Regal "better" breakfast choices?

Clampram

OK, so I am not a saint when it comes to calories and a cruise......

This time, I would like to try more sensible choices at breakfast. What are your ideas for lower calorie choices at breakfast? We usually go to the HC since a 2 hour sit down breakfast in the MDR is 1.5 hours too long!!!

For lunch, salads are popular and I think that will work for me.

We have never, ever spent anywhere close to 2 hours on a sit down breakfast in the MDR - half an hour to 45 minutes (depending on the number of cups of coffee my DH orders) max.

That said, if it is an excursion morning we get yogurt parfaits plus our coffee and tea from the IC and eat them on our balcony. They are delicious!

I usually have cottage cheese and melon, an egg and some crispy bacon for breakfast. For lunch, I use a bowl and make a chef's salad. I also take whatever else I think I might like but finish only what really is good. I don't eat breads or desserts.

We have never, ever spent anywhere close to 2 hours on a sit down breakfast in the MDR - half an hour to 45 minutes (depending on the number of cups of coffee my DH orders) max.

That said, if it is an excursion morning we get yogurt parfaits plus our coffee and tea from the IC and eat them on our balcony. They are delicious!

This actually happened to us in December on Emerald Princess. We had to wait until our large table was full and then the service was painfully slow.....swore I would never do it again!

This actually happened to us in December on Emerald Princess. We had to wait until our large table was full and then the service was painfully slow.....swore I would never do it again!

Tell the host/hostess you want your own table. We always (with over 15 cruises on Princess) do that. Problem solved.

Edited by capriccio

We are early birds, and start off the day with coffee and a roll or croissant at IC, then walk or exercise, then later on with fresh fruit and maybe an egg or small omelet at the buffet. I also find that in addition to the MDR taking too much time for our taste, we prefer the coffee at the IC and choosing our own fruit at the buffet.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

A yogurt parfait as a "better" low calorie breakfast?

Two eggs + two slices Canadian bacon = 200 calories, 18g protein, near zero carbs.

Anything made with yogurt or fruit syrup (which is added to the parfait) is 300-400 calories of essentially pure liquid carbs.

We always ask for a table for 2 at breakfast to save time. Egg white omelets without a lot of high calorie add ons are a good choice along with fresh fruit. We go to the dining room because we tend to eat too much when we go to HC. Avoiding the trays of pastries that come around often is the hard part!

I agree. I would not stay for 2 hours for breakfast.

Large table or not just ask the wait staff to take your order.

Two eggs + two slices Canadian bacon = 200 calories, 18g protein, near zero carbs.

Anything made with yogurt or fruit syrup (which is added to the parfait) is 300-400 calories of essentially pure liquid carbs.

YUM guess that's why I enjoy it. Didn't say it was low cal just lighter. When I have a full breakfast (favorite meal by the way) I like eggs over med. with hash, pan fries, tomatoes (grilled if possible) and buttered toast. With lots of coffee, now you've done it I'm hungry and I didn't plan on lunch today.

Thanks for the info on the parfait.

• 2 weeks later...
Better Breakfast: 8-12 strips bacon, 6 sausage, hash brown potatoes with gravy, waffle, ham and cheese omelette, four cups coffee, 2 latte, two or three cinnamon rolls or other pastry... of course a small bowl of fresh fruit with Chia seeds.

Sounds like you know my husband:D

OK, so I am not a saint when it comes to calories and a cruise......

This time, I would like to try more sensible choices at breakfast. What are your ideas for lower calorie choices at breakfast? We usually go to the HC since a 2 hour sit down breakfast in the MDR is 1.5 hours too long!!!

For lunch, salads are popular and I think that will work for me.

Breakfast selections can be the same as you have at home. If you have cereal and coffee at home you can have it on the ship. Scrambled egg with juice at home, also available on the ship. Just make your selections as if you were home. I normally have a bowl of raisin bran with banana or other fruit, a glass of juice and cup of coffee almost every morning. Maybe once a week I would select something different like and omelet, french toast or waffle with bacon or sausage.

I always ask for the "low-calorie" bacon, sausages & hash browns...

You do know that when you cut into food the calories fall out, just eat around them and you will be fine. Interesting point on a 54 night cruise I started with full breakfast always by the end of cruise I was back to having sliced tomato on toast and a cup of tea, same as I have at home. Too much of a good thing?

It can be done, takes discipline. I'm typically on a ship for 22-25 days and usually gain at most 2 lbs., I'm leaving soon for 25 days so I'll see how it goes. Last Fall after 27 days, I didn't gain any weight, amazing!

I have fruit for breakfast, maybe an English muffin. For lunch, it is always a salad, big maybe, but just salad items and not the creamy stuff, like pasta or slaw made with mayonnaise. I've recently lost 15 lbs. and refuse to go crazy on a ship just because the food is there.

I usually take my breakfast at IC. Less choices than HC, easier to choose which has acceptable calorie for me.

So, please clarify for me again - at IC is the food no charge, but is there a charge for coffee? ( just reg coffee, not specialty drinks).

I'm with you on this one. Give me bacon, bacon, bacon a couple of eggs and I'm good.

I'm also calorie counter and the yogurt parfait will definitely push you over LOL Although it is a lot healthier than high cholesterol foods. If there is a low fat yogurt option and you get less than half a cup and lots of fresh berries that would be okay. The HC is definitely your best bet for calorie counting. English muffins well technically have a tiny bit less calories than toast. But a Dry Cereal with a load of berries is probably your best bet. Oatmeal is not a low calorie option. The amount of oatmeal people serve themselves out of a buffet is usually about 4 times what you get in the little microwave packets. You are looking about 800 calories or oatmeal if you loaded up and it was a good-sized bowl. The little one at McDonald's is almost 400. It's true with the Dry Cereal too , a serving of Dry Cereal is typically 130 calories but it's usually about the size that fits in the single-serve boxes. If you load your bowl up with berries it will fill you up for less calories. If you feel like you need more protein I usually get a English muffin and split a sausage link. That's usually about 230 calories.