Question about On Board Credit OBC

1bravesfan

The onboard credit is applied to your cabin account. All charges will be applied to this same account, as the ship uses a cashless system. This includes the per day gratuity. You can check the balance daily in your cabin, on the interactive tv. If you wish to make any changes to the daily gratuity, that can be done towards the end of the cruise...just go to the main desk. They will ask you to fill out a form to indicate the changes you would like made.

Any member of the bar staff will be happy to upgrade your beverage package for you. I always do the upgrade as soon as we board, so that I can take advantage of the upgrade immediately.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Just keep in mind that you don't have to upgrade the package immediately. You might go a day or so and see if you really need to. Some people find they are happy with the Classic. You can upgrade (only one person if you wish, not mandatory both occupants of the cabin upgrade) any time up to like the last three days of the cruise at a pro-rated price.

Can on board credi be used to upgrade from classic drink package to premium?

Also, can on board credit be used to pay tips?

Yes, it can be used for any expenses that are charged to your onboard account;

which means just about anything you pay for on the ship, except for future cruise deposits.

If there is anything else that I am overlooking, I hope someone else will post to let us know what it is.

Edited by fleckle

• 5 months later...

I you are planning to use it for additional staff tips, it must be done by 9:00 a.m. on the last full day. I learned this the hard way - went down at 6:00 a.m. on day of debarkation, thinking I had until 8:00 to settle our account, and could not tip from our OBC. It was probably somewhere in the mountain of information we were given to read, but was not emphasized. So, we ended up doing some cash tips and leaving money on the table with Celebrity. Not too happy about that. Otherwise out trip was great.

The onboard credit is applied to your cabin account. All charges will be applied to this same account, as the ship uses a cashless system. This includes the per day gratuity. You can check the balance daily in your cabin, on the interactive tv. If you wish to make any changes to the daily gratuity, that can be done towards the end of the cruise...just go to the main desk. They will ask you to fill out a form to indicate the changes you would like made.

Any member of the bar staff will be happy to upgrade your beverage package for you. I always do the upgrade as soon as we board, so that I can take advantage of the upgrade immediately.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Just remember that there are two classes of OBC: restricted and unrestricted.

If you do not have prepaid gratuities and are thinking about using Restricted OBC (such as Go Big OBC) to pay for your gratuities, that is not allowed. They want you to use the restricted OBC for discretionary on-board spending - but not on "required" spending.

If you do not have prepaid gratuities and are thinking about using Restricted OBC (such as Go Big OBC) to pay for your gratuities, that is not allowed. They want you to use the restricted OBC for discretionary on-board spending - but not on "required" spending.

Since when? I'v never come across this.

Since when? I'v never come across this.

Neither have I. As far as I know there are 2 types of OBC... OBN (Non-refundable, usually comes from the cruise line) and OBR (refundable, usually comes from your TA or any OBC that you pre purchased).

They use OBN first to pay off your On Board Account. After that they use the OBR. Any OBR left over will be applied to the credit card you registered with as a credit.

Steve

Just remember that there are two classes of OBC: restricted and unrestricted.

This is not true. They use OBC-R first, for anything including gratuities. We always have the obc from our travel agent credited to our credit card for use on something we actually want. This is the way it's been since we started cruising 13 years ago.

I believe that they use the NON refundable OBC first -- the OBC-N or OBN code. Then they use the refundable -- the OBC-R or OBR code.

As I understand it and the way it was just done on my Silhho cruise last week, Grandgeezer had it backwards, and Stevea36 has it the right way round.

In nearly 60 cruises on Celebrity, I've never seen any "restricted use" OBC.

Maybe this is just a matter of semantics? But "refundable" and "non-refundable" are the terms used on board.

Can on board credi be used to upgrade from classic drink package to premium?

Also, can on board credit be used to pay tips?

As said above, yes to both, the only thing I can think of that it can't be used for is to book a new cruise or future cruise deposit.