Suite perks not so sweet

Doglover48

Just venting and not sure if I can talk to another person at NCL. We book POA the Penthouse suite for next December. We got the perks but what I didn't know was the shore excursion credit is only $50 per couple for each port (4). The $50 doesn't accumulate. It can only be used $50 each day. The only excursion we are interested in is the dive in Kona. We plan on diving each port. The excursion is $230 pp. I can do it for half on my own. And, $50 isn't helping offset the costs.

I contacted NCL and told the, this and asked if they could make it a $200 obc to cover drinks and a spa pass. They don't do alcohol packages because of federal law.

It was a flat out NO.

I'm perturbed to put it nicely. We always get suites on NCL. We're spending a lot of money. I just don't think it was too much to ask for an obc. I'm sure we will blow more than that on drinks in the first few days.

That perk isn't that great, since there is a good chance you can do it cheaper on your own. It's an okay perk for those who always book NCL excursions. I'm guessing that for the folks that just get to pick one perk, that isn't the most popular one!

But you are missing the point of why they would make that offer. They want to encourage folks to use their shore excursions, just as they want you to experience a drink package, their internet service or their specialty restaurants. It isn't only about it being a perk, it is about having you try their money makers in an effort to show you what you have "missed".

Giving you an OBC would defeat that purpose. It pays to read the fine print before you book. I'm sorry you are disappointed but sometimes you have to look at what the cruise line is actually trying to accomplish.

Did your book your suite because you thought you could save $200 on a excursion? or did you book it because you want the extra service and space?

It has always clearly stated per port and per room not per person.

If you do get it changed over to OBC please share it with the board because you not the only one throwing that perk away

Just venting and not sure if I can talk to another person at NCL. We book POA the Penthouse suite for next December. We got the perks but what I didn't know was the shore excursion credit is only $50 per couple for each port (4). The $50 doesn't accumulate. It can only be used $50 each day. The only excursion we are interested in is the dive in Kona. We plan on diving each port. The excursion is $230 pp. I can do it for half on my own. And, $50 isn't helping offset the costs.

I contacted NCL and told the, this and asked if they could make it a $200 obc to cover drinks and a spa pass. They don't do alcohol packages because of federal law.

It was a flat out NO.

I'm perturbed to put it nicely. We always get suites on NCL. We're spending a lot of money. I just don't think it was too much to ask for an obc. I'm sure we will blow more than that on drinks in the first few days.

So a few things, the OBC is pretty much a throwaway, book the diving on your own, Kona Divers is awesome and and Maui Dreams Dive company. These guys are the best, not a lot of people on the boats and it is whale season in Maui so they do a combo kind of dive and whale watch, they are in no rush to get the dive over and get you back in. We had a mom and a baby whale go directly under our boat. The most awesome thing is hearing them underwater while diving.

I understand the frustration on the suite perks, but it is not NCL it is the state law. They should have some other special perk for Hawaii cruises since you really can't get the most cost effective perk.

You will love Hawaii, not sure if you have been or not, if you have any questions on things to do let me know, we have been many times.

Did your book your suite because you thought you could save $200 on a excursion? or did you book it because you want the extra service and space?

If you do get it changed over to OBC please share it with the board because you not the only one throwing that perk away

We got a sweet promo deal for our upcoming cruise (free UBP, UDP, paid gratuities (suite) and $200 OBC). I admit we won't be booking anything until we return and then only if we see a similar promo since we do not book excursions through NCL.

I am sorry the OP didn't get what he wanted. Good luck with trying to work a deal with NCL.

It was a flat out NO.

Was the drinks package ever even an option? The POA has been excluded from many of the promos and there are some unique laws in Hawaii with booze - someone with more knowledge can explain those.

Doglover48, last cruise we had $75 per port and NCL is very up front as to what the promo is. We had four in our group which makes it less of a value so only used it at one port and knew this going in. I think solo's would like the promo. It does, of course, make more of a difference on lower priced excursions. Take it for what it is.

Just a note. NCL's excursion would come to $408 after the credit and from what I see private 1/2 day trips would be $250 to $280 for two. Did you factor in equipment rental? Did you check if NCL's excursion includes equipment which usually costs $30pp with the private vendors, this might be some of the difference. If you are bringing your own it's a moot point, but if not the comparable privates will jump to about $300 which is close by NCL standards.

Edited by Boschmann

So a few things, the OBC is pretty much a throwaway, book the diving on your own, Kona Divers is awesome and and Maui Dreams Dive company. These guys are the best, not a lot of people on the boats and it is whale season in Maui so they do a combo kind of dive and whale watch, they are in no rush to get the dive over and get you back in. We had a mom and a baby whale go directly under our boat. The most awesome thing is hearing them underwater while diving.

I understand the frustration on the suite perks, but it is not NCL it is the state law. They should have some other special perk for Hawaii cruises since you really can't get the most cost effective perk.

You will love Hawaii, not sure if you have been or not, if you have any questions on things to do let me know, we have been many times.

Thanks! This will be our 4th time but not on a cruise. I've emailed all the dive companies but I have yet to hear back from Kona Dive Company. I've heard good things.

Booked because of service and space but perks are nice when you are spending that kind of money.

I'm perturbed to put it nicely. We always get suites on NCL. We're spending a lot of money. I just don't think it was too much to ask for an obc.

As others have said, it has nothing to do with the amount of money you are throwing at them nor the level of accommodation you have booked. The terms are very clear, "Guest cannot substitute or customize this offer".

Also in the terms of the shorex credit "Use the credit or lose it" and "Shore excursion credit has no monetary value, is non-refundable and non-transferable".

I just found out that the UDP is not free, you have to pay about $75 a person for tips, even if you don't use it.

it is free as even with a free meal coupon at a restaurant you are expected to tip, when you win a free car you have to pay taxes>>>> get the point.

If you do not want to use it do not select it as a perk

You only think that was bad. we went to Bermuda last May had the Garden Villa supposed to be the best right (WRONG) one night we were so tired wanted to go to bed they started that white party the whole room shook till midnight called and complained they just blew it off.Then the next day the hotel director shows up and asks what the problem was , I told him if you would have come up when i called you could have seen what the problem is.

Then had sewer smell in the rooms several times. Me and dw woke at 2:30 am almost puking from the build up of sewer smell.

I just found out that the UDP is not free, you have to pay about $75 a person for tips, even if you don't use it.

I believe you are actually referring to UBP (Unlimited Beverage Package instead of UPD, which is Unlimited Dining Package)!

The UBP is NOT available as a perk on POA, but both do incur the 18% service charge.

That is so completely incorrect. The UDP is no longer being given as a perk. The SDP has replaced it, and generally the 4 day SDP is given as the perk. The price, if purchased, for the 4 day SDP is $74. Gratuity that needs to be paid isn't over 100%, as you posted. It's actually 18%, which would be $13.32 per person.

I believe you are actually referring to UBP (Unlimited Beverage Package instead of UPD, which is Unlimited Dining Package)!

The UBP is NOT available as a perk on POA, but both do incur the 18% service charge.

Ah, I'll bet you're right that the poster meant that. Here I replied just thinking it was horrible, horrible math.

Regardless, this post is about suite perks, and suite guests don't have to pay gratuities on any packages received via promo, so it's all moot.

Was the drinks package ever even an option? The POA has been excluded from many of the promos and there are some unique laws in Hawaii with booze - someone with more knowledge can explain those.

You're referring to HRS § 281-78.5

Under Hawaii State Law, NCL cannot "promote excessive consumption of liquor," which means that they cannot offer a prepaid unlimited beverage package.

I just got off the Jewel Sunday. I had a penthouse suite which is the smallest suite I've ever encountered. The mini suites on Princess are better with more counter space and a real sofa and coffee table.

I also got the beverage package and don't drink. NCL would not do anything. It will be a long time before i consider sailing with them. The service was awful and slow.