Princess Cruises cancelled my cruise promised me the world then changed it.

tinkky

You can record anyone on any call if you are using it to have an accurate personal record of what was said.

It is only if you are looking to bring it to court where it can become an issue.

I think if you state "I am recording this call" when you turn on the recorder, and you have the other party acknowledge that it is being recorded, you're covered. (But that's just a humble opinion.)

So - what happens if they don't get enough takers for the move-over offers? If they need six balconies and they only get four or five, what happens to the passengers who are hoping to get IN to number Five or Six?

Maddle

I think if you state "I am recording this call" when you turn on the recorder, and you have the other party acknowledge that it is being recorded, you're covered. (But that's just a humble opinion.)

So - what happens if they don't get enough takers for the move-over offers? If they need six balconies and they only get four or five, what happens to the passengers who are hoping to get IN to number Five or Six?

Maddle

They keep increasing the offer. Instead of getting their money back and one free 7 night cruise, it could be a free 12 night European cruise with air. I have heard my TA tell me when they are really desperate, sometimes the extreme the customer suggests is accepted by Princess. I have even heard of someone negotiating 2 free great cruises for accepting a move over on another cruise.

I once tried to counter and they declined it. They were not in that huge of need, they thought (and obviously did) get enough move over people to accept.

One time, I got called 3x and declined 3x on a move over offer. Each time, it was a better offer.

Edited by Coral

I have even heard of someone negotiating 2 free great cruises for accepting a move over on another cruise.

Hey T-

I think that might be me-

Here is what we gave up:

- 1 balcony for a 10 cruise to Indonesia (rountrip Singapore) on the Sapphire.

Here is what we received:

- 1 10 day cruise anywhere in the US, Mexico, Caribbean, or Canada in a full suite

- 1 15 day cruise anywhere in the world in a full suite

- change air fees to $300 (SA refunded our tickets in full)

- full cruise fare back in refundable OBC

Bonus

- They added another $500 on the ship (we have no idea)

- Extra dinner in the Crown- above the suite benefit.

It was really too good to pass up.

BTW- We have sailed the two cruises and everything that that Princess promised, they delivered plus more.

Hey T-

Here is what we gave up:

- 1 10 day cruise anywhere in the US, Mexico, Caribbean, or Canada in a full suite

Bonus

BTW- We have sailed the two cruises and everything that that Princess promised, they delivered plus more.

Definitely an amazing offer! You did well!

I have had to turn down every offer I have had. Hoping in the future I will get some good ones like you got and be able to take advantage of it!

Edited by Coral

You can record anyone on any call if you are using it to have an accurate personal record of what was said.

It is only if you are looking to bring it to court where it can become an issue.

I found this explanation of general digital media law (See below) and it states "Must have consent of every party....to make the recording lawful." I was working in a call center in Maryland when the two part consent law was passed. Back then I knew the details better, but my memory is a bit hazy. I do remember if the customer said they were recording the call we were not to go on (Which seems a bit silly since we recorded every in-bound call to our call centers-There was a message that stated the call was being recorded before you would be connected to a person)

When must you get permission from everyone involved before recording?

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Notes: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014; (2) Hawai'i is in general a one-party state, but requires two-party consent if the recording device is installed in a private place; (3) Massachusetts bans "secret" recordings rather than requiring explicit consent from all parties.). Although they are referred to as "two-party consent" laws, consent must be obtained from every party to a phone call or conversation if it involves more than two people. In some of these states, it might be enough if all parties to the call or conversation know that you are recording and proceed with the communication anyway, even if they do not voice explicit consent

I found this explanation of general digital media law (See below) and it states "Must have consent of every party....to make the recording lawful." I was working in a call center in Maryland when the two part consent law was passed. Back then I knew the details better, but my memory is a bit hazy. I do remember if the customer said they were recording the call we were not to go on (Which seems a bit silly since we recorded every in-bound call to our call centers-There was a message that stated the call was being recorded before you would be connected to a person)

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Notes: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014; (2) Hawai'i is in general a one-party state, but requires two-party consent if the recording device is installed in a private place; (3) Massachusetts bans "secret" recordings rather than requiring explicit consent from all parties.). Although they are referred to as "two-party consent" laws, consent must be obtained from every party to a phone call or conversation if it involves more than two people. In some of these states, it might be enough if all parties to the call or conversation know that you are recording and proceed with the communication anyway, even if they do not voice explicit consent

Yes, lawful, as in admissible in a court of law. If you are simply recording so that you can have an accurate recounting for your personal use, no notice need be made. You aren't trying to use anything against someone; you are just taking accurate notes for yourself.

If I am told the call is being recorded, then everyone knows the call is being recorded and I feel no obligation to warn that it is being recorded by both of us.

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful.

In Texas, just one of the parties needs to know the call is being recorded. If you are one of the parties and are recording it, that satisfies the law.

Hey T-

Here is what we gave up:

Bonus

Wow!!!!!!

Hmmm... I don't think I am pushing a TA. I am simply sharing my experience which included my TA. If controlling your booking works for you- then good on you. Having a TA works for me- so that is what I will share about.

You do you.

Tracie

I also agree that a good TA is invaluable in situations like this (and actually in ANY situation where you have to negotiate anything with the cruise line).

We had to turn down our one move over offer but our TA emailed us (it was for the second leg of a B2B and we were already on the first leg) and she had negotiated a really nice package for us.

Our TA always wins awards from Princess (and other lines) so she does a LOT of business with them and has a lot more influence than we ever would.

Travel agents deal with Move Over Offers all the time. They have far more experience with this compared to the average cruiser.

I do think a Travel Agent would have been firm about the offer and fought if they changed it. A TA fighting for you means a whole lot more then a cruiser. They want to keep my TA happy who does millions with them as opposed to the average cruiser who does thousands with them per year.

I think having a TA would have prevented this situation from happening. Glad that it worked out for the OP.

-------

Cruzsnooze - As far as pushing for use of a TA, you consistently push for not using one. I don't see the difference. In this case, I think having one would have eliminated the situation.

The OP asked a question that didn't include a question about TA's. It doesn't serve any purpose to close the barn door after the horse got out. It would be appropriate to answer the question. When the question comes up about using VS not using a TA it's appropriate to respond but that was not the case here. I think all TA's should be required to include that with their signatures so members can decide if their answers can be taken with a grain of salt.

Got a call from princess stating that they wanted my cabin

they offered me

1.money back

2. free 3 night cruise

3.on board credit of the total amount less taxes

4.amount towards airfare to get me home.( 150) and the flights cost me $215 each

I repeated the offer

I got a letter after asking for it which was a little different( just no on board credit)

called them they said no just the on board credit.no refund

I asked what if I decide to not do the cruise

well I loose everything and I have to decide NOW when in the next 12 mths that I want to use it.

why would I not go on a cruise I had already booked if i HAVE to find another cruise & pay for flights I didnt want to take . and if a 3 day cruise pay for flights to a place I dont want to go to.

are they idiots???

the point is

tape every call they make to you

they will not give u a copy of the tape.!!!

I also had an on board credit of $250 which is now missing from the pretend booking they have in place.

The OP asked a question that didn't include a question about TA's. It doesn't serve any purpose to close the barn door after the horse got out. It would be appropriate to answer the question. When the question comes up about using VS not using a TA it's appropriate to respond but that was not the case here. I think all TA's should be required to include that with their signatures so members can decide if their answers can be taken with a grain of salt.

OP didn't really ask a question.

Just got on here to vent and to warn others - which is fine.

Those of us recommending TAs weren't suggesting using one as a solution to the OP but it does fit in the "warning to others" part.

I am NOT a TA and get nothing from recommending one other than any other advice I would give on here that I thought could help someone.

The OP did not ask a question.

I don't believe anyone posting to this thread are Travel Agents as I know some of them or know people who know them. We are just cruisers.

You seem to think everyone who recommends using a TA is a TA. You are very wrong.

Edited by Coral

Typically they need a cabin in that category and you are next on the list to make an offer to. If you don't take it they move on to someone else or switch to a higher category. People who live near the ports take these offers all the time.

It varies but I think it is rare that it is a specific cabin. I have had move-over offers on probably 1/3 of my cruises. They either want a specific type of cabin (balconies) or anyone.....

In my move-over offers, mostly they are targeting types of cabins. One one cruise - I had a balcony and my friend had an outside cabin. I was offered the move over offer and he wasn't. My TA called to see if he could get the move-over offer and was told they oversold balcony cabins, so the answer was no.

On another - they were oversold on insides on a Thanksgiving cruise. We were offered a move over to an outside cabin the next week and I declined (trying to get air would have been a nightmare). At the pier, we were upgraded to an outside cabin.

On another cruise, it was way undersold and then all of a sudden it booked up quickly, overnight actually. I had an inside cabin and was doing a B2B in May in Alaska. I was offered a move over offer and they were willing to do whatever to move my B2B to another week or another ship (free cruise with all my money back). I turned it down. Once on the ship, I found out that at the last minute, they booked 1/3 of the ship to an Asian group. This group brought their own translators, organized their own tours, etc... In this case - they wanted anyone to move to accommodate this large group that filled a ship (actually oversold the ship) that Princess was having a difficult time filling.

Yes, these are all thoughtful answers;) You all confirmed my thoughts. I do believe often it is a last minute large group they r trying to get situated, a family that wants cabins in a row or in my case a screw up either by the TA or Princess and they do want ur particular cabin.

Just for the record... I am not a TA. I just happen to think that my TA really works hard for me.

I hope I fall into the thoughtful category...

I think they want your cabin type. When we received our move over on the Sapphire (out of Singapore), we were told they needed balcony cabins. They had first approached the people who were local- those in Singapore, then the people in the Asian countries, then Australia/ Russia, then US/ Canada. By the time they got to us, desparation had set in and we received a very nice package from Princess.

They were very specific about wanting 6 balcony cabins for that sailing.

I hope this helps.

Tracie, I did include u in my multi-post above but it didn't show, yes u r in the thoughtful group;)

oops..you posted in between refer to #40.

Edited by land lover

Tracie, I did include u in my multi-post above but it didn't show, yes u r in the thoughtful group;)

oops..you posted in between refer to #40.

Awwww... thanks!:o

In spite of a few opinions, I really do try to be as helpful as I can.

I have learned so much from these boards, I feel obligated to give back! (plus there is the added bonus of fun and friendship!)

Just for the record... I am not a TA. I just happen to think that my TA really works hard for me.

Well, I want ur TA.:D I think they can be most valuable.

I posted my situation when it happened to me a year and a half ago and I know some on this thread responded.

This is what happened to me when princess moved me from a cabin I had made final payment on without even calling me, and when inquiring about the reason I was transferred to customer relations,(I had booked directly w Princess) and the first 2 reps(sups?) I dealt with were down right rude.

The importance of a TA to Princess

To put the situation in a nut shell, I had paid in full, mini-suite E731 2 weeks before final payment. Final payment day came, and a few days after they moved my cabin a few cabins down...I just happened to be looking at my personalizer and noticed the change. After some research with the Princess team it was determined that the original booking on that cabin was upgraded to a mid-mini suite and now wanted my cabin back, so they just gave it to them. Who made all this happened a TA. and Princess told me I was just SOL at first, I had to negotiate for myself, wished I would have booked with a TA.

Edited by land lover

to their credit they got back to me very quickly

as I have the letter stating full refund they are doing that and the 3 days cruise and the airfare credit.

he listened to the call and said that it was ambiguous which it was....

The offer was ambiguous, according to this update from the OP. The one time we received an offer, it was too late. We were already back from our cruise by the time I read the email. In our case, Princess emailed instead of phoning.

How does your always pushing a TA help the OP get his issue solved. I don't use a TA because they always screw everything up and why have a middleman for something you can do better yourself.

OP, Glad it worked out for you. I can't tape a cell hone call so you have shown me to get an email before accepting any move over offer.

If you are under the impression that TA's always screw everything up, then it sounds like you need a new TA. A good TA is worth their weight in gold, particularly when unexpected things happen.

So let me get this straight. You get a full refund for what you paid, an onboard credit for what you paid (minus port fees and taxes) and a free cruise? Sounds like a triple bonus! Wish I would receive an offer like that. Only offer I ever received came in the form of a letter that was received after we had already sailed.

So let me get this straight. You get a full refund for what you paid, an onboard credit for what you paid (minus port fees and taxes) and a free cruise? Sounds like a triple bonus! Wish I would receive an offer like that. Only offer I ever received came in the form of a letter that was received after we had already sailed.

I believe the full refund was in the form of the refundable OBC, thus getting it once, not twice.

The day before our first Princess cruise in 2003, we found a message from Princess saying our cruise was overbook but don't worry, we still have our cabin. Then the offer: full refund and upgrade to a balcony -- we were in the lowest category inside -- if we postpone our cruise for a few weeks. We didn't call back as we were raring to go (lived within driving distance to the port so no flights or hotels to change but were all ready).

We've received an email offering half off our fare for a more recent cruise if we changed our sailing date, but again, didn't respond. (in this case, that was the only time we could go on a cruise due to school schedule)

Couldn't exactly follow what the OP was stating in the first post but it doesn't sound like it was Princess who had cancelled their cruise...if you don't respond, you'll still have your booking. Maybe the OP had received a call instead of an email because it was at the last minute.