Why . . .

sharkaymon

Because it cuts down on food waste.

I agree that Carnival stated that it cuts down on waste but I have to disagree. With the size of the plates in the lido it looks like more waste to me. I have seen people pile those plates to the brim and spilling over and not eat 1/4th of what was on them.

I agree that Carnival stated that it cuts down on waste but I have to disagree. With the size of the plates in the lido it looks like more waste to me. I have seen people pile those plates to the brim and spilling over and not eat 1/4th of what was on them.

How would having a tray cut back on waste? A tray only gives more carrying space to load up more.

I wish they did because I have a daughter who is special needs and can't carry her plate very well and also a 3 year old. It would be nice to have one. I hate buffets anyway having children. Lol you get everyone set up and then you go get yours and they want something else or they are done and you are just getting ready to eat. Lol

I will try keeping a room service tray though. Good idea.

I don't miss the trays since I normally only had a plate, water, and silverware anyway. I do find myself taking a little more food with the larger plates when I go to the buffet (which is not often). What would just thrill me to pieces is a little cup indent on the plate. Then I could put my water on the plate and carry the whole thing with two hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't miss the trays since I normally only had a plate, water, and silverware anyway. I do find myself taking a little more food with the larger plates when I go to the buffet (which is not often). What would just thrill me to pieces is a little cup indent on the plate. Then I could put my water on the plate and carry the whole thing with two hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princess also uses large plates on lido but when you sit down with your food a crew member will come over and ask what you would like to drink and than get it for you as well as refills.

Rare on Carnival for refill carts to come around lido.

Princess also uses large plates on lido but when you sit down with your food a crew member will come over and ask what you would like to drink and than get it for you as well as refills.

Rare on Carnival for refill carts to come around lido.

Actually they ask you what you want to drink and get it for you all the time, you just have to give them your S&S card. It's cheaper with Cheers! ;)

But it's nice they do it with water on Princess.

Edited by erinmarie424

How would having a tray cut back on waste? A tray only gives more carrying space to load up more.

No, what they mean is that doing away with the trays cut down on food waste. Carnival believed that when using trays people tended to load up more food than they were actually eating.

I've seen Heald mention a few times that people were not pleased with the large plates and wished Carnival would go back to the trays. So there have been plenty of folks that have brought this issue up.

I miss the trays too and for the same reasons - no way to carry food, silverware and cup. And if my husband wants me to grab a plate for him (or vice versus) - whomever is getting food truly has to make two trips.

I'll have to remember that after my next cruise and write it on the review I usually get from Carnival afterwards.

So, odds are...you've filled up your tray but actually only eat a small portion of what you have selected. Therefore the remainder is trashed, creating wasted food. If you only have a plate to fill up, you may not generate as much waste as you would with a tray. :)

One reason for no trays- think about it. You are on a ship, on WATER. It's unstable. the SAME as plates and cups on a tray. Unexpected movement- could be a shift/dump, then people falling in the food/drink on the floor. IF you have direct hold of those plates/cups- you have a LOT more stability. Simple, safety solution, as it is always a segment of time- before food or drink can be picked up off the floor.

College campus cafeterias all over have removed trays. The number one reason is to cut down on costs. First, you save on not having them. Next they have to be washed, and handled by people. All these things cost money. Next you have the environment, which is processing waste water

Tons of reasons and I believe all cruise lines have removed trays for the environment.

Why? Because it's a buffet not a high school cafeteria. No buffet I have gone to on land offers a tray.

It's not a difficult concept for those who really should be more familiar with buffet-style service. Get your utensils and beverage first to "reserve" your chosen table. Then go select your food items. Sit down and eat.

Want more? Go back and get it.

It's not rocket surgery but people sure do want to make eating more complicated than it needs to be.

the college here removed trays in an effort to reduce food waste. Makes sense - along with all the breakage/replacement costs, washing, handling, etc.

However, I feel badly for those with mobility troubles, parents juggling little ones and others in need of a bit of assistance where a tray would make it so much easier for them!

Retaining one from Room Service to use later seems like a workable idea, especially for those who like to enjoy Lido breakfast items on their balcony.