Is Koningsdam not selling well?

OVgirl

I was just looking at the availability of cabins on the April 8 sailing of Koningsdam and noticed that there are lots of them still available. I'm not sure if that means the ship isn't very full. I would have expected that one month before sailing there wouldn't be much left. I know they still have to assign guarantees, but wondering if I'm seeing this wrong?

It is possible they are held back for contractors to do finishing work, or people avoiding the first sailing due to potential for unfinished work. Personally I would never risk thousands, let alone spend a premium, to be first to sail a ship. let someone else beta test the kinks out of the system. Another possibility is travel agents holding blocks of rooms; they are unsold but could go back into general inventory shortly.

Only Holland America knows and they are not telling. I suspect that Koningsdam is not selling well. No categories are sold out. My preferred internet site lists insides from $799 and suites from $1999, that does not sound like a premium for a seven night sailing.

Like LMaxwell, I do not want to risk an inaugural sailing.

I think a lot of people may be waiting until she comes to the Caribbean so that the glitches have been worked out and they won't have to spend as much for air fare. Like me!

:D

Edited by jtl513

I wouldn't want to sail a brand new ship until we start to get great reports about her. I'd rather wait until the crew gets in rhythm working together, the 'punch list' items are finished, whatever kinks are worked out.... especially the first of a new Class of Ships.

I also wonder if fears of terrorism may be keeping some from visiting Europe this summer.

That means that many tourists also decide not to travel to the Caribbean as many countries 'around' the Caribbean are are even more dangerous.

Europe is large continent and not many Europeans are fleeing away, running from 'danger' I believe :cool:

Based on prices, I get the impression she's selling rather well. I'm looking at 2017 for the Caribbean and European seasons, and I cannot afford the current rates.

As I've mentioned more than once on the HAL boards, I'm booked to the Baltics in September 2017 on Norwegian Getaway because a comparable statetroom is $500 less on a per-night basis and $1,400 less overall because Koningsdam's sailing is 5 nights longer than Getaway's. That's just one imperfect example, but I'm going to have to wait for prices to drop a bit. Perhaps when Pinnacle II sets sail I will give Koningsdam a try on a non-charter.

From the other side of the pond ;) : I have noticed that Europe this year really doesn't seem to be selling well, especially the spring months up to June. There are LOTS of special offers for Med cruises at bargain prices - Celebrity or Royal Caribbean for example are offering its Solstice-class ships for under 100$ p.P/day in a balcony cabin. You could have an extra-large balcony cabin on the brand-new Carnival Vista for even less - I saw 850$ p.p. (approx. compared to Euro prices) for a 10-day cruise.

The unrest in Turkey as well as the unsolved refugee crisis in the Eastern Med is the reason in my opinion. I have read that bookings for countries like Turkey and Greece have dropped by almost 40% whereas Spain, the Canaries , Majorca etc. profit in regard to bookings. And there's A LOT of cruise ships sailing the Med this year!!

Unfortunately we have already booked with another cruise line for April - I would have loved to take up one of the offers for the first Koningsdam cruises in April and May. Prices are really LOW for these first few cruises, sometimes a free flight is included:eek:. On the other hand prices for the Koningsdam have decidedly risen for the fall months and ( for example) for the transatlantic.

The cruise that is quite low-priced now departs in just four weeks. While I loved our visit to Turkey and Istanbul, with Turkey in the news almost daily one could understand a reluctance from some to visit there. It is also just the second sailing of a new ship, an attraction to some but as noted already, a concern for others.

The following, Western Med sailing is a little higher priced, and the May sailings must be nearly sold out as pricing is quite healthy.

If I had the time (I don't, regretfully) and could make the airfare work, I would be tempted to try one of the April sailings after the first one.

It is possible they are held back for contractors to do finishing work, or people avoiding the first sailing due to potential for unfinished work. Personally I would never risk thousands, let alone spend a premium, to be first to sail a ship. let someone else beta test the kinks out of the system. Another possibility is travel agents holding blocks of rooms; they are unsold but could go back into general inventory shortly.

While I agree there could be some cabins held back for invited guests and contractors. Contrary to popular belief Travel Agents DO NOT hold blocks of cabins unless they have an extremely Large group and put down a deposit for what they feel they could sell. But this is all finalized and released prior to final payment . At 22 days from sailing No Travel agency could possibly hold cabins.

What I believe happened is Hal was holding out cabins for possible guests of vendors and others and after confirmation of those they found they could release these cabins because of not as many sailing. But it was only a few weeks ago that suddenly many categories had more cabins.

But for the most part Koningsdam is selling quite well so Hal has no reason to drop prices.

When we booked in December, 2014, there were no Signature or Neptune suites available. Not long ago, a bunch of them opened up. Rumor has it the reason was a lot of people "jumped ship" to be on the Christening Cruise. Worked out great for us - we upgraded to a Signature Suite. I watched our returned veranda cabin and it was gone the next day.

While I agree there could be some cabins held back for invited guests and contractors. Contrary to popular belief Travel Agents DO NOT hold blocks of cabins unless they have an extremely Large group and put down a deposit for what they feel they could sell. But this is all finalized and released prior to final payment . At 22 days from sailing No Travel agency could possibly hold cabins.

What I believe happened is Hal was holding out cabins for possible guests of vendors and others and after confirmation of those they found they could release these cabins because of not as many sailing. But it was only a few weeks ago that suddenly many categories had more cabins.

But for the most part Koningsdam is selling quite well so Hal has no reason to drop prices.

I am quite happy to see there is still a wide variety of cabins open.

It's about time for the upgrade fairy to start spreading her magic wings[emoji3]

Just waiting for her to visit me[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We booked our Koningsdam cabin for a Dec cruise 6 months ago and glad we did, as prices for our cabin category have DOUBLED since we booked (and it has been this way for months, so not just a "blip".

We're booked for the 10-DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN SEAFARER departing November 9. The price of our cabin has more than doubled since we booked.

We had also booked the 4-day Bahamas cruise immediately before, but decided that with its first arrival in the US causing possible delays a late departure time to begin with, it wouldn't be worth it. I guess others feel the same way, as the cost of our cabin is actually lower today than when we put a hold on it last July.

I'm not surprised that her maiden voyage next month has vacancies. The "thrill" of being on the first cruise doesn't outweigh the potential for disruptions as they iron out the wrinkles.

Edited by Fouremco

We're booked for the 10-DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN SEAFARER departing November 9. The price of our cabin has more than doubled since we booked.

We had also booked the 4-day Bahamas cruise immediately before, but decided that with its first arrival in the US causing possible delays a late departure time to begin with, it wouldn't be worth it. I guess others feel the same way, as the cost of our cabin is actually lower today than when we put a hold on it last July.

I'm not surprised that her maiden voyage next month has vacancies. The "thrill" of being on the first cruise doesn't outweigh the potential for disruptions as they iron out the wrinkles.

I'm on that cruise also. There haven't been any Neptune Suites available for weeks - they've been sold out 7 months in advance. The price of my suite has gone up $500 and that doesn't include the Explore 4 package that I have.

We are considering a back to back April 15 and April 27 on the Koningsdam. The prices are very tempting. However, we have never cruised on such a large ship and I am concerned about booking a guarantee inside. Is it possible that the less desirable insides are super small, like some on the Prinsendam where you have to sit on the bed if you order room service?

Just for clarity the 10 day starts on the 13th. The 14 day starts on the 9th.

Interesting post, Lisa. Thanks.

Do you find European across the various brands are selling well or are bookings a little slow? I have read too many comments about fears of terror attacks, worries about economy, unease in general to not wonder if some people are choosing to stay close to home.

Interesting post, Lisa. Thanks.

Do you find European across the various brands are selling well or are bookings a little slow? I have read too many comments about fears of terror attacks, worries about economy, unease in general to not wonder if some people are choosing to stay close to home.

Actually I think Europe is selling pretty well this year, a lot has to do with the US dollar being strong. I think a few travelers are a bit worried but not like you would think. There are some good deals out there for Europe but overall I think they are about the same as last year. Cruise lines had anticipated stronger sales this year so the prices started out high but with some of the threats of recent the cruise lines have started to reduce pricing. But they also did this last year. So far not seeing the prices dip as low as last year but time will tell, it is still early ;)

Overall I think travel is way up and spending much higher this year for US citizens. A bit of a drop in Canadian but not as much as expected.

I know of more people traveling to Europe this year than in the past two years. The Spring TA cruises have sold very well with not nearly the giveaway pricing.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS