What has happened to older Australians ( cruising related)

bazzaw

We are of the older gen. weight 72ks and 66 ks, not admitting age, but would probably be classified as the very old, cruise around 3 times a year. We don't complain, enjoy every cruise accept that not everything is perfect. Know how annoying it can be getting caught behind some very slow passengers, but our thoughts are " there but by the grace of God go us"

You are very similar in age and attitude to us, maxmia. I'd like to think there are more positive cruisers about.

I agree Bazzaw, the whingers tend to make their presence known very early on a cruise :rolleyes:

the whingers tend to make their presence known very early on a cruise :rolleyes:

Thats why I admire P&O. They recognised this years ago, so go out of their way to make sure that some things go wrong and that keeps the whingers happy.....:D:D

Smug can be as offensive as fat.

It is all small stuff. Don't get worked up about the 1 minute less at a tour stop and you will probably lower your stress levels and have another 3 years of perfect life. Although, maybe that isn't worth living if other people don't do their hair on vacation?

If I had to choose I'd much rather cruise with those in their 70s than those in say their 40s

Waaaaa. There goes me, mic and rosie hahahaha:D

Also I don't have to choose.

I can have both and just avoid the ones I don't like.

Strangely enough - I can't say that I saw people overeating to the extreme in the buffet - but what I did see was some very heavy and constant drinking.

It was the excessive drinking which has made me reluctant to cruise again. Not many getting completely legless but many having too much. Then there were those who hardly touched it.

The other small stuff was just that, not worth bothering about. The occasional person smoking on their balcony but not too often.

I do not like the concept of "All you can drink" packages. Too many take that as a challenge.

To Too Two

There Their They're

Are not interchangeable.

Sorry lagoon380, not being unkind, but I just can't agree with that - what is good health is not an opinion based thing - it's medical fact.

Why it matters beyond the cost to the individuals quality of life, is because lifestyle induced health problems related to obesity alone are costing developed countries literally billions of dollars every year, calculated in fact to be around $130 billion last year in Australia, a jump of 84% in the last decade (according to The Fairfax-Lateral Economics Index of Australia's Wellbeing.)

Dollars that could be better spent fighting diseases that we have no control over, or improving other aspects of society, or paying it off the national debt.

If peoples choices regards health only affected the individual then it would be sad for them they are not functioning at their best, but less of a concern to anyone else - however when it affects the bottom line of the country & therefore all of us it's annoying at the very least. Making obesity acceptable as a mainstream option is not the answer.

So people just doing what 'works for them' can mean doing what doesn't work for everyone else who isn't adding a unnecessary burden on the economy.

Self maintenance is a personal responsibility is how I see it - I'm big on people taking responsibility for their own actions (or inactions) within their control, whatever they are, & I hold myself to the same standard. :)

I'm helping an obese friend at the moment with small lifestyle changes to start, to help her lose weight & change her mindset, as she suffers badly from weight induced pain, ever increasing mobility issues, high blood pressure etc, so I do have empathy for those in that situation, even if I sound like a hard task master. :D

Medical fact is perceived, people think they know what is healthy but in reality they are wrong.

My health journey goes against so called medical fact, after many health issues and being told my diet is great by health professionals and it must be genetic but we have medications that can help, I resolved all my health issues myself by studying biochemistry especially energy metabolism.

4 years ago I changed what I eat to a very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb diet, zero health issues now, no medication at all, lost 20 kilos without even trying in 4 months and have never felt better.

The perceived medical fact is that fat is bad for you, causes heart disease etc most people believe that to be fact but it's a big fat lie.

The reason for the obesity epidemic is the so called professionals have the wrong answers because their training has many false so called facts in it.

Why do you think we have an obesity epidemic and a diabetes one at the same time, I could throw in many other disease's in there too all caused by the same thing.

Absolutely agree, though it's been like that for some time.

Good to hear that you're keeping things positive though bazza. Hate to guess what the crew think of all the whinging.

A lot of good points here, but I think the crew get cheesed off and then get cranky themselves. We noticed a change in attitude about a week into our recent 14 nighter to NZ on Explorer. Then we had bad service several times and started whinging!

It can be easy to say ignore them, but a saying I heard recently "you are negatively affecting my experience." That happens. The atmosphere can be very catching once it gets momentum.

We found the oldest demographic so far was on our Voyager cruise to NZ - seems the cooler climate cruises bring out the older generation as other family members have found the same. Lots of scooters parked in the hallways.

I'm hoping our Ovation cruise in Jan 2017 isn't the same, I'm thinking probably not due to it being very popular & well known to lots of cruisers, as well as quite expensive compared to the same cruise on the other ships.

I didn't find the elderley people outright rude or overly grumpy just inconsiderate - for example they would hog all the lounges near the windows in the Sky Lounge all day when sailing through the NZ sounds, then promptly sit & read or fall asleep without looking at the view.

On a tour to Hobbiton one elderly man insisted on blocking the aisle at every stop whilst his slower wife got out of her window seat, since they sat at the front of the bus they held everyone up constantly. That is selfish IMO, if you are slower for whatever reason then just wait until the bus clears at least some of the time.

I remember being at breakfast one morning & looking up to see only seniors - it did feel a bit like being in a retirement village at the particular moment.

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to look at so many 3/4 length pants with homyped shoes, with short no style undyed hair on so many of the ladies.

I figure you know you're old when comfort & simplicity become your focus 24/7!! :D

Also quite a few obese people & whingers as well. People complaining about having Type 2 diabetics when they waddle off for another buffet plate of bad choices.

Although a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands was the most obese with young people aged in their 30's at a guess who where using walkers & scooters to get around. Sad for them, lives less lived due to immobility.

But people ignorant of basic healthy principles of eating abound everywhere, seems the rise of the internet with all it's knowledge just waiting to be absorbed runs of some people like water on a duck's back.

I wouldn't sail on Princess though or HAL as a first choice as they do have a reputation for older demographics & more morgue spaces on board! However, they do have some great itineraries Sydney to Sydney that appeal, although the ships they mostly use out of Sydney do not.

My 82 year old Father In law cruised on Cunard & was complaining about so many old people on board! :eek:

We do enjoy our cruises no matter what though as we are the self sufficient types - but it does add that extra dimension to your holiday if you feel like you fit the demographic. :)

I very much doubt the Ovation demographic to be very old, if anything I am thinking it will be a much younger crowd. Lots of 30s and 40s.

We have cruised mostly with Carnival, we were thinking of trying Princess but after reading many posts about the age demographic on Princess I think we will stick with Carnival, besides every cruise so far has been fantastic.

Unfortunately health is like religion & politics, everyone has an opinion, just do what works for you.

Healthy eating is health - not a religion. And looking at obesity rates and increased incidence of diabetes then clearly people aren't eating what works for them.

I have cut back on carbs - makes a world of difference. Low fat usually means high sugar so I avoid low fat items. Sugar is the issue. Sadly alcohol can have a lot of carbs. :(. And there is so much hidden sugar in foods, even those thought of as healthy, like fruit juice. We should only be having a very small glass and not the usual tumbler size.

Edited by Pushka

There is an easy solution.

I think it should be mandatory for all fat arsed fools that are obese & morbidly obese who cruise be given no option but to be put over the side when coming & leaving dockside to replace the side thrusters.

Hanging a few choccie eclairs in front of their honkers as incentive to kick harder should do the trick.

Eco friendly, lose a few to sharks, entertain the rest of the fine human specimens left up topside, divert & keep the whingers occupied thus educate the kiddies on the perils of gluttony inactivity and a failure to launch the everything in moderation mantra.

In summary Yo momma's so fat, one can see distorted images of objects directly behind her due to the effects of gravitational lensing!

Cheers r :cool:

Anything that returns to and from Australia over 20 days I find skews OLD. I did the 19 day cruise on the Diamond Princess last year and it was a much younger demographic. It was repositioning up to Asia. So basically any cruise were there is no need for a flight or long one you tend to find older passengers. Well thats my take on it.

Great itinerary. Its one I hope they repeat. Were the ports good?

A lot of Dinos and Super Dinos won't get on an aircraft Sarah, hence the 'floating residential care centre syndrome' on cruises to/from Australia. Who said 'Floating RSL/Bowling Club? LOL)

BTW Are you on Island Princess 16 Nov? (We now are.)

A lot of Dinos and Super Dinos won't get on an aircraft Sarah, hence the 'floating residential care centre syndrome' on cruises to/from Australia. Who said 'Floating RSL/Bowling Club? LOL)

I cancelled my FCC on that cruise.

You cant blame them for going on long cruises with no flying. They were probably wise enough to sell their BHP or Woolworth shares , or cash in their super while they were worth something.:eek: