Coffee maker in suites

ETinCA

I don't care for flavored coffee but like the other variations you mention. Different strokes for different folks.

I think K-cups are horrible environmentally. (And yes, I am aware it is coming from someone that flies to a cruise ship.)

I agree with you about the k-cups. Right after we got our Keurig I went out and bought a re-usable k-cup for the machine. Now I just fill the k-cup with my favorite coffee and use it that way.

I also don't want to have to recycle a k-cup. That is an awful lot of work for something so small!

The Nespresso that is pictured in one of the above posts will make a full size cup of wonderful coffee. They have other machines that make single shot espresso, etc, but that is their coffee machine. I'm sure the one in the NL will still get use from people who want the Specialtly additions but if you are looking for a quick cup of good quality coffee, I think you will enjoy the Nespresso. JMO

The Nespresso that is pictured in one of the above posts will make a full size cup of wonderful coffee. They have other machines that make single shot espresso, etc, but that is their coffee machine. I'm sure the one in the NL will still get use from people who want the Specialtly additions but if you are looking for a quick cup of good quality coffee, I think you will enjoy the Nespresso. JMO

Now, that's good news. The thingy in the Suites Lounge on Oasis wouldn't make good coffee. Only the fru fur stuff.

I agree with you about the k-cups. Right after we got our Keurig I went out and bought a re-usable k-cup for the machine. Now I just fill the k-cup with my favorite coffee and use it that way.

I also don't want to have to recycle a k-cup. That is an awful lot of work for something so small!

Why would you worry about the environmental impact of K Cups? Just imagine the environmental impact of growing, importing, and brewing the coffee. Anyone truly concerned would be brewing up a nice batch of leaves and twigs over a horse manure fire.

Usually we have just had regular coffee pots in the PS cabins.

But in the spring of 2015 on the Zuiderdam, we did have the Nespresso machine.

2015%20Zuiderdam%20Ship%20pictures%20016_zpsxrmzrkoi.jpg

The model pictured is the Pixie -- I have one sitting on my countertop a few feet away.

I guess it depends on how you define a "full-size" cup of coffee. The Pixie makes either 1 to 1.5 ounce espresso "shots" or approximately 4 ounce "cups" of coffee. If you wanted to have something akin to what most people think of as a full cup, you'd probably need to use two pods for two 4 ounce pulls.

The machine does not make anything like latte, cappuccino etc as there is no milk frother. Just various strengths and flavors of coffee ranging from very robust Italian-type espresso to milder brews.

I find the coffee to be pretty good and the espresso is about the best I've found outside of getting one of the multi-thousand dollar machines....

Of the selection in Krazy Kruiser's photo, it looks like they have provided (left to right):

-- Livanto (an espresso, but not the most intense one)

--Voluto (another espresso, but milder than Livanto)

--Vivalto Lungo (a mild coffee, for the larger 4-oz pull)

--Indriya (a strong arabica espresso)

--Cosi (a mild espresso)

Any of these CAN be made for either the smaller or larger pull, as you prefer.

P.S. I've seen photos of the machine in Neptune Lounge. I have used a similar one on Swan Hellenic -- available to all, free, in their buffet area -- and while it makes serviceable lattes, cappuccinos, etc. I did not find it to be anything fabulous....

Just got off the Zuiderdam last week. We had an aft Neptume suite and there was no coffee maker. Sure would have been nice as it was a hike to the Neptune Lounge. It seems like a portable coffee maker and pods could be added to the suites in a matter of days. The Pinnacle Grill did offer French press coffee in the morning. I found the regular coffee so strong and bitter I diluted it with hot water, and I wasn't the only one :-) Side note... There was also no 55in TV in the cabin as have been added on the NA.

Edited by 81Zoomie

The machine in the NL makes a pretty good cup of straight coffee. I don't drink coffee any way but plain black, which it seems to handle well. At a lot of coffee shops, an Americano (half expresso/half water) seems to be a good medium strength cup to my taste. At home I use a small Krups grinder on beans for the next morning. Basic medium roast Columbian and I'm a happy camper. Never fails to get compliments from guests.

Just got off the Zuiderdam last week. We had an aft Neptume suite and there was no coffee maker. Sure would have been nice as it was a hike to the Neptune Lounge. It seems like a portable coffee maker and pods could be added to the suites in a matter of days. The Pinnacle Grill did offer French press coffee in the morning. I found the regular coffee so strong and bitter I diluted it with hot water, and I wasn't the only one :-) Side note... There was also no 55in TV in the cabin as have been added on the NA.

The big TVs will likely come in with the refit/redecoration at drydock. But the website implies that the coffee machines will be added in January. If you look at Neptune suite amenities on HAL's website, it says "Available January 2016." Not "starting" or "phasing in."

Edited to add:

On the page about the suite enhancements, it describes the redecoration, and in a side panel with the headling "COMING JAN 2016!" It says "Starting January 2016, all suites will..." and it lists the coffee machine, bose dock, etc. So, typical HAL, one webpage says one thing and a different page says it differently.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I was able to have a full cup of coffee on my Nespresso machine on NCL. I did not want espresso and had a choice of 'coffee'.

Sail, I am pretty sure it was NOT a Nespresso machine you had on the Dawn. It would have been Lavazza with the Lavazza coffee. NCL currently has the Nespresso only on the new Escape that was introduced in November. Many long time NCL cruisers have commented they are not impressed with the Nespresso machines. I cannot comment since I have used the Nespresso but love the Lavazzo machines in my NCL suite.

https://vimeo.com/151308110

Now I also having been using Keurig at home for at least 8 years and it is very true about finding the right coffee. I have it narrowed down to 4 different ones I used and actually one of them is the Lavazza for Keurig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a regular coffee maker, a Keurig, and a Nespresso. We use the regular coffee maker during the week as it can be set to turn on and brew a pot early in the morning. The Keurig is used mostly on the weekends or holidays when Mrs K doesn't have to get up early but I still do. She also likes flavored coffees and I don't so the Keurig works well for that. The Nespresso is because we both like cappuccino but not the Keurig version. We've had a small Nespresso-like machine on one Med cruise with Silversea and it came in handy for that very first cup of coffee to get Mrs K "kickstarted" before room service shows up. Wouldn't mind having one in a Neptune suite just because I wouldn't have to get decent enough to plod down to the NL for that first cup.

• 2 months later...
The coffee machines are just starting to be added to the cabins this month. Not all ships will get them at the same time. It will be done over a period of about 16 months.

Many of us are waiting to hear about the machines.

We did not have one in our Neptune Suite (Eurodam) at end of January, shortly after dry-dock refurbishment. :confused: Fortunately, Neptune Lounge still has it's wonderful machine. Did not inquire about not having one en-suite

N Ray H

Not K-cups, it's "Mo Coffee." I don't think they're compatible with k-cups.

http://www.mocoffee.com/en/home-mocoffee.php?

Note the HAL logo used on the mocoffee website.

Just got off of Westerdam today. That was the system we had. Only ours was black. Was not impressed. Used it once. Wife liked the machine in the Neptune Lounge. I thought both were a waste. I preferred the coffee in the Lido.

Just got off of Westerdam today. That was the system we had. Only ours was black. Was not impressed. Used it once. Wife liked the machine in the Neptune Lounge. I thought both were a waste. I preferred the coffee in the Lido.

Machines a are on the Westerdam? Excellent :)

We'll give them a try

I have to admit the Coffee maker in the Suite will probably be the only reason I will reconsider doing a Neptune again and now changes my thinking of what I may book in the future. In all honesty I was never that impressed with the coffee in the Neptune and to have to get dressed and look presentable to get descent coffee was not my idea of a relaxing morning. personally I think the Lido coffee was undrinkable :( Having the Neptune Lounge it self did absolutely nothing for me. If I need the concierge I can call them. I also seldom go to the Pinnacle for Breakfast except on debarkation morning. The coffee maker in the Suite is one of the main reasons I love NCL but then I also really like the Lavazza coffee and coffee maker they have on most of their ships but the newest one went to Nespresso (unknown how that compares with Lavazza). One of my favorite coffees for my Keurig is Lavazza which is a very good Italian Medium to Dark Roast like on NCL.

We are currently in a Vista Suite for the Koningsdam and wished now I would have sprang for the Neptune. I will most likely jump if there is an upsell offer :D Although I would miss the aft view I currently have my morning coffee is important ;)

I have to admit the Coffee maker in the Suite will probably be the only reason I will reconsider doing a Neptune again and now changes my thinking of what I may book in the future. In all honesty I was never that impressed with the coffee in the Neptune and to have to get dressed and look presentable to get descent coffee was not my idea of a relaxing morning. personally I think the Lido coffee was undrinkable :( Having the Neptune Lounge it self did absolutely nothing for me. If I need the concierge I can call them. I also seldom go to the Pinnacle for Breakfast except on debarkation morning. The coffee maker in the Suite is one of the main reasons I love NCL but then I also really like the Lavazza coffee and coffee maker they have on most of their ships but the newest one went to Nespresso (unknown how that compares with Lavazza). One of my favorite coffees for my Keurig is Lavazza which is a very good Italian Medium to Dark Roast like on NCL.

We are currently in a Vista Suite for the Koningsdam and wished now I would have sprang for the Neptune. I will most likely jump if there is an upsell offer :D Although I would miss the aft view I currently have my morning coffee is important ;)

I don't care for the Lido coffee either Lisa.

I'll report how the coffee is in the room on our roll call's live thread.

I do use the Neptune for coffee but I hear you on having to look presentable to do it.

DH is hoping it is good coffee. His tastes and mine aren't the same so you will get two opinions ;)

Edited by kazu

I don't care for the Lido coffee either Lisa.

I'll report how the coffee is in the room on our roll call's live thread.

I do use the Neptune for coffee but I hear you on having to look presentable to do it.

DH is hoping it is good coffee. His tastes and mine aren't the same so you will get two opinions ;)

In 8 days we board the Oosterdam for a transatlantic. Lots of days to get acquainted with the new coffee machine. Having it in the cabin though doesn't mean I won't be making my own in the lounge. But first thing in the morning and not having to get dressed; that's an A+ for me.

Usually we have just had regular coffee pots in the PS cabins.

But in the spring of 2015 on the Zuiderdam, we did have the Nespresso machine.

2015%20Zuiderdam%20Ship%20pictures%20016_zpsxrmzrkoi.jpg

We were on the Zuiderdam last month and they replaced the Nespresso machines with MoCoffee by the same inventor of the Nespresso--Eric Favre of Switzerland. We like this much better than the Nespresso we have at home, but at least they got rid of the Mr. Coffee.they had in the Penthourse (PS7045) for four straight years. We will be in the Westerdam PS in a few short weeks and I hope they also have the MoCoffee machine. There was a choice of three coffees, but we could order more.

I undersrtand they are also served in First Class of some long range European airlines.

Ken