propeller change on Anthem?

watson50

hi everybody.our local news here in n.y. tells us Anthem had to change its port azipod propeller.how does that happen when not in a dry dock.I understand internal azipod problems can usually be repaired from within the ship,but how do they do the prop while in port? c'mon,somebody amaze me. was on Anthem nov.30-dec.12.fantastic time.26x cruiser

hi everybody.our local news here in n.y. tells us Anthem had to change its port azipod propeller.how does that happen when not in a dry dock.I understand internal azipod problems can usually be repaired from within the ship,but how do they do the prop while in port? c'mon,somebody amaze me. was on Anthem nov.30-dec.12.fantastic time.26x cruiser

They changed the clutches in the Azipods not the propellor.

Actually, changing a propeller in the water is not that uncommon. When Freedom lost a bearing in one pod, in order to reduce drag, since the propeller had to be locked from rotating (to keep from totally destroying the bearing), divers came and removed the blades and the hub presents little resistance or drag. It is just as easy to re-install propeller blades in the water.

I'm not saying this is easy, there are about 2 diving companies in the world that will do this, and it takes time to stage the equipment and a good day to just remove the blades.

Anthem did not renew blades or propellers. An early article "quoted" a USCG spokesman as saying the "pod was replaced". You don't, over the life of the vessel, replace a pod. That is a major undertaking in a drydock.

One of my ships had a stern thruster that was leaking oil. We had the manufacturer's rep come onboard, with a crew of divers, who took the propeller completely off this thruster while in port, and when we needed to get underway, they would lash everything down tight inside the thruster tunnel, and away we would go. It took them a week, and 5 port calls to complete the totally underwater repair.

Actually, changing a propeller in the water is not that uncommon. When Freedom lost a bearing in one pod, in order to reduce drag, since the propeller had to be locked from rotating (to keep from totally destroying the bearing), divers came and removed the blades and the hub presents little resistance or drag. It is just as easy to re-install propeller blades in the water.

I'm not saying this is easy, there are about 2 diving companies in the world that will do this, and it takes time to stage the equipment and a good day to just remove the blades.

Anthem did not renew blades or propellers. An early article "quoted" a USCG spokesman as saying the "pod was replaced". You don't, over the life of the vessel, replace a pod. That is a major undertaking in a drydock.

One of my ships had a stern thruster that was leaking oil. We had the manufacturer's rep come onboard, with a crew of divers, who took the propeller completely off this thruster while in port, and when we needed to get underway, they would lash everything down tight inside the thruster tunnel, and away we would go. It took them a week, and 5 port calls to complete the totally underwater repair.

The fact that the ship is underway, essentially on time. Does that suggest the issues were 'relatively minor' or can we now include the USCG in this conspiracy to put passengers lives at risk?

The fact that the ship is underway, essentially on time. Does that suggest the issues were 'relatively minor' or can we now include the USCG in this conspiracy to put passengers lives at risk?

Well, they are the government, after all. :D

Time to don the tinfoil hats.

A new ship having so many problems.

I believe this could likely be the results of sailing in a hurricane type storm which has a tendency of stressing all systems both mechanically and staff onboard. :D

Edited by robtulipe

No to both.

Quickly repaired once in port is not necessarily minor. I don't know enough to know if the azipod related repairs could have been done while underway. But even if so, I don't think the seriousness of damage is entirely determined by how quickly it can be repaired.

I don't know of an organization more devoted to saving and protecting lives in maritime environments.

Edited by broberts

Um... Google is your friend. Try to look one up yourself.

yo Lou,why don't you trim your prop a little. I know all about Google. Being a past cruiser this stuff to me is very interesting .Sometimes one can get info right from the place of origin, ie: dock worker,repair team,and believe it or knot.pun intended,sometimes from RCCL itself.so why don't you dump some av/GAS and land.oh, and Lou,make sure your gear is down and locked.

Edited by watson50

yo Lou,why don't you trim your prop a little. I know all about Google. Being a past cruiser this stuff to me is very interesting .Sometimes one can get info right from the place of origin, ie: dock worker,repair team,and believe it or knot.pun intended,sometimes from RCCL itself.so why don't you dump some av/GAS and land.oh, and Lou,make sure your gear is down and locked.

Ummm.. we don't "trim" the props, we trim the aircraft for level flight.

Otherwise, I dismiss you! Bye, bye. :cool: