What has happened to older Australians ( cruising related)

bazzaw

Both of us are "oldies" in our 70s. He is a bit slow and uses a walking stick for security. We are always last off the bus and plane. We always try to be considerate towards younger or fitter pax and try not to hold people up. We sit at the back of the theatre. Our health and weight is good. We cruise to have a great and relaxing holiday which we could never afford while raising children and paying off our home. But I also have a grip at people in motorised buggies who have no speed limit and think they have right of way all over the ship, force their way into elevators when there is obviously not enough room. We have even got out of a lift to let one women force her way in. Wheel chairs and walkers fine but these motorised things should be restricted for safety reason alone.:eek:

Here are my perceptions.

We are mid 60s.

Princess (1 cruise) oldest demographic we've experienced, scooters, zimmers, sticks, even oxygen bottles. Followed closely by;

Royal C (1 cruise). I think both of these, Princess ans Royal, are popular with pensioners and self funded retirees on limited income due to pricing.

HAL (2 cruises) Mobile retired oldies, very few mobility aids noticed.

Celebrity (4 cruises) Good age mix, mostly retirees, but fewer family groups.

Carnival (1 cruise) Largely family oriented 30s/40s, throw in grandparents too and mobility aids. It was this 30/40 group that, to us, seemed to have the weight problems and drinking to excess. One bloke we heard boasted, to a captive group in a lift, that it was his aim to drink at least 10 cans of beer a day, every day of the cruise. Muffin tops abounded as well as tats. Plates piled high breakfast, lunch and dinner.

If you're 70 and you thought they were old, they must've been 90-100+ huh? Time to make a HAL joke!

Well - certainly the full gamut or the 70's and 80's :) -- to be honest, there were quite a few of all ages who used the ships gym and did some "serious" walking around the promenade deck (10-20 laps at a time) - LOTS of 1-2 laps strollers too !! :(

I may have emphasised incorrectly in my OP - my problem was not simply because people were aged, but their very poor mobility and balance plus of course the (inexcusable) extreme obesity. There were genuine cases of wheelchair users - two younger physically handicapped people, one 12 month old baby who insisted on pushing his stroller everywhere :) , and quite a few incapacitated older people who were able to use the upper rows of the theatre - although I suspect that there were quite a number there who probably didn't really need to!!

So at what age does one change from 'Dinosaur to 'Super Dinosaur? Perhaps 75?

Just sayin'. LOL.

When you can no longer run 5000 metres !! :)

One day, I will no longer be able to run that - but today is NOT the day!! :)

Barry

I very much doubt the Ovation demographic to be very old, if anything I am thinking it will be a much younger crowd. Lots of 30s and 40s.

I'd expect it will be a full range of ages.

Like the other RCL ships at that time of year - just more!

I'd expect it will be a full range of ages.

Like the other RCL ships at that time of year - just more!

I was expecting less of the really old due to the cost of fares on the Ovation compared to the other ships here (at least 20% higher, in some cases double) and also because of the nature of the ship with ifly and flo rider and such, which are less likely to attract the older crowd.

When you can no longer run 5000 metres !! :)

One day, I will no longer be able to run that - but today is NOT the day!! :)

Barry

Well done Baz. You are a real fit Dinosaur. I stagger around the golf course for 18 holes x 3 times a week. But not yesterday when it was 41.8 down here?

Medical fact is perceived, people think they know what is healthy but in reality they are wrong.

My health journey goes against so called medical fact, after many health issues and being told my diet is great by health professionals and it must be genetic but we have medications that can help, I resolved all my health issues myself by studying biochemistry especially energy metabolism.

4 years ago I changed what I eat to a very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb diet, zero health issues now, no medication at all, lost 20 kilos without even trying in 4 months and have never felt better.

The perceived medical fact is that fat is bad for you, causes heart disease etc most people believe that to be fact but it's a big fat lie.

The reason for the obesity epidemic is the so called professionals have the wrong answers because their training has many false so called facts in it.

Why do you think we have an obesity epidemic and a diabetes one at the same time, I could throw in many other disease's in there too all caused by the same thing.

Just got excited seeing someone else follows the low carb, high fat way of eating. I did my research and can't believe the experts have had it so wrong for so long! I'm down 20 plus kilos myself and still going. Plan on looking hot for my cruise :eek: I for one won't be an obese cruiser! Isn't it fun telling everyone that eating bacon and eggs everyday is healthy.lol

Medical fact is perceived, people think they know what is healthy but in reality they are wrong.

My health journey goes against so called medical fact, after many health issues and being told my diet is great by health professionals and it must be genetic but we have medications that can help, I resolved all my health issues myself by studying biochemistry especially energy metabolism.

4 years ago I changed what I eat to a very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb diet, zero health issues now, no medication at all, lost 20 kilos without even trying in 4 months and have never felt better.

The perceived medical fact is that fat is bad for you, causes heart disease etc most people believe that to be fact but it's a big fat lie.

The reason for the obesity epidemic is the so called professionals have the wrong answers because their training has many false so called facts in it.

Why do you think we have an obesity epidemic and a diabetes one at the same time, I could throw in many other disease's in there too all caused by the same thing.

amen to that, there is no one diet fits all, the above diet is the only one that works for me but my two sisters can't tolerate it. if dieting was simple there would be no fat people and no billion dollar diet industry either.

I went on a 40 day cruise on Princess that began and ended in Australia and the people really were old. I am younger - I was about 42 I think - and we were some of the youngest people on board. I don't have many issues with older people - there was some great company - the only 'problem' is that not many people go dancing of a night. I like seeing older people chilling in the sun. Makes me feel happy.

(I don't have many issues with larger people either or frail people, though I sometimes wish they were a little more realistic about what is possible.)

Anyway, I agree about Australians being a bit on the whiny side. Honestly, some people, you'd think they'd just been sent down to work in the mines or something. This is not just on Princess but also on any other ship I've sailed on with lots of Australians - including younger people. My first cruise ever was with mostly Americans and I really enjoyed the friendliness and smiling. Especially the smiling. I'm a pretty reserved person myself but it's not that hard to smile as if you are on a ship, sipping a cocktail and seeing the world in a really comfortable fashion. At times on more heavily Australian ships, I think everyone around me is having the most stressy day of their lives.

The worst was actually P&O but it might have been because of the contrast between that and the US based Celebrity Cruise I'd been on previously. It was a very marked contrast. I'd been selling cruising to my partner as this fantastic experience where everyone is happy and then spent the first few days adjusting to the sourer atmosphere.

Edited by darkpelagic

I was expecting less of the really old due to the cost of fares on the Ovation compared to the other ships here (at least 20% higher, in some cases double) and also because of the nature of the ship with ifly and flo rider and such, which are less likely to attract the older crowd.

Have to wait and see. But out of a few thousand people onboard, there'd still be enough older people who have enough money to buy in, and it wasn't that much more earlier on. Plus there are keen cruisers amongst the elderly too, looking to try a different ship.

Plus with their family cabins, and appeal, I'm sure there'll be a fair number of multi-generation family groups as usual.

Explorer and Voyager also have flowrider and it doesn't stop them booking. Some even enjoy using it :D

You are preaching to the choir with me regards the keto adapted (high fat low carb way of eating).:)

What I mean by medical fact is that it's well known & documented that obesity causes numerous health issues, NOT that doctors know everything about diet, in fact it's my opinion that many doctors prefer to treat than cure, there is no money in healthy people.

We have eaten a semi keto/paleo style of diet for over 5 years & luckily we were never obese to start with because prior to that we ate reasonably healthy anyway, so less damage to our bodies from years of abuse.

But it's certainly true that you need to find what works for you as everyone's body is different - we are not strict to any way of eating - we adapt lots of ideas to create our own eating lifestyle & will continue to adapt as time passes & our bodies change with age as well.

We also have a large & very extensive vegetable garden & orchard on our farm in rural NSW were we grow a lot of our own organic food. We cook from scratch including snacks, make our own Greek yoghurt (so easy in the crockpot), only eat out once in a blue moon & when on the cruises of course. We are flexible when out & about, although try to make good choices & always return to our better eating pattern once home again.

Also being aware of things like modern fruit varieties for example are a lot higher in sugars than the old varieties our grandparents used to grow & that grass fed beef if finished on grain for more than 5 days approx. will have the unbalanced Omega 6 to 3 ratio we want to avoid.

Even in the keto/paleo world you need to do your research because the little things regards how food is grown can turn what should be good for you into a negative. It's not any one thing that works against good health more lots of little things combined over time I find.

But anyhow the point I was making in my previous post wasn't what exactly is healthy for the individual, just that if their choices impact other people directly or indirectly via the drain on the economy then that's an issue for me.

Yes, it's certainly true that what one person thinks is healthy another thinks is not - & it is also relative to their previous lifestyle. I've seen plenty of people on those biggest loser shows that lose loads of weight but are still massive to me - yet they tell them how great they look & how healthy they are now, which is only true comparative to their previous self, not compared to someone else necessarily. They are still at risk from all the obesity related diseases & many put the weight back on because the way they are taught to lose it by extreme dieting & excessive exercise is not sustainable - lifestyle & mindset change are required to be more healthy.

But kudos to anyone that makes the effort to overcome obesity, give up smoking or substance abuse etc, I'm sure it isn't easy. But like the old saying goes - prevention is always better than cure. :)

Edited by avalon007

Well done Baz. You are a real fit Dinosaur. I stagger around the golf course for 18 holes x 3 times a week. But not yesterday when it was 41.8 down here?

I try and keep fit but when I cruise, I relax from anything more strenuous than walking and swimming. It has been hot here all week so no walks at lunchtime and sweating buckets when playing soccer (it was still over 30 at 7.30pm on Wednesday).

Edited by MicCanberra

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to look at so many 3/4 length pants with homyped shoes, with short no style undyed hair on so many of the ladies.

I figure you know you're old when comfort & simplicity become your focus 24/7!! :D

This comment made me laugh. My teen daughter made the same negative observation. I am in my 40s and guilty of wearing 3/4 pants and slips on sandles (not wearng homyped just yet though).

"OMG Mum, all the middle-aged women on this cruise look just like you!":o

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to look at so many 3/4 length pants with homyped shoes, with short no style undyed hair on so many of the ladies.

I figure you know you're old when comfort & simplicity become your focus 24/7!! :D

This comment made me laugh. My teen daughter made the same negative observation. I am in my 40s and guilty of wearing 3/4 pants and slips on sandles (not wearng homyped just yet though).

Your describing me........ I'm a fat middle aged mum who does like shopping at millers & comfy shoes.....

I do however bleach my hair blond if that saves me & I have a 6 year old. I'm waiting for the day someone asks if I'm his grandma.....

Your describing me........ I'm a fat middle aged mum who does like shopping at millers & comfy shoes.....

I do however bleach my hair blond if that saves me & I have a 6 year old. I'm waiting for the day someone asks if I'm his grandma.....

Well Mrs Gut was often told how lovely it was that she took her little brother everywhere with her.

She used I get so angry about it.

It was our son.

Avalon originally said: "Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to look at so many 3/4 length pants with homyped shoes, with short no style undyed hair on so many of the ladies.

I figure you know you're old when comfort & simplicity become your focus 24/7!! :D "

Aussielozzie replied:

Esilef replied:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear ladies what am I going to do with you! :D

I shop at Millers as well now & again - nothing wrong with that, but it's WHAT you buy NOT where you buy it that makes the difference.

Here you go - stylish Millers outfit for you both $110.

I bet regardless of your shape or size if you bought a pair of bootleg jeans & one of the classic jackets they have at Millers that I saw this week, over a simple plain T-Shirt, nice necklace & with some comfy but stylish flat shoes, you would both look loads better than dressing like you are already a senior! That is a classic look anyone can wear & doesn't have to cost the earth.

All the clothes in this list are stretch as well so comfy enough.

Now get out there & get shopping - no excuses, report back how many compliments you get wearing that outfit instead of your 3/4 pants!! :D:D

It's those 3/4 pants that are wide in the leg that may anyone look short & dumpy that I'm referring to, so if you have those burn them quick before anyone else finds out!

If we ever go on the same cruise we must get together for a giggle at all those middle aged ladies dressing like grannies - because you will no longer be one of them!!! :)

.....am quite an alternate thinker, dresser and looker

.....but I do enjoy and respect people making their own autonomous decisions that they feel are right for them :cool:

LOL - Yes I agree, just wish the rest of us having to look at the results of those autonomous decisions didn't have to suffer such visual assault!! :D ;)