What has happened to older Australians ( cruising related)

bazzaw

I know we are all having some fun with this thread - but there is quite a lot involved with how people dress & our initial perceptions (right or wrong) - it's human psychology 101 - people can ignore it all they like, but you can't change human nature.

As part of my business I keep up with studies on visual perceptions. You would be amazed at the subconscious decisions we make on how to interact with a business based on how their website looks, or how the staff are dressed, if the office is tidy or not. Taking a little time to care about visual appearance isn't just some shallow vanity, it can affect how you will be treated in this world. It may not be what we want to think is true, it may not be a comfortable idea, but it's still a fact.

Ever heard of the 'halo effect' - it's fascinating stuff.

:)

With regards to the halo effect,it is well known that attractive people generally do better in life, even babies prefer to look at good looking people.I think it comes across as old fashioned.

I work in a supermarket and I honestly think that the customers don't care what I'm wearing as long as they feel like they got a bargain. The world is changing.

Elaine.

Elaine.

I must be a dinosaur, I had to google Havaianas, now I know.

Don't worry Uncle Les I thought they meant cigars but the kids say its thongs, not sure why they didn't just say thongs.

Saw a vending machine in the big smoke the other day selling rubber thongs about $9 a pair I think. I kid you not for pair of bl...dy thongs, I pay $1 or 2.

In fact the current pair Pepsi gave me by Miss Gut's boof headed Dalmatian has left tooth marks all over them.

Edited by GUT2407

Indeed a bit of finesse please, tartare sauce or thousand island sauce on lobster, no Aldi Mayo.

Aldi Mayo...the one in the glass bottle... is just the best. However the only thing to put on your lobster (or mud crab) is a bit brown vinegar and pepper. mmmmm.

Not bad for a winter wardrobe, but why would I want to wear that on a cruise?

Jeans - far too hot indoors on a cruise ship but might be OK on cold days outdoors.

Jacket - very nice but why would I wear a jacket like that on a cruise ship? And if it's cold outside I'm more likely to wear a fleece or a wind-proof rain jacket (or both).

Top - 3/4 sleeves is not a good look on me, I avoid it wherever possible.

Shoes - look reasonable but fit and comfort is are the key elements.

People differ in what they feel is comfortable. Those of us who have reached menopause and suffered from its effects, and others who may have similar effects brought on by certain medications, suddenly discover they have to dress to be cool. That means natural fabrics and looser clothing for a start.

Oh, and BTW, I am a senior and proud of it.

Been there, done that, for over 40 years! Now I just have fun fooling people who judge me on the colour of my hair and the comfortable clothes I am wearing, and don't realise that I still have the same active brain that I had when I dressed for business. :D

You totally missed the point - I wasn't suggesting to wear it on a cruise, it was a fun response to a post about wide leg 3/4 pants pros & cons that morphed into fashion in general & one lady in her 40's was saying she was fat & shopped at Millers (discount clothing store) - I was making the point that even if you don't pay a lot for clothes you can still always find something classic to suit any size. That sort of outfit makes most body shapes look good, it's quite casual or can be more dressy depending on how you wear it & is very versatile.

The T-shirt could be any sleeve length - it was just an example within an example, you know - a rough idea, a general look? - Not a mandate.;)

Regards cruise ship temperatures - I find them cold indoors & often wear jeans or long pants in the evening, I need a cardigan/jacket in the theatres most nights also or I get very cold. I'm not some 20 year old either - I am also middle aged & feel the effects of the aging process, but I've always felt the cold more than the heat. Everyone is different, even as they age.

Lastly, I was pointing out in relation to dressing a certain way in certain situations, which tends to make someone look older or messy or whatever, that people do treat you differently based on how you look, especially noticeable if providing you with a service.

I also said it may not be the moral high ground, or nice, or a comfortable thought BUT it's not just my opinion - the Halo Effect is documented scientific fact. It will never change for at least several thousand years more evolution as we are hard wired that way - it was originally a subconscious survival mechanism. Why people like to take offence at that is beyond me. Sheesh.

Anyhow - cheerio & good luck to you all, enjoy being yourselves just as you are, if you are happy with that & don't take it all too seriously. :) Happy cruising.

Edited by avalon007

Aldi Mayo...the one in the glass bottle... is just the best. However the only thing to put on your lobster (or mud crab) is a bit brown vinegar and pepper. mmmmm.

Mmmmmm mmmmmm

A few mates snagged 30 muddies the other day.

What a feed we all had.

Mrs Gut has been grabbing an Aldi one with Chilli in it. Not bad at all.

Indeed a bit of finesse please, tartare sauce or thousand island sauce on lobster, no Aldi Mayo.

No, once you move away from mayo or tartare (which is mayo based) then you lose the affinity with the chips. And only Thomy or SW mayo, please, if you have to use bought mayo.

The idea is to keep the flavours simple, not a hotchpotch! :rolleyes: :eek:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I'm not a fan of vinegar with seafood, too acidic for me. I can handle a little lemon juice but that's all.

I actually prefer lobster unadulterated. I once seriously upset a chef by insisting I wanted my lobster lightly grilled with just a touch of lemon butter to stop it drying out - that was back in the 1980s when it was fashionable to serve lobster in heavy sauces. However in a roll with chips it would need some sort of dressing.

This is the funniest thread ever! Going in and out of Brisbane to PNG on the Aria later this year, was worried it would be full of Aussies, but wow, if they are all like you it will be so much fun!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is the funniest thread ever! Going in and out of Brisbane to PNG on the Aria later this year, was worried it would be full of Aussies, but wow, if they are all like you it will be so much fun!!!

Nope.

mrs Gut says they're not all like me.

She says I'm one of a kind, usually finishes with "Thank God" for some strange reason, guess she's just thankful I'm all her's.

Edited by GUT2407

Can I ask though why we're you "Worried" it would be full of Aussies, us and the Kiwis are prett similar, just we're better and handsomer and smarter and stuff like that.

OK Chief, will do. Got to look the part, no jamas issued to the pointy end on Air NZ though, cheapskates, but then maybe Kiwis don't wear them. LOL, just socks and eye shades, now that is good sleeping attire.
No worries, just make sure you bring an extra sock.:eek: