When do you pack? Curious!

true45

I just put this out on our roll call thread but am curious about all of you.

We are leaving Saturday - one night in hotel before 14 night sailing.

I'm 1/2 packed. Delicate clothes and toiletries I need not packed yet.

DH is 0 packed.

Do you pack for spouse or does spouse pack for you? Everyone on their own?

I might help husband if he has gig the night before since he does nothing in advance, but mostly we are on our own.

This is our 1st 14-night sailing but have 20-something cruises. I have a nice, new bigger suitcase, and we will have laundry for the 1st time through Elite (hate that word) benefits. But laundry is not going to help me too much since my clothes most of my clothes don't go in the dryer -- great for husband, though. I'm an overpacker, I'll admit it -- but still afraid I won't have enough of everything for 15 nights.

I have a list but it is constantly in a state of flux, things being added and subtracted. I admire those who are organized and know exactly what they will need. Maybe because I'm a Sagittarius and tend to look at the big picture not the details?

Happy sailings,

Linda

Hi Linda,

I'm the list person. :)

Our clothes for our cruise at the end of this month are mostly packed - I pack our winter trip clothes as soon as summer's over. Just this morning, our granddaughter tried on her summer clothes to make sure things still fit.

I'm a detailed planner in most aspects of life and vacations are no different. I have vacations planned out on spreadsheets, beginning as soon as we know where our next trip will be. We'll be heading to Disneyworld in Sept next year and I've got a folder and spreadsheet started for that.

I do the packing for us. It's a control issue. :)

The fundamental rule of packing is to put everything you know you will need on a spare bed, two days before you are leaving. The next day, put 1/2 of it back in your closet/drawers. Some, mostly females, do this twice. The other rule is that on a 14 night cruise, you do not require 14 (or more) pairs of shoes.

Other than that...nothing is etched in stone. My DW packs first...and then I either fill her suitcase(s) or pack my own. I do keep my carry on bag in my office about a week before we leave so I can add/remove electronics/cameras/chargers and similar...the types of things you just forget to take.

One item we are very careful of....we pack a complete duplicate set of medication in our packed bags and we carry our full supply in our carry on(s).

We verify that each has their backup medications. Other than that, my DW doesn't touch my bag and, in an effort to stay married, I don't touch hers.

We tend to move towards a final countdown...

About a month before we will get out clothes we intend to take then see what we are missing/items that seem faded....

Then we will buy new.

Complete checklist...

Day before, pack!

Surprisingly we find the clothes are not usually an issue, we find ourselves discussing....chess set? Extra shower gel 'just in case'? Two or three cameras? Pringles for the pre cruise stay?.......loads of stuff we may or may not use....

The fundamental rule of packing is to put everything you know you will need on a spare bed, two days before you are leaving. The next day, put 1/2 of it back in your closet/drawers. Some, mostly females, do this twice. The other rule is that on a 14 night cruise, you do not require 14 (or more) pairs of shoes.

Other than that...nothing is etched in stone. My DW packs first...and then I either fill her suitcase(s) or pack my own. I do keep my carry on bag in my office about a week before we leave so I can add/remove electronics/cameras/chargers and similar...the types of things you just forget to take.

One item we are very careful of....we pack a complete duplicate set of medication in our packed bags and we carry our full supply in our carry on(s).

We verify that each has their backup medications. Other than that, my DW doesn't touch my bag and, in an effort to stay married, I don't touch hers.

You're funny

I did take out a pair of jeans but I think I'll put 2 more in

The weather might be chilly [emoji41]

Live in Florida so 70 is cool

Med suggestion is a good one

Hi Linda,

I'm the list person. :)

Our clothes for our cruise at the end of this month are mostly packed - I pack our winter trip clothes as soon as summer's over. Just this morning, our granddaughter tried on her summer clothes to make sure things still fit.

I'm a detailed planner in most aspects of life and vacations are no different. I have vacations planned out on spreadsheets, beginning as soon as we know where our next trip will be. We'll be heading to Disneyworld in Sept next year and I've got a folder and spreadsheet started for that.

I do the packing for us. It's a control issue. :)

Sounds like Scouts, always prepared

If I'm prepared, I'm lucky

About a month before we will get out clothes we intend to take then see what we are missing/items that seem faded....

Then we will buy new.

Complete checklist...

Day before, pack!

Surprisingly we find the clothes are not usually an issue, we find ourselves discussing....chess set? Extra shower gel 'just in case'? Two or three cameras? Pringles for the pre cruise stay?.......loads of stuff we may or may not use....

Don't use much of the stuff we bring, but I read here some bring even more like duct tape, magnets, door organizers etc.

I pack for my DH and myself.

I start with gathering all the toiletries about 4 weeks in advance. Get those all situated in Ziploc bags, gather up the dual-voltage mini travel hair dryer, the dual-voltage flat iron, all the brushes, etc. - everything we need for the bathroom 4 weeks ahead of time.

Next, I put all the unmentionables in cube packing bags so all we have to do is unzip and plop them in a drawer.

Last is the clothes and the thing I hate packing the most. Those go in about 3 days prior.

Bags are zipped, tagged, locked and ready to go downstairs for the driver about a day ahead of time.

Carry-on is last because I have to add last-minute things like the iPhone charger and Kindle.

I pack for my DH and myself.

I start with gathering all the toiletries about 4 weeks in advance. Get those all situated in Ziploc bags, gather up the dual-voltage mini travel hair dryer, the dual-voltage flat iron, all the brushes, etc. - everything we need for the bathroom 4 weeks ahead of time.

Next, I put all the unmentionables in cube packing bags so all we have to do is unzip and plop them in a drawer.

Last is the clothes and the thing I hate packing the most. Those go in about 3 days prior.

Bags are zipped, tagged, locked and ready to go downstairs for the driver about a day ahead of time.

Carry-on is last because I have to add last-minute things like the iPhone charger and Kindle.

Good suggestions

I'm using small zip cubes for lingerie myself to put right in drawers as is

Edited by true45

If it is an early morning flight we pack the night before.

If we have an afternoon flight pack in the morning.

We find that if we start packing early we end up taking too many items that we never use/wear. This works for us but we are light packers...carry on only.

Does not matter if we are going for two weeks or two months. We each pack our own bag.

Edited by iancal

I start a month before as I wash things I know I want to take I remove them from my wardrobe. I make piles on the spare bed. A week before I try everything on and tell hubby that he is not to wear anything he wants to take as I am not washing clothes again before we go.

He packs his clothes then I add a bunch more for him as he never co ordinates or allows for the fact that he needs clothes for every day and for different venues. I also remove some of his favorite comfy T shirts that he always tries to sneak in but they really need to go in the trash.

The night before I finalize the packing and weigh the cases. Then I either add a few just in case items or have to remove some things because I am over the limit.

I used to buy all new toiletries but no longer do this, I take half used bottles then if I am over the limit on the way back I will quite happily throw these out to educe the weight.

I start a month before as I wash things I know I want to take I remove them from my wardrobe. I make piles on the spare bed. A week before I try everything on and tell hubby that he is not to wear anything he wants to take as I am not washing clothes again before we go.

He packs his clothes then I add a bunch more for him as he never co ordinates or allows for the fact that he needs clothes for every day and for different venues. I also remove some of his favorite comfy T shirts that he always tries to sneak in but they really need to go in the trash.

The night before I finalize the packing and weigh the cases. Then I either add a few just in case items or have to remove some things because I am over the limit.

I used to buy all new toiletries but no longer do this, I take half used bottles then if I am over the limit on the way back I will quite happily throw these out to educe the weight.

I admit to some supervising of husband's choices

I have veto power

The "guest room bed" system works for me - putting clothes there for several weeks (assuming no guests are occupying it), and then thinning the pile in the home stretch,

DH is on his own. Everybody packs for himself or herself...except of course the dog. Even though she only has one set of "clothes," my service dog's stuff fills a suitcase. Meals + extras go into individual baggies a day or two before departure, with a batch in the wheeled carry-on so that if her bag is lost, she can still eat. Meds, treats, toys, scooper bags, grooming kit and much more. Most critical is her official paperwork for entering various countries and re-entering the U.S.

Then we will buy new.

Complete checklist...

Day before, pack!

First important to note I was a systems engineer and DW organized paperwork for special education. We also travel much of the year and have packed for maybe 10 trips a year for many years. We lay out "cruise clothing" starting about 2 weeks ahead. I with my DW then make piles of shirts, pants etc and she removes some of those for charity. She then does the same except I can only remove clothing to the closet. Toiletries are all in a hang bag about a week ahead so we can do any shopping for anything needed in the last week. One day ahead put all electronics, meds, some toiletries and one outfit each in carry on bag and pack the bags. Usually zip everything up about 24 hours ahead except for toiletries hang bag the last day.

FWIW - usually takes us about 1 hour to pull out the clothes and 20 minutes for me to put in the suitcase. We use one full size, one small suitcase plus a zip fabric tote on for all our trips. Usually take a couple things that need dry cleaning. LOL

I tend to start thinking about what to bring 1 month out. I start putting aside clothes as I find them, as potential items. I usually have them folded in a laundry bin with fabric softener sheets to keep them fresh. About a 4 days prior I actually go through and start packing. Again, I put new fabric softener sheets in our luggage. This helps if you are living out of a suitcase for a few days prior to the cruise. Once on the ship, I have them in my pj drawers. For other trips, business trips for example, I usually pack the night before. My husband and children do all their own packing, I refuse to be responsible if I packed the wrong items. They usually do their packing midnight the night before we leave. Drives me crazy but I find a glass of wine or two helps while they are scrambling to find everything at the last minute.

Start to take out things two weeks Before we leave - but don't do the final packing until last evening (if I do it earlier I forrget what I have packed...)

Always cross pack in case one of our suitcases are lost.

DH decides what he want to take - I do the final packing. Always use packing cubes in differens sizes.

I have to pack at the last minute, so I don't forget what essentials I have to put in! But I do get organised with lists several weeks before with items I need to purchase.

I love the comment about 14 pairs of shoes!

My DH is no longer with us, but the one time he did pack for himself, we had to spend a lot of time(and money) on buying attire which he had forgotten!

Needless to say I packed for him after that.

We start several weeks before. Since we only take carry on luggage we have to be very precise. It's not the clothes that are a concern; it's the meds, toiletries, and electronic items that we have to really consider.

I have a list but it is constantly in a state of flux, things being added and subtracted. I admire those who are organized and know exactly what they will need. Maybe because I'm a Sagittarius and tend to look at the big picture not the details?

I tend to pack so I can wear layers in case of bad weather. Very pleased I did this for our last cruise (July 2015) as we had cold wet weather the first week and warmer weather the second week.

My husband has to do his own packing, as I once was accused of forgetting his razor. At the time we were both working full time. I iron his clothes and leave them hung up, so I suppose I do the 'horse work' for him.

I hate to pack and so I am a last minute packer. Hubby always packs himself. Our first cruise he did not realize that as warm as it gets on a Caribbean cruise that shirt you wore all day does not work for dinner that night. He ran out of clean clothes and ended up buying T-shirts at our last 3 ports of call. I thought it was funny.

Live and learn!

Love the stories

Once, when leaving for Caribbean sailing DH left his jacket in the car. We were only 20 feet away from car & I suggested he go back & get it. He said no.

Flash forward to 55 degree very fast boat ride to the rain forest in Belize. Boat drivers were laughing -- I had a jacket & still used life preserver to block wind. Fun, and I had an "I told you so moment"

Good to have an extra shirt or 2

DH also had a good luck bird poop moment

Edited by true45

We have a area in my closet that is for "cruise clothes". About 2 weeks before we go through and pick the items we will take depending upon weather, itinerary and if we have a pre or post cruise trip. We check to make sure things fit, aren't missing buttons, etc.

1 week before we check all the travel toiletries, misc travel items & bag those up for packing.

We have divided up the chore; I pack for both of us & he carries the luggage:D