Best quac ever!

h-sar

I've been on a quest for great table side quac on every single holiday. Have had it beachside in Mexico, in some of the best Mexican restaurants in Vegas, CA, and FL. None can compare to the quacamole served at Sabor on our Oasis Christmas cruise last week. In fact, we went a second time just for the quac and chips. We happened to be at a beach in Cozumel the day after our Sabor visit and the quacamole at the beach restaurant was not even close to that of Sabor. Can't praise it highly enough. Such a simple recipe, too, and am planning on trying it out this wknd.

Speaking about Sabor, their dessert box was incredible. Not the little box of desserts I was expecting, but a huge platter of delectable deliciousness. Easily shared by 2 or 3 people. We weren't as crazy about the tacos, didn't really care for how bland the meat was, but quite enjoyed the quesadillas and the fresh tortillas hot off the presses. And let's not forget the chicken chipotle bites wrapped in bacon. Heaven.

Well done, Sabor!

You realize its guacamole not quacamole, right??

Yes, realize it's guac and not sure how I managed to mis-type it that many times! Even proofread it before hitting submit and still saw only g's. Good catch, thanks :)

It was better than average, but then, I live in San Antonio where I can get great guac at a ton of places. My problem with Sabor guac we had was it was super mild. Good, but bland. I asked him to spice it up with more chopped jalapeno and he decided I needed habanero salsa instead. That was super hot (to the point of being unpleasant, even for a guy who can eat super spicy food), but not what I wanted and asked for. Surprisingly, I found the tableside guac at Margaritaville in Cozumel to be the best on any of my cruise vacations.

Not knocking the Sabor experience though. I was hesitant to try it cuz we are spoiled here by good Mexican food, but it did not disappoint, and we ate a dinner and lunch there.

It was better than average, but then, I live in San Antonio where I can get great guac at a ton of places. My problem with Sabor guac we had was it was super mild. Good, but bland. I asked him to spice it up with more chopped jalapeno and he decided I needed habanero salsa instead. That was super hot (to the point of being unpleasant, even for a guy who can eat super spicy food), but not what I wanted and asked for. Surprisingly, I found the tableside guac at Margaritaville in Cozumel to be the best on any of my cruise vacations.

Not knocking the Sabor experience though. I was hesitant to try it cuz we are spoiled here by good Mexican food, but it did not disappoint, and we ate a dinner and lunch there.

Haven't made it to San Antonio yet, but definitely on the radar for the foodie experience. Living in the Great White North, finding a good Mexican place around my parts is slim pickings, so it is always a high priority when we head anywhere south. Good to know about Margaritaville, as I have always discounted it for true Mexican. Will definitely give their guac a try on my May Vegas trip. Thanks for the info!

Our waiter/guacamole maker was of East Indian descent as am I, and he gave it just the right degree of heat based on assumptions he made about me. LOL

We eat Tex Mex here in Texas, you won't find it anywhere else in the country...in fact we ate at Sabors when it first launched on Navigator and the guacamole was the hit of everything we tasted. And dessert was good. My FIL liked his fish, but the rest of us just couldn't get into the tacos, etc. Especially didn't like the mess of a Sangria...they put Tequila in it:(

But we are happily giving it a second chance on our upcoming Liberty since everyone says they are much better now.

We eat Tex Mex here in Texas, you won't find it anywhere else in the country...in fact we ate at Sabors when it first launched on Navigator and the guacamole was the hit of everything we tasted. And dessert was good. My FIL liked his fish, but the rest of us just couldn't get into the tacos, etc. Especially didn't like the mess of a Sangria...they put Tequila in it:(

But we are happily giving it a second chance on our upcoming Liberty since everyone says they are much better now.

We really enjoyed Sabor....We though the guacamole was really great and we asked for more jalapeños too. I sure wouldn't qualify the menu as Tex Mex but we really enjoyed it as it's something different on the ship. One thing we really enjoyed was the jalapeño, cucumber margaritas :D and they had plenty of tequila (where it belongs) :p

You are so right! Once you get some good Tex-Mex, "real" Mexican food is kind of a letdown. But don't be knockin' Tequila. Tequila is good in everything ... breakfast cereal, sandwiches, beans, burgers... :p

I had kind of the opposite experience. I, in 56 years had never eaten any guacamole, but my wife ordered it while we were at Sabor. She insisted I try it and since I wasn't, or had already paid for it, said "Ok" Yea it was good, I was suprised, but now should I never try it again because I will be disappointed?

Funny how many views this thread has gotten just from people trying to figure out what the heck the OP was talking about.

Eh, I understood it to be "guac". I looked at it because I love guacamole and wanted to read about it.

I had kind of the opposite experience. I, in 56 years had never eaten any guacamole, but my wife ordered it while we were at Sabor. She insisted I try it and since I wasn't, or had already paid for it, said "Ok" Yea it was good, I was suprised, but now should I never try it again because I will be disappointed?

To have gone 56 years years without guacamole...I would be currently on an All Guacamole All The Time diet. :)

You are so right! Once you get some good Tex-Mex, "real" Mexican food is kind of a letdown. But don't be knockin' Tequila. Tequila is good in everything ... breakfast cereal, sandwiches, beans, burgers... :p

Tequila is even better in a glass with nothing else.

Edited by davekathy

Bill....you have been deprived! Poor thing.

I am an absolute avocado nut...fruit!:p On most everything....sandwiches, salads, meats, toast and it is a zero calorie food which means you eat it and come out reducing calories consumed from the energy used to metabolize it. So I say, throw 'em on everything.

Guacamole will taste similar anywhere...here we just mash 'em up with a fork or potato masher, squirt some lime/lemon on and salt and pepper...some folks throw in a little chopped tomato and onion but makes no difference to me. I like McCormicks Lemon Pepper on it.

Personally, the best I ever ate was at Cozumel on Passion Island, (really just the northern tip of the island). They made it with tons of chopped onion and fresh lime. I think the key to it was the avocados, very fresh! MMMMMMMM:D

Your responses are making me have a serious case of Mexican food withdrawal. Vegas in May can't come soon enough. Farthest south I'll get before next year's Jan 2 cruise on Allure. :(

However, it does have two Mexican ports!!! Wooohooo!!!!!!

Edited by h-sar

Hmm, I'm 52, and have never had guacamole. We have a reservation for Sabor's in March - might have to try it.

I've also heard that the box of desserts is very good - by the description, I would likely not have ordered it.

is the price and the menu the same for lunch and dinner??

Yes, the menu and prices were the same. I've noticed other Oasis reviews with pics of the menu showing the $20 tasting menu, but that insert was not in the Christmas sailing menus. When I asked the waiter, he said it wasn't available. Maybe this is something they make unavailable over the Christmas/New Yrs sailings? Not a big deal as it would have saved us only $5 or so.