Stomach problems how do you Prevent them

BillPizzaiolo

If everyone is fastidious and follows good hygiene practices then we can keep from getting sick or sicker. What do you suggest?

These are 7 things I do to minimize chances:

1. Wash hands, W/warm water & Soap, sing three verses of Happy Birthday then rinse-frequently. Always after bathroom, blowing nose, etc.

2. Avoid touching stuff, handles, knobs, rails, shoes, etc. with bare hands and then touching face without sanitizing hands.

3. Take a Probiotic capsule, daily, regularly before traveling and while traveling.

4. Eat unsweetened Greek Yogurt on occasion.

5. Sanitize hands after handling menu, and make sure menu doesn't touch eating utensils.

6. If shaking hands, avoid touching face until after sanitizing hands.

7. Never touch food on display with bare hands.

Even with all that there is still a chance that some critter will make it's way to try to make me ill. The Probiotic flora in my gut should help my immune system take care of it quickly.

The crew of the ships we have traveled on seem to be fastidious in trying to keep it clean. We can only help by not bringing it on board from the ports we visit. I remember after a day of touring in Casa Blanca we had to sanitize our shoes before boarding by walking through a disinfectant mat.

Please share what you do to stay well. May be it will help others.

Our doctor and friend gives us Cipro to take when we travel. Up until we went to Israel with him two years ago, we never had a need to take it. We thought it was to be taken only if we started feeling ill like having a sore throat or similar.

So when we were getting ready to leave for Israel, our doctor gave each of our group an RX for Cipro. He said we were to take it a day or two before we left on our trip, and then once a day throughout the trip duration. Everyone but one person did as he said.

On the day we returned home, almost two weeks later, all but one person had remained healthy. You guessed it...the one person that did not take the Cipro became violent ill with a stomach virus of some sort. He remained sick for over a week.

Fast forward through 5 or 6 cruises since, and DH and I have carried the Cipro with us, but have not taken it...until...February 12th. When we found out about the Noro on Riviera, we started taking a pill everyday up until the day after we returned home. I am not sure if it was the Cipro, good hygiene or just good luck, but we did not get sick. Lucky, especially since we think our room attendant had it on the cruise before ours, as did our next door neighbors.

I read on another cruiseline thread that someone traveling to India took Cipro and it caused a detached retina. It is apparently a side effect which we did not know about. We will not take Cipro so lightly again, and plan to talk to our doctor friend about this tomorrow.

I am interested to learn more about this Probiotic capsule???

Edited by Iamthesea

Our doctor and friend gives us Cipro to take when we travel. Up until we went to Israel with him two years ago, we never had a need to take it. We thought it was to be taken only if we started feeling ill like having a sore throat or similar.

So when we were getting ready to leave for Israel, our doctor gave each of our group an RX for Cipro. He said we were to take it a day or two before we left on our trip, and then once a day throughout the trip duration. Everyone but one person did as he said.

On the day we returned home, almost two weeks later, all but one person had remained healthy. You guessed it...the one person that did not take the Cipro became violent ill with a stomach virus of some sort. He remained sick for over a week.

Fast forward through 5 or 6 cruises since, and DH and I have carried the Cipro with us, but have not taken it...until...February 12th. When we found out about the Noro on Riviera, we started taking a pill everyday up until the day after we returned home. I am not sure if it was the Cipro, good hygiene or just good luck, but we did not get sick. Lucky, especially since we think our room attendant had it on the cruise before ours, as did our next door neighbors.

I read on another cruiseline thread that someone traveling to India took Cipro and it caused a detached retina. It is apparently a side effect which we did not know about. We will not take Cipro so lightly again, and plan to talk to our doctor friend about this tomorrow.

I am interested to learn more about this Probiotic capsule???

It wasn't the cipro that kept you well. It is for a bacterial infection, and noro is viral.

If everyone is fastidious and follows good hygiene practices then we can keep from getting sick or sicker. What do you suggest?

These are 7 things I do to minimize chances:

1. Wash hands, W/warm water & Soap, sing three verses of Happy Birthday then rinse-frequently. Always after bathroom, blowing nose, etc.

2. Avoid touching stuff, handles, knobs, rails, shoes, etc. with bare hands and then touching face without sanitizing hands.

3. Take a Probiotic capsule, daily, regularly before traveling and while traveling.

4. Eat unsweetened Greek Yogurt on occasion.

5. Sanitize hands after handling menu, and make sure menu doesn't touch eating utensils.

6. If shaking hands, avoid touching face until after sanitizing hands.

7. Never touch food on display with bare hands.

Even with all that there is still a chance that some critter will make it's way to try to make me ill. The Probiotic flora in my gut should help my immune system take care of it quickly.

The crew of the ships we have traveled on seem to be fastidious in trying to keep it clean. We can only help by not bringing it on board from the ports we visit. I remember after a day of touring in Casa Blanca we had to sanitize our shoes before boarding by walking through a disinfectant mat.

Please share what you do to stay well. May be it will help others.

Thank you BillPizzaiolo number 5 about handling the menu was something I did not think about before. I will be more careful now. Great pointers.

You may want to look for a new doctor

You could build up a resistance to the drug & when you need it will it work as intended ?

plus the side effects it can cause

heard of MRSA ?

JMO

I find it shocking that a doctor would recommend such a thing. Cipro is a very strong drug and is not to be taken prophylactically for travelers diarrhea.

Actually Cipro is the appropriate drug for traveler's diarrhea. I wouldn't, however, take it as prophylaxis. The above recommendations regarding probiotics and hygiene are outstanding as preventative measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by JohnDO01

Those recommendations to take the Cipro in advance and then during the trip sound like what a doctor might recommend for doxycycline as malaria prophylaxis. That would be appropriate. But Cipro for diarrhea prophylaxis? Sounds like asking for C. Diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks BillPizzaiolo for those great tips.

They also work with flu prevention.

I would also add politely refuse to shake hands and fist bump instead.

There are certain foods I never eat at the buffet.

Anything that the guests serve themselves like rolls and cookies, I often see people touching this kind food to find the one they want.

Stay healthy, remember don't touch your hands to your face!

I really don't understand why Oceania has the fruit & bread self serve at lunch when everything else is served to you. Seems to be asking for trouble. Of course some of the stuff I see at the buffet makes my head want to explode anyway.

It wasn't the cipro that kept you well. It is for a bacterial infection, and noro is viral.

Thanks for getting this important distinction out quickly! When folks take Cipro for existing gastro symptoms it is to deal with suspected bacteria infections -- typically E. coli -- not viral infections.

Here's a link to the list for which an MD would prescribe Cipro:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1124-93/cipro-oral/ciprofloxacin-oral/details/list-conditions

I'll join the chorus of folks who are advising against using Cipro without symptoms or specific knowledge that the problem is bacterial.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Thank you BillPizzaiolo number 5 about handling the menu was something I did not think about before. I will be more careful now. Great pointers.

The menu's were wiped down after each passenger handles them and then were handed to the new passenger, sometimes dripping.

As for the Cipro, I will ask my doctor tomorrow. Not only is he our doctor and good friend, but he is our Sunday School teacher. :D I trust his judgement, but may have misunderstood the use of Cirpo. The Cipro may not have kept us from getting the Noro, but it gave us piece of mind and perhaps that positive attitude along with being diligent with hygiene practices kept us well. ;)

In no way should Cipro be taken prophylacticly. My MD carefully dispenses antibiotics so that we do not build up an immunity for when we REALLY need them. Your MD/Sunday school teacher may mean well but he is putting you at great risk. Please take this seriously.

If you are worried about travellers diarrhea we can get Dukoral here in Canada not sure if the USA has it

https://www.dukoralcanada.com/

It may be OK to have an antibiotic with you if you know it will fight off you you come down with

Just to take it prior or during a trip as preventative medicine is not a good idea

JMO

Lyn

If you are worried about travellers diarrhea we can get Dukoral here in Canada not sure if the USA has it

It may be OK to have an antibiotic with you if you know it will fight off you you come down with

Just to take it prior or during a trip as preventative medicine is not a good idea

JMO

Lyn

We have taken Dukoral but it isn't effective against viruses.

See:

What vaccines are available for Travellers’ Diarrhea?

Dukoral® is an oral vaccine that is approximately 67 percent effective for preventing TD caused by E. coli. It is not effective against other organisms or viruses that may cause TD.

Dukoral® is also 85 percent effective in preventing Cholera, although Cholera is far less common than TD.

Source: http://www.tmvc.com/diseases/disease-information/travellers-diarrhea

Noro can become airborne - so close toilets before flushing and move away from someone else's vomit.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20150819/norovirus-can-go-airborne-when-infected-person-vomits-study

Noro is so contagious - CDC says Noroviruses can be found in your vomit or stool even before you start feeling sick. The virus can stay in your stool for 2 weeks or more after you feel better. So, it is important to continue washing your hands often during this time.

Source: [url=http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html]http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html[/url

Tansy it is not ideal but if people are worried about TD then it may work if they get e-coli (been there done that)

TD can be caused by many things

After reading the side effects I did not fill my RX for it

to each his own

Tansy it is not ideal but if people are worried about TD then it may work if they get e-coli (been there done that)

TD can be caused by many things

After reading the side effects I did not fill my RX for it

to each his own

Dukoral is available in Canada and in Europe, I believe. Non-prescription here in Canada but from the pharmacist. I don't believe it is available in the US.

We had a Dukoral booster on our last cruise and ate off the ship every day in India without problems (but we ate carefully at places suggested by our guides). But as you say, double-check the side effects before you take it.

JMO

Lyn

We did Dukoral before our SE Asia trip two years ago. I did come down with a stomach bug in Bangkok, and we had to change our itinerary, but I perhaps wasn't as sick as I would have been without the drug--we had a cipro-like antibiotic with us, but I did not need to take it, just imodium. Took the same to Egypt last fall, didn't have to use either. I am loathe to take antiobiotics unless I absolutely need them, but it's good to have them along.