Explore 4 package

pdw26

We are going on an Alaska cruise in July and have the explore 4 package. DW is teatotal and does not like coffee or cola drinks. Perhaps easier to say what she likes - carbonated mineral water, herbal teas, non-alcoholic cocktails (mocktails). Do you have any suggestions for her on the drinks package that is part of the explore 4 package?

Second question it is our ruby wedding anniversary on 10 July (sailing on 9 July Neuiw Amsterdam), we would like to eat in Pinnacle, which is part of the package. But you don't seem to be able to pre-book as part of the package only if you prepay. Given a lot of cruisers are prob on explore 4 I imagine it might be difficult to get an exact day onboard (which is when I assume you must book your complimentary dinner), so how might we guarantee our special night will be special? I guess we could book in advance in the oriental restaurant, and pinnacle on another night. Would that be as special (we like oriental food)? Don't really want to pre-book as have some OBC to use, but I guess we could find other treats for the OBC. Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you

Your wife will not have any issues finding non-alcholic or other beverages to drink. Just check the bar menu for mocktails. Bottled water and mineral water, and tea at the Explorations Cafe, would also be covered under the SBP portion of the Explore4 package.

As for the dinner, I would suggest that you do make, and prepay, the dining reservation for the Pinnacle Grill, or Tamarind, for the anniversary dinner. That way you are assured to get the date and time you want. The E4 reservations are made around the pre-booked times so the times for the free dinner are typically in less desirable time slots. Once you get onboard, you may find the E4 reservation in your cabin, or you might have to contact the venue yourself; I've experienced it both ways. If the reservation is not to your liking, then go up to the restaurant and see if you can exchange the E4 reservation to apply to your existing reservation. Your shipboard account should be credited with the amount prepaid. I know this will increase your OBC but you should have no issues using that up, what with the hotel service charge, laundry service (highly recommended), bingo, shopping, etc.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Your wife will not have any issues finding non-alcholic or other beverages to drink. Just check the bar menu for mocktails. Bottled water and mineral water, and tea at the Explorations Cafe, would also be covered under the SBP portion of the Explore4 package.

As for the dinner, I would suggest that you do make, and prepay, the dining reservation for the Pinnacle Grill, or Tamarind, for the anniversary dinner. That way you are assured to get the date and time you want. The E4 reservations are made around the pre-booked times so the times for the free dinner are typically in less desirable time slots. Once you get onboard, you may find the E4 reservation in your cabin, or you might have to contact the venue yourself; I've experienced it both ways. If the reservation is not to your liking, then go up to the restaurant and see if you can exchange the E4 reservation to apply to your existing reservation. Your shipboard account should be credited with the amount prepaid. I know this will increase your OBC but you should have no issues using that up, what with the hotel service charge, laundry service (highly recommended), bingo, shopping, etc.

I agree, pre-book the dinner at the PG, you will get the date and time you want. You may enjoy it so much you can use the free dinner another night. Your Explore 4 dinner will be set for you when you board, date and time. The card will be waiting for you in your cabin.

You can always go directly to the PG when you board, they will already have your dinner reservation in the system. You can then plead your case:) you MAY be able to get the date and time you want but it won't be a guarantee. Congrat's on your anniversary, it's special and if you want to take away the worry I would book it now.

As stated before. Go and book the reservation and pay online for the day/time you want. Then get on board and let the manager know of your intentions. You will get refunded for the meal back as an OBC. This is exactly what I did last cruise for our anniversary.

We are going on an Alaska cruise in July and have the explore 4 package. DW is teatotal and does not like coffee or cola drinks. Perhaps easier to say what she likes - carbonated mineral water, herbal teas, non-alcoholic cocktails (mocktails). Do you have any suggestions for her on the drinks package that is part of the explore 4 package?

Thank you

Here is the Bar Menu that I scanned Nov 2015:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu.pdf

Here is the Explorations Cafe (Deck 10) Menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Explorations-Cafe.pdf

I agree, pre-book the dinner at the PG, you will get the date and time you want. You may enjoy it so much you can use the free dinner another night. Your Explore 4 dinner will be set for you when you board, date and time. The card will be waiting for you in your cabin.

You can always go directly to the PG when you board, they will already have your dinner reservation in the system. You can then plead your case:) you MAY be able to get the date and time you want but it won't be a guarantee. Congrat's on your anniversary, it's special and if you want to take away the worry I would book it now.

We've never had a comp'd specialty restaurant before and we have Explore4 on our next Zuiderdam cruise. I had thought that you had no choice but to visit the Pinnacle Grill upon boarding to make the reservation for the day/time you wanted but it sounds like it may be pre-booked for us (with a card in the cabin with that reservation info)?

Second question it is our ruby wedding anniversary on 10 July (sailing on 9 July Neuiw Amsterdam), we would like to eat in Pinnacle, which is part of the package. But you don't seem to be able to pre-book as part of the package only if you prepay. Given a lot of cruisers are prob on explore 4 I imagine it might be difficult to get an exact day onboard (which is when I assume you must book your complimentary dinner), so how might we guarantee our special night will be special? I guess we could book in advance in the oriental restaurant, and pinnacle on another night. Would that be as special (we like oriental food)? Don't really want to pre-book as have some OBC to use, but I guess we could find other treats for the OBC. Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you

----

While we enjoyed the Pinnacle, I was much more impressed with the Tamarind. The service was outstanding - they really made us feel special (twice) on our Nov 2015 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. If I were celebrating a special anniversary, I would go to the Tamarind. Be sure to have a cocktail (or mocktail) in the Silk Den before or after your dinner!

We had the Explore 4 Promotion included with our booking on our last cruise, which was a 7 day cruise. We had both a Canaletto dinner and a PG dinner included in this package and upon boarding, we learned from the Dining Room Manager that we were booked at the Pinnacle Grill that first night and Canaletto the second night. So we never got to the MDR until the 3rd night for our normal 8 p.m. Main Seating. At the risk of veering off topic, I would like to point out that it really changed our normal routine of getting to know our regular waitstaff in the MDR at the beginning of our cruise, which we really enjoy. As a result, the rest of the week felt disjointed and that was compounded when our waiter was ill the 4th night and was not able to work. Others tried to fill in for him, but it did not go very smoothly. If we had it to do again, I would have tried to change the PG and Canaletto dinners to later in the week since we are creatures of habit and like to start off in the MDR to establish a relationship with our regular waitstaff and wine steward. I realize that this might not be important to some, but to others who have a set routine in the MDR, just some "food for thought"........

We had the Explore 4 Promotion included with our booking on our last cruise, which was a 7 day cruise. We had both a Canaletto dinner and a PG dinner included in this package and upon boarding, we learned from the Dining Room Manager that we were booked at the Pinnacle Grill that first night and Canaletto the second night. So we never got to the MDR until the 3rd night for our normal 8 p.m. Main Seating. At the risk of veering off topic, I would like to point out that it really changed our normal routine of getting to know our regular waitstaff in the MDR at the beginning of our cruise, which we really enjoy. As a result, the rest of the week felt disjointed and that was compounded when our waiter was ill the 4th night and was not able to work. Others tried to fill in for him, but it did not go very smoothly. If we had it to do again, I would have tried to change the PG and Canaletto dinners to later in the week since we are creatures of habit and like to start off in the MDR to establish a relationship with our regular waitstaff and wine steward. I realize that this might not be important to some, but to others who have a set routine in the MDR, just some "food for thought"........

I agree completely. While some people do not care for the MDR, it is one of the best times of the day for me. I enjoy getting to know our servers and look forward to the chit chat with them as they serve us. We sailed on the NA last week and had the Dine Around Package. Our dinners in the specialty restaurants were all set when we boarded but we were able to change the time on all of them. We prefer the 8 p.m. slot in all of the restaurants, and they had us down for 6:30 on two of the nights. Since we went straight to the area outside of the Lido where there is a podium with a staff member making reservations as soon as we boarded, we were able to make the changes we wanted. I would think that you would be able to get the reservation you want if you make this the first thing you do when you board.

Thanks for all your help. Will pre-book the Tamarind for special night and enjoy Pinnacle when HA slot us in. Look forward to cocktails in Silk den also. I assume that cocktails are not included in the drinks package as too expensive, so that looks to have solved what we spend OBC on, though if mocktails are on the package that could cause a few interesting discussions. Anyone know the price of mocktails?

Also if you order a drink that is above the drinks package price do you pay full price for it or full price less the $8 in the package? (I think I know the answer, but just in case I am wrong)

Thanks for all your help. Will pre-book the Tamarind for special night and enjoy Pinnacle when HA slot us in. Look forward to cocktails in Silk den also. I assume that cocktails are not included in the drinks package as too expensive, so that looks to have solved what we spend OBC on, though if mocktails are on the package that could cause a few interesting discussions. Anyone know the price of mocktails?

Also if you order a drink that is above the drinks package price do you pay full price for it or full price less the $8 in the package? (I think I know the answer, but just in case I am wrong)

My scanned Bar Menu shows mocktails are $4.50. You pay full price for drinks that are more than $8.

Most cocktails are included in the package. As long as the menu price is less than $8, they are. As CN says, for those beverages over $8, they are charged in full to your onboard account.

I so agree with you. That first night in the MDR doesn't always go smoothly, but it is almost like "bonding" time with your servers, and everyone getting to know one another. We always look forward to our dinner on the first night, and would do the PG or Canaletto later in the cruise.

I assume that cocktails are not included in the drinks package as too expensive, ....

Then good news! (or not, if you're having trouble finding a way to spend OBC ;))

Most cocktails are under the $8. SBP allowance, so will be covered. Mocktails cost even less, of course.

Completely agree also. If, when we board, we find either of our comp'd reservations are for that first night, we will definitely visit the restaurant(s) and ask to be changed to later in the cruise.

Edited by joepeka

Then good news! (or not, if you're having trouble finding a way to spend OBC ;))

Most cocktails are under the $8. SBP allowance, so will be covered. Mocktails cost even less, of course.

Thanks, very helpful. Sorry to be such a newby. Although this will be our 6th cruise we gave always gone for last minute cheap deals, so no drinks package, OBC, comp dinner etc. Also first time on HA. The date and itinerary was so important on this trip we booked well in advance so we could plan everything else around it.

Sorry to be such a newby.

Nothing to be "sorry" about; we were all new once.

Someday you will have experience at something that allows you to answer a question for another newbie---and you will!

We were on the Eurodam in February and got the Explore 4 with Pinnacle included. We were a party of 8 and went to the Pinnacle not long after boarding and were able to pick the date and time. Some of the dates/times were booked but we were not pre-assigned a date/time, or if we were they did not indicate that.

• 3 months later...

Sailing 29th July on Nieuw Amsterdam. Have the Explore 4 deal.

On Celebrity the first night on board the speciality restaurants have a big discount. Can see why the PG is pre reserved for the first night as part of the Explore 4 as no one wants to go! We will make it our first job to change the booking. We arrive in Vancouver from the UK the day before our sailing and will still be very jet lagged the first night. Pointless to have a speciality restaurant and not be able to fully enjoy the experience.

Can anyone explain the drinks package we will have with this deal? Is it a fixed amount per day or a fixed number of drinks.

Have taken many cruises with other lines but this is our first with HAL. Hope we enjoy it as we have already booked a New Year Caribbean cruise on Eurodam.

Sailing 29th July on Nieuw Amsterdam. Have the Explore 4 deal.

Can anyone explain the drinks package we will have with this deal? Is it a fixed amount per day or a fixed number of drinks.

Up to 15 drinks per day with no drink costing more than $8.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu1-1.pdf

We enjoyed our NA cruise May 2016 and here is my photo review of the ship:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

Edited by Crew News

Wouldn't the OBC credited to their account be "refundable" since it is a refund of a payment? If unspent, wouldn't this "refundable" OBC returned to the credit card at the end of the cruise?

Thank you

It's your anniversary. Spend the $58 and make the reservation. I don't know why you couldn't cancel onboard and switch the time slot to your freebie. As good as it is, i'd eat here twice!