Dinner at same time as sail away?

gander24

I searched the boards for this question but came up short. We are going on a family cruise in March and bringing my husband's very animated, young-at-heart 86-year-old grandma. The whole family is so excited to share the "cruise experience" with her.

One of our favorite moments on a boat is when you pull away from the dock and start making your way to open waters. You know, the "point of no return." (Except when they kick us off a week later.) The Navigator is scheduled to set sail at 5:30pm on embarkation day, the same time as our early seating. Do they adjust dinnertime the first night to allow the early seaters to partake in the sail-away festivities?

We hope so, since we love that first dinner in the MDR as well. Thanks in advance!

I searched the boards for this question but came up short. We are going on a family cruise in March and bringing my husband's very animated, young-at-heart 86-year-old grandma. The whole family is so excited to share the "cruise experience" with her.

One of our favorite moments on a boat is when you pull away from the dock and start making your way to open waters. You know, the "point of no return." (Except when they kick us off a week later.) The Navigator is scheduled to set sail at 5:30pm on embarkation day, the same time as our early seating. Do they adjust dinnertime the first night to allow the early seaters to partake in the sail-away festivities?

We hope so, since we love that first dinner in the MDR as well. Thanks in advance!

No..

No problem... Go on deck for the sail-away. Take your photos and enjoy the experience. Then go down to the Windjammer for supper. If you have not gone to the Windjammer before, they put out an excellent spread that usually includes the items on the dining room menu.

Just make the "first dinner in the MDR" the next night.

You can inform the head waiter upon boarding that you will not be attending dinner the first night and make plans in a specialty restaurant or WJ for your first night. We did this for our first night, departing Sydney, Australia and went up to the WJ then came to dinner the 2nd night

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Actually, every ship I've been on DOES have a slightly different dining schedule on departure day.

Interesting. We always have early dining and have never had the time of the first night dining any different than the rest of the nights. In face we were on the Navigator in November and we just skipped MDR first night so we could do sail away.

Actually, every ship I've been on DOES have a slightly different dining schedule on departure day.

Example?

I have NEVER had a slightly different dinner schedule on departure day.....

In all of my cruises it was different by half an hr once. Don't remember what line, but it was many years ago

You can be a few minutes late I think. If she sails away on time, and depending on your mom's mobility, you could be at your table by 5:45. And I'm 90% sure they will seat you, especially if you mom plays the "sweet but a bit confused old lady" card.

And if not, no worse off. WJ it is then.

and I'm not sure if it will help but you could talk to the headwaiter earlier to let him know you'll be late. That could backfire though if he tells you that you have to be on time. Then you can't play dumb later.

You can be a few minutes late I think. If she sails away on time, and depending on your mom's mobility, you could be at your table by 5:45. And I'm 90% sure they will seat you, especially if you mom plays the "sweet but a bit confused old lady" card.

and I'm not sure if it will help but you could talk to the headwaiter earlier to let him know you'll be late. That could backfire though if he tells you that you have to be on time. Then you can't play dumb later.

15 minutes is not a 'few'. esp for early seating since the staff needs to be able to begin service ASAP so they can turn the table over for late dining

you really need to be in your seat within 5 minutes of the doors being open.

if you do decide to skip MDR please the the maitre d' know so the staff does not wait for you.

15 minutes is not a 'few'. esp for early seating since the staff needs to be able to begin service ASAP so they can turn the table over for late dining

if you do decide to skip MDR please the the maitre d' know so the staff does not wait for you.

Nothing a little extra tip wouldn't cover. Might be worth if for mom's first cruise, both sailaway and first dinner are events. Nice to do both. I'd probably give them $20.

I think the suggestions to try a different venue for the first day on board would be less stressful for everyone concerned (wait staff and pax). You don't want to be rushed to experience sail-away and then rush through dinner as well. And it gives you the chance to try out the WJ for a nice informal first night. It would probably be a nice touch to follow the suggestion to let the head waiter know why you'll be missing in action the first night ... who knows, if enough people made formal comments about it, RCI might re-consider the concept of pushing back that first dinner seating schedule.

I only had one cruise where the dinner seating deprived us of the sail-away festivities and it was disappointing.

Because we do early seating, we've missed the last few sailaways on more than one cruise line. You could have your first time in the MDR the next night. It would still give Grandma the same thrill. You wouldn't have to rush her to or from dinner.

Bad advice "IF" OP is at a shared table with other Cruisers (not family). Agree find another venue if sail away for the OP is that important.

Edited by davekathy

Agree.