Booked cabin for 2 and now 1 can't go

Booked an inside cabin for our 21 year old son and friend so he could join us for Christmas 2016. At this point, the friend is iffy and I don't see that changing for the good. Assuming son will not want to take anyone else, can our son occupy cabin without the friend or will that change booking/pricing? Never had to deal with anything like this and would appreciate any insight....Thank you in advance!

OP: These two responses, while seemingly contradictory, are telling you the same thing. Cruise cabin prices are quoted as double-occupancy. If one person occupied the cabin alone, he/she essentially pays for both halves. You'll save a little on port fees/taxes, but the cabin fare as a single is almost the same as the cabin fare for two people.

I have the opposite problem. We now have a three to share a cabin and have booked a cabin for two. The price of the cruise has gone up so I'm sure I'll be paying about twice as much to make this happen. I'm just hoping I can get a triple cabin, at this point. :(

the single supplement is 200%, same as 2 in the cabin. There will be no change in price

This is exactly what happened to me. DW was at the last minute unable to go. Our stateroom was already paid for and I am now traveling without her. I did not get an increase in fare, but I did get her taxes back. Additionally, to the OP, if the cruise is Dec. 2016, isn't there time to get you money back? This is my first Royal Caribbean cruise, but I think you get a full refund if you cancel with over 75 days left before cruising.

I believe there would be no cost difference between cancelling one person now and paying the single supplement vs cancelling the one person right before sailing.

If you wait, you might find a replacement person.

They may even repriced the first person to current rates when adding the single supplement.

I would think waiting would be best bet.

I know you assume that your son does not want anyone else to go, but that is by far the best option if you can make it happen. I am sure he would not want to be the 3rd in your cabin if you changed to a cabin to accommodate a 3rd person. Paying basically the price for two people for him to have his own cabin is insanely expensive. Best option is to find another individual who could take the place of the person who may not come now.

We had 2 extra cabins where people chose to cancel so I offered them to other friends and family. I now have 2 extremely happy couples who will be joining us on the cruise at a price that is about 1/3rd of what it would cost them to book it now. I would try to see if there is another person who could join your son. You can easily change the name on the reservation at any time by simply calling them. You just need to ensure that at least one name on the original reservation stays the same to keep the original pricing or it will be repriced at current rates.

I have the opposite problem. We now have a three to share a cabin and have booked a cabin for two. The price of the cruise has gone up so I'm sure I'll be paying about twice as much to make this happen. I'm just hoping I can get a triple cabin, at this point. :(

I had your problem, could not fit my DD into my Jr Suite as a last minute addition, it was only for 2, but putting her in a promenade alone was less than us all going up to a GS together. she was over 21 so that wasn't a problem, she loved the privacy of her own room.

the single supplement is 200%, same as 2 in the cabin. There will be no change in price

Just wanted to let you know I just finished reading a couple of your reviews (Independence) and I really enjoyed reading them! We did a B2B cruise on the INDY in Jan-Feb 2014 and we clearly remember having the same issues in the MDR for both cruises as you had explained...hoping the food is better on the Empress cruise that we booked for this March!

Edited by kbset

Booked an inside cabin for our 21 year old son and friend so he could join us for Christmas 2016. At this point, the friend is iffy and I don't see that changing for the good. Assuming son will not want to take anyone else, can our son occupy cabin without the friend or will that change booking/pricing? Never had to deal with anything like this and would appreciate any insight....Thank you in advance!

Thank you all for your informational replies! I really had no idea how this type of situation would be handled. We do have until December so we will see whether he chooses to go solo or find a roomie😊

If you were paying for both of them, as opposed to the friend paying his/her own fare, you will actually save the port fees and taxes for one person. Your son will be without a traveling companion, but you will save money. ;)

Now, if s/he was paying, you would have to pay double to keep your son in that cabin by himself.

Good luck.

:)

Just wanted to let you know I just finished reading a couple of your reviews (Independence) and I really enjoyed reading them! We did a B2B cruise on the INDY in Jan-Feb 2014 and we clearly remember having the same issues in the MDR for both cruises as you had explained...hoping the food is better on the Empress cruise that we booked for this March!

Thanks. Indy is one of our favorites.