UBP raised to $79 per day

jmele999

Just read on another thread that the UBP is now $79 per day. For those who have to pay gratuities, that is an additional $1.80 per day. It does not seem like a lot, but the cost has now been increased from $64 to $79 in less than 2 months. For a seven day cruise, the gratuities are now $99.54, which is not a lot considering the free drinks, but it is the principle of offering a "free" drink package and increasing the cost to increase gratuities.

Glad I only cruise inside and don't get offered the freebies!! If my wife and I were to take the Drinks Package (or get the "free" drinks on the SKY") NCL would do very well out of us having to pay the 18%.

As they say "There is no such thing as a free lunch" or in this case "a free drink".

Mike

at the time i booked haven, the drink pack would have a 'list price' of about 1100 bucks. i do wish i could reduce the price of the spa room by 1100 and pay cash for all drinks but that option was nowhere to be found :)

when was this program started. id love to see historical haven prices without the free drinks

Just an FYI -- I tried a mock booking online and the UBP choice for non-suites is still only adding a gratuity and service charge based on the $69 package price. (In other words, on a 7-day cruise, it's still showing up as $173.88 instead of $199.08.) Could change at any time, I imagine.

Edited by Regguy

Not sure where you found that information because the following is cut and pasted from the NCL website under drink package descriptions and it clearly states it's $79 + 18% gratuity and includes drinks up to $15.

I was curious where he found the gratuities included also so I went and explored. Logged into NCL, went to explore and plan and clicked beverage packages. Here is what it states when I select the UBP:

Ultimate Beverage Package

Details

$79.00 USD per person per day (adults age 21 and older).

This package includes all cocktails, spirits, glasses of wine and beer (under $15), unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants (including while at Great Stirrup Cay)

Children and teens staying in the same stateroom will be required to purchase the Soda Package.

Read the full Terms & Conditions of the Ultimate Beverage Package for more information.

Need To Know

Applicable beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise.

Price includes an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

So, which is it? Because according to my ncl, when logged in, it says gratuities are included. I copied and pasted this, I did highlight the gratuities part in red and made print bigger.

Of course when I click the terms and conditions it states there is an added 18% gratuity.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I was curious where he found the gratuities included also so I went and explored. Logged into NCL, went to explore and plan and clicked beverage packages. Here is what it states when I select the UBP:

Ultimate Beverage Package

Details

$79.00 USD per person per day (adults age 21 and older).

This package includes all cocktails, spirits, glasses of wine and beer (under $15), unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants (including while at Great Stirrup Cay)

Children and teens staying in the same stateroom will be required to purchase the Soda Package.

Read the full Terms & Conditions of the Ultimate Beverage Package for more information.

Need To Know

Applicable beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise.

Price includes an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

So, which is it? Because according to my ncl, when logged in, it says gratuities are included. I copied and pasted this, I did highlight the gratuities part in red and made print bigger.

Of course when I click the terms and conditions it states there is an added 18% gratuity.

They still charge you the 18%. I went and put it in my cart, and it says $652.54 per person. $79*7*1.18 = $652.54.

Also, They have removed the $11 language and put the $15 back, so it is still $15 limit. But that price increase is insane, and this is coming from someone who paid for the package when it was $54pp/pd. No way I would pay for it now. Will still pay the 18% gratuity on a promo though, as I blow that out of the water after day 3 lol.

They still charge you the 18%. I went and put it in my cart, and it says $652.54 per person. $79*7*1.18 = $652.54.

Also, They have removed the $11 language and put the $15 back, so it is still $15 limit. But that price increase is insane, and this is coming from someone who paid for the package when it was $54pp/pd. No way I would pay for it now. Will still pay the 18% gratuity on a promo though, as I blow that out of the water after day 3 lol.

Thanks, I didn't put it in my cart but they need to change the wording for sure.

There is no way I would pay $79pp.:eek:

That is a lot of money for a drink package for 2 over a week. It has gone up what about $20 a day in a year.

In my opinion it can't go up high enough to put up with the crap we saw on Breakaway In Jan.

People don't even leave the ship to support local economies because they get all they want on-board. Let it go to $100 or even $200 per day.:p

I am not a big drinker so find that bringing a nice bottle of wine with me on board and paying the corkage fee is a better deal. I enjoy a drink (depending on port) while off the ship. If you cruise to drink then the "free" drink perk may be of value, not so much for me or DH.

WOW this is crazy. May have to pick a different perk on future cruises. I only pick this for DH but may be cheaper to buy individual drinks.

Thanks for the info!

NCL is doing some serious market experimentation that could burn them if they're not careful.

I have purchased UBP three times. I've had it promo'd twice. Personally, I'm not a buyer @ $93 pp/pd. Perhaps its just a gag to up the "value" of the promo'd UBP to collect more Grat/SC -- which is also kinda crappy.

I have used Rum Runners in the past, and I will dust them off if needed.

As NCL continues to experiment with higher prices and no significant product improvement (see this Gem PH for an example), once loyal passengers will continue to look to other lines, just as they've been doing since FDR came aboard. An increasing number may decide to leave the ships behind altogether...

NCL is doing some serious market experimentation that could burn them if they're not careful.

I have purchased UBP three times. I've had it promo'd twice. Personally, I'm not a buyer @ $93 pp/pd. Perhaps its just a gag to up the "value" of the promo'd UBP to collect more Grat/SC -- which is also kinda crappy.

I have used Rum Runners in the past, and I will dust them off if needed.

As NCL continues to experiment with higher prices and no significant product improvement (see this Gem PH for an example), once loyal passengers will continue to look to other lines, just as they've been doing since FDR came aboard. An increasing number may decide to leave the ships behind altogether...

Totally agree with you. We have two more cruises booked on NCL because we got a great deal (booked in early 2015). However, the higher prices and new perks are not that great so we already booked a suite in the yacht club (MSC).

In my opinion it can't go up high enough to put up with the crap we saw on Breakaway In Jan.

People don't even leave the ship to support local economies because they get all they want on-board. Let it go to $100 or even $200 per day.:p

Well that's better than the old thread I read earlier today asking if anyone thought of taking beer off the ship with them by using their UBP and wondered if there would be a problem with that just as there is with taking fruit off ect. In many ports a nice cold one is a buck to a buck and a half.

Perhaps people like that are better left on the ship at port. That way at least people are being paid to put up with them.:D

Edited by Karysa

If you cruise to drink then the "free" drink perk may be of value, not so much for me or DH.

I think saying this is a little harsh. We absolutely don't do anything in life solely "to drink." I would worry if we did. However, on a cruise, or on any vacation for that matter, we probably will drink a little more than usual. No driving. No getting up early. If we want to have wine with dinner and then a drink later on at a show, it's not really a sign of "cruising to drink."

So, if we each have just 2 drinks a day (for a total of 4 drinks) and they are $10 each, that's $40 a day. Seven (7) days times $40 is $280. That's a savings if we pay the charge on the "free" package. And I really don't think it represents excessive drinking.

Just my thoughts.

Totally agree with you. We have two more cruises booked on NCL because we got a great deal (booked in early 2015). However, the higher prices and new perks are not that great so we already booked a suite in the yacht club (MSC).

Yup, me too.

Next up is Jewel in April. It's the last time I will ever see pricing like this: $1749 pp, SF PH suite w/ UBP, UDP, ShoreX credit, free DSC. I think that one was booked early or mid 2015 as well.

After that... Princess.

After that...?!? We'll see.

While I know many people get the bev package promo as a "freebie" when booking, for those that don't this makes NCL's beverage package offering the most expensive and least inclusive on the market. At $79/day the exclusion of bottled waters and specialty coffees is down right insulting. I know this is more about increasing the revenue from the 18% surcharge than it is about selling the packages individually, but it is going too far in my opinion.

There are many things I liked about my NCL cruise on the Escape, and I'm looking forward to my fall crossing on the Epic, but I'm seriously evaluating if I personally want to sail with them in future due to the constant changes in policies and back-door price increases. As I compare future cruises it is hard to know what exactly I may or may not ultimately get from NCL. The other lines are changing as well, but not as rapidly and not as drastically

Can't say I'm really surprised to see the price going up when I read on another thread people saying that 15 drinks in a given day doesn't cover their needs. Based on my recent experience these unlimited drinks packages are seriously impacting the atmosphere onboard. I'm not a big drinker but I'm also far from a being prohibitionist - there were just far more people "over served" on my past two cruises than on all the previous combined.

On the Jewel I even overheard a conversation between two well lubricated gents loudly describing how they had to drink like "MF-ers" from dawn to dusk just to "break even". Unfortunately they didn't care that my 3 year old and 5 year old heard their colourful language either.