Pool chair/loungers ownership

Freefifi77

On a similar subject, we were on a 14 day repositioning cruise on NCL last year and there were signs posted by the pool and on all of the hot tubs about children with diapers, even swimmers, not being allowed in the water. After 2 days of watching a family put their toddler into and out of the water and hot tub, I discretely asked a pool attendant what the rules were and pointed out the child. He said it wasn't his job to get involved. I then saw an officer walking by and asked him. He immediately told the family that the child was not allowed in the water. Their response was that they were in a suite and paid good money and they could do what they wanted. Who wants to get in a pool or hot tub with a swimmer diaper? They can leak. If you are going to make rules, employees should enforce them.

That's a very severe violation of health rules, much different than chair hogs. I don't know what the penalty could be, but I'm sure our resident Chief Engineer could tell us.

To the OP - You were well within your rights to move the stuff and use the chairs.

The only thing I would have done differently is get a crew member to take the "forgotten" items. If you couldn't find someone to take them, I would have moved them as you did, but, despite my dislike of untruthfulness, I would have claimed ignorance when the chair hogs came to claim "their" chair. "I have no idea what you are talking about, we have been here 2 hours and there was nothing on the chairs when we arrived!" Accompanied by a look of dismay.

I have seen stickers put on empty chaises with towels, etc., on them. On Carnival they put the time sticker put there and time everything will be removed. This is usually 40 minutes.

On NCL they put a sticker and if they see someone looking for a chaise they check the stickers, take stuff off them and give the chaise away. I have also seen people go to the towel person and say the chaise has been empty , then the towel person removes the stuff.

On both lines the stuff is taken to the towel person to keep until claimed.

On Princess we sat all day in chairs and saw a chaise no one ever came to ALL day. Princess doesn't seem to care.

Decades ago, when I traveled with my parents, I remember assigned deck chairs. Years late, as an adult I remember Home Lines having a similar policy; pay for a chair is a specific location, [your name was placed in a small holder on the chair], meet your deck steward and never encounter chair hogs.

Maybe cruise lines can acquire another source of revenue - reserve a deck chair for the week as an option. It could be in a few different areas of the ship so passengers could select full sun by the pool, or a quiet and shaded area away from the crowds. Just a thought......

Darcy

Isn't that exactly what you are doing? I mean your post on this subject had zero to do with the topic but you always seem to post comments like this. Ones that don't touch on the actual subject at all.

Compare his post counts with mine. I don't care what my post count is.;)

Decades ago, when I traveled with my parents, I remember assigned deck chairs. Years late, as an adult I remember Home Lines having a similar policy; pay for a chair is a specific location, [your name was placed in a small holder on the chair], meet your deck steward and never encounter chair hogs.

Maybe cruise lines can acquire another source of revenue - reserve a deck chair for the week as an option. It could be in a few different areas of the ship so passengers could select full sun by the pool, or a quiet and shaded area away from the crowds. Just a thought......

Darcy

They could take the prime loungers next to the pool and charge for them, leaving all of the rest free for the taking or hogging.

It is a touchy issue on most Caribbean cruises. Most cruise lines have specific rules regarding saving loungers and these time limits usually vary from about 20 min to an hour. But the problem is that the deck crew is often reticent about actually enforcing time limits. We have a friend who has a great technique. If they see a an empty lounger for a long period of time, they simply take all the personal effects on that lounger to a deck staffer and tell them "we think somebody forgot this stuff and it probably should go to lost and found." Works every time.

Hank

This one made me laugh, brilliant!

I would've done exactly what you did -- except that I would've kept my butt in that chair another two hours, even if I were dehydrated and needed to pee badly. I would've stayed in that chair our of spite.

Okay, not really, but I absolutely would've moved the things just like you did, and I wouldn't have felt a bit badly about it.

Darcy

It exists. It's called The Sanctuary, on Princess.

Sailed Carnival recently...no time stickers were placed and was never able to sit in solarium or even close to the pool. Recently sailed RCCL, previous cruiser told me how great the solarium staff were about removing towels when placed to save the chair. Same cruise, same staff, did not happen.

This is never going to change.

Just a part of cruise life.

Op I think you did really well. Those people were very rude and it is awful that people think they can treat others like this. I would probably move items left on a lounger too as it is not fair if no-one is using the space. The cruise line is at fault for allowing these situations to happen and they need to make a stand against the chair hogs as it seems to be a big problem with a lot of cruisers. I am sorry you were in that situation as it is supposed to be a time to relax and not have hassle like this.

I would've done exactly what you did -- except that I would've kept my butt in that chair another two hours, even if I were dehydrated and needed to pee badly. I would've stayed in that chair our of spite.

Okay, not really, but I absolutely would've moved the things just like you did, and I wouldn't have felt a bit badly about it.

I did remove a paperback book and a blouse off of a deck chair that was in a shady area with a view of the movie screen. I first asked if anyone sitting in that area had seen that person. Nope. Have any of you been here for more than a half hour (which is the time limit on Princess)? Nope. I put the items on a table nearby and said, "you didn't see this." Got a laugh.

While watching the movie (and more than thirty minutes into the movie) and this woman comes up, had a sheepish look on her face as she took the items and left. If she had dared to confront me, I would have played innocent, but would have also suggested that she look over that (pointing to where there's a sign with the 30-minute rule listed).

I don't take kindly to bullies and I don't take kindly to people who are inconsiderate.

I believe the cruiseline should put a 45 minute rule into effect. Cuz that is how long it would take for a chair hog to do there rounds : place a towel at the pool area ,then off to the theater to save a chair , then wander down to save a perfect seat at the dining room, maybe save a chair at there favorite gaming table. Oh and btw why not put a towel on lounger next to the hot tub .

I do not understand why people think it's OK to put stuff on a chair and then show up hours later to claim their spot! That's insane.

Good for you for taking the spots. It sucks they confronted you.

My sister and I were discussing how we would get our chairs on a Caribbean cruise. We figured, we'd wake up early and then go up and sleep in our loungers. :) make sure we have our sun screen on and an alarm to keep us turning... I mean, if we want to a chair we need to be in it, right?

Good for you for standing up for yourself, but sucks to deal with the drama.

I was recently watching cruise vlogs and I saw many times where the lounger had the top folded down but there was not personal belongings or a towel on the chair. If the lounger has the top folded down does that mean it is being reserved?

Well, since reserving is not permitted, who cares? In the OP's position, liar that I am, I would have looked very innocent and said that the nice lady who was sitting there when I arrived said she was leaving and I could have her seat, then proceed to ignore the jerk.

You were completely in the right OP. Me being ornery, I would've kept my butt in that chair for as long as I could stand it out of pure spite for somebody approaching me that way. I really do wish the cruise lines would do better about enforcing the amount of time a chair can remain "reserved", I think that might make chair hogs realize that they can't get away with their boorish behavior nod hopefully knock thier crap off. Sadly though, people that inconsiderate often have an entitlement complex, and can never be taught any different.

I was recently watching cruise vlogs and I saw many times where the lounger had the top folded down but there was not personal belongings or a towel on the chair. If the lounger has the top folded down does that mean it is being reserved?

I would not consider folding down a lounge top to mean I could not use that unoccupied lounger. If there was another nearby, I would take the other but if not, I would not hesitate to sit on a lounger that had no personal items placed on it.

I've always wanted to get a group of folks together at say 6:00am and have them put a towel on every chair and then watch from the deck above when the chairhogs come down to hog their chair and see there are none available. I just think that would be a hoot. Of course, after they leave, we would take all the towels away, so that others can have the chairs.

I'm sure the selfish hogs would look to their left and right, see no one around, and move the towels and hog their own chairs. They would do exactly what they get mad at other for doing, moving stuff.