What has happened to older Australians ( cruising related)

bazzaw

Indeed. I hadn't realised there were so many paramedics on cruises who were urgently called to emergencies elsewhere. If you are in such a hurry on vacation, perhaps slowing down is bloody good for you!

Women spend their whole lives getting told what to look like and what to wear and how it is our job to be pretty for others. I have reached the age where I am not going to stand by and watch the self confidence of others be shaken by anyone who thinks they have the right to tell me what to wear or to colour my hair. Not matter if they use the old favourite that "they are just joking". Next thing they will be telling me to "smile".

Indeed. I hadn't realised there were so many paramedics on cruises who were urgently called to emergencies elsewhere. If you are in such a hurry on vacation, perhaps slowing down is bloody good for you!

Women spend their whole lives getting told what to look like and what to wear and how it is our job to be pretty for others. I have reached the age where I am not going to stand by and watch the self confidence of others be shaken by anyone who thinks they have the right to tell me what to wear or to colour my hair. Not matter if they use the old favourite that "they are just joking". Next thing they will be telling me to "smile".

If they tried that they'd definitely get a "snarl". ;) :D

The fashion police would hate my clothing too - I like natural fabrics whenever possible (cotton and linen mostly, silk can be too hot for me sometimes) and wear loose, comfortable linen beach pants and cotton tshirts during the day. Of course, I do dress up at night and so wear synthetics occasionally. I like to look nice for my husband, but my days of conforming to the edicts of the fashion police are well and truly over.

When I'm not wearing sandals (Merrell, Easy Steps or Supersoft, thanks to having a wide foot), I love my pinky/purple Skechers and my black Ferragamo flats. Perhaps the latter will suit the Fashion Police. :D

Indeed Mic, dress smart for those 'free upgrades.' Now comrades, I have booked Business Premier Class on Air NZ, Syd-LA in November, so will they let me into seat 1K in my T shirt, board shorts and thongs? Or will I have to put on my Lowes suit?

Perhaps you can find some middle ground and wear a polo shirt and sports jacket with your trousers.:D

I think for business class Havianas are appropriate foot wear

Not on Qantas, they won't let you into the Business Class lounge wearing thongs. There was a big fuss about some celebrity being denied access to the lounge in Sydney (I think) as she was wearing thong-style flat sandals. Not sure about onboard their planes though.

Air NZ might be different, of course.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Not on Qantas, they won't let you into the Business Class lounge wearing thongs. There was a big fuss about some celebrity being denied access to the lounge in Sydney (I think) as she was wearing thong-style flat sandals. Not sure about onboard their planes though.

Air NZ might be different, of course.

Ironically, once on board you can change into the Qantas Pyjamas that they give you.

On our first cruise, December 2014, I saw so many elegant women with natural hair colour - silver, white, grey, or salt and pepper - that I decided to give up the expensive salon hair colouring and see what I looked like au natural. I am delighted with the result and enjoy being a silver-top, and the money I save annually helps with the cruise budget.

And yes, my hair is short. It is also very straight and very fine and has a mind of it's own - even professional hairdressers have had problems trying to style my hair in the past. Since I loathe the smell and feel of most styling products I happily leave my hair to fall naturally into the shape it is cut to. I do have it cut regularly BTW. I'm sorry that my "short no style undyed" hair offends you but I'd rather look like that than someone trying to turn the clock back by over-styling their hair - and I've seen plenty of that on cruises as well as in local shopping centres.

I was trying to work a good reply to the grey hair post and your reply is exactly what I wanted to say. Well said [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to look at so many 3/4 length pants...

...It's those 3/4 pants that are wide in the leg that may anyone look short & dumpy that I'm referring to, so if you have those burn them quick before anyone else finds out...

Not all men have the legs (or the socks :eek:) to carry off this look:

image_zpskkcwdlp8.jpeg~original

Edited by Sparky74

You guys are too funny - pity some of the ladies on here are getting all heavy.

Ladies, my original comment was not meant to deeply offend those fond of the grey hair & 3/4 pants look - if that is what you want to do then you will - obviously. If you are confident in your look that will shine through - if not maybe give something new a try. :)

In fairness it's not just the older crowd who enjoy a good whinge. We met a gentleman (?) on a tender who told us he enjoyed Italian food so much he booked an MSC cruise. Not once did they have pizza or Spaghetti Bolognese in the MDR! He was thoroughly disgruntled[emoji23][emoji23]

I did an MSC cruise where some people whined that the food wasn't like the real Italian good like the neighborhood place

In New Jersey

You guys are too funny - pity some of the ladies on here are getting all heavy.

Ladies, my original comment was not meant to deeply offend those fond of the grey hair & 3/4 pants look - if that is what you want to do then you will - obviously. If you are confident in your look that will shine through - if not maybe give something new a try. :)

You would have a field day with me - I am lucky to wear makeup twice a year, same applies to jewellery. I dressed up ONCE on our cruise and even that was 'only' smart casual - could not wait to get out of the gear and war paint cleaned off and back into my daggy comfortable clothes. Not everyone feels the need to impress others - or take a regimented approach to eating on their cruise. For some it is the only time to enjoy such a wide variety of foods. Perhaps stop worrying about OTHERS outside of work. I do feel some of the posts in here come across somewhat patronising.

Edited by chezzyr

Perhaps you can find some middle ground and wear a polo shirt and sports jacket with your trousers.:D

OK Chief, will do. Got to look the part, no jamas issued to the pointy end on Air NZ though, cheapskates, but then maybe Kiwis don't wear them. LOL, just socks and eye shades, now that is good sleeping attire.

...... talk about taking the wind out of your sails !!

- please tell me this is a one off - judgmental soooo

- do your own thing, dress your own way, eat your own style and live your own life

I'm so lucky.

Once I worried about doing and dressing right.

Now there are maybe half a dozen people in the world whose opinion I care about.

Mainly Mrs Gut, and she is mad enough to love me unconditionally.

I don't go out of my way to offend, but if someone is offended bacuase I want chips with my lobster or tomato sauce with my steak, or by what I wear, that's their bad luck.

But if there is a dress code I try to comply with it, in my opinion just courtesy.

As I said I don't go out of my way to offend.

Oh dear ladies what am I going to do with you! :D

I shop at Millers as well now & again - nothing wrong with that, but it's WHAT you buy NOT where you buy it that makes the difference.

Here you go - stylish Millers outfit for you both $110.

I bet regardless of your shape or size if you bought a pair of bootleg jeans & one of the classic jackets they have at Millers that I saw this week, over a simple plain T-Shirt, nice necklace & with some comfy but stylish flat shoes, you would both look loads better than dressing like you are already a senior! That is a classic look anyone can wear & doesn't have to cost the earth.

Not bad for a winter wardrobe, but why would I want to wear that on a cruise?

Jeans - far too hot indoors on a cruise ship but might be OK on cold days outdoors.

Jacket - very nice but why would I wear a jacket like that on a cruise ship? And if it's cold outside I'm more likely to wear a fleece or a wind-proof rain jacket (or both).

Top - 3/4 sleeves is not a good look on me, I avoid it wherever possible.

Shoes - look reasonable but fit and comfort is are the key elements.

People differ in what they feel is comfortable. Those of us who have reached menopause and suffered from its effects, and others who may have similar effects brought on by certain medications, suddenly discover they have to dress to be cool. That means natural fabrics and looser clothing for a start.

Oh, and BTW, I am a senior and proud of it.

I know we are all having some fun with this thread - but there is quite a lot involved with how people dress & our initial perceptions (right or wrong) - it's human psychology 101 - people can ignore it all they like, but you can't change human nature.

As part of my business I keep up with studies on visual perceptions. You would be amazed at the subconscious decisions we make on how to interact with a business based on how their website looks, or how the staff are dressed, if the office is tidy or not. Taking a little time to care about visual appearance isn't just some shallow vanity, it can affect how you will be treated in this world. It may not be what we want to think is true, it may not be a comfortable idea, but it's still a fact.

Been there, done that, for over 40 years! Now I just have fun fooling people who judge me on the colour of my hair and the comfortable clothes I am wearing, and don't realise that I still have the same active brain that I had when I dressed for business. :D