Royal Caribbean Bypasses Labadee Due to Local Protests

LauraS

There should definitely be some kind of compensation. Especially since I'll be there on Feb 1st. Part of the reason I booked this cruise is for

labadee. Never been and have heard nothing but great things about it.

Read your cruise contract.

we've already heard of the Navigator & Vision cancelling their scheduled stops this week. Other ships scheduled to stop there are the Allure(1/26), Independence(1/27), Anthem(1/28) & Celebrity Silhouette(1/29). Any word if these ships have cancelled as well??

There should definitely be some kind of compensation. Especially since I'll be there on Feb 1st. Part of the reason I booked this cruise is for

labadee. Never been and have heard nothing but great things about it.

I suppose you think if weather or some other issue that is completely out of RCI's control causes a missed port, you should be compensated as well? RCI owes you nothing short of your port fees for a missed port. If you cruise long enough, you WILL miss ports for various reasons. We have missed several, but never sweated it, nor expected anything in return from the cruise line.

This reminds me of a cruise last year when we missed Roatan because of high winds. A lady was at guest services yelling at an officer that she had saved money for several years to take this cruise, and this missed port ruined her entire vacation!!! Really?? Maybe she should have flown there if it was such an importatnt stop? The fact is, weather and political unrest are not predictable and no compensation is owed because of it.

I agree with the earlier post; "Read your cruise contract"! :D:D

I suppose you think if weather or some other issue that is completely out of RCI's control causes a missed port, you should be compensated as well? RCI owes you nothing short of your port fees for a missed port. If you cruise long enough, you WILL miss ports for various reasons. We have missed several, but never sweated it, nor expected anything in return from the cruise line.

This reminds me of a cruise last year when we missed Roatan because of high winds. A lady was at guest services yelling at an officer that she had saved money for several years to take this cruise, and this missed port ruined her entire vacation!!! Really?? Maybe she should have flown there if it was such an importatnt stop? The fact is, weather and political unrest are not predictable and no compensation is owed because of it.

This is a private location. If they struggle with unrest of this magnitude, how safe is this location?

We love Labadee and will be sorry if it is lost as a Western Port of Call.

RCCL suspended all calls at Labadee for several months in the early-mid 90's due to political unrest in that country. They may need to do the same now, but once things stabilize they will return once it's deemed safe.

It was actually February 2004 when RCCL suspended stops.

I am sure that they would refund me if I rented a cabana or purchased any other shore excursion. When we were several hours late (because of a medical emergency, had to turn around and go back to Florida) getting to Labadee last year, they gave us the option of getting our money back for the cabana because the time spent was less then 1/2 the stated time. I suppose that they would do the same because of a missed port.

You will be refunded all and any excursions charges if the ship doesn't stop.

If there are any port charges you will also get that a credit on your seapass .

If it's going to be an ongoing issue I would imagine they will start going to Nassau instead, I'm sure right now it's a wait and see approach.

You are not entitled to compensation!

Edited by Midwestgal

You will be refunded all and any excursions charges if the ship doesn't stop.

If there are any port charges you will also get that a credit on your seapass .

If it's going to be an ongoing issue I would imagine they will start going to Nassau instead, I'm sure right now it's a wait and see approach.

You are not entitled to compensation!

No, Costa Maya would work much better. Edited by FLACRUISER99

Does RC typically refund excursions when/if Labadee is cancelled? If cancellation is likely I might hedge my bets by cancelling some of our activities.

Yes, they will refund ship excursions if they cancel a stop. They just did this on our Vision cruise this week when they cancelled Grand Cayman. However, for non-ship excursions, you are on your own.

Edited by clarea