I do feel sorry for those who are saddled with a "picky eater" in their travel party. That picky eater is given all the decision-making power of where to dine, and there's a constant stream of dishes being sent back, which I can only imagine really affects the whole dining experience. I would personally jettison that person - well, detach myself from them so I could dine where and when I prefer.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. We did one cruise with a couple and the wife was a vegetarian. Irrespective of the vegetarian menu with many choices, she constantly complained that she wanted large portobello mushrooms...the ones she got were too small or cut up...and she required modification to every vegetarian dish whether in Blu or Qsine. The ship tried everything to make her happy, but to no avail. Blu was not the issue...they really tried, but she was perhaps the epitome of "picky eaters." I don't think she realized just how uncomfortable it made the rest of us feel, or if she cared. It was a truly painful experience and I wanted to jettison her over the side during the cruise. Needless to say, we don't cruise with them any longer.