Comparing Celebrity to Princess

dan722

We were on the Coral, departing wonderful Vancouver on June 24, going to Whittier, via Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. We had been to Anchorage and Whittier before, taking the 26 glacier cruise and going to Denali.

It was so bad, we were complete alcoholics at the end of the cruise (also because of the unlimited drink package).:D

The age demographics on all Alaska cruises (minus Disney) is significantly older. My RCCL cruise had quite a few older people on the sailing. You can't compare demographics from Alaska cruises to let's say Caribbean cruises.

Princess Captain's Circle benefits just can't compare to Celebrity or Royal Caribbean loyal members benefits. Princess does a some nice cruises on the west coast. I'm now Platinum now with Princess. I'm sure at some point I will do another Princess cruise.

After two great cruises with Celebrity and two disappointing ones with Royal, we tried Princess last year, from Vancouver to Alaska. It was the most boring, uninspiring cruise ever and we felt we were too young for this senior citizens home (we are in our late sixties):D. The food and service in the MDR was worse than the buffet and the noise from the one man band in the Crooners Lounge was so loud, you could not carry a conversation. The whole experience was SABENA (Such A Bloody Experience Never Again).:eek:

I think the boredom had more to do with the itinerary than the cruise line. If your not aroused by staring at ice, or nature for hours on end then this itinerary would be boring on any cruise line. I sailed both Celebrity and Princess in the Caribbean and found that Princess was more lively than Celebrity. By the way late sixties isn't the same as when our parents were in their sixties. It's more like late forties for us. I'm 55 and I won't be ready for Alaska until late 70's when I can just sit and stare while drinking hot chocolate.

Who would you say as a better loyalty program?

It depends what level you are at. With the drink package that Celebrity is pushing elite status doesn't appeal to me as much as the one category upgrade at the classic level does. Princess offers free internet minutes after the fifth cruise but you don't reach the next elite level until you sail 10 more times or reach a high level of days I think it's 150. I think the Celebrity program works best for me since we jump between lines and don't cruise that often. We are Platinum on Princess but Celebrity's drink package works out to be a better deal than free internet minutes on Princess.

Who would you say as a better loyalty program?

It depends on what loyalty club benefits appeal to you. Princess has more Internet minutes and free laundry than Celebrity at their Elite level. We don't use the Internet or laundry on board while on 7 to 10 day cruises. Celebrity offers more on board exclusive events and other perks for Elite members. So, Celebrity Elite has more value to us than Princess Elite. In addition it takes 15 cruises on Princess to reach their Elite level while it took us only 5 cruises on Celebrity to reach Elite because Celebrity bases their loyalty level on days cruised and class of stateroom and Princess doesn't. Princess bases their loyalty program on number of cruises of any length and all staterooms are the same.

It depends on what loyalty club benefits appeal to you. Princess has more Internet minutes and free laundry than Celebrity at their Elite level. We don't use the Internet or laundry on board while on 7 to 10 day cruises. Celebrity offers more on board exclusive events and other perks for Elite members. So, Celebrity Elite has more value to us than Princess Elite. In addition it takes 15 cruises on Princess to reach their Elite level while it took us only 5 cruises on Celebrity to reach Elite because Celebrity bases their loyalty level on days cruised and class of stateroom and Princess doesn't. Princess bases their loyalty program on number of cruises of any length and all staterooms are the same.

Not exactly accurate.

Princess bases loyalty level on cruises AND/OR days cruised.

Elite is 15 cruises or 150 days at sea.

The only thing that doesn't change your credits is cabin level.

We take mostly longer cruises and eat dinner late so the expanded internet , totally free dry cleaning and laundry and small bottles of liquor in our cabin that we get on Princess work out better for us than 90 minutes of internet, one item dry cleaned, one bag of laundry and the

5 - 7 Happy Hour, on Celebrity, which is when we're dressing for dinner.

Both lines have wine tastings for Elite and afternoon tea (open to everyone on Princess) and the Meet the Senior Crew events so that's a wash.

Edited by chamima

Not sure why someone would opt to do a partial transit of the canal. You miss the culebra cut and the part of the canal that allows you to see the territory up close.

Also, good to read the book, Path Between the Seas.

Not exactly accurate.

Princess bases loyalty level on cruises AND/OR days cruised.

Elite is 15 cruises or 150 days at sea.

The only thing that doesn't change your credits is cabin level.

We take mostly longer cruises and eat dinner late so the expanded internet , totally free dry cleaning and laundry and small bottles of liquor in our cabin that we get on Princess work out better for us than 90 minutes of internet, one item dry cleaned, one bag of laundry and the

5 - 7 Happy Hour, on Celebrity, which is when we're dressing for dinner.

Both lines have wine tastings for Elite and afternoon tea (open to everyone on Princess) and the Meet the Senior Crew events so that's a wash.

We found that on Princess that there were very few extra benefits for booking suites, unlike what you get with Celebrity. We did six Princess Cruises and enjoyed every one of them but the only real suite perk was breakfast in Sabatinis and a few miniature spirits in the room which was nice.

We did a 20 night B2B on Princess which we loved but when I went to book the same the following year the price had risen by 40%. I then found Celebrity and have not yet become jaded with it as they keep changing things a bit.

We also did a full transit on the Sea Princess SF to FL which was wonderful at the time. That ship only has 6 full suites and we got the last one the day after the cruise started to sell. At the back of the ship going through the canal, wonderful. You can see right down to the gates etc.

We did a number of AQ cabins and were at the stage of looking elsewhere as Blu was the same every cruise when Luminae was launched. As long as they keep changing the menus we are quite happy again.

Celebrity have hardly touched the menus in Blu and the specialities since we started cruising with them. Luminae give us much more choice plus Blu and MDR. The Beverage Packages also work well for us with Celebrity. I like to get as much as I can paid up front rather getting the handful of paper the last night of the cruise.

We will go back to Princess but not until late 2017 at the earliest and I have my eye on a Celebrity cruise for then at the moment - just waiting for some perks or deals to be added int he UK.

Not sure why someone would opt to do a partial transit of the canal. You miss the culebra cut and the part of the canal that allows you to see the territory up close.

Also, good to read the book, Path Between the Seas.

Because you can take the ferry through the Culebra cut to the Pacific Ocean, which makes the Canal even more astounding (from the perspective of a much smaller ship) -- and then the cruise ship brings you back to Florida where your car is.

I am fairly certain you get extra credit for a suite on Princess as well? How long ago was you Princess cruise in a suite?

IMO the Celebrity loyalty program is now better.

I am fairly certain you get extra credit for a suite on Princess as well? How long ago was you Princess cruise in a suite?

You're right.

I forgot about that.

You get credit for 2 cruises for sailing in a suite.

Also get double credit for sailing solo and triple credit for solo in a suite.

The suite benefits ARE better on Celebrity but I wonder if anyone has done a price comparison to see if you're paying a lot more for those benefits.

We are on Princess a month ago for the first time in a mini-suite. No extra credit for that. Can't speak to the regular suites though, no mention on Princess website.

For the benefits we value most, agreed, but I know other cruisers prefer the Princess loyalty benefits.

If I may correct you on the part highlighted in red...

I am Elite on Princess after 8 seven day cruises, sailing in suites which count as TWO cruise credits for each occupant (2 of us).

With the suite, regardless of status, comes the perks of

More space! Varying from 525 sq ft (Grand Class) to 932 sq ft (Ocean and Pacific Princess)

Separate toilet and bathroom with whirlpool tub, glass enclosed shower/toiletries from the ship's spa.

Breakfast in Sabatini's where you can order from any restaurant on the ship should you wish

Free mini-bar set up/ wet bar

Daily canapés/bottle of champagne at sailaway/fresh flowers/boutonnieres on Formal nights

Free unlimited priority laundry/shoe shine

One free wine tasting event/Captain's cocktail party free drinks

Priority embarkation/ priority tendering

Curtain separating bedroom from living room so one can dress at 5 am while the other sleeps.

In room afternoon tea with fresh scones and cream/sandwiches/cookies/cakes

Complimentary specialty restaurant on first night/MDR menus delivered daily upon request- have breakfast lunch or dinner delivered to your balcony.

150 minutes comp internet ( starts at Platinum level)

10% off in the gift shops (at Elite level)

Those are all off the top of my head-but the suite space is the big draw for us.

I can't compare Princess suites/benefits to Celebrity as I haven't sailed X...yet.

I will be on the Silhouette in an aft sky suite Jan 17 to 24 so will be in a better position to compare the suite experience afterwards. I am an admirer of the S Class design and looking forward to Luminae and Blu, neither of which have a counterpart on Princess.

Norris

I am Elite on Princess after 8 seven day cruises, sailing in suites which count as TWO cruise credits for each occupant (2 of us).

Good information. I have a question about that. We have friends who take an overnight relocation on Princess from Vancouver to Seattle and vice versa a couple of times a year. Would that one night cruise count the same two cruise credits in a suite as a 7 day or say 21 day cruise on Princess in a suite? Do the Princess suites have a butler? You will have a butler in your Sky Suite.

Just to compare, you can earn Elite status on Celebrity after 6 seven day cruises in a Sky Suite and as few as 3 seven day cruises in some of the larger suites.

First of all, let me say that I am Elite Plus on Celebrity, Platinum on Princess...So, yes, I have cruised on both a number of times...I'll get back to the loyalty programs in a bit...

As to which is better, both lines...really EVERY line (even Carnival)... has its fans...

All cruise lines do a lot of the same things...All do a few things differently...What YOU find better or worse or what anyone finds better or worse is dependent on what you or they find important as well as a lot of subjective standards...We all have our own standards, our own criteria, our own expectations...

I generally cruise with Princess nowadays ONLY where there is no similar Celebrity option...such as when I want a cruise out of my local home port of Los Angeles...Princess has lots of them, Celebrity very few. But, where there are similar cruises offered on similar dates by both lines, MY choice would be Celebrity. Here is why:

One of the criteria most important to me is the spaciousness of the ship. And this is one area that is far more OBJECTIVE than the others...Food is often just a matter of individual taste. Entertainment, again, for the most part, individual taste...BUT, you can actually measure the spaciousness. I look at a few factors...mostly the space-per-passenger ratios--how many gross tons (a measure of volume, not weight) per the number of passengers at full double or at maximum occupancy. Celebrity's numbers, across the fleet, are simply better. More space equals more comfort, fewer lines, fewer waits...Another thing I look at is the size of venues per the number of passengers--most notable is the main showroom...Princess simply has not enough seats for the number of passengers onboard--often forcing you to show up far too early to get a seat for a show. It is worse in Princess' secondary show lounges--where they schedule most comedians, magicians, etc. Can I live with it? Sure...Do I prefer Celebrity? Certainly.

Another noticeable difference in the lines is in their management of "Anytime" dining. Celebrity carefully controls this so that people without anytime bookings are not allowed. Princess will seat anyone. What happens on Princess is that people book traditional dining, then use it as an option, showing up at the anytime dining room whenever they want to eat earlier or later than their assigned seating time...The result is that the traditional dining rooms are half empty while the Anytime rooms are crowded and diners are given beepers and turned away.

Also, the Princess ships are, in my estimation, not as well designed (personal preference here)...Dining rooms have low ceilings are are broken up into 3 or 4 smaller rooms...Celebrity dining rooms are large and spacious and have a more elegant feel. Princess ships are often difficult to navigate...Go to the wrong deck to get to a dining room and you'll have to go back up a deck or two to get across to the aft...

And, there's the matter of smoking...Princess allows smokers to pollute far too many venues onboard.

In my book, though Princess still offers a pleasant cruise and I have no problem cruising with them, Celebrity is just a far better overall experience...

As to the loyalty programs...First, as to attaining levels. We reached Elite on Celebrity (under the old system) in just three cruises (thanks to a small clerical error)--it really should have been four (by booking suites and longer cruises). We are Platinum on Princess, but still several cruises from Elite--which takes 15 cruises...We are now Elite Plus on Celebrity, but the same number of cruises on Princess still would not have made us Elite!

On Celebrity, we have enjoyed free pre-dinner drinks as Elite/Elite Plus cruisers...On Princess, as Platinum or Elite, there are NO free drinks. You instead get invited to a lounge pre-dinner where they give you one appetizer-of-the-day (last cruise, one day it was bad-looking brownish guacamole, another it was beef tartare) and offer you a very limited handful of drink specials at a discounted $5 each...Princess offers 150 minutes per cruise of free internet at Platinum, unlimited at Elite and free laundry at Elite...Celebrity gives 50 minutes of internet at Elite, 200 at Elite Plus and a load each of laundry at Elite, two each at Elite Plus...Celebrity also gives Elites a free wine tasting and some other minor amenities. Princess gives its Elites a free in-room mini bar set up of a few airplane sized liquor bottles...

I prefer the Celebrity deal better based mostly on the free drinking hours--though with the all inclusive drink promos, it has become slightly less important...

To the OP, best way to know if you like Princess is to just try them once and see what YOU think...Everyone else just has an opinion based on their own desires and experiences...and all that will differ person to person...

Again, FOR ME, Princess is "acceptable"--especially if there is a particular itinerary that I want...Celebrity is preferred...

I generally cruise with Princess nowadays ONLY where there is no similar Celebrity option...such as when I want a cruise out of my local home port of Los Angeles...Princess has lots of them, Celebrity very few. But, where there are similar cruises offered on similar dates by both lines, MY choice would be Celebrity. ...........Do I prefer Celebrity? Certainly.

In my book, though Princess still offers a pleasant cruise and I have no problem cruising with them, Celebrity is just a far better overall experience...........

Again, FOR ME, Princess is "acceptable"--especially if there is a particular itinerary that I want...Celebrity is preferred...

Steve, this is exactly where we are coming from. I hope that when Celebrity puts their two new ships in service, they will base one of their older M class ships in LA or San Diego. That would make us very happy!

We have taken many cruises on both Celebrity and Princess. We did the partial Panama Canal transit on Princess a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it very much. We selected Princess because we couldn't take 2 weeks off from work for a Panama Canal cruise, and Princess was the only line with a shorter itinerary. I wouldn't hesitate to book Princess for the partial Panama Canal itinerary, we had a great trip.

Good information. I have a question about that. We have friends who take an overnight relocation on Princess from Vancouver to Seattle and vice versa a couple of times a year. Would that one night cruise count the same two cruise credits in a suite as a 7 day or say 21 day cruise on Princess in a suite? Do the Princess suites have a butler? You will have a butler in your Sky Suite.

Just to compare, you can earn Elite status on Celebrity after 6 seven day cruises in a Sky Suite and as few as 3 seven day cruises in some of the larger suites.

[/size]

On Princess you receive 1 cruise credit per sailing in any stateroom below a suite or two cruise credits per sailing in a suite. So on a 1 day, 7 day or 21 day cruise you would earn 1 or 2 cruise credits depending on the stateroom category you choose. In addition a solo cruiser would receive 2 cruise credits per sailing in a category below suite and I believe 3 cruise credits for booking a suite. You need 5 credits to reach platinum and 15 credits to reach elite. I think there should be some level between platinum and elite. Someone like myself who can't cruise as often or on long itineraries isn't compelled to be loyal after reaching platinum. You can also move up the rank by number of days. To make it to elite you need 150 days or 15 cruise credits. Fifteen 7 day cruises in a stateroom below a suite category will get you to elite the same way a fifteen 10 day cruises will if you count days and not credits.

First of all, let me say that I am Elite Plus on Celebrity, Platinum on Princess...So, yes, I have cruised on both a number of times...I'll get back to the loyalty programs in a bit...

As to which is better, both lines...really EVERY line (even Carnival)... has its fans...

All cruise lines do a lot of the same things...All do a few things differently...What YOU find better or worse or what anyone finds better or worse is dependent on what you or they find important as well as a lot of subjective standards...We all have our own standards, our own criteria, our own expectations...

Another noticeable difference in the lines is in their management of "Anytime" dining. Celebrity carefully controls this so that people without anytime bookings are not allowed. Princess will seat anyone. What happens on Princess is that people book traditional dining, then use it as an option, showing up at the anytime dining room whenever they want to eat earlier or later than their assigned seating time...The result is that the traditional dining rooms are half empty while the Anytime rooms are crowded and diners are given beepers and turned away.

You are correct on this one!

Also, the Princess ships are, in my estimation, not as well designed (personal preference here)...Dining rooms have low ceilings are are broken up into 3 or 4 smaller rooms...Celebrity dining rooms are large and spacious and have a more elegant feel. Princess ships are often difficult to navigate...Go to the wrong deck to get to a dining room and you'll have to go back up a deck or two to get across to the aft..

And to some of us the MDR on Celebrity is not elegant but WAY too loud and echoey. We much appreciate the much quieter, more intimate dining rooms on Princess.

And, there's the matter of smoking...Princess allows smokers to pollute far too many venues onboard.

The only indoor venue one can smoke in on Princess is the casino. However, I, too , wish they would change that.

In my book, though Princess still offers a pleasant cruise and I have no problem cruising with them, Celebrity is just a far better overall experience...

As to the loyalty programs...First, as to attaining levels. We reached Elite on Celebrity (under the old system) in just three cruises (thanks to a small clerical error)--it really should have been four (by booking suites and longer cruises). We are Platinum on Princess, but still several cruises from Elite--which takes 15 cruises...We are now Elite Plus on Celebrity, but the same number of cruises on Princess still would not have made us Elite!

On Celebrity, we have enjoyed free pre-dinner drinks as Elite/Elite Plus cruisers...On Princess, as Platinum or Elite, there are NO free drinks.

(Except for the 15 or so small bottle of liquor you get in your cabin to be consumed any time you want, not just between 5 and 7)

You instead get invited to a lounge pre-dinner where they give you one appetizer-of-the-day (last cruise, one day it was bad-looking brownish guacamole, another it was beef tartare) and offer you a very limited handful of drink specials at a discounted $5 each...Princess offers 150 minutes per cruise of free internet at Platinum,

(Depending on the length of the cruise - It's 250 minutes for a 10 day cruise)

unlimited at Elite and (unlimited)free laundry at Elite (and dry cleaning) ...Celebrity gives 50 (90)minutes of internet at Elite, 200 at Elite Plus (no matter how long the cruise)and a load each of laundry at Elite, two each at Elite Plus...Celebrity also gives Elites a free wine tasting (as does Princess) and some other minor amenities. Princess gives its Elites a free in-room mini bar set up of a few airplane sized liquor bottles...

I prefer the Celebrity deal better based mostly on the free drinking hours--though with the all inclusive drink promos, it has become slightly less important...

To the OP, best way to know if you like Princess is to just try them once and see what YOU think...Everyone else just has an opinion based on their own desires and experiences...and all that will differ person to person...

As you said - it really IS personal about which amenities are more important to each of us.

As for us, the pasta courses and the dessert souffles on Princess are something Celebrity doesn't even come close to duplicating and will always tip the scale towards Princess. ;) :)

Edited by chamima

Do the Princess suites have a butler?[/b] You will have a butler in your Sky Suite.

Just to compare' date=' you can earn Elite status on Celebrity after 6 seven day cruises in a Sky Suite and as few as 3 seven day cruises in some of the larger suites.

[/size']

No butlers on Princess. I'm looking forward to working with one.

Norris