If you want a Meet and Great, please show up

SeaBands

I scheduled one recently and had over 20 couples on the roll call and only 6 showed up and they were polite Canadians. So much wasted food!

As an organizer, I hear you and feel your pain.

And while I know we are all adults, I have found that delivering invites helps to remind people and our turn outs have been pretty decent ;)

For those that don't go on roll calls nor come to meet and greets, I encourage you to give it a shot. Every roll call varies of curse, but we have always had a lot of fun on ours - so it is a real joy to finally meet everyone :)

And contrary to rumour, roll calls are not just about private tours and they are not discussed ar our meet and greets ;)

I have met so many wonderful people and life long friends this way:)

The roll call for my next cruise has been very busy. I'm not interested in the tours that have been set up and some of the activities. In my last meet and greet I happened to be talking about the economy in Alberta. I was told by one poster "who cares about Alberta" ? This was a fellow Canadian. I don't need people like that in my life. Frankly I've made more friendships on ships in random meetings and in the cabana area. I had a great time in the cabanas last time. It's like a community :).

I think if you say you are going to go you really should.

To the OP: I am sorry for the poor turn out of your M&G. It's a bit rude to say you are coming, then not show up.

I have enjoyed the roll call I am on now. I have gotten a lot of valuable information from fellow cruisers & have been able to share some of my own knowledge. I have enjoyed just chatting & getting to know people I will be sharing a ship with for 19 days. Personally, I am looking forward to meeting the people I have been chatting with. It isn't for everyone, but in the past I enjoyed seeing the people I met at the M&G around the ship. Many ideas about what to do in each port have been exchanged on my current roll call. It's a personal choice whether you join in or not, but if you aren't going to attend the M&G, you shouldn't sign up for it. I'm looking forward to ours & hope we have a good turn out.

As I sit here making over 150 personalized name tags for the Meet and Greet on our upcoming Westerdam cruise I can only hope that those who have indicated that they will attend will do so. I too have met many on the Roll Call and at the M&G who have become life long friends.

This is another reason why I never sign up for roll calls. I would not just fail to show up but I have no idea if I'd want to go when deciding months in advance. When I'm away, I don't like to make any more commitments than absolutely necessary. I want to do what I want when I want and not do what I don't want.

Ditto

As I sit here making over 150 personalized name tags for the Meet and Greet on our upcoming Westerdam cruise I can only hope that those who have indicated that they will attend will do so. I too have met many on the Roll Call and at the M&G who have become life long friends.

I'll be there for sure, if only to get another of your wonderful keepsake name tags for my collection. :D

Just because I sign up on a roll call, it doesn't mean I will attend a meet and greet.

Absolutely correct. just because someone joins a roll call does not mean thy want to come to the meet and greet. If I am doing the meet and greet I ask if they want to come and only count those in the numbers tat say yes.;)

Not showing up when you have said you would is like sending an RSVP card for a wedding saying you'll be there, then not showing up. The organizer has gone to a bit of trouble on your behalf, the polite thing to do is show up & express your thanks.

Absolutely.

Those nametags are always so nice gigianne :). We are lucky to have you on the roll call and willing to spend your artistic time to make them :). Thankfully, I had most of the invites done before I had my surgery - just had to do another 70 :p

Looking forward to our cruise and our meet and greet :)

I agree with Tom-n-Cheryl. M&Gs are different on different cruise lines. Like he said, NCL is one of the best. We always go to them. The Hotel Director, Food and Beverage, Master Chef, Housekeeping, and more, including the Cruise Director always show up, every time. I'm sure it's in all their calendars for the first sea @ 11:00 AM every cruise. Sometimes the Captain attends too. They introduce themselves, and present everyone with a card with all their names, and direct telephone numbers, in case you need anything (and they do respond). They stop at your table and ask you directly if there's anything they can do for you. You actually get to know these folks over time, and they know you. NCL pays attention to cruise critic, and they don't want bad reviews.

From a cruisers perspective, On NCL, with no set dinner times, if you're going to meet other passengers, the M&G is one good way to do it.

On HAL, I wouldn't even recommend putting one together. No officer involvement, and frankly, most HAL cruisers aren't interested. While there are exceptions, it's risky to attempt. I'd just have an informal sail away at a bar. If no one shows, no harm no foul. I'd probably be having a drink somewhere at that time anyway.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

Every M&G that we have attended on a HAL ship has been well attended - even with or without officer involvement. A successful M&G depends on good organization. I do not go to a M&G to meet the officer's - I go to put a face to a name that I have been "involved" with on a successful Roll Call. Without having gone to those M&G I would not have a lot of the good friends that I have today.

I agree with Tom-n-Cheryl. M&Gs are different on different cruise lines. Like he said, NCL is one of the best. We always go to them. The Hotel Director, Food and Beverage, Master Chef, Housekeeping, and more, including the Cruise Director always show up, every time. I'm sure it's in all their calendars for the first sea @ 11:00 AM every cruise. Sometimes the Captain attends too. They introduce themselves, and present everyone with a card with all their names, and direct telephone numbers, in case you need anything (and they do respond). They stop at your table and ask you directly if there's anything they can do for you. You actually get to know these folks over time, and they know you. NCL pays attention to cruise critic, and they don't want bad reviews.

From a cruisers perspective, On NCL, with no set dinner times, if you're going to meet other passengers, the M&G is one good way to do it.

On HAL, I wouldn't even recommend putting one together. No officer involvement, and frankly, most HAL cruisers aren't interested. While there are exceptions, it's risky to attempt. I'd just have an informal sail away at a bar. If no one shows, no harm no foul. I'd probably be having a drink somewhere at that time anyway.

Bolding is mine. I'm curious on what basis you are making these statements,

My experience is the opposite and I've done a few meet and greets in my time and assisted in others. Most of our roll call members have been interested.

Attendees at past meet and greets were at 100 on several cruises and we have 174 registered for our upcoming cruise.

Just because you're not interested (underlined in your post) is no reason to discourage others

...NCL is one of the best. We always go to them. The Hotel Director, Food and Beverage, Master Chef, Housekeeping, and more, including the Cruise Director always show up, every time. ...

Five years ago (this week!) on the Epic :

DSC01535-L.jpg

DSC01543-M.jpg

Tom

Every M&G that we have attended on a HAL ship has been well attended - even with or without officer involvement. A successful M&G depends on good organization. I do not go to a M&G to meet the officer's - I go to put a face to a name that I have been "involved" with on a successful Roll Call. Without having gone to those M&G I would not have a lot of the good friends that I have today.

well said, and ditto for me.

Carol

One thing I have seen on roll call boards is that someone keeps a list of who is planning on attending the meet & greet and then publishes it on the roll call, updating it when someone wants to be added (or deleted). This keeps the meet & greet fresh on people's minds and gets them more excited about attending (I think).

So true - lifelong friends who cruise together again, and/or stay in touch through other means, and meet up again in different parts of the world. Win-win!:)

We have found that M&Gs seem to have their own atmosphere which is sometimes great and other times not so good. If we show-up at a M&G we usually get a quick feeling if it is going to be fun...or just a bore (or worse). There have been times we walked in the room, stayed for about 30 seconds, and then quietly exited. Other times our M&Gs have turned into a multi-hour social time where new friends were made.

The last time we went to a HAL M&G, one lady (a passenger) was walking around the room telling everyone to "please do not talk about private tours because it might insult the Officers." We were sitting with about a dozen folks and all of us quickly left to the room.

Hank

Bolding is mine. I'm curious on what basis you are making these statements,

My experience is the opposite and I've done a few meet and greets in my time and assisted in others. Most of our roll call members have been interested.

Attendees at past meet and greets were at 100 on several cruises and we have 174 registered for our upcoming cruise.

Just because you're not interested (underlined in your post) is no reason to discourage others

I can only speak from our experience. I've not been on a large number of HAL cruises, we're just getting close to 3 star. So, you have broader experience. I've never been to a successful Cruise Critic M&G on a HAL ship, although we've tried. Last year one was planned in the computer center. When we got there, It was only us. I've given up on them on HAL. If we don't learn from past....

I believe the M&G you may be referring to were the ones that HAL tried to arrange by advertising them on FB. The computer centre is where those get togethers were held. Any M&G that I attended were held in the Crow's Nest or the Explorers Lounge.

I can only speak from our experience. I've not been on a large number of HAL cruises, we're just getting close to 3 star. So, you have broader experience. I've never been to a successful Cruise Critic M&G on a HAL ship, although we've tried. Last year one was planned in the computer center. When we got there, It was only us. I've given up on them on HAL. If we don't learn from past....

I believe the M&G you may be referring to were the ones that HAL tried to arrange by advertising them on FB. The computer centre is where those get togethers were held. Any M&G that I attended were held in the Crow's Nest or the Explorers Lounge.

It sounds like gigianne is right.

Just to clarify, the Meet and Greets I am referencing (and the OP) are Meet and Greets organized on the CC Roll Call. Arrangements are made with Hal (unless an informal one is desired fir a smaller group) for the venue. Crow's Nest is a typical spot. For our upcoming one we are using the Xulinary Centre,

Give your roll call's meet and greet a shot and hopefully you will see a big difference ;)

That's HAL's facebook roll call. I cannot imagine having a M&G on embarkation day in such an awful location. That's why no one turns up!

Not to be confused with a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, which is totally different, and most arrange them for first sea day in the Captain's Corner of the Crows Nest. We have had as many as 100+ people at an M&G, so obviously it spilled out to that whole side of the Crows Nest. Very successful and very friendly.