News from the Royal Princess

skynight

Does anyone know when it's scheduled for the drydock? We'll be on it in April 2017.

Based on this website it's from September 25, 2016 to October 6, 2016.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

The Regal is scheduled from April 17, 2017 to April 29, 2017.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If only they had learned after they built the Grand. It would have saved them money.

Or even after the Royal & to not repeat the mistake again on the Regal. :(

I seem to recall reading that the Majestic for the Asian market will have the midship stairways finished for passenger usage.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Heard it was in the millions. Didn't think the dry dock was going to be long enough to do that so we shall see.

That was the cost savings the Princess engineer said during his presentation on the Royal.

Since the stairways already exist hopefully they'll be able to finish them for passenger usage although not sure if 12 days will be long enough time to do it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That was the cost savings the Princess engineer said during his presentation on the Royal.
I'd read the same thing, that not finishing the stairs on the Royal/Regal was a decision made by Mickey Arison to save money. It was his decision not to spend the money.

I'd read the same thing, that not finishing the stairs on the Royal/Regal was a decision made by Mickey Arison to save money. It was his decision not to spend the money.

Yes, the engineer said Arison would refuse to pay for any cost overruns and instead would remove things such as the midship stairs being finished for passenger usage...or the twin glass dueling pianos originally shown in Crooners.

Yes, the engineer said Arison would refuse to pay for any cost overruns and instead would remove things such as the midship stairs being finished for passenger usage...or the twin glass dueling pianos originally shown in Crooners.

Now I know why his net worth is 7.2Billion.:eek::eek:

I just got off her today, and this is good news. Embarkation was tough, because most of the center elevators were being used for luggage delivery, and this is really my only complaint about the ship. We were mid-aft, thank goodness.

I was on royal recently, and didn't see this.

The center elevators were 'Reserved' and not in normal

service; but, they are reserved for embarking passengers,

not luggage.

If they were used for luggage, you would see lots of luggage

in the elevator lobbies, and I never have...

Edited by pablo222

I was on royal recently, and didn't see this.

The center elevators were 'Reserved' and not in normal

service; but, they are reserved for embarking passengers,

not luggage.

If they were used for luggage, you would see lots of luggage

in the elevator lobbies, and I never have...

I am assuming they were being used for luggage; almost every center elevator said "reservation" on the deck indicator, and the ones that were working never stopped when you pressed the button. It probably took us 10 minutes to figure out how to get to the buffet.

I sail the Celebrity Silhouette and they have no center stairs. Why is it an issue on the Royal? I have sailed both the Royal and Regal and never missed those stairs.

Looking at deck plans, S class stairs seem to be more centrally located whereas Royal's seem more aft and more forward

This is good news!!

Was he serious? ;) When I was on the Royal in October, one of the officers told me that they were going to open up the center staircase....then he winked and said "just kidding". It didn't matter to me if there was a center staircase, but I know it matters to a lot of people. I hope they do it if it makes people happy.

I sail the Celebrity Silhouette and they have no center stairs. Why is it an issue on the Royal? I have sailed both the Royal and Regal and never missed those stairs.

After the upset with Princess cruisers, I actually wondered why Celebrity cruisers didn't go crazy about their new ships since there are only two elevator banks and stairs. Yes, one is fairly mid-ship, but there is no aft elevator or stairs. I sailed on the Equinox and thought is was ill planned. I'm much happier with the Regal/Royal with 3 elevator banks. It's true that the mid-ship elevators on the Solstice class ships have more cars and that helps moving people.