Tipping question

Overtyme

As far as food being tampered with it's a common occurrence in land based restaurants. I suppose it could happen on cruise ships under the right circumstance.

I suppose if the food is as good as it is on DCL then it won't matter what they do with the food.

As far as food being tampered with it's a common occurrence in land based restaurants. I suppose it could happen on cruise ships under the right circumstance.

Doubt it as well. They don't have the time and probably have a little more self-respect.

Besides, even if you are on a list for removing auto-tips, it is not a list saying 'this person has not and will not tip you, so feel free to ruin our company image'

More cruise critic junk.

Can anyone tell me just how the automatic tips are distributed? How much to the dining room servers, room attendants, etc?

I'm debating whether to leave the automatic gratuities on the reservation, or have guest services delete them and give our waiters and staff cash while on-board (or both). I should say that I'm a generous tipper, having worked as a waiter myself when I was a younger man, so I tend to empathize with these folks.

Can anyone tell me just how the automatic tips are distributed? How much to the dining room servers, room attendants, etc?

I'm debating whether to leave the automatic gratuities on the reservation, or have guest services delete them and give our waiters and staff cash while on-board (or both). I should say that I'm a generous tipper, having worked as a waiter myself when I was a younger man, so I tend to empathize with these folks.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5523

I had a break down once can't find the exact figures at the moment but

Something like $4.25 steward and waiter $2.75 assistants.

I think the waiters got about 25 cents more than the stewards.

Thanks. Based on this, I'll probably leave it on the tab, and perhaps give the servers and room attendant some cash also....:)

Doubt it as well. They don't have the time and probably have a little more self-respect.

Besides, even if you are on a list for removing auto-tips, it is not a list saying 'this person has not and will not tip you, so feel free to ruin our company image'

More cruise critic junk.

I'm just stating what is fact. I didn't say that it DOES happen on cruise ships.

I'm just going by what others, smarter than me, have said. What I've heard is that gratuities are not taxable income to the staff, but if they were paid "wages" it would be. I'm not really sure if that's true or not.

Tom

Does this mean we are paying tips rather than service charges to enable them to cheat on their taxes or are tips considered to be tax-free in other countries? Just wondering.

There's no tipping in Europe and service is pretty poor overall..

Sorry, but that is completely not true. It is possible to tip 10-20% for good service. The big difference is that it is not required to tip, like in the US because the waiters get a decent salary anyway. I find the service here good in general. If it is bad, you complain and get a discount or a free meal.

Funny though. With the required 20% tip, the food served in US restaurants are often more expensive than in EU.

In Europe (exl UK) noone call you sir or m`am, but that should not count as bad service.

Being from a social democratic country, I find the US tipping system silly, but I accept the difference and do my best when I visit US.

Does this mean we are paying tips rather than service charges to enable them to cheat on their taxes or are tips considered to be tax-free in other countries? Just wondering.

Contrary to what some on CC try to assert tips will be taxed differently from country to country.

For example, as I understand it, in the USA a waiter can be taxed as if he received certain tips if he actually got them or not. Whereas in Ustralia and England they are required to declare them (no do they declare them all is another issue) and pay tax in what they declare.

Some people also try to assert that if the company collects them as part of the fare and then pays the staff the extra the company will be taxed on a higher income, which shows a real lack of understanding of the tax system

Tax is paid in become AFTER expenses such as wages are paid.

There may be some payroll tax obligations but considering how the ships aren't US flagged and wages are probably paid hrough countries where payroll tax doesn't apply I have reservations about this argument.

HAL had a no tipping required policy back when we sailed them. But guess what, on the second to last night they delivered tip envelopes. ;)

RC did not create this system. They are following what all the major lines do. BTW, didn't RC do away with tips and just raise the price on drinks when Indy is in Southampton

They already raise the price,and kept the tips.:eek:

Contrary to what some on CC try to assert tips will be taxed differently from country to country.

For example, as I understand it, in the USA a waiter can be taxed as if he received certain tips if he actually got them or not. Whereas in Ustralia and England they are required to declare them (no do they declare them all is another issue) and pay tax in what they declare.

Some people also try to assert that if the company collects them as part of the fare and then pays the staff the extra the company will be taxed on a higher income, which shows a real lack of understanding of the tax system

Tax is paid in become AFTER expenses such as wages are paid.

There may be some payroll tax obligations but considering how the ships aren't US flagged and wages are probably paid hrough countries where payroll tax doesn't apply I have reservations about this argument.

Correct, US employers pay a payroll tax of at least 6%. I think it has to do with SS, so I doubt they pay it to for foreign nationals.

Sorry, but that is completely not true. It is possible to tip 10-20% for good service. The big difference is that it is not required to tip, like in the US because the waiters get a decent salary anyway. I find the service here good in general. If it is bad, you complain and get a discount or a free meal.

Funny though. With the required 20% tip, the food served in US restaurants are often more expensive than in EU.

In Europe (exl UK) noone call you sir or m`am, but that should not count as bad service.

Being from a social democratic country, I find the US tipping system silly, but I accept the difference and do my best when I visit US.

Well, I travel to Europe often and while I agree that service is not bad and generally good I cannot agree about cheaper prices. They are only cheaper in poorer countries like Poland, Czech Rep, Romania, Greece, maybe Spain, but definitely not in Germany, countries of Benelux ... and more expensive in Scandinavia.

Don't you have something better to do with your time?......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's pretty simple for me. Cruise lines have a suggested gratuity amount that they include daily on your shipboard account and cruise lines add the tip into drink purchases. I prepay my tips and I don't worry about tipping anymore during the cruise. I don't come on the ship to figure out what the next person should get for providing service . . . that is too much time spent on "my vacation".

Personally I rather cruise lines just include the gratuity into the final ship price anyway and if there are service issues onboard then allow the cruise line to address them and come up with some sort of system that allows for some refunding via OBC or onboard service and in extreme situations refund the entire cash amount.

I'm an upfront type of person though. If the dining room staff is giving horrible service, I'm likely to let them know that I am going to guest services to complain about the service that I'm receiving . . . and if that doesn't straighten them then off to guest services I go.

It's pretty simple for me. Cruise lines have a suggested gratuity amount that they include daily on your shipboard account and cruise lines add the tip into drink purchases. I prepay my tips and I don't worry about tipping anymore during the cruise. I don't come on the ship to figure out what the next person should get for providing service . . . that is too much time spent on "my vacation".

Personally I rather cruise lines just include the gratuity into the final ship price anyway and if there are service issues onboard then allow the cruise line to address them and come up with some sort of system that allows for some refunding via OBC or onboard service and in extreme situations refund the entire cash amount.

I'm an upfront type of person though. If the dining room staff is giving horrible service, I'm likely to let them know that I am going to guest services to complain about the service that I'm receiving . . . and if that doesn't straighten them then off to guest services I go.

Seems like a reasonable approach. I'm with you, I wish the cruise lines would just fold everything into their prices, including tips, port fees, taxes, etc.

It's like the airlines where they low-ball you on the fares and then hit you with surcharges for security, luggage, etc. JUST TELL ME UP FRONT WHAT I'M GOING TO PAY!

I am with you.

Including this charge into the fare will make it equal for all cruisers.

And service should be good no matter included tips in fare or not. Exeptional service can be rewarded additionaly.