What has happened to older Australians ( cruising related)

bazzaw

Trouble is, the older you get the longer it takes you to get over stuff. I am bummed. Last week a lump in my throat turned out to be a dvt in my neck. Not related to travel so there is something up with my blood and that isnt normal. Am in the process of cancelling my May Alaska trip. Just cant risk travelling to the US. :(

Oh no! So sorry to hear that, Pushka. I hope things work out OK for you and that sometime in the future you will be able to do the Alaska trip. {{{{{hugs}}}}}.

After getting a glimpse of QE2 last week we drove to Target, Glendale where she bought 3 pairs of bikinis as they were on sale, for $40. Good weather for swimming at the moment and I'm glad we have a heated pool!!:D

After getting a glimpse of QE2 last week we drove to Target, Glendale where she bought 3 pairs of bikinis as they were on sale, for $40. Good weather for swimming at the moment and I'm glad we have a heated pool!!:D

I don't have the body for a bikini, and Mrs Gut doesn't think she does (I do but I often say nothing suits her better), but yep great pool weather at the moment.

Trouble is, the older you get the longer it takes you to get over stuff. I am bummed. Last week a lump in my throat turned out to be a dvt in my neck. Not related to travel so there is something up with my blood and that isnt normal. Am in the process of cancelling my May Alaska trip. Just cant risk travelling to the US. :(

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can do something local that doesn't involve flying. Take care. Hope you get better soon.

Today I turned 40.......

Am I considered old, you or middle aged?

I guess your only as old as you want to pretend to be. So I'm just going to keep cruising and laughing as much as I can and if others want to judge me I really don't care.

Life is too short not to enjoy it!

I'm off to millers to buy some 3/4 pants and some homiped sandals

Lol....

Happy Birthday.:D

Hope it gets sorted soon and you don't have to cancel.

I don't know about the cost of bikinis, but 3 for $40 doesn't sound like there would be a lot of material.:cool:

As someone previously mentioned about scooter, Z frames etc, there but for the grace of whatever God etc so we have empathy. What does annoy, sometimes, is when moving about the ship usually with a companion, they seem oblivious to other more able bodied people that may be behind them, wanting to get past, and not keeping to one side or the other but rather take up postion in the middle of the thoroughfare.

As someone previously mentioned about scooter, Z frames etc, there but for the grace of whatever God etc so we have empathy. What does annoy, sometimes, is when moving about the ship usually with a companion, they seem oblivious to other more able bodied people that may be behind them, wanting to get past, and not keeping to one side or the other but rather take up postion in the middle of the thoroughfare.

Or worse wobbling form side to side so every time you go to get past, they block the route. This can occur even on smooth seas, so no rock n roll of the ship.

I guess we've been lucky on our four cruises so far, including the Top End one that had quite a few "oldies". Mind you we tend to tuck ourselves away in quiet spots during the day, to read and enjoy the sights of the ocean.

The only whiners we have encountered so far were a youngish American couple we were unfortunate to be seated next to at breakfast one day on Solstice. Nothing was good enough for them, the orange juice, the fruit, the coffee, the pancakes and whatever else they ordered to eat - enough for four people and they barely touched any of it. The service, too fast to try to take their orders as they hadn't decided yet (we actually felt we'd waited a tad too long for our order to be taken), too slow to bring the food (at least that one was justified), the plates weren't cleared fast enough after they had finished with them (don't know how the waiters could tell they were finished as there was so much food left on them). The MDR was too cold, too noisy, and so on. I even think they complained about the water not being iced enough! They kept trying to include us in their whining conversation, we made soothing noises and waited until we were out of the MDR before cracking up with laughter - DH especially after I mimicked them, with them as the subject of the "whinge".

I guess we've been lucky on our four cruises so far, including the Top End one that had quite a few "oldies". Mind you we tend to tuck ourselves away in quiet spots during the day, to read and enjoy the sights of the ocean.

The only whiners we have encountered so far were a youngish American couple we were unfortunate to be seated next to at breakfast one day on Solstice. Nothing was good enough for them, the orange juice, the fruit, the coffee, the pancakes and whatever else they ordered to eat - enough for four people and they barely touched any of it. The service, too fast to try to take their orders as they hadn't decided yet (we actually felt we'd waited a tad too long for our order to be taken), too slow to bring the food (at least that one was justified), the plates weren't cleared fast enough after they had finished with them (don't know how the waiters could tell they were finished as there was so much food left on them). The MDR was too cold, too noisy, and so on. I even think they complained about the water not being iced enough! They kept trying to include us in their whining conversation, we made soothing noises and waited until we were out of the MDR before cracking up with laughter - DH especially after I mimicked them, with them as the subject of the "whinge".

We had a set time dining on Cunard and a couple were whingers, after a couple of nights we just started going along with it and say things like "The butter is too hard, Worst cruise ever".:p

We had a set time dining on Cunard and a couple were whingers, after a couple of nights we just started going along with it and say things like "The butter is too hard, Worst cruise ever".:p

The water isn't wet enough, the salt isn't salty enough? :D

Two of our dinner tablemates on Celebrity had a few whinges about problems with room service breakfast but they did it in such a humorous manner that the updates of the shortcomings became a highlight of our table conversation each night.

Or worse wobbling form side to side so every time you go to get past, they block the route. This can occur even on smooth seas, so no rock n roll of the ship.

And if they are equipped with 'training wheels' they block the whole corridor.

Two of our dinner tablemates on Celebrity had a few whinges about problems with room service breakfast but they did it in such a humorous manner that the updates of the shortcomings became a highlight of our table conversation each night.

On Diamond last year a Looooot of whingers.

One group got off in Darwin (just one week for them) we commented how sad it was that they had to disembark one lady said "If I had to spend another month on this ****ty ship I don't know what I'd dp." (well she actually shouted it).

Mrs Gut and I still look at each other now and then and say "If had to stay on this ship for another month...."

We did,

and still didn't want to get off.

It was almost like that sometimes, one time they refused the de shelling of the lobster only to complain how hard it was to eat out of the shell.:eek:

On Diamond last year a Looooot of whingers.

One group got off in Darwin (just one week for them) we commented how sad it was that they had to disembark one lady said "If I had to spend another month on this ****ty ship I don't know what I'd dp." (well she actually shouted it).

Mrs Gut and I still look at each other now and then and say "If had to stay on this ship for another month...."

We did,

and still didn't want to get off.

I would say, "See you later, this cruise just got better" and let them go, more room for me.:D

In my old life I was a RN or now I say I'm a de-Registered Nurse. As we age the frontal lobe in our brains shrink, not everyone but it is common. This part of the brain deals with social manners. Of course some people are just rude and that comes from all ages.

I once had to sit through a breakfast where a woman told me in great detail about all the deaths that had occurred on her previous Princess cruise. I wanted to play dead just to get away from her!

Elaine.

In my old life I was a RN or now I say I'm a de-Registered Nurse. As we age the frontal lobe in our brains shrink, not everyone but it is common. This part of the brain deals with social manners. Of course some people are just rude and that comes from all ages.

I once had to sit through a breakfast where a woman told me in great detail about all the deaths that had occurred on her previous Princess cruise. I wanted to play dead just to get away from her!

Elaine.

Goodness, I have often seen the corona trucks parked on the dock for aussie cruises, I thought they were delivering more beer.:cool:

Today I turned 40.......

Am I considered old, you or middle aged?

I guess your only as old as you want to pretend to be. So I'm just going to keep cruising and laughing as much as I can and if others want to judge me I really don't care.

Life is too short not to enjoy it!

I'm off to millers to buy some 3/4 pants and some homiped sandals

Lol....

You need a new bikini at 40. Rio has a great range of string bikinis. I went there with Princess for my 60th and that's exactly what I bought.

You need a new bikini at 40. Rio has a great range of string bikinis. I went there with Princess for my 60th and that's exactly what I bought.

I remember those crocheted bikinis back in the seventies/eighties, look great and then floated away when they got wet. Teenagers dream seeing those girls in the surf.:D