All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

On 7/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, MJC said:

Laurie your mini break sounds just wonderful! Thanks for sharing your outfits. I especially like the turquoise and brown top with the bracelet. That is one of my favorite color combos.

You made me realize that I don't know which closet I have "our" top in. Hmmm better go look! I hope I didn't leave it in the city, but i think if it were here I would have worn it given our hot weather.

We had two good nights of comet viewing. Tonight it's supposed to rain AGAIN.

I've been looking at some short getaways for us in the fall. I would love to go to Niagara but the border situation eliminates that for now. So, we are thinking of touring Gettysburg, though that would mean staying in a HOTEL! Yikes. DH hasn't even been out for dinner yet. He barely leaves the house.

Even the NY side of Niagara is nice, but the ON side has so much to offer.  We've stayed in Gettysburg twice - once with family at a KOA and once just DH and I at a Bed and Breakfast outside of town.  Both options require driving to town (don't remember any shuttles), but might be an option instead of a traditional hotel.  There are also several B&B's in town but they were booked when we stayed.

We took our first food tour in Gettysburg and it still stands out as one of the best.  I got an email recently that they are still holding tours with distancing.  Gettysburg is a great town with a lot to offer.

Anita - your talk about texture painting reminds me of my Great Grandmother.  She texture painted their house with a different theme for each room.  I remember giant diamonds in the dining room and what seemed like eyes on the living room ceiling (might have been, or might have been a random design).  I know that isn't what you meant by textured, but it brought back sweet memories.

Laurie I'm sorry to hear about how your careful financial planning got sidetracked by the car issue. I know it's cold comfort, but perhaps not being able to cruise this year will give you the financial cushion you need at this time. Being such a planner, I am sure you will make it through this challenge and come out ahead. So many people have no savings at all:  it is a relief to hear about the care you are taking with your future. I worry about so many of my relatives who were not in a good financial position even before COVID-19.

Talk on the Princess boards is that with so many people being shifted to next year, 2021's prices will be sky high on what's left. We are choosing not to cruise until at least 2022 to let everything shake out and see what we are left with as far as the cruise industry goes. There are many places we haven't been to here in the US that we will consider before we cruise again. I was talking with my brother in MI yesterday about us each driving halfway and hanging out at a hotel somewhere for a couple days, just to see each other. I miss him a lot.

I am wearing one of the tank dresses I got at Steinmart in FL last September. It is one of my summer staples! Gosh that seems like a lifetime ago. So much has happened since then. It is similar to this in general style, but mine is more floral and the orange is lighter, the blue more denim, with a touch of ivory and brown. It has the same vertical stripe idea:

https://poshmark.com/listing/Dress-5c4f89ee03087c28289bf237?l_con=PREOWNED%2FUSED&utm_source=gdm&utm_campaign=9913725581&campaign_id=9913725581&ad_partner=google&gskid=pla-912650287351&gcid=432263847352&ggid=99959872305&gdid=c&g_network=g&enable_guest_buy_flow=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8ovL6LDu6gIVEAiICR3arAM3EAQYDCABEgJ1bvD_BwE

Even though DH has lived in NY his entire life, he has never been to Niagara Falls. I want our trip there to be spectacular, so I'm holding out for a falls view room on the Canadian side. 🙂

Edited by MJC
add info
  • Like 2

I currently have 3 cruises on the books for 2021. I was only planning on taking one of them. All three are booked with refundable deposits so I wasn't concerned about canceling when we had decided not to go.

I had booked a January 2021 way back. I snagged a corner aft balcony on Explorer when isn't supposed to be the best aft balconies because of the super structure of the ship BUT...I was excited for the wide view...and finally checking that off my bucket list. When I booked the cruise, I SWEAR the 5 night itinerary stopped in two ports, both of the private RCI ports but then when I was looking at the itinerary it was Labadee and Nassau (AGAIN) and so I was frustrated by that and decided to cancel the cruise...but I haven't canceled it yet. 

I still have the TA in April on the books. That's Harmony's maiden Eastern TA to go into dry dock. Was really looking forward to that cruise.

Also have an October Alaska cruise on NCL. I've never cruised NCL and I was all jazzed for this particular ship, but then DH and I decided that we would rather do a trip to Denali and not a cruise...and so I was going to cancel that one too.

I don't have any immediate travel plans. We're dealing with DS and getting him back to London for school. I've been to GA twice now this summer...not that it was very vacationy...but still...roadtrip! And with moving over to the Space Coast, I've been contemplating just exploring up and down the coast here...maybe some overnight camping. I'd still like to do the dark park, but the weather hasn't been anything I'd really want to camp in.

DS has to fly...there's no other option, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of getting on a plane...so if we went anywhere, it'd be a road trip. It wouldn't be for a while though...we have to finish moving out of the apt, get DS off to school and get some time lines sorted with DH's work. With the way his work is...we could seriously go somewhere. Kitty would be our biggest obstacle to being away.

• Like 1

We have our b2b scheduled out of Tampa on Celebrity Constellation March 8 & 19. We’re flying in on the 3rd & spending some time in Ft Myers with Les’s oldest brother. Driving back up to Tampa on 7th. I really hope this goes as the Touch Canal trip isn’t offered in 2022 & it’s my 70th bday cruise. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻.  Nothing planned before that. 

our middle grandson surprised us all & drive in from Omaha for a week. He was finally able to get leave from the AF. So good to see his face. Melody

39 minutes ago, awhfy said:

We have our b2b scheduled out of Tampa on Celebrity Constellation March 8 & 19. We’re flying in on the 3rd & spending some time in Ft Myers with Les’s oldest brother. Driving back up to Tampa on 7th. I really hope this goes as the Touch Canal trip isn’t offered in 2022 & it’s my 70th bday cruise. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻.  Nothing planned before that. 

our middle grandson surprised us all & drive in from Omaha for a week. He was finally able to get leave from the AF. So good to see his face. Melody

Hi Melody, those cruises sound lovely🙂....if I thought cruising would be going in March,  I might even join you.

My birthday is in March too!

I sailed Constellation many, many years ago and she is a really nice ship.  Hope you are able to sail.

• Like 1

Melody, how lovely that you got to see your grandson. What a nice surprise!

I looked it up and the halfway point for meeting my brother would be Youngstown, OH. It doesn't look like there's much to do, but there is a nice park and a brewery. If I drove another hour we could meet in Cleveland, where the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is. There is also a nice park along Lake Erie there. Another option would be Pittsburgh. It has a botanical garden and a zoo, plus the Andy Warhol museum (who knew). I haven't been there since high school.

The more I think about it, the more I want to do it. He and I are only one year apart and we've been very close our whole lives. I'm scouting outdoor venues where we can hang out together without too much indoor time with strangers.

I went shopping today! Our TJMaxx is now open and I wanted to get my sister a birthday present. It is the only clothing store in the area, so supporting it is really important right now. There were only five or six shoppers in the store. My sister is an ICE so I got a light blue top and earrings from new-to-me company Seed & Sage:

https://poshmark.com/listing/Flower-earrings-5eda9bc27f80d2924c507ac4

They are much prettier than they look in this picture, and the packaging is very nice, very gift appropriate.

I am desperately in need of flip flops for around the house and the yard, but they didn't have a single pair. I think they never got stocked for summer because of being closed by the virus since the spring.

Cute earrings . I shop for my SO's daughters in law plus my daughter so I am always looking for jewelry ideas . This year I was completely out of ideas and gave them all gift cards . On Sunday I was talking to some woman and I am shocked at the amount of people that will not shop on line . My Mom was 99 when she died and she shopped online until her death . She also did online banking before me . 

I am getting antsy to go somewhere ,anywhere .

• Like 1

Those are cute earrings - great price 🙂 

If you are traveling out I-80 there used to be good shopping at Grove City Outlets - one or two exits south of 80 on I-79.  I don't know much about the Ohio stops, but Erie County seems to be doing better than Allegheny with case numbers and Presque Isle is nice.  We took a decent food tour there too (still learned a lot even though I grew up in that area).  Pittsburgh does have lots to offer too.  Hope you get to meet up.

It turns out that Ohio is on the NYS quarantine list, so Pittsburgh it is. Anita, I would like to know what your procedure was for staying in the hotel. My biggest concern is the fresh air turnover, so I'm wondering if a room with its own air conditioner to the outside, like a Hampton Inn on the highway, might be a better than a highrise hotel with central air that's downtown.

Margaret...we're Marriott people so we stayed at a Fairfield Inn and then a Towneplace Suites. I believe that both rooms had independent air conditioners with the window units. 

We did check in at the front desk. I think it is possible that we could have done a contactless check in? If we used the app or something? But we did not. We wore our face masks...and I believe at the time in GA that face masks were not required? So there wasn't 100% participation. We were able to maintain some distance though...and there are plexiglass dividers now at the check in desk.

I really appreciated our set up at the Fairfield. We were ground floor, no need to use elevators...also we could use a side door entrance so we could avoid the main lobby. The room itself felt beyond clean...the Fairfield was better than Towneplace in that regard...but Towneplace also had the kitchen area...and so IDK...overall, it just didn't feel quite as clean. Maybe because there would be so much more to clean? IDK. Just my impression but there's no fact behind my feeling.

We did not act like the room was a safe place. How can I say? Without being paranoid about it, I was ultra conscious of touching my face...NOT doing that...and just doing lots of hand washing. We keep a hand sanitizer in the car and regularly use that periodically as well.

Overall, I think because we have been out and about a bit more than most...especially lately...I can say that I didn't ever feel like I was in a compromising situation. Something that would freak me out. It's all about awareness. It can get a little tiring being on that hyper alert, and trying to stay in the moment and aware of what you are doing with your hands, your surroundings, etc. 

We did not have housekeeping service the room. She was in the hallway while we were leaving and putting out the do not service sign...and she asked us personally if we wanted service and we were able to say no...and also leave the sign on the door.

We did travel a while back...for the hotel use. And there were people in the hotel. I think there was a traveling soft ball team staying there...as crazy as that sounds. And they were not wearing masks. Things may have changed since then, and different areas of the country doing different things. There was even less mask wearing in GA than there was in FL...and I don't recall when our mask mandate started to make comparisons.

I haven't been so far away...GA is just next door. But it can be eye opening to see the different responses to what is happening as you travel on the road. And a little disconcerting, especially when you see how prevalent the attitude is that makes it feel like there is nothing really going on.

Anyway...the way that I figure is that hotels need business to continue being in business and it is in their best interest to have best practices. You can make yourself crazy if you let your mind wander into all the negative potential scenarios so you just make the best choices you can and control what you can...and pray.

8 hours ago, awhfy said:

We did that cruise tears ago .It was one of my favorites . I keep eyeing it but not sure how I will feel in march.

• Like 1

We had a truly fabulous surprise today. Our son & grandson came down for the day & surprised us with our granddaughter (she lives in CA with her Mom. My heart is so full!!  They’re only here till Sunday, but I’ll take every second. Melody 

A2807214-353F-4CDE-9B7F-DC3219FB7DE0.jpeg

347617BA-EA2D-4E09-87BA-80E26CD431E1.jpeg

EDC9F882-E26F-462A-8D0B-99DD74675FB0.jpeg

8BEE7436-B83A-464E-B784-E50D804E88BE.jpeg

9A42443F-B0E4-4374-8F9A-442232167413.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailor_Sally said:

It was so nice that you got to see your family . That is the one thing about this virus that I hate . I am missing my visit with my daughter ,Sil and grandsons. 

I’m with you Sally. That is by far the worst part of this pandemic. Then there is the not knowing when it will be safe to be together again. 
Sharon

• Like 1

Thank you all for your support.  You are a great bunch of friends!

I find that I love simple tank dresses during the summer.  They are easy wear and so comfortable.  Sometimes, you can  even throw on a jeans jacket or cardigan, a nicer pair of flat sandals...it's the little things that make me feel special even if we are going someplace super casual.  

I got a swing dress at Loft that that I need to take a picture of.

I'm sorry that dress didn't work out, Margaret.  I have an olive green one  that is similar, but it is straighter, I guess you could say.  Not a swing line or a-line, but not fitted.  The down side is that the last time I wore it, I threw it in the dryer so it is a bit more like being fitted now, lol.  Oops.

I tend to throw everything in the dryer, but then I take my work clothes out while they are still pretty damp, and hang then up.  I wear a lot of no iron things and if I didn't, I'd be ironing everything.  They lie to you when they say no iron, lol.  🙂   Seriously though, when you do that, they don't shrink and having them in the dryer a short time and hanging them up takes care of the wrinkles.  I do this with knit dresses as well.

Melody, it is great that you got to see your family.  I have seen my daughter, son-in-law and grandbaby a few times, at a distance.  About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I actually held my grandson for the first time in a while.  It felt so good. They traveled out of state recently, so they are on quarantine.  She mentioned stopping by, but I told her she has a few more days left!

I'll post a picture of the baby in a bit.  He just turned 10 months old already.  You won't know it is the same baby...

• Like 1

Laurie...your grandson is such a cutie!!

Love the fabric on your new Loft dress. I like the combo of yellow and blue...such a happy combo. Do you like the print? I know you don't do prints as much...but I really like that paisley and flowers design. It's not too feminine but still strikes me as a girly paisley print.

I've been paying attention more to what really looks best on me. I'm feeling pretty confident enough to say that print has just a bit too much contrast for me. I think it would look very good on you though...I think that your coloring and style goes better with it...but for me, the fact that the print's lightest color (IDK if it's fully white or ivory or what) and darkest color (IDK if that's a black or navy) are the furthest ends of the spectrum...that makes the print just not quite right for me. The darkest and lightest have to be much closer in value for it to be a BEST print for me. And I'm finding that I tend to gravitate towards the BEST ones when I choose what to wear and rarely choose others...so they might as well never be in my closet.

We've been living with possessions that are very pared down as we move ourselves load by load. We haven't been doing much...one day is very like another...so there hasn't been the need for a variety of clothing...so I haven't missed the abundance that is still at the apt. Makes me thoughtful on what I really need. There's something kind of lovely about the weight of the things in our home being lighter...like the closets and the rooms have breathing room and airy space.

Have you read how clutter affects women's stress levels? Have we talked about this here? OMG I can't remember anymore but there are actual scientific, peer reviewed studies that show that women's cortisol and stress levels go up when they SEE clutter. Doesn't happen to men. UGH!!

More fuel for the fire of my life's goal...A place for everything, and everything in it's place. I swear it's going to happen.