Paris and London

cruiserjanet

This is a long way off but we sort of want to get an idea of what to expect. We have booked the British Isles cruise for next year (June) and are planning on spending a few days in Paris and a few days in London pre-cruise. So we don't stand out too much as tourists, what should we wear and what should we absolutely avoid wearing? I'm talking about head to toe, including jewelry. I tend to wear a t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes and my wedding and engagement rings. DH wears a baseball cap, nice shorts (if the weather is good), t-shirt and tennis shoes. (We plan to do a lot of walking.) Is it okay to have my DSL camera with me? Also, as far as money or credit cards, how should we carry them on us? We have never been to Europe before.

This is a long way off but we sort of want to get an idea of what to expect. We have booked the British Isles cruise for next year (June) and are planning on spending a few days in Paris and a few days in London pre-cruise. So we don't stand out too much as tourists, what should we wear and what should we absolutely avoid wearing? I'm talking about head to toe, including jewelry. I tend to wear a t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes and my wedding and engagement rings. DH wears a baseball cap, nice shorts (if the weather is good), t-shirt and tennis shoes. (We plan to do a lot of walking.) Is it okay to have my DSL camera with me? Also, as far as money or credit cards, how should we carry them on us? We have never been to Europe before.

Don't worry too much about it.

No matter how hard you try, you're still going to stick out as a tourist.

Just as you can spot a tourist to Cali

Credit cards and cash

Don't convert at home and carry British pounds for GB and Euros for Paris.

When you get off the plane, find the first ATM and get the new cash. Saves on foreign transaction fees.

I carry my cards and passport in an RFID sleeve. Check Amazon.com

Edited by klfrodo

The outfits you describe would make you stand out as tourists in these cities, but who cares? If that's what you're comfortable in, then wear them! Many tourists do wear exactly that and I doubt anyone would mock you or refuse to do business with you. You might find the weather a tad cool to wear just shorts and t-shirts, though; it's unlikely to be hot enough in either city in June. Jeans and sweaters/jackets will work. As for your camera and money, get a sturdy purse and keep it closed when not in use. Your husband should keep his wallet in his front pocket. Be aware of your surroundings in the subway and museums, and you'll be fine.

White sneakers are a dead give away that you are from the US. Here is a short article giving a few pointers: http://golondon.about.com/od/planningyourtrip/ss/How-To-Not-Look-Like-a-Tourist-in-London.htm

I am assuming you are booking travel for warm weather given the descriptions of your planned clothing. I have spent weeks in London and you will enjoy yourseld. FYI, London is packed with tourists year-round, so there really isn't a tourist season. The basics of foreign travel, and you seem to be starting off right with your post here, is to politely ask for assistance.

Have only been to Paris once so I cannot add anything here.

Do not worry about looking like tourists, because the way you walk, talk, dress, look confused, etc. will give you away :). But you will be among lots of other tourists so just enjoy the opportunity to be in such fantastic places and do not hesitate to ask locals/others for help if you get lost or confused. Just remember that you are in large cities and should use common sense like in any other city. As to the best way to dress, our best advice (based on over forty years of extensive world travel) is to just dress for the weather and wear comfy shoes/clothes. And contrary to what some may say, jeans are very "in" throughout Europe so this is always an option (especially during daytime).

Regarding Paris, on our last couple of visits (we have rented apartments in the city) we have noticed a tremendous change in attitude of many Parisians. Many years ago there seemed to be an underlying anti-American attitude (although some French argued that Parisians had an anti anybody who was not a Parisian attitude) but this seems to have pretty much disappeared. On our last visit (when we rented an apartment in St Germain des Pres) every Parisian we met went out of their way to be helpful and welcoming. This was particularly true in the local restaurants where we were often given tables in good locations...and staff patiently put up with our awful French or did their best to converse in English.

For both Paris and London, it is relatively easy to move around the city on your own if you have a decent tour book (we like the Rick Steves series). And if you have a Smart Phone that is enabled in Europe this can also be very helpful as a constant guide and GPS. There are many good apps for both cities that can be worth their weight in gold when it comes to using buses and the metro...as well as just walking.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I would agree that you might want jeans as an alternative to shorts in London in the event the weather is cooler. And I'd have something rainproof with me, either a light jacket or, I have a cagoule that packs into a small bag, or even have one of those thin plastic ponchos handy just in case.

As for jewellery, rings, camera etc wandering around London is just like being in many US cities. We used to live in Denver and have spent time in Philadelphia where our son lived and so just take the same care you would anywhere.

Hope that helps

Beth

If you really want to blend in in Paris and London, you need to wear what you would wear in a large American/Canadian city where many people are dressed for work ... and it's not shorts and baseball caps.

Long pants, skirts, a nice t-shirt/shirt, preferably no white sneakers unless they color coordinate with your outfit. I avoid white pants because they look grungy after a few rides on the subway. Whenever I use public transportation, I never ever wear shorts because I don't want my skin to touch the seat. I also wear little jewelry because I am afraid I will forget it in the hotel. One less thing to worry about.

Watch your camera, your pocketbook and yourself in crowded areas.

I live in London. My husband wears shorts from about May-October, and he certainly isn't the only one. If you're from somewhere hot you may find it too cool for shorts in June, but it's almost always warm on the tube and many buildings don't have the arctic air conditioning you may be used to, so definitely bring layers that are easy to take on and off.

A light waterproof jacket will be better than an umbrella - you won't win many friends walking round central London with an umbrella!

Wear what you're comfy in, and please don't worry about looking like a tourist - people in London and Paris are from all over the world, and dress and behave accordingly.

I hope you have a wonderful time, London and Paris are both great cities to visit (I may be British ans live in London but I still consider myself something of a tourist having only been here for 4 years!).

I don't think it is possible to not look like a tourist, and I don't think it matters much in itself. You will be mostly in tourist places with a load of other tourists. If you plan to carry orienting materials like maps and guide books, forget it.

What matters is not looking like a complete disoriented tourist. Be aware of your surroundings and who is near. They may be thieves and have spotted you regardless of your attempt to be not touristy.

Referring to the article link posted above, I would never even think of wearing sports team shirts in England. Very dangerous indeed.

Cover up, dark clothing, upscale jeans, scarves. No whites or tropicals. Parisians look great. Be especially careful on subways for pickpockets. Wear a moneybelt underneath pants, no expensive cameras.I had all the zippers on backpack opened, Luckily no $ in pack. Caught a guy with his hand in my front jeans pocket.Been groped. All in Paris.

A few additional thoughts on safety. I always carry camera and a man purse slung cross wise and held in front. The purse/bag contains minimal cash and credit card.

Pick pockets work in crowds. Whenever somebody blocks your way in front and somebody else bumps you from behind, you are already in trouble. Twist, turn, exit immediately. In crowds, always look around to see who may be watching you, especially if there is luggage. Don't be shy in telling anybody who approaches to back off. Pick pockets in Europe are not generally violent. They want what they can grab without physical harm. (it's another matter in South America).

I just want to emphasize that looking like a tourist is not a big deal. Looking like a tourist easy mark is.

"I tend to wear a t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes and my wedding and engagement rings. DH wears a baseball cap, nice shorts (if the weather is good), t-shirt and tennis shoes. "

Regardless of being a tourist or being at home, I would never wear what you have indicated you plan to wear to London and Paris. Do you plan to attend the theatre whilst in London or Paris? In t-shirts and wearing a baseball cap?What you have indicated as your attire is not generally worn in a major, cosmopolitan city. LA is not a major cosmopolitan city. Having the Golden Globe awards and Ricky Gervais does not make a cosmopolitan city.

Certainly you can wear whatever you want, but since you asked for opinions, here is mine. I have spent considerable time in both London and Paris and you would never see a Parisian woman dressed as you describe. Unless the temps in town are outrageously high, no shorts. And even then, NO! Besides, cities are usually dirty so why would you want to expose your skin to this? Also, unless you are under age 30, no man should wear a baseball cap. They look ridiculous on old men. Slacks, Dockers, etc. are the cure-all for travelling around the world. They look good, can be worn at many venues, and protect your skin from the seats on the tube and the Metro.

So, go forth and enjoy these two wonderful cities- theaters, museums, rides on the Seine and the Thames, . Both cities lend themselves very nicely to just walking around and seeing where the next turn leads you.

Bon voyage and ta-ta.

The outfits you describe would make you stand out as tourists in these cities, but who cares? If that's what you're comfortable in, then wear them! Many tourists do wear exactly that and I doubt anyone would mock you or refuse to do business with you. You might find the weather a tad cool to wear just shorts and t-shirts, though; it's unlikely to be hot enough in either city in June. Jeans and sweaters/jackets will work. As for your camera and money, get a sturdy purse and keep it closed when not in use. Your husband should keep his wallet in his front pocket. Be aware of your surroundings in the subway and museums, and you'll be fine.

Agree ... outfits will make you standout as a tourist for sure.

We have been traveling to Europe... Paris mostly, but have done London, Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Istanbul.... the Baltics...on our own. Usually in spring or fall... in June you can hit a heat wave or find summer has not arrived yet. We usually wear slacks, good walking shoes other than tennis, have both a light weight jacket and other options so we can layer.

We prefer to get euros or BP or other currency before leaving home and then get more as we go... we don't carry too many valuables with us, what we don't need we lock in a hotel safe... we tend to stay at hotels like a Hilton or Hyatt, Marriott vs small European hotels.

If possible avoid using a purse... try to keep money and other valuables hidden under clothing ... new digital cameras are very small - can fit in a pocket.

Avoid strangers who try to engage you, agree be aware of your surroundings like you would in any American big city. We try to avoid crowded tourist areas as well. We love to explore cities on our own, off the beaten track. It is possible to do 1/2 day tours in big cities to get the lay of the land and then explore more on your own.

Hope you have a great time... been traveling to Europe for many years, we have been lucky never lost anything... but have known folks have been targeted.

I live a short journey from London and go a couple of times per month. Even last week the place was heaving with tourists, more tourists than locals around the attractions. The baseball cap, camera hung around neck and a man carrying a bag which looks as if he has all his money in it are give always.

Watch for pickpockets on the underground, (subway) people offering you a flower, trick card games and recently a couple of cartoon dressed characters who pose for photos and then ask for money. Paris has the Gypsies offering flowers too, usually they work in pairs.

You will be fine, lots of Police around too.

Edited by moniquet

I wouldn't worry about looking like a tourist in London. For one thing, the majority of people in the touristy bits of London are tourists; for another, if you are worried about pickpockets, it's a bit irrelevant what you look like because Londoners carry money as well. Bear in mind that you don't need to carry a passport or any other official i.d.

As for baseball caps, they're fine. Even if you're an old old man of 31 or more, they're still good for keeping the sun out of your eyes. On the rare occasions when it's shining!

If you MUST wear shorts, please, please please, do not wear socks!

Especially with sandals :). Nothing much dorkier then sandals with white socks :). With sneakers (Trainers for you Brits) low cut white socks are OK. In Italy (where we spend a lot of time) I do not even wear socks with shoes :).

Hank

I have to chuckle whe I read threads like these. I have seen tons of folks in Europe wearing white tennis shoes and most of them were NOT speaking English. And many men from around the world wear socks with sandals. We lived in Hawaii for 11 years and saw it all the time.

I would say that Europeans tend to dress a bit more formally - except for the young people.

So unless you dress in an extremely eccentric way, no one will know or care where you are from.

The entire issue of socks with sandals was invented by people who have drab, wretched lives, and are struggling to find someone to look down on. Their wives may have left them, their children hate them, their house has fallen down, and they've just been arrested, but they're still better off than the man who wears socks with sandals. :p

But seriously, to all of you who think that socks with sandals is the worst possible outfit you can wear - why? (And "because everyone else says so" is not an answer.) IMO, most 50 year old feet are not so pretty that they must be put on show at all costs - many 25 year old feet aren't, for that matter. So why the abuse?