I always get a good laugh from this...

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

Whenever I am reading reviews and people complain about the food! They will say it was horrible, they hated the new menus, food not very good, etc. My question is what are they comparing it to? The Denny's, Tacos Bells, hot dog joints and Burger Kings they frequent? Or are they eating in 5 star restaurants all the time? They are rarely specific either. They will just state- "the food was not very good". I mean the food on both Carnival and Royal (Royal especially) is FANTASTIC, both in taste and presentation! I cook often and only cook the best for my family, and when I go out I tend to only go to the best restaurants (there are tons in Chicago) so I think I know good food. Call me a borderline food snob but I never even eat fast food and will not even go to a restaurant with less than favorable reviews because I feel so passionate about food!

Edited by MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I have had really good food on board and some food that is simply "meh". What I think makes it exceptional is the fact that I didn't have to cook it and I'm eating it against a backdrop of turquoise water! As it is all inclusive, I certainly don't believe that the food on the ship warrants complaints. For the price, it really is just fine and sometimes quite good!

Well food is just so subjective and I think that we must be realistic in our expectations. As an example, we frequent Ruth Chris Steakhouse a lot-however, I do not expect the food on the ship to taste like that nor do I expect it to taste like Flemings. I have always experienced good food on my cruises. Now, have there been things that I liked better than others? Absolutely! At the end of the day, we must be realistic in our expectations on a cruise ship (or even a land based restaurant)...

Well, after our Vision cruise in Nov/Dec, I posted that the food wasn't good. I was comparing it to other RCI ships we've been on. GR had the best and Vision the worst. The rest are somewhere in between. So, laugh, but some of us are comparing apples to apples.

We rarely eat fast food. We tend to eat at local restaurants and only occasionally eat at chains (Ruths Chris is a favorite, but it can get pricey). I don't compare our cruise meals to ANY restaurant meal because I don't think I've ever been in a restaurant that feeds 4000 people dinner in one day.

Edited by BND

We have nearly 2 dozen cruises with RCI and overall we have been happy with the food in the MDR. WJ has been hit or miss but we always find something that we are ok with.

The executive chefs on each ship makes or breaks it for us. Some have been outstanding, and the food taste reflected it. Others have been not so great, and the food has been bland, unseasoned, or drowned in creams, sauces, or gravy.

If you say so. I've never sailed on Carnival. I've had good food on RCCL but nothing "fantastic".

I agree. We've rarely complained, but the food in MDR is just OK for the most part. Some specialty restaurants, sometimes very good. Never had "fantastic" in MDR.......

Edited by bouhunter

In my opinion the food is good. Is it as good as it was 10 years ago? I don't think so. However, the overall experience is still enjoyable and cost-cutting/revenue maximization is a fact of life these days. I've noticed the same changes at a land-based resort where we've spent the holidays periodically over the years. If I didn't have an overall good time, I'd stop going.

I must be a complete low life with zero positive attributes in life.

I actually enjoy the occasional Denney's and/or Taco Bell

:D:D

Yeah I don't know why OP is hanging out here with folks who might stoop so low as to venture into a fast food joint:rolleyes:........

In my opinion the food is good. Is it as good as it was 10 years ago? I don't think so. However, the overall experience is still enjoyable and cost-cutting/revenue maximization is a fact of life these days. I've noticed the same changes at a land-based resort where we've spent the holidays periodically over the years. If I didn't have an overall good time, I'd stop going.

I agree 100%. I would love to "inspect" the complainers home cuisine......probably a diet of Dominos, T.V. dinners and Kraft mac and cheese. And most likely the biggest complainers are paying the lowest fare to cruise (and complain about THAT.);)

I agree with the OP. I hate it when someone posts the food was bad or inedible and they don't give an explanation of why they think this. Without knowing the perspective of the poster it is impossible to take that type of post seriously. If they say the food was cold, unappetizing, not cooked properly, flavorless then I can appreciate their comments. I also believe that comparing the food to another restaurant or cruise line with specifics is helpful. jmo

Whenever I am reading reviews and people complain about the food! They will say it was horrible, they hated the new menus, food not very good, etc. My question is what are they comparing it to?

My answer is, we are comparing it to how the food tasted on previous Royal Caribbean cruises. In our opinion, it has gotten worse.

Cruising IMHO is not really about the food. Obviously you won't starve on a cruise. ;)

That is one of the things I actually miss on a cruise. I love to cook, and enjoy cooking many interesting meals from scratch at home. There is no comparison on a cruise to what I do. I don't cruise for dining.

I just figure, the food is there so you can survive. It is not the main event.

Edited by island lady

I like to cook and am quite good at it. Also like to experience different culinary experiences. Some of the best meals I have had have not been expensive, far from it. Had some really great meals from small places in the back alleys in Bangkok. I have also worked in commercial kitchens and know what happens on the other side.

Considering the number of covers and the efficiency of service I was impressed.

Maybe. I just cus thousand off the holiday by getting rid of useless Balcony in favour of eating in decent restaurants. I'm also not going on 2 cruises this year in favour of a land trip. How is it working our so far for royal? Check the share price and find out :)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Talk about dumb posts.

I too get a kick out of the food reviews! When we 1st did a cruise we were relatively poor (my parents paid for the whole family) and going to an Outback steakhouse was a splurge for us at the time. We thought the food in the MDR and Windjammer was AMAZING! We've since been able to afford a few cruises now and I believe the food is (for the most part) just as good as it was then. But there is no way it could ever meet the expectations I had after our first experience. I still love traditional dinner in the MDR and breakfast in the windjammer. Better than Outback and Denny's any day of the week!

I learned a long time ago that another's opinion of a food dish does not mean I will have the same opinion. I ignore food reviews because they weren't done with my taste buds.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My feelings exactly....

I love food and it is a big part of a vacation for me. When I read the reviews about how the food is bad, it makes me nervous that we will have bad food on an otherwise great vacation. So far, we have not had a bad food experience. :)

Now to be fair, I review all of the menus in advance. There are some menus we really enjoy so we plan our MDR nights around the menu. For the other nights, we pick a specialty restaurant. We REALLY enjoy the Chef's Table when available; great for foodies and wine lovers (also good conversation and meeting new friends). On Oasis, we did have the opportunity to try Coastal Kitchen one night. We will also do Chops one night. In July, we will have our first dynamic dining experience. It may take a little planning (and some extra cash) but you can have an excellent food experience on a ship serving meals to 4,000 to 6,000 people each day.