Winter Cruises Out Of The Northeast ... WHY ?!

F27TW

I've always wondered why cruises are even offered out of NY/NJ through the winter months and why people would want to sail on them.

I'm really not referring to the Anthem situation of this past week, but more due to the miserable temps! In winter, even if seas are calm, you would be subjected to really nasty cold weather on the first few and last few days of the cruise, thereby being pretty much trapped inside.

Here you are on a beautiful ship designed for warm weather cruising and you're stuck inside ... at trivia contests, napkin folding demonstrations, magician shows and movies in your tiny cabin. I'd imagine the trip home would be the worst part after having just been IN nicer weather for a bit ... then feeling the miserable winter hit u again for those last few days while still ON your vacation.

It surprises me these winter departures out of the northeast ports exist. Do they really sail full? Seems to me like they could use the resources of a ship in better ways (i.e. outta Florida or SJU) in the winter rather than insisting on "maintaining year-round service" out of the northeast. Wouldn't it be better to keep the ships in warm weather so that pax could have a better experience overall?

I've always wondered why cruises are even offered out of NY/NJ through the winter months and why people would want to sail on them.

I'm really not referring to the Anthem situation of this past week, but more due to the miserable temps! In winter, even if seas are calm, you would be subjected to really nasty cold weather on the first few and last few days of the cruise, thereby being pretty much trapped inside.

Here you are on a beautiful ship designed for warm weather cruising and you're stuck inside ... at trivia contests, napkin folding demonstrations, magician shows and movies in your tiny cabin. I'd imagine the trip home would be the worst part after having just been IN nicer weather for a bit ... then feeling the miserable winter hit u again for those last few days while still ON your vacation.

It surprises me these winter departures out of the northeast ports exist. Do they really sail full? Seems to me like they could use the resources of a ship in better ways (i.e. outta Florida or SJU) in the winter rather than insisting on "maintaining year-round service" out of the northeast. Wouldn't it be better to keep the ships in warm weather so that pax could have a better experience overall?

That's what Anthem, Quantum and Ovation have been designed for ..... cold weather ports ! they have far more inside space than most with a large solarium, indoor pools, seaplex and Two70 mean that in colder waters there is still loads of good indoor space to relax in.

We were on Anthem in the UK last September and first and last few days were really glad of the extra indoor space ..... and UK weather definitely isn't Caribbean :)

We have taken 3 cruises out of NJ. You are partly right but the only cold days are the first and last full days. Remember, the time between time of departure and 8:00am on day3 is 40 hours. At 20+ mph, you at at least 800 miles south. Many people think that 2 days on a cruise ship is better than spending 2 days at an airport. If your time is valuable probably better to fly to Florida, if you are retired, 2 days on a ship isn't too bad. My experience is most ships sail full

Due to the nature of my husbands business, we can only travel in January or early February. We find the NJ cruise port is convenient for us since we can drive there in about 7 hours. Hubs is scared to fly and will do so only if he has to, and we have done the drive to Florida ports 3 times already and it is really far for us.

Having been on both anthem and quantum, like others have said there is plenty to do on them until we get far enough south to be outside. We always opt for 11 night or more sailings so we get plenty of Caribbean time!

longer cruise time!!!

don't want to fly to florida

love rocking and rolling

more sea days

don't want to sail during summer when caribbean same as here in nj

cheaper then hurricane season

dont want to sali hurricane season.

less kids even tho i like them

When I lived in nj I did one cruise from there in autumn but it was a 9 or 10 night repo to Miami. To me a 7 day doesn't make sense. 10 to 14 night at least you are in the Caribbean. 7 night to pc and Nassau is a joke. Upside is you can take those longer itineraries for the same or less as flying to FL for a 7 day. Great upside. Now that I live in FL I'd never fly to NY or nj to go on a cruise heading south unless a reponto Florida

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

We've been on 3 or 4 and love them. Our experience has been when you wake up the first time, its shorts and sweatshirt weather, usually between 60 and 70. Nice enough to sit outside and get some sun, read a book, have a drink or four, take a snooze, have a roast beast sandy, have another drink, take another snooze.

The 2nd day your south of Miami, usually warm enough for anything, you don't feel a chill until the last day back. We always do 10-12 days so we get plenty of warm weather, the 7 day cruise may be tough because you only get a day or two of heat.

Anyway, other than some night wind the first and last night, the temps have always been way warmer than you would expect. Don't forget, they head right for the Gulfstream, water temps and air temps are drastically better than inshore.

And besides the 2 freezing days to start and end the trip.

It also has pretty much the worst itinerary possible..

Canaveral, Freeport, and CocoCay.....

There are also longer itineraries. Really need to do at least 11 days to enjoy the Caribbean.

And besides the 2 freezing days to start and end the trip.

It also has pretty much the worst itinerary possible..

Canaveral, Freeport, and CocoCay.....

wouldn't do that 7 nighter, but the the

longer ones have great itineraries

Edited by SeaUs

That's almost like asking why take an Alaskan cruise. We've taken 3. On 2 we had weather in the 30s and enjoyed them both.

Also somethings it's not the destination it's the ship.

Correct, but it's not advertised as a warm weather getaway

Not everybody is a sun worshiper and some ships are built for extra indoor entertainment. I actually dislike the beach but enjoy relaxing with a book in the solarium (as long as it's not too hot/sunny!). It's always a great convenience to sail out of the port you live in too. I can be at the piers in Manhattan in 10 minutes flat! Airfare adds up with kids but 3rd and 4th passengers in the same stateroom are frequently free or a good buy so that can tip the balance too.

That's almost like asking why take an Alaskan cruise. We've taken 3. On 2 we had weather in the 30s and enjoyed them both.

Also somethings it's not the destination it's the ship.

I think the really huge ships are the destination.

Flights are really unreliable and ad to the cost . I board a ship and instant vacation, I'm not cooking, cleaning etc. really enjoying that hot tub ,good food,friendly staff. 2 days down and 2 days back mean relaxation & time to shop,gamble or sleep,it's all good.

The people I vacation with will not fly,so taking the train or me driving are transportation reality. Baltimore is a great port, more affordable,the taxes & travel hassle are less than NY.

Bahamas, E & W Caribbean,cruising the Chesapeake,Bermuda or Canada,great choices.

If you don't like NE sailings,do the " go a day ahead so you don't miss the ship " thing,

I like the convenience and smaller ships , I'm sailing March 30th, the ship is sold out, many people agree with me. Keep the NE sailings

I answered on the other thread--but I'll answer here as well.

As others said, not all of us are after a warm and sunny weather experience (honestly, if that were my main goal, I'd fly into an all inclusive in Puerto Vallarta if I still lived in the US, or Maritius from here).

Personally, I enjoy the many indoor experiences the ships offer and am more likely to be fond playing the games or dancing at a party than around the pool even on a warm sunny day (actually, especially on a sunny day---I don't like a lot of sun!).

I don'r sail out of the North East, because I no longer live there---but if I did I would be thrilled to be able to easily drive to port and get on a ship and start my vacation--relaxing, having lots of food options and someone cleaning up after me and people devising all sorts of things to entertain me, etc. Being hot is not a requirement, or even a want for ME on vacation.