meaning of key card color

106f

I've had a subtle shade of gold key card on two neptune cruises so I assume this lets the crew know you're in a neptune suite. It seems I've also had blue and maybe green on cruises where I was in a signature suite or ocean view. Does anyone know how many colors there are and what they mean?

• 8 months later...

Since posting #2 above we've been on Koningsdam where our cards for a veranda cabin were light gray with a blue band across the bottom, with the RFID symbol.

Some people also have cards with a silver stripe, instead of gold or blue. What does silver signify?
What stripe? Edited by jtl513

I learn something new every day on this board! :)

I remember a green card and just checked my stash of ship cards: we got green cards when we had a Mariner's brunch on the Eurodam on her first US visit in New York Labor Day weekend 2008 and then again when we sailed on her February 2009. :)

I remember a green card and just checked my stash of ship cards: we got green cards when we had a Mariner's brunch on the Eurodam on her first US visit in New York Labor Day weekend 2008 and then again when we sailed on her February 2009. :)
And we were on the first E'dam cruise out of Port Everglades, a 3-day just to Bahamas, and got blue cards. Strange. :)

Started last cruise with new style white card with orange strip at bottom. When we made 4 star Mariners during the cruise the front desk exchanged our cards for white cards with blue stripe at bottom. Our room was an OV.

A friend on board who was 4 stars, staying in a balcony room who had a white card with an orange strip at bottom and was told they had run out of the blue striped cards.

No understanding here! Just observations. m--

Our card on Maasdam just had a small yellow coloured band across the bottom of the card, where the blue stripe is, on the 3rd card pictured.

Clearly, what we have here is another way for HAL to make a little more money from cruisers at no additional expense to HAL. Picture the ad

”Choose your own card color, Any color that suits your fancy. Only $25 per cruise.”

I can just see it coming…

Scott & Karen

The switch from magnetic stripe and optical bar codes to RFID is the next logical step. RFIDs can be embedded in cards, for those looking for a traditional option. The question in my mind is whether Disney has some kind of legal lock on embedding RFID in bracelets. They're currently using the mechanism at their theme parks and hotels, as well as in the youth club aboard their ships. The convenience of having the access mechanism physically attached to you in a way such that you don't have to put down what you're carrying to take out a separate card is significant. And, along the lines of what CaveDiving said, as soon as you go from card to bracelet, it opens the door to upcharges for a superior quality bracelet perhaps. Disney goes "whole hog" at their parks, selling myriad ways to adorn your bracelet.

The switch from magnetic stripe and optical bar codes to RFID is the next logical step. RFIDs can be embedded in cards, for those looking for a traditional option. The question in my mind is whether Disney has some kind of legal lock on embedding RFID in bracelets. They're currently using the mechanism at their theme parks and hotels, as well as in the youth club aboard their ships. The convenience of having the access mechanism physically attached to you in a way such that you don't have to put down what you're carrying to take out a separate card is significant. And, along the lines of what CaveDiving said, as soon as you go from card to bracelet, it opens the door to upcharges for a superior quality bracelet perhaps. Disney goes "whole hog" at their parks, selling myriad ways to adorn your bracelet.

They do not. Royal Caribbean uses them (called WOW bands) on their newest ships. Something like an extra $5 (one time charge; they will be reissued on a different sailing because they include the muster assignment).

Roy

They do not. Royal Caribbean uses them (called WOW bands) on their newest ships. Something like an extra $5 (one time charge; they will be reissued on a different sailing because they include the muster assignment).

There you go... new revenue opportunities abound.

Started last cruise with new style white card with orange strip at bottom. When we made 4 star Mariners during the cruise the front desk exchanged our cards for white cards with blue stripe at bottom. Our room was an OV.

A friend on board who was 4 stars, staying in a balcony room who had a white card with an orange strip at bottom and was told they had run out of the blue striped cards.

No understanding here! Just observations. m--

That's neat. This is the first mention I can recall that changing star status was recognized on that cruise instead of on the next cruise. I wonder if any benefits went with it, like laundry. Yeah right, forget that. :)

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

That's neat. This is the first mention I can recall that changing star status was recognized on that cruise instead of on the next cruise. I wonder if any benefits went with it, like laundry. Yeah right, forget that. :)

Dennis

I noticed that too. Seems to hint at a change in policy and procedures unless this was done on one of the longer grand/world voyages where they were supposedly making mid-cruise adjustments.

You might be surprised at the complaints about these bracelets posted here on Cruise Critic. Some included:

- the colors won't match my outfits.

- the bracelet will cause an unwanted tan line.

- it will identify me as a tourist if I take it off the ship.

You might be surprised at the complaints about these bracelets posted here on Cruise Critic. Some included:

- the colors won't match my outfits.

- the bracelet will cause an unwanted tan line.

- it will identify me as a tourist if I take it off the ship.

I'm not surprised. We've had them on tours and more recently at a Mexican resort. Absolutely hate them.