Worst Case Scenario- Kids with no Passports

silverbutterfly

I have already decided to get my kids passports for our upcoming cruise in June to the Caribbean (Carnival). I have read that they don't need them unless an emergency arises and you need to fly home from a port. So what if you don't have them for your kids and an emergency DOES happen requiring you to fly home from a foreign port. Can they really prevent your child from leaving? Or is there just a lot of red tape involved? Just extremely curious. :)

I have already decided to get my kids passports for our upcoming cruise in June to the Caribbean (Carnival). I have read that they don't need them unless an emergency arises and you need to fly home from a port. So what if you don't have them for your kids and an emergency DOES happen requiring you to fly home from a foreign port. Can they really prevent your child from leaving? Or is there just a lot of red tape involved? Just extremely curious. :)

You would have to go to the US Consulate and get temporary passports before they will let the kids on the airplane. I don't even know if the Consulate is open on the weekends.

Be aware that each Caribbean country does NOT have a US Embassy or Consulate -- the Embassy in Barbados covers a number of island countries and Consulate in Curacao covers Aruba and Bonaire.

Embassies and Consulates are on a 5 day work week (Monday thru Friday in non-Muslim countries). Embassies and Consulates will have an on call officer but what may be an emergency to you is not necessarily an emergency to the State Department.

The State Department's Country Information website for most Caribbean countries has the following warning:

NOTE: Be aware that Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the United States (closed loop cruises) do not require that you travel with a valid passport. However, should you need to disembark due to an emergency and you do not have a valid passport, you may encounter difficulties entering or remaining in a foreign country. You may also have difficulty attempting to re-enter the United States by air because many airlines will require a valid passport before allowing you to board the aircraft. As such, it is strongly recommended that you always travel abroad with your valid passport.

I don't care how old we are or our daughter is.....we never leave the country without our passports. :)

If someone traveling with children has an emergency that requires them to make an unplanned flight home, do they really need the added stress and worry and delay in getting home? You can be delayed longer than is acceptable to you under the circumstances of the emergency. What if you want that child brought to a U.S. hospital for emergency care but you are unable to leave some place with a lower quality medical system where they got sick/injured?

If someone traveling with children has an emergency that requires them to make an unplanned flight home, do they really need the added stress and worry and delay in getting home? You can be delayed longer than is acceptable to you under the circumstances of the emergency. What if you want that child brought to a U.S. hospital for emergency care but you are unable to leave some place with a lower quality medical system where they got sick/injured?

This AND what if some emergency happened back home that caused you to really need to get back immediately but you couldn't until your got your kids passports which might be several days or longer.

We already have another thread running on this subject, and my thoughts remain the same:

Whether it be a "closed loop" cruise or not, passports are the gold standard of ID.

If you fail to get one you do so at your own peril.

What was that credit card that had the slogan "never leave home wthout it"?

Also remind yourself that what is an emergency for you, isn't necessarily an emergency for the Consulate/Embassy. So, in the end, if you'll need it, paying the passport fee will save you a lot of headaches and possibly some hefty hotel rates at your destination when things go wrong.

Having an emergency while on holiday is bad enough, without all the extra drama and difficulties to obtain a passport in a country/territory without Embassy or Consulate.

Also remind yourself that what is an emergency for you, isn't necessarily an emergency for the Consulate/Embassy. So, in the end, if you'll need it, paying the passport fee will save you a lot of headaches and possibly some hefty hotel rates at your destination when things go wrong.

Having an emergency while on holiday is bad enough, without all the extra drama and difficulties to obtain a passport in a country/territory without Embassy or Consulate.

ALSO keep in mind there is not a Consulate or U.S. Embassy on every Caribbean Island. You may get lucky and be in San Juan when you have the emergency or you could be in an island where it could take even longer to get documents because of lack of a consulate.

You WILL get home...but it can be a pain...the foreign country will NOT keep you!!!!

It is nowhere as easy as what is implied here. The foreign country will not keep you permanently, but they will keep you from leaving until you produce what they consider is all the necessary paperwork.

As others have said, that may require trying to travel to another island where there is a US Consulate and stand in line for assistance. An emergency on your part does not constitute an emergency on the government's part. If your emergency occurs over a weekend or on a holiday, you're going to go nowhere fast.

Edited by slidergirl

The State Department has the authority to waive the passport requirements for emergencies or for humanitarian reasons. Exactly how things pan out depend on the facts- a medical emergency will receive a quicker response than being overserved at Senor Frogs. I read about one fellow that missed the ship because he was waiting for others in his party and they had returned to the ship without him. The port agent was a great deal of help to him, helped him make an appointment the next day for the Embassy, lodging, finding a photo place etc. He walked out of the Embassy (Nassau) an hour and a half later with his passport and he had everything he needed for the Embassy to issue the same, including an expired passport. The rest of the delay he experienced was waiting for flights.

I read about a pair of elderly ladies who missed the ship because one of them broke her hip. It took them 3 days to get home, but the teller of that tale did not have any details, such as how long it took for the hospital to stabilize her for travel or how long it took to get the flight or how long it took the Consulate/Embassy to issue a travel document.

The Consulate will do everything they can to get travelers home as quickly as they can but there will be delays, and extra expenses. I carry travel insurance for the latter and figure the former is an inherent risk in traveling.

No passport = no exit/entry...I'm sure in life-death situations with a little social media anything is possible.

But why.. just a few bucks and a little planning and you are covered. Beyond me why people spend thousand of dollars and months planning and decide to not take the trouble to get a passport.

No passport = no exit/entry...I'm sure in life-death situations with a little social media anything is possible.

But why.. just a few bucks and a little planning and you are covered. Beyond me why people spend thousand of dollars and months planning and decide to not take the trouble to get a passport.

I know it doesn't apply to anyone here but there likely are some people who cannot get a passport for one reason or another. :eek:

I know it doesn't apply to anyone here but there likely are some people who cannot get a passport for one reason or another. :eek:

That's interesting indeed. If you aren't eligible for a passport then are you even allowed to leave the country?

I know a little girl who would love to travel from Ontario, Canada to the US to visit Disney but her biological father will not sign paperwork that would allow her mom and dad to get her a passport.

That's interesting indeed. If you aren't eligible for a passport then are you even allowed to leave the country?

I know a little girl who would love to travel from Ontario, Canada to the US to visit Disney but her biological father will not sign paperwork that would allow her mom and dad to get her a passport.

That sucks that parents do that. As far as someone not being able to get a passport and travel it would depend on the reason but I would think they would still be allowed to travel on closed loop cruises (although getting home for them might be a bit more of a problem if something were to happen:eek:), as long as they had no travel restrictions in general such as probation.

That sucks that parents do that. As far as someone not being able to get a passport and travel it would depend on the reason but I would think they would still be allowed to travel on closed loop cruises (although getting home for them might be a bit more of a problem if something were to happen:eek:), as long as they had no travel restrictions in general such as probation.

Yes, I think that is the case.

A passport is not necessary for cruise passengers on most cruiselines in the Caribbean.

You need a CERTIFIED birth certificate to sale (it has a raised seal in NE) & anyone over 16 needs a government ID as well.

We can go on & on about why it is a good idea. Honestly it is a VERY expensive insurance policy, nothing more.

About 10 years ago the rumor mill was that the US was going to begin requiring passports to fly, cruise, etc. Since we travel domestically often & cruise about annually, DH & I decided to beat the rush & get ours.

Now, we have NOT gotten our children passports even though they have cruised 4/10 cruises with us. Why? Unnecessary expense & only good for 5 years--so we would have had to get them 2x for them, which would have been an additional $500+.

Odds are it will not be an issue if you do not have them. If an issue arises, we would deal with it.

I'm a gambler--I will play the odds.