All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

21 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Margaret, I’ve wondered the same thing about CWC. I get at least 2 emails a day and always about sales and shippings promo. 

About the Bliss grapefruit scent-interesting that it keeps the bugs away. I would love something like that without having to use an actual repellent that requires a shower and laundering clothing after each use. 

Sharon

I did a double take about CWC (Cold Water Creek) since that is also what we usually call our church (Christ Wesleyan Church - CWC.Life).  It might not still be around, but Avon used to make Skin-So-Soft that was a nice mild smelling lotion and also bug repellant.  I think you could even mix with water and spray your window screens with it.

A while back I saw some youtube videos about using fabric/first aid tape as a makeshift bra for certain dress styles.  I never tried it, but suspect it might work for a special occasion.  I think they sell lift tapes in stores too, but they really aren't for the more endowed 😳

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I did a double take about CWC (Cold Water Creek) since that is also what we usually call our church (Christ Wesleyan Church - CWC.Life).  It might not still be around, but Avon used to make Skin-So-Soft that was a nice mild smelling lotion and also bug repellant.  I think you could even mix with water and spray your window screens with it.

A while back I saw some youtube videos about using fabric/first aid tape as a makeshift bra for certain dress styles.  I never tried it, but suspect it might work for a special occasion.  I think they sell lift tapes in stores too, but they really aren't for the more endowed 😳

Paccruise, sorry for the CWC confusion. Yes, I have Skin So Soft bath oil and have found it does take care of ants. Have used it in places I don’t want to put bug spray. Haven’t had an aunt problem in years. Actually bought it for this purpose. So I could try rubbing it on my legs-that seems to be the bugs preferred “buffet” and see how that goes.  I’ve had this bottle for s long time so I wonder if it’s still ok to use. Smells ok. However, there may be chemicals in in that are no longer in use. So the question is, if it repels  or kills bugs, what is it doing to humans?

Sharon

• Like 1

Most of these lotions just use a citrus scent which is what the bugs don't like. Alas, my kitty doesn't like it either (citrus is what they use in those Stay-Off sprays for your furniture).

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I have worn those lift tapes and they work great (I am not well endowed ) until you have to remove them .Ouch !!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Most of these lotions just use a citrus scent which is what the bugs don't like. Alas, my kitty doesn't like it either (citrus is what they use in those Stay-Off sprays for your furniture).

Margaret, thanks for the info on the citrus. I’m going to give it a try. Interesting that your kitty doesn’t like it. Sadly, no kitties living with us but I’ll keep that in mind when I’m visiting those who do have them.

Sharon

My fave bug repellent is from Alpenglow...I even really like the smell. And it goes on like a body oil...no greasy feeling though because skin absorbs it. Just a good blend of essential oils and good carrier oils.

https://www.alpenglowskincare.com/products/alaskas-best-insect-repellent

We closed today! Easy peasy. I had wired the funds yesterday to the title company. So much easier to wire these days...I remember having to go in person to the bank and written authorization, etc...but now you can just do the whole thing online. For my bank, selecting wire transfer has a default destination of title company and alternative selection of external account. I guess there is a lot of wire fraud out there though, so getting the proper wire info from the title company is the hard part. The won't email it...you have to call or go in person. Anyway...

We met our Realtor at the house for the last walk through. She used the lockbox key to get the house key and in the house were the garage door openers and other door keys for the house. The guys were finishing up the kitchen cabinets. I was able to be there for when they put the hardware on so I was able to tell them exactly how I wanted the hardware installed! That was cool! I told the lead guy what I wanted and he gave me a funny look. Really? Yes, really... I had them install everything horizontal. And the drawer pulls are towards the top of each drawer, not centered. All the pulls are in the same direction and they are closer to the edges and so they disappear a bit more and I think it looks more streamlined. I was happy to have that opportunity to give my input!

At closing, we wore our masks. Hand sanitizer upon entering and then we went into the front conference room. It was DH and I and our Realtor. There was a large tv screen and a laptop set up...and then the title representative basically did a video conference with us. She shared her screen to mirror each page that we were signing and going through. It was well done. She didn't have to be in the room with us but she was still there telling us about each stupid page...LOL! And we could all sit there without our masks on in the room. Masks back on after signing when the exec asst came in to make copies for us and then to deliver them to us. It was all very COVID.

And the interesting page that we have had to sign repeatedly through out the process was an affirmation that COVID has not had a negative impact on our income and that our income, as represented by our historical paperwork, W2s and tax returns, and most recent paychecks is still accurate.

So anyway...I'm a happy home owner again!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

I have worn those lift tapes and they work great (I am not well endowed ) until you have to remove them .Ouch !!!!!!

I'm glad to know they work.  I would likely put some gauze fabric on the most sensitive areas to minimize pain - removal pain is something that occurred to me when I saw them.

Anita, congratulations on the new house!  It's nice that you were able to get your cabinet pulls how you want them😎

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new house Anita!  How cool you could get the drawer pulls the way you wanted them!  Can’t wait to see real pictures. Now the awful task of moving!!!

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new home purchase, Anita! Wishing you and your family many happy and memorable years there.

Thanks for the Alpenglow tip. Their site didn’t say so I am wondering if it is necessary to shower and wash your clothing after using it? That is always the advice with the more traditional repellents. Which is one of the reasons I don’t like using them, 

just seems as if washing it all off means the chemicals are somewhat harmful.

Since you have moved several times, I’m guessing you have it all together and will be all moved in quickly. Happy days ahead!

Sharon

• Like 1

I'm in my house now! We're going to do the move in phases. We have until August 21 to get out of the apartment. We also had rented a single garage on the property so our first load was to move everything in the garage as well as mattresses as desks. The interiors of the 4Runners were used to move computers, a tv, stereo, etc. I went back for one more load to get kitty and some kitchen stuff. I'm debating if I'm going to go back this morning/today to get more kitchen or not. I'm physically feeling a bit tired...a bit stiff...I've definitely NOT been doing much physical activity lately and all this bending and lifting and shifting is waking my body up. It's a good thing, I think.

• Like 2

Anita, congratulations!  I can relate fully, based on my job.  🙂  Things are different down there though the basics are the same.

I think this will be a fun process for you.  You have time to move, which is nice.  I see so many instances where we have a domino effect with closings because people need to be out their existing home the same day they close on the new one.    It will be nice for you to get the painting situated and so forth.  I really love having a home, so I share your excitement.

Do you have a pool?  It is a 100 degrees today, so I'm thinking about swimming pools, lol.

The dresses arrived.  The multicolor dress is a nice fabric with a good drape.  It fits nice, and I think I could get a lot out of it.  I am very happy that it isn't a swing dress.  

The colors are interesting.  When looking at the photos online, the colors looked very warm, until you got to the last picture.  They looked completely different.  I would say that the colors are warm, but they lean a little towards air.  They are muted for sure, but the blue fades into more of a powdery blue.  The brown is brown, and very powdery also.  I'm going to try and get a photo.  While it doesn't have the warmth I want, it is not cool.  I guess I haven't considered calling it soft earth, which would be accurate.  I think I will definitely get a lot out of it so I think it is a keeper. The final test will be trying it on with a strapless bra.

The metallic brown...I still have the same weird gap, it's just looser.  the darts that are there are not really in an ideal place for me.  While I really want to keep it, I'm going to send it back.  I toyed with the usual three ways this would be fixed, and I don't think any will work properly.  (dart, take up at an angle at the shoulder, take in the side)  I should add that the fabric is not a "soft" fabric.  It's kind of stiff.  I am thinking how that has a lot to do with how it lays, possibly.

So I am a little sad since I was looking forward to this dress.  Have you ever been in the situation where you have a few things, and one thing disappoints you and suddenly you aren't sure you want any of them?  I kind of feel that way right now so I am going to wait a day and try them on again.   I don't have to have them, but the jersey knit print dress is the kind of dress I love for cruises and going out.  

• Like 1

Anita, congratulations again on the new house.  Having time for a move definitely makes it less stressful 🙂 I experience a similar stiffness with the first go around of yard work or a heavy shoveling even though I work out quite a bit at home.  Hope the aches subside soon - BioFreeze is my friend 😉 

It's a shame about the brown dress, Laurie 😞 You aren't alone with disappointment in one item makes you question the others.  Hope a new day gives you clear perspective on what to keep and what to return.

We are so hot here - the house didn't get below 80 last night.  Keeping hydrated and glad today is budget and bills day so not as much movement.

Anita, what a luxury to be able to move in stages like you are!

Laurie. I’m sorry about the brown dress. You don’t think it’s worth taking to your alteration person to see what could be done?  That dress screamed your name. 

it’s been brutally hot here for 2 weeks & will be for at least another 10 days. I’m do glad we have central ac, we’ve been hiding inside, going out to water only very early morning or at dusk. Very unusual here for this long. It’s 8:30 am, 95 degrees already, going to be a scorcher!  Melody 

Hot here in Florida but that is usual for July . We have ac and a pool so bring on the heat . Anita,It is so nice to be able to move at a slower pace . 

Florida Covid numbers just keep on going up and they are still opening Disney World which is insane .

3 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Hot here in Florida but that is usual for July . We have ac and a pool so bring on the heat . Anita,It is so nice to be able to move at a slower pace . 

Florida Covid numbers just keep on going up and they are still opening Disney World which is insane .

Hi Sally, I know.....it is really something else.  Florida, Arizona, Texas and California are all going terribly wrong.

I saw  this morning Dade County is now having over a 30% positive rate...............30%!!!!!!!!!😲  

Well we are rocking right along with the whole moving situation. There are a couple hiccups that have happened...

First, the washer and dryer had been included in the contract. But the sellers packed up the washer and donated the dryer. To perform under contract they got a "new" pair from a used appliance place. They bought a front loader washer, which I HATE, and it is the typical grimy with mold all in the door gasket. I could replace the gasket for $50 but I have no idea how difficult that is. The dryer is a gas dryer and it makes me nervous because I could smell gas after it stopped running. SO...feeling like I need to buy a washer and dryer...

Also, when the kitchen work was being completed, they moved the fridge and there was a leak under it. The house was checked to make sure it wasn't structural, but it ended up being the fridge, which was bought used in 2000...and the repair isn't cheap. SO...feeling like I need to buy a fridge...

The difficulty is that no one makes a fridge that is what I want. 😞 I remember when it became a big deal for water and ice to be in a fridge...but I don't want it. Do you know how hard it is to find a fridge WITHOUT an ice maker? I would actually prefer a straight up freezer less fridge but those are hard to find as well that are freestanding with decent capacity.

For the laundry, which is a smaller walkthrough room from the garage...I'm looking into going vertical with the machines to make room for a deep freeze. I could put a freezer in the garage, but I think it would be better in the house. The garage is hot. I don't want a front loader washer alone, so I'm looking at all-in-ones and stackables. 

It should be fun to shop but instead it is just frustrating...

Meanwhile...DH busted out the ceiling in the master and yesterday in a matter of hours, he scrapped off the popcorn ceiling. Frankly, it was disgusting...the effect of the ceiling fan was readily apparent with a rim of dirt lodged in the popcorn. And between the evening before and yesterday evening...the wallpaper on the one wall is also GONE!

We're trying to keep moving forward by doing a bit of work each day. Today we're thinking about doing the texture on the ceiling. Definitely doing the cleaning on the wallpaper wall...getting the last little doobers. Still debating what texture we are going to do on the ceiling. I don't want anything too heavy texture-wise... Fortunately, the ceiling is only 8' tall so it is not going to be too much of a hassle...

Anita, I hate it when they are to include the washer and dryer but then switch them on you. Never happened to us but I know it does occur.

you are lucky to do a good clean up etc and have time to move in slowly.

oh...off topic...6 years today we moved into our townhouse...best decision for us, ever!

Excited for you on your new place...love your colour choices a lot.

cruzisme...happy housiversary!! Townhouses can be great...we contemplated that for a bit but I didn't want to deal with stairs and most here are two stories. I also wanted more light and the ones here end up dark. But especially if you have some nice communities features...although some of those area closed now with the whole situation.

But our apartment complex had opened back up the amenities. 

I don't want to give the wrong impression...our sellers were awesome and really good people. They just didn't pay attention to the contract and the washer and dryer had been written in. With all the DocuSign documents...they didn't notice the written in line (even though it was in the first paragraph of the contract...) but they had lived in this house for 20 years so it'd been a while since they had dealt with any real estate contracts...whatever.

I said stackables but I meant stacked. I want to go vertical in the laundry room to free up the floor space...

So we hit up Lowes and Home Depot and just looked and looked at the fridges...then scrapped the idea of not getting the water and ice maker and just looked at features and I found a really awesome fridge. It's not cheap...and it makes me nervous to buy because my expectations are higher for performance...and all the features...more stuff to break and go wrong...but DH is repeatedly talking about how I deserve great tools and good things for the things I enjoy and I do love to cook....and have been frustrated a lot with kitchen assets, I guess you could call them...

Its storming here right now so a good time to hole up and research. In Home Depot, the worker said that appliances have a huge lead time right now because of all the shut downs because of COVID. 

Quick thought here. But if they took the washer and dryer, you need a fridge, etc., that isn't all bad.  You can get energy efficient items that you wil have for many years to come, and they will be exactly what you want.  I know they aren't cheap though.  

• Like 1

It would have been better if they gave you a credit for the washer & dryer  rather than getting a used pair . As for fridges be wary of LG . I had an LG french door that died at three and a half years and it was not cheap . Plus getting service was a joke . 

On our last cruise I met a couple and they had a townhouse in Orlando with an elevator . I have seen some of the town homes around here come wired for an elevator that you can add when needed. 

• Like 1

Laurie...very true...and something that we would have done eventually...budgetwise, it is just reprioritizing expenditures...it was just something I was hoping to put off a bit.

Sally...I'm actually looking at a Whirlpool model. It has all the features that I could ever want. So I've flipped from a no frills fridge idea to getting the most decked out fridge. LOL.