No more balloon twister or face painter on Allure/Oasis

kaykels

I went back an reread my letter and it said starting April 1 so I would imagine that means if you are on a cruise they will not kick the twister off but finish it out. I am sorry to hear you will not have one (at least thru this agency)

Jeff

Appreciate the update. Thanks. It must have been fun having that job on a cruise. Good luck.

Surely you must be kidding. It was one of the little extras that RCCL did so well that are being lost. The way things are going, I am surprised that they did not just keep the balloon makers and put a little machine in front of them where you swipe your keycard and they charge $5 to your shipboard account for each balloon animal you have made for your little ones or $5 for each time you have your child's face painted.

After April there will be no more free balloon twisters or face painters on the boardwalk and kids clubs on Allure/Oasis. More budget cuts. This is so disappointing that they took away these free activities.
Will have to cancel my cruise!....:rolleyes:

I had it marked on my planning spreadsheet (that I created from our reservations and from a recent Eastern Allure compass). It was noted on 2 different days. Guess I'll have to remove it. My kids won't know the difference as its our first Allure cruise but they would have enjoyed it for sure.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

After April there will be no more free balloon twisters or face painters on the boardwalk and kids clubs on Allure/Oasis. More budget cuts. This is so disappointing that they took away these free activities.

Glad to see they are cutting the budget on things most people don't use.

Our kids always enjoyed these options as well. Would be nice if RCCL has something else in mind beyond April 1 but if not, at least there are a lot of options for entertainment. But they definitely have had some amazing artists on our previous cruises. Well, except one. The balloon maker could only make swords, hats or a dog (I think). Didn't matter what you asked for, you got one of those. Made us laugh though.

This is such a shame. My kids really looked forward to this. I might even consider sailing a different cruiseline because I am sure if they reduced this activity on Oasis/Allure, it'll become a fleet wide cut. Ugh! Why did they do this?

We had amazing balloon creations on our Nov Oasis cruises for adults and children.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

a3d97702df88b09d60aa1b76b6526e8b.jpg

f59d0e4a64a290fed04c2ef1e0444a3e.jpg

11f08223925cee7d26ccaac82a505bd6.jpg

WOW those are some impressive balloons. We are on the March 26th Oasis sailing. I will have to check this out. I am sure my son will enjoy it. Sorry to see it go.

When I was originally reading this thread I was thinking of the small poodle type of creations. But boy to these look fun.

I have a friend that twists balloons on the ships sometimes and works for the booking agent in charge. They sent a letter explaining due to budget cuts there will be no more need for balloon twisters or face painters after April 2016.

It's a shame because these special little extras are exactly what my family loves about RCCL. Not much is free anymore so I am really sad to see something so popular with the kids is going to be a thing of the past. Prices go up and more and more gets cut.

I hope they change their minds and bring it back ! It may not seem like a big deal to the higher ups at RCCL but it was very appreciated by the families with kids, especially at sea days. My niece loved going to dinner with her face painted on a fairy mask and my nephews loved their balloon hats.

Was it your friend that was with us on Allure back in May of 2013?

we just came back from the Oasis and did not noticed face painting or balloon twisters, I did see a few kids with painted faces but just thought it was done in the kids club

Someone posted a cruise compass for Allure recently (Eastern) and it was on two of the sea days.

So sad! Our toddler had a balloon menagerie set up in our room by the end of our December cruise. Mr. Balloon Man was so nice to us, even making me a corsage and my husband a balloon hat one night in Sabor. He said he was retiring shortly after that cruise.

And for those mocking, yes, some of us would have considered the balloons and face painting as an extra perk/amenity for our children when comparing cruise lines. Many of us enjoy things like character meetings and parades and balloon twisters and watching the delight on our children's faces. I think the cupcakes on Oasis are a ripoff, but I would've spent an extra few bucks on a balloon or a face painter. It's the same as when people say they dislike Carnival because they don't have live music on the pool deck. We all have things that make cruising that much more special to us.

• 2 weeks later...

The face painters and balloon twisters were hired for the last 10 years by third party entertainment company. I am one of the facepainters for them as well. I am painting on the last cruise that will have one on March 24 for Majesty of the Seas. They are no longer offering these services on Royal Caribbean from April 1 to Dec 31,2016 as RC wants to evaluate the program and see if they want to bring it back after that.

Hello all, don't despair! Our roll call on Oasis for February 6th has a balloon artist coming onboard. Perhaps this is something that isn't scheduled all crusies. I will enjoy seeing his work and we bet the kids onboard cannot either!

Hello all, don't despair! Our roll call on Oasis for February 6th has a balloon artist coming onboard. Perhaps this is something that isn't scheduled all crusies. I will enjoy seeing his work and we bet the kids onboard cannot either!

I think you missed the "After April" part of the post you quoted.

Interesting. it is an unpaid position that is contracted out for each sailing through the same company that hires dancers/singers/ and Adventure Ocean staff. I have a friend who used to do it. They would provide her a free stateroom. She was only responsible for gratuities and her onboard spending. She was required to work a few hours each day and the rest of the time was hers to enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like it's hard to justify it as a budget cut. These entertainment "staff" don't get paid except for the free cruise. Can't be much in the grand scheme of things. I hope RCI changes their minds.

In any case, I guess we were lucky to cruise last week with Brian Getz. He's not just a balloon twister, he's a Guiness world record holder for largest balloon sculpture. World class. He went above and beyond made a model of the Oasis of the Seas on his own vacation time. It was about 5 or 6 feet long. Plus he's very personable.

The face painter was very skilled too. My kids enjoyed both artists multiple times. If I had realized they aren't paid, I'd have made an effort to get carry cash so I could tip them.

• 1 month later...

We just retuned from a cruise on the Allure in April (10-17). I'm happy to report that there were scheduled times listed in the compass for face painting on the Boardwalk (we didn't end up going since I didn't know how I'd put sunscreen on our kids afterwards). Also, I didn't see the balloon animals listed in the compass BUT I did see kids walking around a couple times with balloon animals. I asked one of the adults with them where they got them and they said that there was someone outside of the Windjammer making them. So...it is an April cruise and these were still on the Allure.

We just retuned from a cruise on the Allure in April (10-17). I'm happy to report that there were scheduled times listed in the compass for face painting on the Boardwalk (we didn't end up going since I didn't know how I'd put sunscreen on our kids afterwards). Also, I didn't see the balloon animals listed in the compass BUT I did see kids walking around a couple times with balloon animals. I asked one of the adults with them where they got them and they said that there was someone outside of the Windjammer making them. So...it is an April cruise and these were still on the Allure.

The OP stated after April.