What has happened to older Australians ( cruising related)

bazzaw

No dears we always try to be on trend, and on trend at the moment is blue or purple hair, all the youngsters are doing it, so we could all be quite fashionable with our 3/4 pants, short purple/blue/pink hair, and just to top it all off swanning around in our crochet Paula Stafford bikinis (oh how I wish I had a pair back in the day)... Ok whose up for a photo????? Anyone game???

Do it.:D

If you're game enough to wear it I'm game enough to look.:D

BTW I was very bold yesterday and bought my very first pair of cargo pants/shorts, I'm 71.:p

Such a rebel.:p

My dad s 87, he retired from full time work when he was 72, (still works couple of days a week) wore khaki pants and shirt (in a material that wasn't far removed from denim) every day of his life. Would never, and I do mean never wear jeans, "young mug pants". Now he has them on just about every time I see him.

My dad s 87, he retired from full time work when he was 72, (still works couple of days a week) wore khaki pants and shirt (in a material that wasn't far removed from denim) every day of his life. Would never, and I do mean never wear jeans, "young mug pants". Now he has them on just about every time I see him.

Times change, sometimes people do as well.:D

No dears we always try to be on trend, and on trend at the moment is blue or purple hair, all the youngsters are doing it,

I went through the pink or purple or blue hair (streaks) a few years ago, when it was trendy for us older folk (local mayor had great pink streaks at one point). I think it's a bit passe at the moment. ;)

I'd be tempted to go full purple but growing it out would be too much of a pain, I'm just recovering from growing out the blonde. Think I'll stick to silver for a while.

We are of the older gen. weight 72ks and 66 ks, not admitting age, but would probably be classified as the very old, cruise around 3 times a year. We don't complain, enjoy every cruise accept that not everything is perfect. Know how annoying it can be getting caught behind some very slow passengers, but our thoughts are " there but by the grace of God go us"

Well said. 'Problem' (for want of a better word) people come from all 'corners' of the world, we have found. Actually we have found most fellow passengers to be lovely - and our annoyance re the rude pax to be only momentary. And yes, every time there is someone slow in front of us, I try to be patient and be glad I don't need a walker or wheelchair - yet, anyway. :D

My best friend & I did our first cruise on Dawn Princess in 2009 for 14 nights around NZ.

I was 23, she was 25. The average age of our fellow cruisers was 72 & there were less than 25 of us under 30yrs old- (including small children!!!)

We still had a LOT of fun & it meant we were always first off the ship & front of lines cos we could beat everyone there!!! Lol!!!

Hahahaha, we oldies will give you a run for your money!!!!!:D The only time my DH walks fast is if there is a queue forming! :cool::p

I've observed many young whingers, not just cruisers, and have the satisfaction of knowing something that they don't seem to realise yet.

They are going to be old one day!

LOL, Russell, so true. There is a lot of intolerance out there. Thankfully, I've kept my sense of humour. I just feel so lucky to be able to cruise at all.

(Even luckier because 5 weeks today I'll be sailing.........God willing.) :D

Nothing to do with age really, however, it does tend to be either the oldies or the young ones that do it. However, I cannot stand it when people congregate in the corridors or door ways to have a chat. The only way to get past is to walk through the group.:(

Walking Frames and Scooters don't worry me as we take the stairs 99% of the time, even from low down to high up. We leave the lifts for people that truly need them - combine that with the fact I am naturally a fast walker who scouts out alternative routes while traversing an area, it is not often that a slower person holds me up. I need to be in a real bottleneck situation for that to happen. In a corridor a very polite 'excuse me' usually gets me past anyone wandering slowly down the middle.

As for 3/4 pants, well fortunately though I turn the 'big six oh' in a couple of weeks, my legs aren't too bad so I can get away with mid length shorts but do have a couple of pairs of stylish 3/4 pants so I must be on the downward slide :eek: One pair is in denim - does that redeem them :D

As for my hair, I would love to have silver hair but I am one of those few people that are not going grey or silver, and what people don't realise is that though your hair is still brown, it goes really drab and faded, so I do swoosh it up with golden highlights - so while it is short I must look trendy :cool:

However I have one big failure in the style stakes - I like a bit of elastic in the waist of my trousers/shorts etc. I'm afraid I am now ready to be put out to pasture.

However I have one big failure in the style stakes - I like a bit of elastic in the waist of my trousers/shorts etc. I'm afraid I am now ready to be put out to pasture.

Don't worry, even my Tux trousers have a little bit of stretch in them to allow for cruising. I call them my expander pants.

Ah but Mic I can't use an expanding waistline as an excuse. I work in a sedentary job and with all those stairs I climb and decks I promenade, I actually loose weight on a cruise (not much so I reason what I gain with eating I lose with exercise and they balance one another out).

No I am afraid the elastic in the waistline of my clothes is purely comfort over style. I must admit I wear low healed shoes too now, and even (I'll whisper this) Crocs! (admittedly the more stylish ones not the clogs).

Ah but Mic I can't use an expanding waistline as an excuse. I work in a sedentary job and with all those stairs I climb and decks I promenade, I actually loose weight on a cruise (not much so I reason what I gain with eating I lose with exercise and they balance one another out).

No I am afraid the elastic in the waistline of my clothes is purely comfort over style. I must admit I wear low healed shoes too now, and even (I'll whisper this) Crocs! (admittedly the more stylish ones not the clogs).

Stylish crocs hey :rolleyes:, have you got a photo?

Very comfy, got another pair in navy blue and white. Perfect for cruising

Just worked out how to put an image in, being meaning to overcome this issue for ages, if nothing else this thread has enabled me to master pasting an image right into my replies :D:D:D

Croc_zpsylioarc1.jpg

Just worked out how to put an image in, being meaning to overcome this issue for ages, if nothing else this thread has enabled me to master pasting an image right into my replies :D:D:D

Croc_zpsylioarc1.jpg

Mrs gut needs to k ow, is the top rubber?

Mrs gut needs to k ow, is the top rubber?

Yes it is, but because they do not hug your feet (nice and roomy) and there are plenty of air holes and there is the nobbly bits on the sole, so my feet do not sweat. Also if they are a bit snug you just need to put them in very hot water and then stretch them a bit and they loosen up.

I have a Mary Jane pair as well that I use for walking, they get covered in sand, sea and mud, I just rinse them off and they are good to go.

They do canvas uppers as well in the boat shoes but I think they would be hot.

There are some gorgeous Crocs these days. I have some similar to these, only they are bright pink and purple. I bought them in Singapore. A friend there used to wear them, in a more subdued colouring, to work. I've only seen the black ones in Australia. They are great for around the ship on hot days, especially around the pool areas.

crocs_zpsaqlwrbyl.jpg

Croc_zpsylioarc1.jpg

Much better pic to look at. I think it is still a little bit like a boat shoe crossed with a sandal/croc.