Inactive Roll Calls and CC Board posts on certain cruiselines

tbmrt

We're cruising Carnival for the first time in awhile and were very surprised at how slow the Roll Call was compared to ours on Celebrity last year...A little disappointing. Hoping it will pick up before our September cruise.

On the other hand, the Carnival CC Board itself is extremely active which I love.

Helps with cruise withdrawal!

We are researching a Windstar cruise (only 300 passengers) so not many people at all on the Windstar CC Board. Feel like I'm missing out on something by not being able to read more posts on this Board.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Well, you can't force/require members to join roll calls. Some are just more enthusiastic than others. Windstar being a much smaller line with much fewer, smaller ships... Unless something goes wrong, you just don't get much action. EM

We have always been able to enjoy the company of new friends whether we have signed up for the RC or not. I should think that on a Windstar cruise with 300 passengers, you might get to know quite a few of them! :)

That's one of the things I love about ships around he 500 mark, you get to meet pretty much everyone, but aren't pushed into contact with anyone you aren't keen on.

Much smaller and there's limited chance of avoiding some people much larger and you can't meet many of your fellow travelers.

Cruise critic members are such a small percentage of cruisers and then it may depend on the itinerary as to if a roll call is even wanted or required, as some people want to meet others while other people only want information and to share tours.

The Windstar board has a fair number of regular posters, most of whom, including me, have cruised many times with Windstar. Post your comments or questions there and you'll get answers. The grand total of all the passengers cruising on all the Windstar ships at any given time is a fraction of just one of the mega ships with the large mainstream cruise lines.

Roll calls can be a good place to get info, but there are a lot of other sources, including the specific cruise line board here, or the Ports of Call boards.

As for meeting others pre-cruise -- well, I've been cruising with Voyages to Antiquity since 2010. With one ship of about 350 pax, there has rarely been a chance to chat with someone on my specific cruise before embarkation. Nevertheless I've met some fantastic people on board and I keep going back. :)

Active roll class also depend on departure port and itin. In our experience, ports that have a small number of ships and the same itin well after week have puny roll calls. The more unusual the itin, the more active the roll call.

Edited by SadieN

Sometimes it just depends on who's on a specific roll call. I've been on some that 50 or so folks end up at the M&G once we're onboard, but there were not a lot of posts and sometimes there's only been 20 or so at a M&G but there are 4 or 5 times as many posts. A lot of times the posts end up being only 2 or 3 people that are kind of running a personal conversation back and forth with each other, oblivious to anyone else on the roll call.

Sometimes it just depends on who's on a specific roll call. I've been on some that 50 or so folks end up at the M&G once we're onboard, but there were not a lot of posts and sometimes there's only been 20 or so at a M&G but there are 4 or 5 times as many posts. A lot of times the posts end up being only 2 or 3 people that are kind of running a personal conversation back and forth with each other, oblivious to anyone else on the roll call.

Agree! That does happen and discourages others. :(

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is a godsend to me. I have been on the active side of the roll call threads for a long time. However, this time the thread for my upcoming cruise was started almost a year ago for a cruise now 8 months away. I notice it was quite active up till the end of Dec then dropped off, I can see why...the usual stuff, but.....This one seems like a few people have "cliqued" the thread, ignoring others, some posts I have written have gone "overlooked" or have gotten a condecending answer. I do have my big girl panties on, and I can cruise without this group, but my "sadness" is that new cruisers who may want to get involved with this thread, reading the posts may as well turn tail and run. Too bad, because they may never come back to CC. Actually the last post reads.....And to all, a good night

Well, you can't force/require members to join roll calls. Some are just more enthusiastic than others. Windstar being a much smaller line with much fewer, smaller ships... Unless something goes wrong, you just don't get much action. EM

Yep, not sure what they want anyone to do about it?

In my opinion, some of the lack of activity is because theses threads are started years in advance of the cruise, I see on the roll call list, there are threads started for 2030, which I think is a mistake, of course there are more for the 20's. There should be a limitation of when the threads can be started, say 6 months out, this way people are more committed to the actual cruise, and final payment is up soon. If you start a thread 2 years out, lots of things happen....life changes.....but again IMO, a lot of cruising attitudes have changed too. Entitlement, status and ability to cruise more often

On the roll call for my Carnival cruise there was a discussion going on about how much of the planning was being done on facebook. I think with a younger demographic this might be where the Meet-n-Greet action is.

On the roll call for my Carnival cruise there was a discussion going on about how much of the planning was being done on facebook. I think with a younger demographic this might be where the Meet-n-Greet action is.

On my upcoming cruise, someone also made a "webpage" and the place you mentioned. However, the webpage is blank with activity and the "other page" nothing had been posted since January and when the question was posed the answers were, everyones busy.