Oil about $30 per barrel will cruise prices go down?

Hflors

Now that the Oil prices are about $30.00 per barrel do you think the cruise prices will drop? What does everyone think?

Unlikely. They hedge their fuel costs however far in advance. Just because we can get immediate benefit on our next tank of gas doesn't mean that's how it works for their fuel

I wouldn't count on any fuel refunds. :)

A few minutes ago, one financial talking head suggested oil could be headed to as low as $10 per barrel. :eek: I can't imagine the financial nightmare if that happens. Certainly many jobs lost. Maybe then the cruise lines will lower fares? :)

In fairness to HAL, in all the years when oil prices jumped to high cost, DH and I never paid a fuel surcharge.

Edited by sail7seas

Don't expect it will for us as our dollar is going down with the commodity prices.

Qantas, the Australian airline, have just posted a huge profit after years of struggling; the prime reason being the drop in fuel prices.

I expect Carnival will be happy to take the profit.

On the other hand if too many people stop travelling, through concerns of terrorism, or economic caution, they may have to drop prices.

We are still cruising in Europe in May but the current exchange rate makes eg a glass of wine aboard about double what we would pay here. I think we will be having more water than usual.

I would not expect any fare drops, and I would prefer any extra profit they make go into hiring more MDR staff, or just saving it to delay fare increases when oil invariably rises once again.

Or start returning some of the things that have been cut back while the price of oil was higher, but the fares did not increase enough to compensate.

One thing they could start with is a better grade of beef at dinner. And upgrade the menus to something more akin to what they used to be.

A few minutes ago, one financial talking head suggested oil could be headed to as low as $10 per barrel. :eek: I can't imagine the financial nightmare if that happens. Certainly many jobs lost. Maybe then the cruise lines will lower fares? :)

In fairness to HAL, in all the years when oil prices jumped to high cost, DH and I never paid a fuel surcharge.

Hi Sails!!!!!!

How is your day going?

We agree with you 100% we never have paid a fuel surcharge.

My husband and I were watching CNN this am and I mentioned " I bet someone will chime in on this topic!"

Enjoy your evening !

Denise :)

We were charged a fuel surcharge by HAL. :mad: Granted it was many years ago on one of our earliest cruises. But they did hit us with one. Since my DW says I save everything I could probably find the paperwork if I really had the energy to. :D

Don't get me wrong, we love HAL but business is business. And like the local gas stations, they prices go up way faster than they go down.

Dan

added: Here's a link I found where they mention all the lines were stopping the fuel surcharges in 2009 and HAL is listed as one:

http://bestfares.com/news-newsID1439-Cruise_Lines_End_Fuel_Surcharges.html

Edited by dogo88
add link

We were charged a fuel surcharge by HAL.

>SNIP<

added: Here's a link I found where they mention all the lines were stopping the fuel surcharges in 2009 and HAL is listed as one:

http://bestfares.com/news-newsID1439-Cruise_Lines_End_Fuel_Surcharges.html

We paid fuel surcharge for both cruises we took in 2008. I think most people did.

Now that the Oil prices are about $30.00 per barrel do you think the cruise prices will drop? What does everyone think?

Marine bunker prices in general are far less volatile than either crude or gasoline prices. As another poster noted, the cruise lines buy derivatives, like futures, on fuel, which slows the swings even more. Bunker prices are on the way up, starting this past week, due to increased demand, from more shipping moving as the economy expands. Finally, as of 1 January last year, all ships operating within 200 miles of the North American continent, as well as the outer areas of the US (Hawaii, USVI, PR) must burn marine diesel fuel, rather than residual fuel oil. While diesel fuel has dropped in price this past year, it is still twice as expensive as residual fuel.

Do you think airline prices will go down, since jet fuel is less expensive as well?

Edited by chengkp75

Looking forward to $10 a gallon gas and a stock market adjustment to invest more. Financial market have been over inflated for a while now and just like the population, we can't sustain it.

Edited by Tripper10

Don't expect it will for us as our dollar is going down with the commodity prices.

Qantas, the Australian airline, have just posted a huge profit after years of struggling; the prime reason being the drop in fuel prices.

I expect Carnival will be happy to take the profit.

On the other hand if too many people stop travelling, through concerns of terrorism, or economic caution, they may have to drop prices.

We are still cruising in Europe in May but the current exchange rate makes eg a glass of wine aboard about double what we would pay here. I think we will be having more water than usual.

Yes we are the same. We are cruising the Med in May on the Eurodam, and as the Aussie dollar is only at about 69c compared to the US dollar, we are behind all the way. Less drinks, less excursions, less all round spending on board ship

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it will cause cruise prices to go up.

The average person will now have more disposable income as fuel prices for their cars, home heating, and for bigger things such as food and other consumable deliveries drop.

More money in the pocket of the average consumer creates a broader market of people willing and able to pay for luxuries (vacations). Therefore supply (ship cabins) remains constant, but demand increases. So not only will they not have to discount, but this is why you are seeing average prices rising on luxury items.

I think it will cause cruise prices to go up.

The average person will now have more disposable income as fuel prices for their cars, home heating, and for bigger things such as food and other consumable deliveries drop.

More money in the pocket of the average consumer creates a broader market of people willing and able to pay for luxuries (vacations). Therefore supply (ship cabins) remains constant, but demand increases. So not only will they not have to discount, but this is why you are seeing average prices rising on luxury items.

huh??? Lower gas prices do not equal more money in your pocket. It depends upon the country you are in and if you are a commodity valued country. If you are the value of your dollar plummets and the cost of cruises or other luxury items goes up. We are suffering drastically from the decrease in our dollar and even groceries are sky rocketing. I don't see luxuries in our future and I doubt many Canadians (or others in countries so affected) do either unless they are independently wealthy.

Just my opinion though.

huh??? Lower gas prices do not equal more money in your pocket. It depends upon the country you are in and if you are a commodity valued country. If you are the value of your dollar plummets and the cost of cruises or other luxury items goes up. We are suffering drastically from the decrease in our dollar and even groceries are sky rocketing. I don't see luxuries in our future and I doubt many Canadians (or others in countries so affected) do either unless they are independently wealthy.

Just my opinion though.

I don't live in Canada.

Low oil prices and low CAD dollar for us means that USD cruises and travel to the US are not a consideration. Our Aussie travel friends are doing the same.

This winter it will SE Asia again, next winter(our dollar is still expected to be weak) it is tentatively South America. There are lots of alternatives for those willing to seek them out. May even cash out our USD bank account to take advantage of the currency gain.

We simply need to be a little more creative in where we travel. Spend a little bit more on air to save a whole lot on the rest of the trip.

Our neighbours in ND are not doing very well either. Lots of bankruptcies and more on the way.

Edited by iancal