First time cruiser, flight mistake/ FLL hotels?

geegeewhiz

Hi all, I'm so glad I found this first timer forum! My family and I are going on our first cruise in April with RCL; I was trying to find great flight deals, so I booked round trip departing with Jet Blue and returning with Spirit. When I told my mom that I found a great deal, she informed me that Spirit charges more for carry on than checked luggage (??) now I'm panicking, because how am I supposed to pack for 2 kids (4 and 6) and 2 adults without paying so much money? I am so upset that I did not look into Spirit before I booked. I also planned on bringing back many souvenirs from the islands, I guess I cant now :mad:. Can anyone explain to me exactly how Spirit works? Is it worth even bringing on a carry-on??

Also, what are the best hotels to stay at the night before in the fort lauderdale area that is close to the port? I feel like i'm going to end up spending a fortune because of my lack of investigation :(...

You can't book a roundtrip, departing on JetBlue and returning on Spirit. These are two separate and unrelated airlines. You must have booked two one way tickets.

Did you book your Spirit flights on their webpage? They make it pretty clear that they charge extra for almost everything. She's right; a carryon costs more then a checked bag. And, if you didn't prepay baggage fees at the same time you booked your flight, it will now cost you more. If you wait until you do online check in price goes up again, and it's even more if you wait until you get to the airport. And, unlike most airlines, they'll even charge you to check a bag at the gate - a whopping $100!

A link to baggage charges here (fees you would pay are in the grey column):

https://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices

JetBlue also has checked bag fees for most fares:

http://www.jetblue.com/travel/baggage/

Honestly, there is really nothing wonderful to buy in the Caribbean. Bring back some pictures and memories of your trip. Cheaper and you don't have to dust them.

Go to the Florida forums and read threads about hotels:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I read your other threads. Make sure your cruise ticket matches the name on your passport. Make sure the name on the plane ticket also is correct.

Have a great first cruise.

Edited by 6rugrats

Do you have non-refundable tickets or ones with a large cancellation fee? If so, you will use those tickets. Any slight savings by using another airline will be more than outweighed by the loss on the existing tickets. No point making yourself miserable about it. Just learn the lesson for the future.

With our hotel we picked a Hampton Inn near the airport...there is a small shopping center across the street from it. Free airport shuttle and shuttle to cruise port is 6 dollars pp. We weren't looking for anything fancy..we paid around 130 for the night..our trip is in June.

We are flying America...not my first choice but carry on is free and the first checked bag is cheap too. And we paid extra to pick whatever seats we wanted because I have to sit on a certain area on the plane.

Did you book this from a third party place?

like expedia or travelocity>?

More then likely the tickets are not refundable.

What is the cost of the 4 tickets - and is it worth it just to take the loss and get 4 seats elsewhere.

Buyer beware-- if its too cheap then its too good to be true.

Most airlines charge for checked bags- which for 4 bags will be 100. each way

I am hoping that you booked the flight late enough to be able to catch the flight-- booking something before 11 you will not be flying that flight

Breathe.

My advice is do NOT bring any carry ons...just have everyone bring a personal item{FREE} (dimensions must not exceed 17 x 13 x 8 inches (43 x 33 x 20 cm) including handles and wheels). These are mostly for documents, valuables, snacks & goodies to keep the kiddos occupied. I'd toss the kiddos swimsuits in as well. Watch your dimensions...they tend to be fussy about those. You will appreciate NOT having larger carry ons to lug around! (DH LOVES SWA as we just check everything...on other lines I make him take a carry on s we don't have to pay luggage fees...)

The good news...warm weather clothing takes up little space, as does little kiddo clothing! (Rolling clothing also allows you to pack more; and avoid wrinkles if you roll carefully)

Also, you change clothing a lot on a cruise, so you don't need 7 shorts, 7 tees, 7 nights of dinner wear.

I take 2 pair of dark shorts since I really just slip those on with a tee for breakfast...then 1 swimsuit & cover up (if it is damp, who cares? sun will dry it in minutes)...then capris (2 or 3 dark pair for week) & top that I can wear around the ship & to dinner most nights. I bring 1 pair of dressy slacks or skirt & 2 tops. Flip flops, dressy shoes & walking shoes are all I need. There is always hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, lotion & soap in the room. Even if it is not my favorite, it is fine for a week.

I have done a 5 day cruise with a carry on & backpack & did fine!

I agree...little to buy in Caribbean. Do you want to pay MORE for luggage just to bring STUFF back...double savings by not shopping.

I hotwire most of our hotels in FLL. (use better bidding.com to narrow your choices) Embassy Suites is great, but Hyatt Place right next door is usually cheaper & also has sort of an extra area (pull out sofa). This time we are at the nearby Extended Stay America via Hotwire as it was cheaper ($180--expect to pay around $200 the night before) & gets good reviews. Sign up for the cruise shuttle at your hotel as soon as you check in. I like all these as they are on 17th street where there is a grocery store (DH is a Mountain Dew man, & since cruises are Coke land, we need to pick some up...& they have 8 packs, perfect!), restaurants & very close to the port.

We also stayed further out at an airport hotel (Courtyard?)...the shuttle was fine (and the same price) BUT there was no nearby d

Hi - welcome to Cruise Critic.

This is the time to ask family/friends if they have a large, lightweight suitcase that you can borrow to maximize your packing. (We just purchased a large bag that weighs under 9 pounds to replace one that weighed about 14 pounds. The airline that we fly allows 50 pounds, so we can now pack 5 more pounds of clothes.)

My DH carries his heavy sneakers in his personal carry-on bag - leaves more room in the suitcase for clothes.

If one your personal carry-on bags zips-up or closes securely, when you get to the dock you can give that one to the Porters along with your larger bags. Then you will have less to carry around on the ship until your cabin is available (unless you are sailing one of the lines where the staterooms are available as soon as you check in.)

Heed the good advice in that you don't need 7 of everything - you will figure out how to pack it all. :)

Hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise.

P.S. - you can still buy a lot of souvenirs, you just can't bring them back in your luggage if you don't want to be over the weight limit. (We learned this very expensive lesson on our first cruise.) You can research to find out if there are any "Pack and Ship" locations or Post Offices near the port or the airport - just allow enough time for the extra stop.

Edited by MarKay525

Spirit does in fact suck. Carry ons are $25 per bag & checked luggage is another price. Not all bags are carry ons. They do allow "personal" items. They are more talking about the wheeled carry ons that take up the overhead bins. Measure carefully. Watch their insulting video cartoon on their website. It talks about wearing lots of layers to cut down on packing.

The other problem with Spirit is their weight limit is only 40 lbs per person. Every other airline it's 50 lbs which makes it tough with a cruise.

As somebody else pointed make sure you purchase your bag fees in advance. About a week before the flight they start to go up & can top $100 per bag at the AP.

Did you book this from a third party place?

like expedia or travelocity>?

-yes thru cheaptickets

What is the cost of the 4 tickets - and is it worth it just to take the loss and get 4 seats elsewhere.

-$850 for 4 ppl- departing on jet blue, returning on spirit. everything else was $1300-$1500

I am hoping that you booked the flight late enough to be able to catch the flight-- booking something before 11 you will not be flying that flight

cruise is on the 10th, flying in on the 9th on the 7 pm. returning on the 4 pm flight same day debarkation, hope this is ok

My mom flys spirit often and will ship her bags home on UPS. She says its cheaper. It takes a few days to get her bags back but she says its cheaper than what spirit charges.

They do charge for everything.

Just thought I'd mention another option.

-Sean

You will be fine - i fly spirit at least once a month. I have a backpack with wheels. I stuff it full. I carry it on for free. Normally, on other airlines the free carry on can be smallest suitcase in a luggage set. Spirit will charge for this size, but a backpack or smaller is just fine.

Edited by #1TravelMom

Hi all, I'm so glad I found this first timer forum! My family and I are going on our first cruise in April with RCL; I was trying to find great flight deals, so I booked round trip departing with Jet Blue and returning with Spirit. When I told my mom that I found a great deal, she informed me that Spirit charges more for carry on than checked luggage (??) now I'm panicking, because how am I supposed to pack for 2 kids (4 and 6) and 2 adults without paying so much money? I am so upset that I did not look into Spirit before I booked. I also planned on bringing back many souvenirs from the islands, I guess I cant now :mad:. Can anyone explain to me exactly how Spirit works? Is it worth even bringing on a carry-on??

Also, what are the best hotels to stay at the night before in the fort lauderdale area that is close to the port? I feel like i'm going to end up spending a fortune because of my lack of investigation :(...

This is my personal take on this.

First, take a deep breath.

Second, lets explore your options.

Jet Blue allows both a 22"x14"x9" carry on and a 17"x13"x8" plus one for each passenger of any weight. I am fairly certain you can manage to pack enough in that much space x 4 persons if you are careful what you pack. If necessary, jet blue lets you check one bag under 50 pounds for $20. Quite reasonable.

Your challenge is going to be Spirit Air's 12"x16"x14" carry on limit. I know of many options for overcoming this challenge.

The option I'd go for: Pack each person a 16"x12"x9" carry on because this can be counted as your 1 carry on per person for Jet Blue and Spirit. Pack those as tightly full as possible. Choose a second bag that folds down as small as you can for the second bag for each person. Make it as close to 17"x13"x8" as possible.

Now, close examination of Spirit's policies is called for. I see coats hats and wraps are allowed for free.

I'd probably just go to the nearest charity shop, buy a cheap heavily quilted winter coat, remove all the stuffing, and with the use of a bit of velcro and scraps use the cavities to pack all the remaining clothing.

You don't even need to know how to sew. I just bought a skirt and coat at the charity resale and fabric glue and velcro at the discount store. I made the cuts to remove the stuffing on the inside of the coat about half an inch down from the top of each quilted section and removed all the stuffing. Then I washed it and the skirt well and hung to dry. When dry, I glued a flap of fabric cut from the skirt to the top above each cut. I put velcro on the flap and below each cut. Empty it didn't take up much space at all and I just packed it on my outbound trip.

I may :rolleyes: have actually done this last summer. They kind of eyed me oddly but didn't say one word to me about my choice of a puffy winter jacket on a flight to Texas in August. I never even put it on. Just carried it over my arm. You can probably get away with a coat for each adult, but be sure to try it out before you go.

If you don't feel up to the subterfuge, someone sells actual luggage designed to be worn as a coat or folding into a sort of messenger bag for exactly this purpose. If you are in need of new luggage, this might be the option for you.

Lastly, you can certainly just ship the excess back. Just take look in google maps along your route to the airport post cruise. There is bound to be something not far out of your way such as a Post Office, UPS office, mail box center, or copy shop that also accepts packages. Once you know what's nearby you can check out their prices. Is it cheaper than the $25 Spirit will charge you for up to a 50 pound checked bag? Also keep in mind I think if you join their $9 club you get an even lower price on that checked 50 pounds

cruise is on the 10th, flying in on the 9th on the 7 pm. returning on the 4 pm flight same day debarkation, hope this is ok

The times are fine. Spirit as explained will be a bit of a headache. Pack carefully but otherwise you should be just fine.

Because you have a late flight, shipping the excess back home may be an option if you can find a shipping center open on Sunday.

Edited by trish1c

If you are looking to save money on the hotel in order to offset the extra baggage fees, check out the Rodeway Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port hotel. They off a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise port. It's certainly not a 5 star hotel, so you won't be staying in luxury, but you will save money on transpiration for the four of you.

Good luck, and enjoy your vacation.

OP- you realize that Labadee is a walled off resort? A thread with good information about this port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221823

yes I am aware that I can't venture off into the rest of the island, I just wanted to go to a port that is a part of my country. also I wanted to see the souvenirs, they remind me of the little gifts my grandmother used to bring from haiti for me (she had passed away, so they're hard to come by)

Hollowing out a coat and using it for packing is a new one for me.

Like watching a train wreck, I had to keep reading. Then I started blinking like I was a lemming. I can't imagine the work that was involved and the effort put out for $30 for a suitcase charge. You paid for gas to get to the store, you paid for the item, you put how much of your time into doing this and then washing, drying, sewing, gluing this coat just so you could use it for a suitcase. How many bets this "coat" took up much more room than any suitcase would have.

Maybe instead of going to so much work, you could simply wear all your clothing on the plane. No luggage needed.

Basic rule of cheap travel is to wear all your heavy stuff. Years ago I did a climbing expedition to Peru. Left out of DC in mid August wearing heavy down jackets and over pants, expedition boots, etc. Carried our climbing packs with ice ax, ropes, other basic gear. Avoided one duffle bag per person that way.

I wouldn't bother to travel or cruise if I had to go to Goodwill to buy a second hand coat that I then stuffed with my clothes. :rolleyes:

Roz

Can't blame you there. It was a last minute unexpected trip due to one of my relatives finding out they had brain tumors. As with most last minute must go now trips, everything was coming up $$$. By the time I realized the whole luggage deal with Spirit, I was just tired of dealing with it all. I actually just needed the coat for a few items I really needed and couldn't quite cram in my allowed carry on. If I'd had time, I would have just bought a ScotVest because I've kind of wanted one for work.

That coat has since been used by several friends to avoid paying baggage fees, though, so I guess I'm not the only one with an aversion to extra fees. As far as gas to the store, I just picked up the items when I was there anyways. The whole thing got started when I stopped by the charity shop to drop off a bunch of stuff and snowballed. Honestly, I'm pretty proud of my $26 savings, which is what I figured I'd saved after spending $4 on making the coat. Also, the entire project took me a little less than 1 hour. $26 an hour isn't that bad as far as pay scales go.

By the way: Apparently there are now commercial products which include a dress where you pack it with clothing to look like a pretty ugly bubble dress, a variety of jackets and vests that turn into luggage, and some people actually just try layering all their clothing on for the flight.

Edited by TravelinGert

So even if you spend a couple of hundred dollars for bags you are still way ahead of the $1300 option. Doesn't sound like a mistake to me. Enjoy your vacation and don't sweat the small stuff.

i calmed down and went to look at the fees again, and i thought the same thing; even if i spend a little more, i wont be at $1300. one checked bag pp is $26 if i prepay; i usually only bring one big luggage for the whole fam if it is overweight i may bring a larger one and a smaller one for a total of $54. my kids have thes tiny disney suitcases which fit the free personal item dimensions so i will pack some things into 2 of those as well...

the next issue is the seating, when i told my hubby spirit he never heard of it and asked his friend about it who looked at him and said DONT DO IT! so my husband came to me and said what have u done??? how uncomfortable are the seats?? does anyone know? i tried to pay for the $24 seats but kids are not allowed in those seats due to faa reg(??) my husband wants to make sure the kids are comfortable during the flight...

Where is your cruise out of?

I think if you are going out of Florida it will be a non issue. You'll spend more time and energy thinking and planning and worrying about the flight than the 2 hours it takes to get you home.

I'd spend the time and energy on cruise planning instead ;)

-Sean