No more Bistro on 5 on Reflection

cruiserone

I like the concept of a changing restaurant....but the most exciting part of this concept is looking forward to all the people who will post on CC that they just despise BBQ, hate deli sandwiches, and any other type of food Celebrity moves through that space. Oh, how I look forward to all those complaints and the extremely long threads about how little celebrity knows, how expensive the restaurant is, how icky the food is and of course, how the offerings don't fit their likes and diets (and let's not forget the posts about how much they now miss the sushi restaurant so much).

Let the threads begin........

I just had to smile at this. I realize that you are a lng time Celebrity cruiser, so you must like them, but based on reading your posts it occurred to me that despite that, you are often a vocal critic of Celebrity's questionable changes. Not so in this instance. I guess you like sushi.

I just had to smile at this. I realize that you are a lng time Celebrity cruiser, so you must like them, but based on reading your posts it occurred to me that despite that, you are often a vocal critic of Celebrity's questionable changes. Not so in this instance. I guess you like sushi.

The changes I generally am vocal about are the ones made with no announcement and are clearly "take away" items eg the short change of the classic drink package. I applaud changes in menus, bars, food areas as long as they aren't clearly offering less. In this case, Bistro on 5, like Quasar, are essentially unused spaces and I think Celebrity is trying to make them profit centers rather than space for the officers to hang out. I do like sushi and I'll try it if I find myself on a ship with the option...and if the next one is BBQ, count me out, but I won't diss them for trying something new....people should vote with their $'s, not here. I've voted with my dollars on the aqua class changes...we're now booking 1A's (and other higher end cruise lines).

I'm also pretty vocal when celebrity claims something they aren't...marketing hype stuff....and the cutbacks in aqua class...I mean taking away bottled water is really pretty sleazy/cheap/(fill in the blank) IMHO. No I still have no idea what marco polo is in the ad and why it matters to the demographic they are after...and having spent many years in a variety of computer/web jobs, I guess I climb aboard whenever someone comments on Celebrity's web site.

I try to call them as I see them...I'm certainly not a celebrity fan boy...on the other hand, I continually refer to them as the best of the mass market cruise lines....although I admit that since all of them are going downhill in what they provide, best is relative. I've also introduced some friends to Celebrity who don't want to spend the $'s for the higher end cruise lines.

Edited by ghstudio

Does complaining about people complaining count? I think that's really something to look forward to.;)

LOL! People trying to shut down other people by calling them complainers ... without recognizing that they themselves are complaining ... it's a vicious cycle which is never resolved by saying "I don't want to complain ... but here's my complaint about your complaint."

LOL! People trying to shut down other people by calling them complainers ... without recognizing that they themselves are complaining ... it's a vicious cycle which is never resolved by saying "I don't want to complain ... but here's my complaint about your complaint."

:rolleyes:

Is it still cool to make Inception jokes?

Looks great.

We are sushi lovers and also raw bar lovers--so will be trying both the Sushi on Five and the Porch raw bar offerrings.

Thanks for menu post 167

Edited by Fogfog

The changes I generally am vocal about are the ones made with no announcement and are clearly "take away" items eg the short change of the classic drink package. I applaud changes in menus, bars, food areas as long as they aren't clearly offering less. In this case, Bistro on 5, like Quasar, are essentially unused spaces and I think Celebrity is trying to make them profit centers rather than space for the officers to hang out. I do like sushi and I'll try it if I find myself on a ship with the option...and if the next one is BBQ, count me out, but I won't diss them for trying something new....people should vote with their $'s, not here. I've voted with my dollars on the aqua class changes...we're now booking 1A's (and other higher end cruise lines).

I'm also pretty vocal when celebrity claims something they aren't...marketing hype stuff....and the cutbacks in aqua class...I mean taking away bottled water is really pretty sleazy/cheap/(fill in the blank) IMHO. No I still have no idea what marco polo is in the ad and why it matters to the demographic they are after...and having spent many years in a variety of computer/web jobs, I guess I climb aboard whenever someone comments on Celebrity's web site.

I try to call them as I see them...I'm certainly not a celebrity fan boy...on the other hand, I continually refer to them as the best of the mass market cruise lines....although I admit that since all of them are going downhill in what they provide, best is relative. I've also introduced some friends to Celebrity who don't want to spend the $'s for the higher end cruise lines.

Wish we had a LIKE button:D

I hope they continue to champion "pop up" restaurants as this adds variety and allows them to test a concept without forcing them to keep it. Even at $5 per head Bistro on 5 was always empty on Eclipse, so I welcome change - I had heard that they were now allowing it to be used as an overflow for Cafe Bacio in the afternoon, which is a great idea...

Mmm, sounds like an improvement over the previous sandwiches.

Yeah, but with Subway you only get one slice of meat. At the Deli bar you can pile it on. :D

I frequent the Deli bar during lunch, but in the early evening, I don't need a huge sandwich -- I just want something to snack on before dinner.

I do not know if it will be different in the evening, but I agree with Mike it was good in the afternoon. Different breads and I enjoy the panini's and egg salad. A good place to get chips if you want any.

I am in the camp that it is a very underutilized area and Celebrity should try different things. I do wonder what will replace the free lunch on port days when the Luminae is closed for suite guests.

I am in the camp that it is a very underutilized area and Celebrity should try different things. I do wonder what will replace the free lunch on port days when the Luminae is closed for suite guests.

According to recent posts, the Porch replaces the Luminae.

Those who don't like seafood aren't impressed.

Some of us who DO love seafood aren't impressed either. It isn't a true "raw bar" as nothing is truly raw. The seafood tower is filled with many items, all marinated in the same marinade, making everything taste the same. The shrimp cocktail was tasty, but everything else my wife and I tried was disappointing. Oh, well. There are other choices on board.

If you want good seafood you have to come where I live in Nova Scotia and forget a cruise.

Is that an invitation? :) As Haligonians now living in Ottawa, we get back every couple of years, and last year saw things from a slightly different perspective with a Canada/New England cruise. We loved it, but decided it would be far better in future to drive down as we normally do.

Some of us who DO love seafood aren't impressed either. It isn't a true "raw bar" as nothing is truly raw. The seafood tower is filled with many items, all marinated in the same marinade, making everything taste the same. The shrimp cocktail was tasty, but everything else my wife and I tried was disappointing. Oh, well. There are other choices on board.

Thats too bad.

A decent lobster roll, or lobster tail would be great.

Well I will see what it is in 4 weeks :)

:eek:

How can the Porch-- open to everyone-- replace Luminae?

Luminae is the dining room for Suite pax

Luminae is not open for lunch on port days even though it was originally advertised to everyone that it was available for all meals. When they closed it for lunch, suite guests were allowed to eat in Bistro on 5 for free (although I guess you had to know to ask about it because they certainly didn't say anything two weeks ago to me).

:eek:

How can the Porch-- open to everyone-- replace Luminae?

Luminae is the dining room for Suite pax

Luminae is not open for lunch on port days even though it was originally advertised to everyone that it was available for all meals. When they closed it for lunch, suite guests were allowed to eat in Bistro on 5 for free (although I guess you had to know to ask about it because they certainly didn't say anything two weeks ago to me).

To close the loop, with Bistro on 5 being reinvented as Sushi on 5 and the decision to only open it at night, the suite guests have now been offered the Porch to replace Luminae on port days. Or so posters have said, as I haven't been aboard and have read nothing official from Celebrity.

Thats too bad.

A decent lobster roll, or lobster tail would be great.

Well I will see what it is in 4 weeks :)

If you want decent lobster you need to book one of the ultra luxury lines as opposed to a regular mass market line....which is now where Celebrity fits into the industry. When we first started cruising X (many years ago) we thought it was several steps above a mass market line. But in the past 2 years, with changes at the top of the company, there seems to be a new business plan to take X down to a budget mass market line. Charging higher prices does not always equate to better quality....and this seems to be a good description of X. Their new motto is probably something like "cruise X and get less for more" with the "more" referring to the price. We figure X's CEO is probably planning a 10,000 passenger vessel with Horn and Hardart being hired to resurrect Automats (which can be activated with your cruise card) as the substitute for the Lido and MDR. Opps. Better be quiet because it might give her ideas :(.

But we do know how to get great lobster on X. Simply book a fall Canada/NE cruise and enjoy some of your lunches ashore where you can get great lobster (and we are not talking warm water frozen lobster tails).

Hank

To close the loop, with Bistro on 5 being reinvented as Sushi on 5 and the decision to only open it at night, the suite guests have now been offered the Porch to replace Luminae on port days. Or so posters have said, as I haven't been aboard and have read nothing official from Celebrity.

and nothing on the website says the porch is Suites pax only on port days (lunch)

It is a Fee restaurant. Perhaps the difference is Suite class don't pay the upcharge$?

We figure X's CEO is probably planning a 10,000 passenger vessel with Horn and Hardart being hired to resurrect Automats (which can be activated with your cruise card) as the substitute for the Lido and MDR. Opps. Better be quiet because it might give her ideas :(.

Hank

They can tie it in with the apple store theme and call it iEat. Since millennials have no idea what an automat is it will be a new technical concept for them.

Edited by Iamcruzin