What was this ship

JAKUEHNLE

Just wondering - which 'R'

ship was the Sirena when it started its life with Renaissance cruises?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Renaissance went under before she sailed with them ? I do not believe she had an official name. I don't think she was really owned by Renaissance but I could be wrong. I know Princess bought her in 2002, and she was the Taihitian Princess at that time (DH and I sailed on her in early 2003).

Here is some real arcane Renaissance Cruise line trivia....this was my first cruise ship:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Aegean_Odyssey

It was leased to Renaissance in 1996. We saw a deal in a Northwest Airline FF mailing for a Greek Isle flight and cruise at a decent price so we decided to try cruising. It was a wonder we ever cruised again. Itinerary was great though, as were the pre and post hotels. :D.

And, I really do miss those crazy cheap NWA deals...$200 R/T flights to Europe in winter, free trips to Australia...those were the good old days.

I was remembering that she was the R4 as well, but I wasn't sure enough to post anything!

We sailed on the R2 (Regatta), R5 (Nautica) and R7 (not sure what she became, maybe one of the Azamara ships?) with Renaissance.

I was remembering that she was the R4 as well, but I wasn't sure enough to post anything!

We sailed on the R2 (Regatta), R5 (Nautica) and R7 (not sure what she became, maybe one of the Azamara ships?) with Renaissance.

R7 = Azamara Quest

And, I really do miss those crazy cheap NWA deals...$200 R/T flights to Europe in winter, free trips to Australia...those were the good old days.

No wonder they are not around any more :D

Incidentally, NWA (aka North's Worst Airline to some of us) is not missed by me. :)

Incidentally, NWA (aka North's Worst Airline to some of us) is not missed by me. :)

Could of had a great time and saved a lot of money. Taken 2 cruises for what I pay for one now. Times change.

:)No arguement on the Northworst nickname being appropriate...but, the FF program was great (with inside leads to the deals). I have fond memories of taking advantage of every screwy deal NWA marketing came up with that I possibly could. :D. It was interesting that the cruise we took was sold as a Renaissance Cruise...thankfully, we were to dumb to know at the time that it was a leased ship.

:)No arguement on the Northworst nickname being appropriate...but, the FF program was great (with inside leads to the deals). I have fond memories of taking advantage of every screwy deal NWA marketing came up with that I possibly could. :D. It was interesting that the cruise we took was sold as a Renaissance Cruise...thankfully, we were to dumb to know at the time that it was a leased ship.

When FDR started Oceania they had leased ships also. Hard to know the real ownership of any ships out there today. All very legal and complicated.

That's what I was thinking. We were on the R4 in Tahiti just before the cruise line went bankrupt and the ships were sold to other cruise lines. Will be fun to be back on the ship just after she joins O. Will have to go up to deck 9 and see where my 1st cabin was. :D

Here's the timeline of the R-class:

R One 1998 = Oceania Insignia

R Two 1998 = Oceania Regatta

R Three 1999 = Pacific Princess

R Four 1999 = Ocean Princess – now Oceania Sirena

R Five 2000 = Oceania Nautica

R Six 2000 = Azamara Journey

R Seven 2000 = Azamara Quest

R Eight 2001 = fathom Adonia

9/11/2001 terrorist attacks

9/25/2001 Renaissance Cruises bankruptcy

All eight ships entered service with Renaissance. All were basically identical, except that R Six, Seven and Eight have fewer Suites on Deck 8.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

All eight ships entered service with Renaissance. All were basically identical, except that R Six, Seven and Eight have fewer Suites on Deck 8.

The R 6,7 and 8 were built with no suites on deck 8...

Jancruz1

Interesting to know. Thanks a lot.