Why so few on roll calls?

cl.klink

If you think those are good, you should have read the Sailaway Gang roll call, LOL! Lots of fun and likely one of the most posts on a roll call. Watch for a future one.;)

WOW, a Sailaway Gang roll call. Where to go for the Meet & Greet ? :D

I started the roll call for my June 11 2016 Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise in November, but still no one has joined. I got so lonely, I ended up starting a conversation with myself and posted back and forth just to myself to make it look like an active roll call. Maybe now someone will scroll along and say "Aha, 8 replies, time to join in!"

I noted on my last (and first ever) HAL cruise that the roll call for that one was not very active either (also Alaska). Three other Celebrity cruises had very active roll calls (none Alaska). What's going on here? Are HAL cruisers less interested in roll calls than some other cruisers? Is it an Alaska thing? Or is my presence now the kiss of death.

Feeling ill at ease,

- Joel

Glad you posted. I have had the same experience with starting a roll call and wondering what the problem was. Other than our first cruise, have always sailed Princess (with active roll calls) so wondered if we had made a mistake choosing Hal. Felt a little better when I noted that roll calls which had lots of discussion were those that involved sailing on long world cruise segments. Our planned cruise is now less than six months out and still very little discussion. It is a very port intensive Mediterrean cruise with only a couple of sea days. I love connecting with people before we even get on the ship.

Sandy :)

OP, Some of us have cruised a time or 2 before and just get tired of posting to Roll Calls.

Yes, we might start a Roll Call or post to an existing one just to let other friends, both personal and cyber, that we will be on the same cruise, but do not feel a need to ramble on with hellos and other inanities.

There are enough people on most roll calls who like to say welcome and wish Happy Holidays, etc., etc., that I now do not feel that I need to add mine along with theirs.

I try only to post things that I feel are of importance to the Cruise Roll Call, such as Price Drops, Itinerary Change....

Just tired of inane roll calls. Sorry if someone feels slighted, but that is my way and I am too old to wish to change.

Joanie

But if you are in the Queens Lounge you won't hear the toots !

I thought you asked about the Meet and Greet? not the sail a way.

The Meet and Greet is on a sea day. Sail a Ways are when we leave port.

We always hear toots on Sail a ways :)

Sorry for the confusion if I misread your post.

OP, Some of us have cruised a time or 2 before and just get tired of posting to Roll Calls.

Yes, we might start a Roll Call or post to an existing one just to let other friends, both personal and cyber, that we will be on the same cruise, but do not feel a need to ramble on with hellos and other inanities.

There are enough people on most roll calls who like to say welcome and wish Happy Holidays, etc., etc., that I now do not feel that I need to add mine along with theirs.

I try only to post things that I feel are of importance to the Cruise Roll Call, such as Price Drops, Itinerary Change....

Just tired of inane roll calls. Sorry if someone feels slighted, but that is my way and I am too old to wish to change.

Joanie

With all due respect, if roll calls are inane, then why be the OP and start it? Leave it to those that enjoy roll calls and will participate.

So glad the OP of our great roll call is active and excited as are the rest of the roll call. :)

Joanie

I may be wrong but I did not think the purpose of starting a roll call was to just interact with one's friends. I thought it was to include everyone who posts. Your comments seem to reinforce what some have been saying about feeling unwelcome on a roll call because they are not part of a clique.

That is good advice, Walt, but when the exclusion is a sin of omission rather than a sin of commission there is no violation of guidelines. The message still gets delivered as "You are not welcome".

I may be wrong but I did not think the purpose of starting a roll call was to just interact with one's friends. I thought it was to include everyone who posts. Your comments seem to reinforce what some have been saying about feeling unwelcome on a roll call because they are not part of a clique.

Thank you, sapper1. IMO these 2 posts hit the nail squarely on the head in focusing on the cliquishness and generally unfriendly tone (of many posts) on CC as part of the reason that many CCers avoid participating in Roll Calls. Why would a person want to contribute a suggestion, respond to a question or (God forbid!) express an opinion that might run counter to the collective opinion(s) of the Clique?

Edited by avian777

The trouble with starting a roll call and then deserting it or not taking time to welcome others to it, is that someone else might have done a better job and kept the roll call going.

I started the now quite active Roll Call for my cruise in eight days because I missed the interaction and reading the posts from my previous Roll Call. As the first few CCers joined it, I welcomed each.

However, as the Roll Call slowly became more active and others began to post regularly, I did not feel it was necessary to personally continue to welcome each new arrival since others were doing so also. However, I still chime in with a bit of new info, a pithy comment, a thank you, or a welcome several times a week.

I certainly do not feel as if I deserted my Roll Call!

I started the now quite active Roll Call for my cruise in eight days because I missed the interaction and reading the posts from my previous Roll Call. As the first few CCers joined it, I welcomed each.

However, as the Roll Call slowly became more active and others began to post regularly, I did not feel it was necessary to personally continue to welcome each new arrival since others were doing so also. However, I still chime in with a bit of new info, a pithy comment, a thank you, or a welcome several times a week.

I certainly do not feel as if I deserted my Roll Call!

you are totally correct.

There is a big difference between what you are doing and did and what was posted previously (calling a roll call inane & not posting). Regular posts are just fine.

You must be busy packing - I hope you have a fabulous voyage and enjoy every minute in your suite :)

I'm currently on 4 roll calls. The most active is my Celebrity Pacific Coastal. The least active is the 2nd leg of 2 back to backs.

I tend to disappear when the only talk is about arranging tours or if nobody bothers to welcome or acknowledge new posters. If it's a clique then I won't join, period.

Joanie

I never said I felt slighted. I found the near instant response to half the roll call while the complete stonewalling of the other half to be rude, especially after a few years of us emailing outside of CC. There was much comment about chocolate, private dinners, private get togethers on your verandah, etc. If you found the roll call to be inane then why post about anything at all? This is why I said I felt unwelcome, not slighted.

I am not up for word twisting as I am still that sick but I did want to clearly explain my viewpoint and why I felt that way. Your age is not a cover that explains away that it is acceptable to only communicate to a portion of the roll call.

I never said I felt slighted. I found the near instant response to half the roll call while the complete stonewalling of the other half to be rude, especially after a few years of us emailing outside of CC. There was much comment about chocolate, private dinners, private get togethers on your verandah, etc. If you found the roll call to be inane then why post about anything at all? This is why I said I felt unwelcome, not slighted.

I am not up for word twisting as I am still that sick but I did want to clearly explain my viewpoint and why I felt that way. Your age is not a cover that explains away that it is acceptable to only communicate to a portion of the roll call.

What a really sad comment 1of4.

If there are private get togethers they should be off board and not on the roll call. Nor should talk of the "private party" be on the roll call.

All of our roll calls have included everyone. If you are going to post on a roll call then that's the way it should be. JMO though.

I have met so many wonderful people on roll calls - I am at a loss to understand why anyone would exclude anyone :confused:

Edited by kazu

What a really sad comment 1of4.

If there are private get togethers they should be off board and not on the roll call. Nor should talk of the "private party" be on the roll call.

All of our roll calls have included everyone. If you are going to post on a roll call then that's the way it should be. JMO though.

I have met so many wonderful people on roll calls - I am at a loss to understand why anyone would exclude anyone :confused:

Agree! I have been involved with a couple of cabin parties involving roll call members and both times all were invited, as it should be.

It might be because the cruise is so far off.

It might pick up closer to the cruise date.

That is actually a very good point, and true of many cruises, especially those that are shorter, for example 7-days. I have a done a couple of longer (21/22 days) and many people book those well in advance, over a year ahead. Those roll calls have been very lively right from the get-go, and they accelerate as we get closer to sailing date. By the time we sail, we all know each other very well and have become good friends.:D

For the OP,

a couple of tips. I looked at the Amsterdam roll call page and there doesn't appear to be a page two, so if you have to talk to yourself, do so, so your roll call thread doesn't drop off the first page.

As well, you can set your subscription for your roll call thread for "instant email notification" so that when someone replies you will get notified and can go to the roll call and reply back.

Hoping this helps a bit